The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

This thread unravels into so many new terriotories all the time haha, but yes your right.

Maybe I read it wrong but I assumed SRAM was referring to the earlier tipsy proposal.

Your are right. Just re - read it. He was talking about the botch proposal.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I guess my point was (and sometimes I don't say it right) is that Leonard is still insecure. Since Penny said she loved him, she has never indicated that she even considered maybe breaking up with him, never, but as late as her first proposal we still see it still on Leonard's mind.

Edited by SRAM

I guess my point was (and sometimes I don't say it right) is that Leonard is still insecure. Since Penny said she loved him, she has never indicated that she even considered maybe breaking up with him, never, but as late as her first proposal we still see it still on Leonard's mind.

Up til then I would agree with you, SRAM but it's pretty clear from the last few episodes of season 7 that the insecurity is completely gone. Since he declared his full support for the bravery of her decision to quit her waitress job and pursue acting, he has been able to have mature discussions with Penny and shown no fear of what he says to her. He stuck to his convictions about career in the murder mystery discussion, stirs her relentlessly in Proton, takes control of situations like the car gift, is not afraid to knock back her final proposal, pushing her to convince him she's ready and has the balls to criticise her cooking in the last episode. Both of them are absolutely secure in this relationship now and it would make absolutely no sense now for the writers to throw in any insecurity plots in season 8 after the way they have built the Lenny relationship by the end of season 7.

• Like 3

Interesting you use bang, with regard to Raj and Lenny. ;)

I'm British, innuendo is the name of the game.

No thanks. Penny was surviving semi-alright even before she got a job in the movie, I have no desire to hear of her being dependent on Leonard. This sounds like him giving her an allowance as if he is some sort of sugar daddy, gross. No reason to believe she won't be contributing to their finances now that they are living together. 

Hope to see her having acting success. The writers really can't claim they want to be realistic when they have a character like Sheldon holding down a job.  

Penny and Leonard support each other, and the running joke is Penny will pay Leonard back at some point when she's a famous movie star. But I very much

doubt Leonard cares too much about helping Penny out with food and bills. He's done that out of love, not with an expectation of getting his money back.

Though I tend to think neither really care, as long as they are both happy in the jobs they are doing. And as with the couples I know, they have separate bank accounts and a joint account where they put

a portion of what they earn into to pay the bills and then have their own money to spend. It helps to diffuse arguments. 

My thoughts on Penny's acting career is that the terrible ape movies will become cult hits, which may lead to other roles. But she should at least be able to make

money signing autographs at conventions. That's where you can bring Will Wheaton in again to either help or hinder Penny (depending on the whims of the writers).

As for Sheldon ? He's run into trouble over his behaviour at work before, though it's likely the University suffers his presence because of his intellect and the funding

he brings in. I have an ominous feeling that Sheldon is going to get tenure, rather than it going to Leonard. Mostly because Sheldon can't switch his area of study and

getting tenure means he can. They'll bring tenure up again, it's just on the back burner. If they don't use it for the main cast, Kripke will get it for a cheap laugh.

As it has been said earlier in the thread, the accepted proposal was kind of anti-climactic, and by virtue of that, it managed to be so "Lenny". However, and I am NOT holding my breath for it, because I am conscious that it might never happen, I would love to see a moment of full out love, total romantiscm, completely sappy, almost soap opera style love. Not too much, but just a moment , a magical moment, if you will. Something like when Penny showed him the box to Leonard, but amped up ten fold, and to cap it off, an incredibly passionate long kiss, sort of like the one in the tequila/lemon/neck licking episode.

• Like 6

Dr H knocked it out of the park with his "after-the-proposal-proposal"!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 4

As it has been said earlier in the thread, the accepted proposal was kind of anti-climactic, and by virtue of that, it managed to be so "Lenny". However, and I am NOT holding my breath for it, because I am conscious that it might never happen, I would love to see a moment of full out love, total romantiscm, completely sappy, almost soap opera style love. Not too much, but just a moment , a magical moment, if you will. Something like when Penny showed him the box to Leonard, but amped up ten fold, and to cap it off, an incredibly passionate long kiss, sort of like the one in the tequila/lemon/neck licking episode.

I'm in!

Dr H knocked it out of the park with his "after-the-proposal-proposal"!

Tapatalk

He so did. I watch it just about every day!

• Like 1

"...completely sappy..."

-- I don't think they do that on TBBT on purpose. Any time we are getting close a joke follows very quickly -- like in the car at the airport in s6e24. They could have let Leonard/Penny have a moment in Switzerland but no Penny got sick and could not go. It begins to seem like the scenario where Charlie Brown never actually getting to kick the football because if he did the running gag would be dead.

• Like 2

"...completely sappy..."

-- I don't think they do that on TBBT on purpose. Any time we are getting close a joke follows very quickly -- like in the car at the airport in s6e24. They could have let Leonard/Penny have a moment in Switzerland but no Penny got sick and could not go. It begins to seem like the scenario where Charlie Brown never actually getting to kick the football because if he did the running gag would be dead.

Love it. "can't catch a break" the BBT version of Charlie Browns "Good Grief!"

And Carlos, it BBT not B&B ( Bold and the Beautiful)! LOL

• Like 1

"...completely sappy..."

Yeah but some new gags would be nice, too. Like Lenny teaming up against Sheldon to keep the GBB in check. I want the table put back while Sheldon is gone too. I could see them turning the two apartments into theirs while Sheldon is gone, giving him more change to deal with. I get the feeling the are not actually going to move over to Penny's, but Penny and Leonard will live between the apartments so Sheldon is going to have to grow up and learn to share now that Penny is going to be around more.

• Like 2

Yeah but some new gags would be nice, too. Like Lenny teaming up against Sheldon to keep the GBB in check. I want the table put back while Sheldon is gone too. I could see them turning the two apartments into theirs while Sheldon is gone, giving him more change to deal with. I get the feeling the are not actually going to move over to Penny's, but Penny and Leonard will live between the apartments so Sheldon is going to have to grow up and learn to share now that Penny is going to be around more.

I don't mind them doing that for a while when he comes back, just for the comedy possibilities but at a certain point,for the good of their own relationship, they have to make a break from Sheldon. Married couples don't split their time between friends apartments. I would like Penny to work on a butt imprint on the reverse side of the "spot" cushion while he's away and then one of the compromises in the TEMPORARY room mate agreement is that she gets the spot one day a week. A bit of a variation on Sheldon's deluded plan in the finale of giving Penny a one day a week living there trial.

As for the table, I don't think it needs to return. Leonard and Penny looked very comfortable eating alone at the 4A kitchen servery when Leonard cooked for them in the final ep. That can be their alone time spot like when they eat at the little table at Penny's place. The couch area can still be the communal eating area, with maybe Sheldon buying some more furniture ( as a sign of being sorry for the grief he has given to everyone ) so Raj ( and Emily?) finally has a permanent place to sit. And He gets Lenny their own snuggle couch!

Totally true Strawberry Pop Tart Fan, Leonard fell in love with Penny from the first " hi " he said to her, and in turn she saw in Leonard a man with the utmost respect for  her.  From that grew a close friendship that materialized into an incredible love story; the fusion process began, the two atoms fused together, releasing Lenny, ; )

• Like 3

Now if we could just get a little fission and spilt Lenny from Sheldon, so we can have some of that good Lenny binding energy.

• Like 1

Now if we could just get a little fission and spilt Lenny from Sheldon, so we can have some of that good Lenny binding energy.

You need a catalyst for that. I think 130Am is just the element needed.

• Like 4

Sheldon's their buffer if Lenny want alone time, they are going too need another buffer, get a dog! :p

I agree SRAM, Amy is the catalyst element for fission between Leonard and Sheldon.

Ahem….

I agree SRAM, Amy is the catalyst element for fission between Leonard and Sheldon.

So you want turn it from a Sheldon show in to a Shamy show?

Deal :)

Edited by Chiany
  • Like 2

The whole conjuncture of TBBT has always been Lenny, with everyone else being the dots connecting, so to me string theory has been proven.  Now TBBT is going to deal with Lenny's wedding preparations, which will be a big deal, and hopefully not a low key event like Howardette's wedding.  Sheldon and Amy's relationship has o be sorted out, with Stuart can nock in. and Raj's relationship has to be sorted out too, Lenny giving guidance on this one.

So you want turn it from a Sheldon show in to a Shamy show?

Deal :)

Since this is the Lenny topic, I don't think anyone wants to do that.  I would just like the writers to realize that the second half of Season 7 people enjoyed the Penny and Lenny story, check the ratings, so concentrating on keeping it the Sheldon show is really being myopic by them, if they really think about it. 

BBT was always at its best when the story of Lenny was at the forefront, believe it or not their are a lot of people who are tired of Sheldon being the egomaniacal anti-hero tyrant of the show, hes a "monster". A lot of the heart of S7 was when their was touching Lenny moments, same way it was in S3 when they had pillow talk, or they were acting like a couple, their wasent the same affection and honesty that you see now with Lenny. So striking a balance with Lenny the number one couple of the show like in S3, and every character bringing something to the show individually. But of course lets be real it well continue to be the "Sheldon" show, and Shamy centric early on.  

While on the surface, the final episodes appeared to be Sheldon centric, I am of the belief that Leonard and Penny were very important to the story line. In a way, much to the disgust of Shamy fans, the writers reignited the importance of the bond between the 3 main characters, which has been there since Episode 1, as they lessened Amy's role a little. Penny's career crisis began earlier than Sheldon's and it was quite central to the second half of the season. It got better as Sheldon's became worse. In a way Season 7 was about the careers of Penny and Sheldon, with Leonard around for both of them and Penny and Sheldon awkwardly supporting each other in their own way, Sheldon with his 'we're dreamers' line and Penny with her early morning speech, don't rush advice ( advice that was central to her own relationship with Leonard), the Psychic visit and her final ' we need to let him go' decision.All the while Leonard was supporting all the way, without being the centre of attention himself. The final episode was the crunch episode that has Penny and Leonard putting each other as number one priority - goodbye Sheldon, get out Amy, walking Hand in Hand as that special couple they are in this show, made all the more obvious with their increasing scenes away from the group, and several discussions by the group being centred on their relationship.

So I think it wasn't and isn't just the Sheldon Show. It was and still is the Sheldon, Penny and Leonard show. And with the engagement now settled, I think Season 8 will continue with Lenny front and centre for a long time with obviously Sheldon's solutions to his multiple crises, including Amy, of major importance as well. Everything Sheldon does in the show stands out more than everyone else -because of his persona and Jim's performance -  but I really think season 7 was more about Penny and Leonard than it is given credit for.

• Like 7

Lenny is quite like Johnnys role in the show, while Kaley and Jim are the breakout stars, his role centres and grounds the show, and is the heart of the show. If you really think about it the original plot and premise is based on Leonard and Penny's relationship. And while the show was really Leonard centric early on, it's kinda like in The Simpsons Bart was centric to the show early on and the forefront, then later Homer became forefront of the show. Same with BBT Leonard was forefront of the show then Jim/Sheldon became the breakout star of the show. This show has many variables and all characters have always contributed to the show, but I think what Season 7 showed what Season One showed and what Season Two showed Lenny still remains the heart of the show and the forefront, and everyone should revolve around that.

While on the surface, the final episodes appeared to be Sheldon centric, I am of the belief that Leonard and Penny were very important to the story line. In a way, much to the disgust of Shamy fans, the writers reignited the importance of the bond between the 3 main characters, which has been there since Episode 1, as they lessened Amy's role a little. Penny's career crisis began earlier than Sheldon's and it was quite central to the second half of the season. It got better as Sheldon's became worse. In a way Season 7 was about the careers of Penny and Sheldon, with Leonard around for both of them and Penny and Sheldon awkwardly supporting each other in their own way, Sheldon with his 'we're dreamers' line and Penny with her early morning speech, don't rush advice ( advice that was central to her own relationship with Leonard), the Psychic visit and her final ' we need to let him go' decision.All the while Leonard was supporting all the way, without being the centre of attention himself. The final episode was the crunch episode that has Penny and Leonard putting each other as number one priority - goodbye Sheldon, get out Amy, walking Hand in Hand as that special couple they are in this show, made all the more obvious with their increasing scenes away from the group, and several discussions by the group being centred on their relationship.

So I think it wasn't and isn't just the Sheldon Show. It was and still is the Sheldon, Penny and Leonard show. And with the engagement now settled, I think Season 8 will continue with Lenny front and centre for a long time with obviously Sheldon's solutions to his multiple crises, including Amy, of major importance as well. Everything Sheldon does in the show stands out more than everyone else -because of his persona and Jim's performance - but I really think season 7 was more about Penny and Leonard than it is given credit for.

. So many excellent observations here. Pne of the main differences in the two story lines ( Sheldon/Shamy v.Lenny) is that the best (and those that move them forward) scenes between them are quiet and sort of dignified (not that Shamy is undignified). One of the best scenes of the season is that where she pulls him out of 4A to tell him about her car. I believe Leonard's beautiful loving brain went to work right then for a solution. That scene along with their ending portion of that episode coupled with Penny's revelation of her box of Momentos ("it's you") are among the biggest moments of the season.

Tapatalk

• Like 3