The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

So, I hated season 4 even though it was necessary, and I hate even more that Tensor is right.  :icon_lol:

I do get lucky, from time to time. :)

• Like 3

They had a basic plan in regards to Penny and Leonard (pretty obvious, but I'm assuming they made it up as they developed the characters and then reacting to the

actors interpretations of the scripts to screen. They might have a rough idea of how they want to end it, but I'm guessing like JK Rowling did with the epilogue of

the Deathly Hallows it will change when the end arrives (she rewrote the epilogue as she changed the story from what she'd planned when she plotted the books. In Order of the Phoenix, Mr Weasley was going

to die at the fangs of Nagini but she changed her mind and killed off Lupin and Tonks instead).

Actually, I believe that was Stuart, but I like the rest

Yes it was Stuart, I was thinking of what Raj said to them before they kicked him out. But Raj and Stuart have been bang

on the money about Lenny.

• Like 1

Yes it was Stuart, I was thinking of what Raj said to them before they kicked him out. But Raj and Stuart have been bang

on the money about Lenny.

Interesting you use bang, with regard to Raj and Lenny. ;)

• Like 2

I never understood the double standard, starting with when I found out that being with girls was fun. Logic to me was that if I wanted to have sex, then I needed to find a girl that also wanted to have sex. The guys trashing girls because they "put out" seemed the height of stupidity. Even now, I hear the girls in my research lab disparaging other girls for being "easy" as a reason why they can't find decent guys. First of all, how do they know? Is someone spreading tales which may or may not be true? And why is it a big deal? This generation seems to have gotten over many racial stereotypes, but as far as this sort of thing goes, the double standard is alive and well.

The evidence on the show is that Bernie got around far more than Penny. Recall that she was the one that explained the three date "rule" to Howard, basically implying that she was ready to put out. Clearly Amy is dying to have sex with Sheldon, and participated in studies that induced orgasm, so why isn't she a slut? Mainly because she didn't have the social skills or appearance to make it happen. Penny is gorgeous and dresses hot, so she must be a slut. Bernie dresses demurely, and likely got around quite a bit. She was attracted to Howard, after all. Priya hooked up with Leonard every chance she got a chance just as an occasional visitor, and was chatting up her old boyfriend while sleeping with Leonard.

The only one that seems to persist in characterizing Penny as a slut is Sheldon, which as has been mentioned, only rejects that God part of his repressive upbringing, but clings to all the rest. In this regard, even his mother has better balance. Sheldon has no idea what he is talking about, and Leonard should make it clear that his place in their lives will end if he ever disparages Penny again, for any reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just going to say no one used the word slut more than Penny herself. She talked about the walk of shame. Leonard did not seem to feel shame in the same way. Sheldon has no idea what he is talking about when sex is part of the topic.

Leonard, Howard and Raj seem to have been (in the earlier seasons) completely indiscriminate on who they have sex with. They seem to be (or have already) grown out of that. They are maturing and I like that. This is one of the reasons I liked season 7 far more than some of the early seasons.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Clearly, Penny has reconsidered her career. Her statement "I need to start making some smart decisions." indicates she doesn't consider her acting career (or drinking for that matter) a smart decision. Her first 'smart decision' was to turn down the drink Leonard offered her, her second was to propose to Leonard (both good choices). The question is what will she do financially. Right now she's at a crossroads, she can go back to waitressing and be unhappy or go to school to learn something else. I think she'll go back to school, I don't know for what (and she may continue to wait tables part time while she goes to school) but I hope it will be for something she enjoys doing. Of course now that she's committed to Leonard her acting career (if the Psychic was talking about her) will take off and she'll have her career and her love life.

I don't know if the writers will follow up on Penny's proclamation of " I need to start making good decisions" , but it would be great if they did. I agree with the two smart decisions you mentioned , I disagree with you on the acting. I believe that the way making smart decisions would apply to her career is not necessarily her giving it up, but doing it for different reasons, doing ot because it is something she loves and is passionate about and not jsut to become famous. Also I think however consciously or unconsciously it is stated that Penny also means she needs to mature and grow up, which means that whatever she does from now on will probably be within the context of her future life with Leonard. I think she knows that it is not just about her anymore, that it is about what Leonard and her can accomplish together. I might be reading too much into it , I know, but since you brought it up, I think (in hindsight) that that statement is almost as important as the proposal.

• Like 4

I have a different opinion on that, Tonstar.

Leonard was still pretty immature emotionally after the breakup and while it hurt him deeply during end of Season 3 up until hooking up with Priya, I think it was still too much about sex - Plimpton and Mrs Latham was desperate sex, each time he tried to hook up with Penny it was about sex and making out rather than their deep bond (Love Car, Boyfriend Complexity, "friends who have sex" in the Sheldon goes to Disneyland episode, season 3 finale), initially I think Priya was a sex thing as well since she initiated it. To be honest, anyone who offered he took the offer. So I don't think he was ready to REALLY reunite with Penny until he really thought it through - which was the whole point of the Recombination I guess. Its not that he gave up on her, he just didn't want the repeat of Lenny 1.0, which I've said before was more lust rather than love (hence the constant Season 3 pillow talk scenes we all miss!)

As for Penny, she was an absolute emotional wreck throughout much of Season 4 and the Plimpton/Latham/Priya events rocked her big time. She already had doubts, even though she knew she had feelings  - Justice League was sad and so was the "Goodbye Leonard", snowflake reflection and Raj admission during the Priya era. She needed Leonard to take action to know he still loved her before she could even think about going down that path. Plus the whole discussion about Alice vs Priya wouldn't have given her any great confidence in Leonard's commitment levels or maturity. And it was only 5 episodes between the Priya breakup and their reuniting, with the 'not a date' episode in between ( and she threw out a bit of a hint at him in that anyway with her take control Leonard comment) so I don't think she had much time to make a move before he did anyway

I think the writers got the timing with the whole Lenny relationship pretty much spot on from Season 1 to 7. 

Season 1 - testing the waters

Season 2 - recognising the true feelings

Season 3 - Lenny 1.0 - good effort but we are not ready for a true commitment, either of us.

Season 4 - Is there someone else for us or do we truly belong with each other. Penny realises her mistake. Leonard still happy with sex from anyone ( a little harsh I know but.....)

Season 5 - Lenny 2.0 - lets do it right this time

Season 6 - Settling the issue - yes we do love each other

Season 7- Let's just make sure before we finally commit - yes lets get married.

For the characters they both are, with all their insecurities and immaturity, I think they got it right.

I love your Seven Seasons of Penny and Leonard!  I also have to say that I can't think of anyone who does love sick and heartbroken like Johnny-usually without having to say a word. He is amazing!

• Like 3

I want to see Penny succeed in her chosen career. I think she will not be truly happy until that dream comes true, but I also think she will be happy with just getting small acting jobs here & there and doing what she loves. Don't get me wrong I am not implying that she is not happy with Leonard she totally is. I just think for her to be complete she needs some of that dream.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I don't know, maybe will give it a go but thanks will be fun to do. Just need to get my confidences level up.

I think the key would be for you to write for yourself, to satisfy the need in you to do so. Don't even consider what otehr people might think. Once you finish it, you decide if YOU consider it good enough to sahre it or not. Good luck!

• Like 3

I think the key would be for you to write for yourself, to satisfy the need in you to do so. Don't even consider what otehr people might think. Once you finish it, you decide if YOU consider it good enough to sahre it or not. Good luck!

Thank you Carlos. I will try but don't know if I will ever publish it. Started writing something today but nerves got the better of me.

• Like 1

I want to see Penny succeed in her chosen career. I think she will not be truly happy until that dream comes true, but I also think she will be happy with just getting small acting jobs here & there and doing what she loves. Don't get me wrong I am not implying that she is not happy with Leonard she totally is. I just think for her to be complete she needs some of that dream.

I think, after them being engaged, Leonard has too much stake in her to let her fail. She has committed to be his wife in the future so he is going to ramp up his support for her. As a matter of fact, I could see that as a conflict point in season 8, Leonard being overprotective of her and trying to help her too much, like when he wrote her history paper for her. He still wants to protect her from being hurt, but like she told him before she needs to do some things on her own.

• Like 1

I think, after them being engaged, Leonard has too much stake in her to let her fail. She has committed to be his wife in the future so he is going to ramp up his support for her. As a matter of fact, I could see that as a conflict point in season 8, Leonard being overprotective of her and trying to help her too much, like when he wrote her history paper for her. He still wants to protect her from being hurt, but like she told him before she needs to do some things on her own.

What I would like in S8, lenny working together as one and knowing when to give each other space. Especially leonard.

I hope he doesn't try too hard as leonard tends to mess things up why trying to help or cheer penny up when she's down or having a crisis. He should be able to know by now when to leave penny to deal with it on her own unless she asks for his help. Bless him he trys so hard. But leonard will always be there for Penny because he wants her to be happy and give her the life she deserves, but you are right sometimes he needs to back off a bit and let her do stuff on her own so she knows that she can accomplish things

• Like 2

I think Leonard will take care of the basics for roof, food, gas, and a pair of shoes periodically. This will give Penny the basis of which to excel at whatever she chooses. If Leonard makes that mistake of over compensating I am sure Penny can correct the mistake.

Edited by Squidley
  • Like 3

I think Leonard will take care of the basics for roof, food, gas, and a pair of shoes periodically. This will give Penny the basis of which to excel at whatever she chooses. If Leonard makes that mistake of over compensating I am sure Penny can correct the mistake.

Yeah but I think at some point penny will like to earn her way and do all those things jointly not depend on leonard. She is a strong woman and will put him in his place if needed. As for shoes, with Penny's expensive taste I am going annually.

I don't know if the writers will follow up on Penny's proclamation of " I need to start making good decisions" , but it would be great if they did. I agree with the two smart decisions you mentioned , I disagree with you on the acting. I believe that the way making smart decisions would apply to her career is not necessarily her giving it up, but doing it for different reasons, doing ot because it is something she loves and is passionate about and not jsut to become famous. Also I think however consciously or unconsciously it is stated that Penny also means she needs to mature and grow up, which means that whatever she does from now on will probably be within the context of her future life with Leonard. I think she knows that it is not just about her anymore, that it is about what Leonard and her can accomplish together. I might be reading too much into it , I know, but since you brought it up, I think (in hindsight) that that statement is almost as important as the proposal.

On the acting, I meant that at the time she saw acting as not a smart choice, because of the long odds against success. Of course if in the future something happens to cause her career to take off (remember she was about to return to Nebraska before she got the hemorrhoid commercial) she'll see that as a 'sign' to continue acting (at least part time). I think though that in any case she'll come up with a decision to look for something else (besides waiting tables) to do.

• Like 1

Oh waaaaay off topic, just hit my 100th post yaaaaay. Thanks walnutcowboy for my new PIP.

• Like 1

No thanks. Penny was surviving semi-alright even before she got a job in the movie, I have no desire to hear of her being dependent on Leonard. This sounds like him giving her an allowance as if he is some sort of sugar daddy, gross. No reason to believe she won't be contributing to their finances now that they are living together. 

Hope to see her having acting success. The writers really can't claim they want to be realistic when they have a character like Sheldon holding down a job.  

• Like 6

I think the whole "Pretty blonde girl working as a waitress, struggling as a actress" ship has sailed. I agree no way do I want Leonard to take "care" of Penny, Penny has always been very self independent, part of what attracted Leonard to Penny. She has managed with help from Sheldon haha, to pay rent, work, and generally have regular income. I also think it would be disengenious and a double standard to go oh Leonard takes care of the basics, then Penny can continue looking all pretty lol. Sheldon should have been fired from his job ages ago, he's actually not as good as he thinks he is, but that's a story for another thread and another day. I do too hope they continue to progress Penny's acting career, if your going to do something at least stand by it, the writers made the premise of her character as an aspiring actress, its the route of her happiness and self-actualization. So cannot see a career change at this point, show some continuity with it.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

No thanks. Penny was surviving semi-alright even before she got a job in the movie, I have no desire to hear of her being dependent on Leonard. This sounds like him giving her an allowance as if he is some sort of sugar daddy, gross. No reason to believe she won't be contributing to their finances now that they are living together.

Hope to see her having acting success. The writers really can't claim they want to be realistic when they have a character like Sheldon holding down a job.

i hope this too, but does being married change anything? As long as she is working at finding work, is it wrong for them to be an economic unit? He can't be a sugar daddy if they are married and she is just in a period of unemployment. Or are you saying she must not marry until she has economic independence forever?

edit: not trying to be difficult, just trying to see the nuance. :)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

Nah, I'm with Daisy Jane. I want to maintain the independent girl from the first seasons, the one that felt really guilty about owing Sheldon money, the one that got the help from Leonard to budget more efficiently, the one who used candles to compensate for electricity rather than get help paying her bill, the one who refused to take the $11 back from Leonard eve though that was the last $11 she had, the one who brought home leftovers from the Cheesecake factory all week instead of freeloading off the boy's takeout order. Yes I know she is also the one who has spent the last 7 years freeloading off the boys' takeout order, let the girls pay for her high tea and drinks and admitted to never paying for a meal "with money". And yes, Leonard did buy her a car, but that was a necessary support at the time and symbolic of his desire to give back to her. But despite all that, Penny wants to be self sufficient and I'm sure she is going to try really hard to make sure she can contribute financially to this relationship. And if she wants shoes, she can convince the shop to accept her Texaco  card!

• Like 2

i hope this too, but does being married change anything? As long as she is working at finding work, is it wrong for them to be an economic unit? He can't be a sugar daddy if they are married and she is just in a period of unemployment. Or are you saying she must not marry until she has economic independence forever?

edit: not trying to be difficult, just trying to see the nuance. :)

No, it doesn't. Dependency is dependency, and that is not who Penny is. Especially the way Squidley made it sound, as if she'd be going to him to give her an allowance for a pair of shoes, which sounds abhorrent. The only people who have taken me shopping or given me shopping money in my lifetime are my parents, aunts, and grandparents (aka older, authority figures). I'd die before I would ask a guy for money to splurge on clothes/shoes, that would make them a sugardaddy. And I'd turn on the Real Housewives of Wherever if I want to watch those kinds of people (I assume those women are married based on the title, doesn't make their husbands any less of a sugardaddy). 

Edited by DaisyJane

I think Lenny never gave up on each other, they just took some breaks to see where they were they going.  Pryia was just an emotional escape for Leonard after Penny broke up with him.  Lenny, While " friends " they were both really hurting inside, that showed on all the episodes with Pryia, Leonard could not hide his feelings for Penny.  I think Leonard can be really protective of Penny, because to him, a girl like Penny is like winning the lottery, he still  thinks that way sometimes.  But finally their relationship has achieved equilibrium, so as a couple they will support each other emotionally, financially.  Now they have each face life together as a couple, and that is what love is all about.  GO LENNY

• Like 3

No, it doesn't. Dependency is dependency, and that is not who Penny is. Especially the way Squidley made it sound, as if she'd be going to him to give her an allowance for a pair of shoes, which sounds abhorrent. The only people who have taken me shopping or given me shopping money in my lifetime are my parents, aunts, and grandparents (aka older, authority figures). I'd die before I would ask a guy for money to splurge on clothes/shoes, that would make them a sugardaddy. And I'd turn on the Real Housewives of Wherever if I want to watch those kinds of people (I assume those women are married based on the title, doesn't make their husbands any less of a sugardaddy).

ok, I see your view. For myself i have mostly been on economic par with my partner, but there have been long times like when she has earned more and shorter times when she earned less. We just put everything in the joint account and withdraw according to need. Nobody feels dependent, because we are a unit. We debate priorities sometimes, sure. But when she quit her job and we lived on one wage I did not see myself as a sugar daddy. She'd collapse laughing if anyone tried to characterise me as that because it implies property rights that do not exist. LOL. And when she finishes her damn doctorate I'll happily be part of Dr & Mr Nograv.

That said, i want Penny's period of unemployment to only be temporary and for her to experience real achievement.

• Like 4