The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

IMO everything is not going to be smooth sailing with Penny and Leonard from now on....... but it will be mostly, although there will be occasional small bumps.  I think what we will see is more of them getting closer together emotionally and less focus on the sexual portion of their relationship, although it will still be there.  I think that the problems they will have will be more about them having to deal with other people and relatives as they get closer to being married.  I am looking forward to seeing more of Penny's family showing up.

• Like 4

Good point Squidley.

It's interesting that in Recombination Hypothesis, it's Leonard's scenario dream that has Penny initiating the sex, like that's all she has to offer but the reality is that she is the one who wants to develop the new relationship slowly without the sex. Then when she finally decides it time to go faster, she still puts in the proviso that she doesn't want to do anything to ruin the relationship that had them in such a place. The same thought was evident after their first date in Season 2 ep 1. She wanted to take things slow because she wanted something more than sex.

I think for a long time she thought Leonard only appreciated her for the sex. The S3 I love you came after sex ( although Yoda quote helped), the first proposal came during sex. When she had that S6 epiphany moment of I forgot how smart you are and that's why she loves him, she thought she had to give him sex to show him. In Raiders, sex was the solution to his sadness. But it was all about the idea that Leonard needed sex from her, not the other way around that she was the sex crazed one.

That's why the toning down of the sex in the second half of Season 7 is so important to the relationship. The car gift scene is great because she doesn't know what to say and he says she doesn't have to say anything. It's like you don't have to do anything. I just want you to be happy - it doesn't have to be about me getting something back.

The proposal knock backs from Leonard are important because he always stresses it's about her being happy, not him.

Telling Sheldon during the living arrangements talk that he wants to give Penny the life she deserves.

That's why the engagement is solid because it's no longer about the sex, which it was in Season 3 and that's why it ultimately failed back then.

And Season 8 can then be about building story lines around their non sexual relationship and doing other things together. Penny accepting her interest in geek culture and Leonard finally enjoying a Nebraska football match or a Lakers game. This needs to happen to erase all doubt and make marriage a rock solid deal.

I am with you on all you said but not the one about penny being sex crazy. No one said that. She loves leonard so much she will do anything for him just like leonard will do the same just because.. like SRAM said. Team.... great can't spell his surname. Be back in a bit. Just need to Google something. ☺

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I am with you on all you said but not the one about penny being sex crazy. No one said that. She loves leonard so much she will do anything for him just like leonard will do the same just because.. like SRAM said. Team.... great can't spell his surname. Be back in a bit. Just need to Google something. ☺

Tonstar, I'm not saying anyone here said Penny was sex crazed. On the contrary, everyone here seems to be supporting the opposite. I'm referring to the constant characterization by Sheldon that she is. Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 2

Tonstar, I'm not saying anyone here said Penny was sex crazed. On the contrary, everyone here seems to be supporting the opposite. I'm referring to the constant characterization by Sheldon that she is.

Ok got the wrong end of the stick. School boy error.

That would be great, if TBBT was filmed in a foreign location, say Italy or France.  It would be funny seeing Leonard getting really jealous if some Italian of French guy hit on Penny; he would use the google translator app to tell the European dudes to back off from his woman.  More realistically, I could see TBBT being shot in say New Jersey if the writers want to kind bring back Leonard home.  In terms of career, I think she would succeed as a trader in commodities futures or hogs futures.  The foundation of such financial derivatives is based on mathematical equations and Leonard is mathematical wiz. Leonard would be market analyst and Penny the trader. 

You nailed it Rickfromillinois, from now on, we will see Lenny emotional closeness than their bedroom play.  Their bedroom play is always there, but implied  or not seen, kind like 1940's Hollywood, bedroom play was there but not seen.  Yep, from now on, Lenny have to deal with their relatives in preparation for their wedding.  And hopefully we will finally see Leonard's father and Penny's mother.  Leonard's siblings and Penny's siblings, I think she has a sister.

• Like 1

You nailed it Rickfromillinois, from now on, we will see Lenny emotional closeness than their bedroom play.....

I think you are right and, while I do think they have sorted out their intimacy issues and they are happy with the dimensions of their private life and there is no need for keeping score anymore (not that the numbers mattered anyway), it's still going to be cute to see them have the odd chat in bed, because that will reinforce that they are a couple and not just flatmates. So I'd like to hope for the occasional scene of them waking up or getting ready for bed. Maybe one of each, minimum.

• Like 4

I hope you're all wrong and that Season 8 is one big ole bed-breaking orgy!!!

LOL. This is endearingly optimistic. I hope you are proved correct.

edit: om not sure if only two can have an orgy, but we can certainly wish them more than thirty six hours. Or maybe just a whole "glorious summer". :)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 6

edit: om not sure if only two can have an orgy, but we can certainly wish them more than thirty six hours. Or maybe just a whole "glorious summer". :)

They go all summer, doing it on every horizontal surface in the apartment (and quite a few of the vertical ones), to the point where just about every piece of furniture and their possessions are trashed. They then spend enormous sums of money to replace everything so that the apartment looks exactly the way it was when Sheldon returns from going walkabout. When he walks in, he immediately notices that something is 1/10th of a centimeter out of place, deduces everything that went on, and refuses to continue living there until the entire apartment is disinfected. He then plays musical apartments, annoying the hell out of everyone he stays with, until he winds up at Amy's, who does one of her Jedi mind tricks on Sheldon to convince him to move back to his apartment without him ever knowing he was being manipulated.

• Like 8

I think you are right and, while I do think they have sorted out their intimacy issues and they are happy with the dimensions of their private life and there is no need for keeping score anymore (not that the numbers mattered anyway), it's still going to be cute to see them have the odd chat in bed, because that will reinforce that they are a couple and not just flatmates. So I'd like to hope for the occasional scene of them waking up or getting ready for bed. Maybe one of each, minimum.

Yeah the first episode should open with them in bed in the morning, having breakfast, safe in the knowledge that HE won't be barging in on them anytime soon and end with them saying goodnight . Episode 2 then will probably open the same way until we hear a key opening the front door. There's your one of each minimum, nograv.

Realistically, it will probably play out like the getting ready for bed scenes over at Howardette's place. That appears to be the BBT married couple standard. Although because Lenny are more central to the show, the cameras may linger longer in their bedroom than Casa Wolowitz.

They go all summer, doing it on every horizontal surface in the apartment (and quite a few of the vertical ones), to the point where just about every piece of furniture and their possessions are trashed. They then spend enormous sums of money to replace everything so that the apartment looks exactly the way it was when Sheldon returns from going walkabout. When he walks in, he immediately notices that something is 1/10th of a centimeter out of place, deduces everything that went on, and refuses to continue living there until the entire apartment is disinfected. He then plays musical apartments, annoying the hell out of everyone he stays with, until he winds up at Amy's, who does one of her Jedi mind tricks on Sheldon to convince him to move back to his apartment without him ever knowing he was being manipulated.

Actually change of plan. we will go with this instead!

• Like 2

He'd have no room to, as his is quite wild.

Agreed on the rest though.

Lol. But i guess my response is why is it an issue at all. He's the one she is with. All that was then, and this is now. And I know what I'm talking about here.

• Like 1

I hope you're all wrong and that Season 8 is one big ole bed-breaking orgy!!!

It would be cute if she went on girls night out and kept getting hit on making her want Leonard more and more, so when she gets back to the apartments she goes gets him for 36 hours of meaningless (Of course it really is not meaningless) sex.  Sheldon can bitch all weeked about Penny's headboard pounding against the wall all weekend too. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I feel the same way, but remember Penny was the same way, Raj told her that sex was the only arrow in her quiver.  They were like two bunnies in season 3, but that was probably like all Penny's relationships before and Leonard was so stuck on her that he was just following her lead.  I think since they got back together we have seen a deeper relationship between them.  We now see them working together, 'Team Hofstadter', and dealing with serious stuff, like Penny's career.  We really didn't get that stuff in Season 3, them working on things that benefited them as a couple, so their relationship now is much deeper than season 3.  Anyway I sort of wonder if the reason we don't see so many bed scenes anymore is that the writers are trying to put that across, that they are more than just sex now.

It's like Raj said they both bring out the best in each other, though it's taken time to get to that point. Season 3 was the lust stage, season 4 was Penny realising she made a mistake and Leonard growing and gaining some

confidence, leading into season 5 where they got back together. The key moment for me was in Season 6 when Penny went from considering breaking up with Leonard because her feelings for him were freaking her out to

throwing herself into the relationship. Had that not happened the engagement would likely not have dove tailed as it did in season 7. It's almost like the writers had a plan they were vaguely following.

• Like 2

It's like Raj said they both bring out the best in each other, though it's taken time to get to that point. Season 3 was the lust stage, season 4 was Penny realising she made a mistake and Leonard growing and gaining some

confidence, leading into season 5 where they got back together. The key moment for me was in Season 6 when Penny went from considering breaking up with Leonard because her feelings for him were freaking her out to

throwing herself into the relationship. Had that not happened the engagement would likely not have dove tailed as it did in season 7. It's almost like the writers had a plan they were vaguely following.

Actually, I believe that was Stuart, but I like the rest

Happy Lenny Week. Feel like I should try & do something. Maybe try & write a fanfic. Never written one before.

#scary

• Like 1

Happy Lenny Week. Feel like I should try & do something. Maybe try & write a fanfic. Never written one before.

#scary

You should definitely try!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

You should definitely try!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

I don't know, maybe will give it a go but thanks will be fun to do. Just need to get my confidences level up.

• Like 1

Lenny are like Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B with Sheldon being Proxima Centauri, orbiting Lenny from far.  Like it or not, but Sheldon will somehow be always part of Lenny's life.  I hope Amy comes to the rescue.  Beginning of Season 10 we will se Amy and Sheldon living together, that should make for an interesting experiment.  And as I said before, Sheldon has to start treating Penny with much more respect and time for Leonard to step up In that regard, and don't let Sheldon disrespect his fiancée. Hopefully we will see Penny put her foot down to Beverly regarding her horrible treatment of Leonard.  Beverly treats Leonard with disdain, coldness and distance, and for Beverly that is normal, really sad to see, even though she loves her son.  They should do an episode of switching the moms.  Leonard interacts with Sheldon's mom and while Sheldon interacts with Leonard's mom.   I wonder what kind of initiation will the girls do to Emily in order to welcome her to the group? I cant wait for Penny's dad to show up and thanking him for not giving up on Penny, which Leonard would have never of course give up.  The episode where Wyatt tells Leonard not give up on Penny, cause he wants grandkids, that episode to me made Leonard realize to work harder for Penny's heart; and it worked.  Good things do happen with hard work.  I can see Lenny and Howardette giving advise to Raj with Emily. (Rajmily)

Lenny are like Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B with Sheldon being Proxima Centauri, orbiting Lenny from far. Like it or not, but Sheldon will somehow be always part of Lenny's life. I hope Amy comes to the rescue. Beginning of Season 10 we will se Amy and Sheldon living together, that should make for an interesting experiment. And as I said before, Sheldon has to start treating Penny with much more respect and time for Leonard to step up In that regard, and don't let Sheldon disrespect his fiancée. Hopefully we will see Penny put her foot down to Beverly regarding her horrible treatment of Leonard. Beverly treats Leonard with disdain, coldness and distance, and for Beverly that is normal, really sad to see, even though she loves her son. They should do an episode of switching the moms. Leonard interacts with Sheldon's mom and while Sheldon interacts with Leonard's mom. I wonder what kind of initiation will the girls do to Emily in order to welcome her to the group? I cant wait for Penny's dad to show up and thanking him for not giving up on Penny, which Leonard would have never of course give up. The episode where Wyatt tells Leonard not give up on Penny, cause he wants grandkids, that episode to me made Leonard realize to work harder for Penny's heart; and it worked. Good things do happen with hard work. I can see Lenny and Howardette giving advise to Raj with Emily. (Rajmily)

So much potentials for S8 switching mother's. ( they do have the mothers the wrong way) That will be so funny tho, the interacting and the realisation that they both sticking up for the wrong sons. Wyatt so happy for lenny. L/P dealing with sheldon and living arrangement. Etc. but got to say, leonard did give up on penny for awhile but then again so did penny. Can't get round penny not making a move or at least trying to get leonard back after the split from priya, considering penny was wanting him most of S4 it doesn't make sense. Rajmily, for me I only dig 1 ship and that's lenny but who's to say I wouldn't follow their progress if she comes back. Will just like them just like I like shamy.

Ive always thought Leonard and Sheldon's mother showed irony. Looking at Sheldons mother you would think Mary would be best suited to Leonard, and Bev more suited to Sheldon. But then again considering how analytical and socially inept he is, it was prob for the best Mary was his mother, she installed ideals and values Sheldon was most likely resistant his entire childhood lol, but Sheldon found out resistance is futile!! And of course Sheldon has a great relationship with his MeeMaw, well according to Sheldon anyway lol. Where as horrible as Bev can be, she's a very clinical person, so she clinically approaches Leonard like she does in all of life, Leonard and Sheldon's relationship is nt that different from Leonard's with Bev. Bev and Sheldon hold Leonard in no regard, but do care about him, just don't know how to show it. It's just normal for them to show tough love you could say? And not show any form of love or affection at all. So this is probably why Leonard dated women like Joyce Kim and Priya, strong independent women, who clinically were cutting out the middle man. Kinda like how in Taahm Charlie mounted most of Malibu haha, due to his maternal issues with his Mother. Remember one episode in S4, Alan's like when Charlie was dating a women who had a uncanny resemblance to Evelyn. "Now your just cutting out the middle man" haha. Where as Penny was his Queen, or was A Queen until he become his Queen. Penny was the complete opposite of Bev, Warm, Affectionate e.t.c. And actually although was anti-geek, accepted Leonard for who he was. Remember S1 Nerdvanna Annilation, after Penny blew a gasket she later apologised and said "It's what you love which makes you who you are" Which of course was met by Howard "Well in that case does that make me big breasts" haha. I also too think Sheldon well always be part of their lifes, apart from living across the hall, or if Leonard stays. He's like a Lenny wart, at first it wont go away and annoying, and now still annoying but you've grown to it, and you've got used to it haha.

• Like 3

He's like a Lenny wart, at first it wont go away and annoying, and now still annoying but you've grown to it, and you've got used to it haha.

Oh, I like that analogy. Good one, 3ku11!

Lenny in S3 was pretty much an experimental relationship, even Penny eluded to that. Both Leonard and Penny were the complete opposite o. F their types. So alot of the relationship early on was sex, making out alot of lust involved. Opposed to later on love and their emotional bond. Lenny in S2 with the lime scene, really showed their sexual chemistry. So in S3 you saw alot of sexual tension rapidly unfold in S3, without any real honesty all their depth to their relationship. So Penny wld hulk out and Leonard never self assured enough to challenge her, ala that big fight about her ex musician. And when they broke up because Penny was freaked out, and was not ready for the lvl of emotional commitment Leonard was seeking. So after that very public breakup (remember Penny was the sole female in th0at scene, so she was essentially isolated). Penny thought per usual sge cld revert bk into normal pre-disposistion of dating dumb gym guys. But i dont think Penny even inherently realized the effect Leonard had on her.

So her tolerance for dumb guys started to wane, hence why she had a drunken one night stand with Leonard. It was her way of reserting bk to her factory defaults, and obviousley Drunk Penny does not make the best decisions. I kno alot of ppl hv accused Penny of doing stupid things drunk, but most of that behaviour inherently anyway, erradicated by S4 with the finalie being an exception. But as bad as that was, it made her hit rock bottom, and was a catalyst for change in her life. Obviousley since then she has made far better, more grown up decisions when drinking. Its alot more refined now. Even in S4 when the girls went out, Penny hardly drank at all, Amy was the one who got drunk. I think with Pennys self actulization being deconstructed, shes fully embraced she is the meant to be with the Geek fr across the hall. The good, the bad, the ugly ;)

Her insecurities, his insecurities. Its no longer geeky, socially awkward guy and hot girl next door, they have become equals. And are now both on the same page, so through all their experiences they have been through as Friends, together, not together. Has all bn part of the change in their lives, and has all contributed to the depth in their relationahip. And which explains why since S5, its become a more honest relationship, and its now a requitted, equal partnership. Penny still has insecurities. But its no longer about their relationship, but her own. When she does have them shes no longer hulking out, shes up front about them, and if shes really angry with Leonard, she just ignores him now and cools off.

Opposed to S3, when Penny beleives in psychics, Leonard was trying to reason with her, and she just kept walking and slammed the door in his face haha. So S3 = Experiment S5 = Beta Version to iron out Bugs, also taught them the art of compromise Ak.a Lenny 2.0. S6&7 = Final Product being released to the public, a balance of the physical and the emotional, and more importantly Penny embracing her true feelings for Leonard. Wont be smooth sailing, but at this stage cant see a break up, their well be issues, but the one thing Lenny has over say Ross and Rachel, or even Ted and Robin. Is 1. No where near as on and off 2. Lenny work on their relationship more, more in common with Monica and Chandler and Marshall and Lilly.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

I have a different opinion on that, Tonstar.

Leonard was still pretty immature emotionally after the breakup and while it hurt him deeply during end of Season 3 up until hooking up with Priya, I think it was still too much about sex - Plimpton and Mrs Latham was desperate sex, each time he tried to hook up with Penny it was about sex and making out rather than their deep bond (Love Car, Boyfriend Complexity, "friends who have sex" in the Sheldon goes to Disneyland episode, season 3 finale), initially I think Priya was a sex thing as well since she initiated it. To be honest, anyone who offered he took the offer. So I don't think he was ready to REALLY reunite with Penny until he really thought it through - which was the whole point of the Recombination I guess. Its not that he gave up on her, he just didn't want the repeat of Lenny 1.0, which I've said before was more lust rather than love (hence the constant Season 3 pillow talk scenes we all miss!)

As for Penny, she was an absolute emotional wreck throughout much of Season 4 and the Plimpton/Latham/Priya events rocked her big time. She already had doubts, even though she knew she had feelings  - Justice League was sad and so was the "Goodbye Leonard", snowflake reflection and Raj admission during the Priya era. She needed Leonard to take action to know he still loved her before she could even think about going down that path. Plus the whole discussion about Alice vs Priya wouldn't have given her any great confidence in Leonard's commitment levels or maturity. And it was only 5 episodes between the Priya breakup and their reuniting, with the 'not a date' episode in between ( and she threw out a bit of a hint at him in that anyway with her take control Leonard comment) so I don't think she had much time to make a move before he did anyway

I think the writers got the timing with the whole Lenny relationship pretty much spot on from Season 1 to 7. 

Season 1 - testing the waters

Season 2 - recognising the true feelings

Season 3 - Lenny 1.0 - good effort but we are not ready for a true commitment, either of us.

Season 4 - Is there someone else for us or do we truly belong with each other. Penny realises her mistake. Leonard still happy with sex from anyone ( a little harsh I know but.....)

Season 5 - Lenny 2.0 - lets do it right this time

Season 6 - Settling the issue - yes we do love each other

Season 7- Let's just make sure before we finally commit - yes lets get married.

For the characters they both are, with all their insecurities and immaturity, I think they got it right.

As much as I hated season 4, I think Leonard gained confidence from his time with Penny and used that in his pursuit of the opposite sex. Success there in turn gave him confidence to approach Penny again. 

So, I hated season 4 even though it was necessary, and I hate even more that Tensor is right.  :icon_lol:

• Like 4