Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

If the flashlight is anything like a maglite it'd make a good mace even without being able to blind someone with the laser. Luis Wu would be proud.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

That assumes the Shennies even acknowledge the engagement.  They probably maintain that it's (at most) all a ploy by Penny to get Sheldon's attention.

You should read the hate they are spreading over episode 7.23, they are loosing it. I'm sorry, but I went over there to read what they are saying and some of those people are seriously disturbed, I hope they are getting therapy.

One problem with not having Lenny in 4A is that it has been amply proven that the group is Leonard-centric. That is, the group meets where ever Leonard lives. If Sheldon is there alone, no one will hang out there but Amy (who of course will be pressing Sheldon to let her sleep over). Leonard in 4B is simply unworkable from the standpoint of the group dynamics. Furthermore, Sheldon has been such a PITA that the group is even less likely to hang there. One must also recall that Bernie and Amy are Penny's posse, so having Penny in with Leonard now is a double draw to the group. The writers have effectively painted themselves in a corner, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really have to agree with this.  Howard doesn't really like Sheldon and Raj would rather be with Leonard and Howard than Sheldon any day, so why would anyone go over to 4A if they could be in 4B without Sheldon.  The writers will have to force it and that will continue to ruin the continuity of the characters.  Myself and several others have said that the writers have been painting themself into a corner with Sheldon and what scares many of us Lenny's is that the writers are too invested in Sheldon to allow his character to flounder, so their go to response is to create Lenny drama to fix the situation, like keeping Leonard from moving out.

• Like 5

You should read the hate they are spreading over episode 7.23, they are loosing it. I'm sorry, but I went over there to read what they are saying and some of those people are seriously disturbed, I hope they are getting therapy.

I really have to agree with this. Howard doesn't really like Sheldon and Raj would rather be with Leonard and Howard than Sheldon any day, so why would anyone go over to 4A if they could be in 4B without Sheldon. The writers will have to force it and that will continue to ruin the continuity of the characters. Myself and several others have said that the writers have been painting themself into a corner with Sheldon and what scares many of us Lenny's is that the writers are too invested in Sheldon to allow his character to flounder, so their go to response is to create Lenny drama to fix the situation, like keeping Leonard from moving out.

I believe that regardless of the state of the Shamy, there will be Lenny drama. They can't even get engaged without yelling at each other. It probably makes for great make up sex, however. I would like to hear about them needing a steel frame bed though to replace the wooden one. There will be issues to confront, as they are from very different backgrounds, and we really haven't heard much about them discussing marriage issues. Kids is a big one. The results of the North Sea trip still haven't been discussed either. They did have one talk about who would move if one or the other's career necessitated it.

I think Shennies have always lived in an alternate reality, as there is really nothing in the show (and I've watched religiously and obsessively since the first episode) to suggest that either Penny or Sheldon had the least interest in each other. The very definition of a Platonic relationship. As recent as the finale Sheldon expressed a pure desire to avoid sex in general, as well as with Amy in particular. Since about the third episode you might have well as branded Penny with Leonard's name, since there has been a distinct and steady movement of Penny toward Leonard. At this point, Penny is the one encouraging separation from Sheldon for both of them. Sheldon is more likely to take up with Beverly than anyone other than Amy.

• Like 6

If the flashlight is anything like a maglite it'd make a good mace even without being able to blind someone with the laser. Luis Wu would be proud.

Sheldon as Pak protector, without Tree of Life. He is a toddler! Lol. Does that make Penny, Teela; Raj Speaker and Howard & Bernie, Nessus?

• Like 1

I believe that regardless of the state of the Shamy, there will be Lenny drama. They can't even get engaged without yelling at each other. It probably makes for great make up sex, however. I would like to hear about them needing a steel frame bed though to replace the wooden one. There will be issues to confront, as they are from very different backgrounds, and we really haven't heard much about them discussing marriage issues. Kids is a big one. The results of the North Sea trip still haven't been discussed either. They did have one talk about who would move if one or the other's career necessitated it.

I think Shennies have always lived in an alternate reality, as there is really nothing in the show (and I've watched religiously and obsessively since the first episode) to suggest that either Penny or Sheldon had the least interest in each other. The very definition of a Platonic relationship. As recent as the finale Sheldon expressed a pure desire to avoid sex in general, as well as with Amy in particular. Since about the third episode you might have well as branded Penny with Leonard's name, since there has been a distinct and steady movement of Penny toward Leonard. At this point, Penny is the one encouraging separation from Sheldon for both of them. Sheldon is more likely to take up with Beverly than anyone other than Amy.

There will be Lenny drama, it's only natural for the dynamics in a relationship to change as marriage looms near. Though I don't think they'll split up, otherwise the last 2 seasons will

have been an utter waste of time. The big issue for Lenny will be nudging Sheldon out into the world on his own, that's where I think a lot of conflict

will flare up between Penny and Leonard. I've never really gotten the Shenny thing. Penny and Sheldon are friends, nothing more. Penny is able to tease out

the nicer side of Sheldon out every now and then.

As far as Sheldon's aversion to sex goes ? It's more to do with him not wanting to deal with adult feelings or learn to interact with people

in a normal fashion. It's all about Sheldon's Intellect and Ego conflicting that causes his problems with others. The main reason as to why Sheldon continually mocks

Leonard's work is that I think deep down Sheldon knows Leonard has been doing great things while he's been stuck in a rut with string theory and not made much in

the way of advances towards a break through and one of his deepest desires - A Nobel Prize. It seems to me that the writers have set Sheldon and Lenny on the path

of separation. Both need it in order to grow. Or the characters will just be stuck in a rut and that's never good for a tv show. 

• Like 6

As unlikely as it is that either of them will get a Nobel prize, I want Leonard to get it for an idea that Sheldon derided as a waste of time and effort. Not only that, I want Howard, Raj, Amy and Kripke on the team as well after Sheldon turned down an offer to join.

Edited by eirwinrommel

TPTB have said that Penny was never intended to be a star, she was always suppose to be one of those many girls who come to Hollywood with stars in her eyes, so it makes you wonder if maybe Sheldon's Nobel is the same thing.

• Like 2

TPTB have said that Penny was never intended to be a star, she was always suppose to be one of those many girls who come to Hollywood with stars in her eyes, so it makes you wonder if maybe Sheldon's Nobel is the same thing.

The fact that Sheldon has been so vocal about seeking one, and now his desperation to leave string theory for more promising areas will almost ensure he won't get one. One gets prizes like that because your peers think you deserve it. Sheldon is openly contemptuous of basically everyone, so who in the scientific community would vote for him? He also has a reputation note for pulling serious scientific boners, so they aren't likely to trust anything he says until vigorously proven. He will be quite old before that happens. He had no chance in string theory anyway, as he was developing others ideas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The fact that Sheldon has been so vocal about seeking one, and now his desperation to leave string theory for more promising areas will almost ensure he won't get one. One gets prizes like that because your peers think you deserve it. Sheldon is openly contemptuous of basically everyone, so who in the scientific community would vote for him? He also has a reputation note for pulling serious scientific boners, so they aren't likely to trust anything he says until vigorously proven. He will be quite old before that happens. He had no chance in string theory anyway, as he was developing others ideas.

You have a very big point there, in the real world, Sheldon's blunder with the new element, that Leonard's experiments proved wrong, would really hurt his chances of getting a Nobel, because his peers would not soon forget his mistakes.

• Like 2

You have a very big point there, in the real world, Sheldon's blunder with the new element, that Leonard's experiments proved wrong, would really hurt his chances of getting a Nobel, because his peers would not soon forget his mistakes.

There is also the paper he gave to Hawking with the simple algebra error. It is unlikely that someone would get a Nobel in theoretical physics without Hawking's support.

The message I get is that poor old pedestrian Leonard, put down by both his "best friend" and the ice queen he has the misfortune to have to call mother, is the most likely to get tenure and any real peer recognition. Plus the love of a wonderful girl. Sheldon doesn't have the sense to see he is his own worst enemy. He should be thanking his lucky stats he met Leonard.

• Like 7

I have thought for the longest time that Dr Cooper is a legend in his own mind. Along with the mistakes and errors listed earlier, he has been bested time and again by peers at CalTech (Kripke & Leslie Winkle). If he didn't constantly elevate himself at the expense of those around him, perhaps there would be more sympathy in their community...

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 5

Who won the Physics Bowl? That was telling. Sheldon may discover humility; in ep 10.22. But he can't read the evidence in front of him.

I see a journey like Penny's in front of him. To achieve something he has to get over his ambition. But maybe Sheldon can find something serendipitously. Like astrophysics gave us Wi-fi and sticky tape gave us graphene.

Leonard though, doesn't seem to get stuck on work issues. I'm wondering if work will become a focus for him - all we have seen like that is the Hawking trip - the rest of his time seems pretty much free. He doesn't even teach.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

Leonard is just more balanced. Experimentally usually are, as they do stuff, or have to wait for the data to come in. If you think about the Artic trip, Sheldon wanted answers NOW, and the other guys knew it would take time. Leonard has to be patient. Look at the patience he displayed to get Penny. He went from no chance to having propose to him, and be quite forceful about it. Imagine if Sheldon wanted something from Amy and she didn't satisfy his want? Recall how he simply can't wait until the next day when getting an email from the president of the university regarding the Artic trip? Leonard will get there. It's been shown over and over that Leonard can get the job done.

• Like 7

Who won the Physics Bowl? That was telling. Sheldon may discover humility; in ep 10.22. But he can't read the evidence in front of him.

I see a journey like Penny's in front of him. To achieve something he has to get over his ambition. But maybe Sheldon can find something serendipitously. Like astrophysics gave us Wi-fi and sticky tape gave us graphene.

Leonard though, doesn't seem to get stuck on work issues. I'm wondering if work will become a focus for him - all we have seen like that is the Hawking trip - the rest of his time seems pretty much free. He doesn't even teach.

Agree about Sheldon's journey. Perhaps time away will help him to admit that change will equal growth.

On Leonard, I think he is able to compartmentalize. I would imagine that experimental physicists are as busy as the theoretical physicists can keep them. That along with governmental projects I imagine are giving him plenty of work. Plus, he is a fricken' genius...

Tapatalk

• Like 5

I have thought for the longest time that Dr Cooper is a legend in his own mind. Along with the mistakes and errors listed earlier, he has been bested time and again by peers at CalTech (Kripke & Leslie Winkle). If he didn't constantly elevate himself at the expense of those around him, perhaps there would be more sympathy in their community...

Tapatalk

If you look at all the episodes, Sheldon is really the person holding Leonard down.  It is very understandable why Sheldon has not been offered tenure until season 6, he has probably been on staff probabtion so much during his career that he has never been considered.  Let's face it, he snubs his nose to the school President, dumped slime on members of the board, embarrassed the university with his premature artic trip claims and the new element, and had valid sexual harrassment changes levied on him, just to name a few things.  Poor Leonard was falsely labeled as partner of the board member slime stunt, brought it front of the HR department by Sheldon to distract focus on him, and had to bear some of the blame for the artic trip, all because of Sheldon.  If not for Sheldon, Leonard would probably have tenure by now. 

Also the thing with the rocket fuel only happened because Sheldon drove them all out of the apartment in the first place, cause and effect.  Everything bad that has happened to Leonard, Sheldon is somehow involved in.  Even Leonard's first real date with Penny, Sheldon fed her insecurity about not being smart enough for Leonard, by telling Penny about all the smart girls he had dated previously, with ended up escallating until she convinced herself Leonard thought she was stupid.

Sheldon is the anchor in Leonard's life, especially now as he is upset Leonard is picking Penny over him.

• Like 7

Leonard has to be busy, (they just don't show his work) besides the work he does for the military, he disproved Sheldon's element. Those experiments take time. They must be run multiple times to confirm the results. Unlike Sheldon's work, which he doesn't even proof read to check for mistakes.

• Like 3

If you look at all the episodes, Sheldon is really the person holding Leonard down. It is very understandable why Sheldon has not been offered tenure until season 6, he has probably been on staff probabtion so much during his career that he has never been considered. Let's face it, he snubs his nose to the school President, dumped slime on members of the board, embarrassed the university with his premature artic trip claims and the new element, and had valid sexual harrassment changes levied on him, just to name a few things. Poor Leonard was falsely labeled as partner of the board member slime stunt, brought it front of the HR department by Sheldon to distract focus on him, and had to bear some of the blame for the artic trip, all because of Sheldon. If not for Sheldon, Leonard would probably have tenure by now.

Also the thing with the rocket fuel only happened because Sheldon drove them all out of the apartment in the first place, cause and effect. Everything bad that has happened to Leonard, Sheldon is somehow involved in. Even Leonard's first real date with Penny, Sheldon fed her insecurity about not being smart enough for Leonard, by telling Penny about all the smart girls he had dated previously, with ended up escallating until she convinced herself Leonard thought she was stupid.

Sheldon is the anchor in Leonard's life, especially now as he is upset Leonard is picking Penny over him.

And does he complain or whine about it? NO! He does what Leonard does best: be a true friend, despite what he gets in return (derision; remarks that his work is unoriginal and derivative, constant sniping about his girlfriend and jibes at the [ivy League] university he attended).

Tapatalk

• Like 6

@sram, Anchor. A terrific metaphor that plays both ways. They were each keeping each other on the one spot. Now Leonard has let go, but he has a course. Sheldon is literally adrift.

i cant say how much i hope the TPTB can take proper advantage of this opportunity and keep things familiar but fresh. I have no clue how.

• Like 3

@sram, Anchor. A terrific metaphor that plays both ways. They were each keeping each other on the one spot. Now Leonard has let go, but he has a course. Sheldon is literally adrift.

i cant say how much i hope the TPTB can take proper advantage of this opportunity and keep things familiar but fresh. I have no clue how.

Of course you are correct, Leonard is not perfect either, he enables Sheldon by just doing most of the wild things he demands, which holds Sheldon back like an anchor, too.  The big difference is how it is handled by the writers, Leonard's problem is he is too empathetic, while Sheldon's is he is too selfish.  That is why Penny telling him to let Sheldon go, is a perfect example of what Stuart said, together Leonard and Penny made a perfect person who knows what to do in almost all situations, she knew for Sheldon to grow, he had to leave.  What is sad is Amy is so in love with Sheldon she has trouble letting him be hurt and suffering to solve his own problems, she wants to protect him. 

• Like 5

Another thing to remember is that in the first appearance of Prof Proton, Leonard is deemed by Proton to be the genius. We also see who he wants to work with later.

• Like 4