The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

. So many excellent observations here. Pne of the main differences in the two story lines ( Sheldon/Shamy v.Lenny) is that the best (and those that move them forward) scenes between them are quiet and sort of dignified (not that Shamy is undignified). One of the best scenes of the season is that where she pulls him out of 4A to tell him about her car. I believe Leonard's beautiful loving brain went to work right then for a solution. That scene along with their ending portion of that episode coupled with Penny's revelation of her box of Momentos ("it's you") are among the biggest moments of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

That's what I have loved about their portrayal this season. During the year I've read many complaints about how their story had been ignored or was boring and I've never agreed with that sentiment. Their relationship has just been on the slow burner all year, sometimes in the background, sometimes up front, sometimes dramatic, sometimes just beautiful. And every dramatic, stressful moment has been followed by a resolution.

I've loved the simple decision to stay "at home" to be alone on Valentines Day instead of going on a big tip with the others.

I've loved the little personal aside comment on Thanksgiving about 'next time I get married it will be for love' and the gentle kiss and touch.

Obviously the box of mementoes was great as you mentioned.

Penny's calm "I'm not breaking up with you" and her calm " it just wasn't the right time" at the funeral were as you say, quiet and dignified.

The mature way they were able to address some serious topics they hadn't discussed before  in front of the others at the Murder Mystery was a turning point too.

And then to balance out the understated were their big moments that were still so private and meaningful.

- the hallway scene

- the funeral talk

- the pre proposal bar scene

- the final proposal

- the car scene

- the first wedding plans discussion

-the farewell to Sheldon

Even their fights were far more mature and controlled than their earlier battles in earlier seasons. I really thought their relationship was well written this year and hope they maintain that in Season 8 with or without the challenges they're going to face.

And yes Shamy's serious discussions have had a quiet dignity to them as well in previous seasons. They were too aggro this year and I hope they readdress that next season.

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 8

People always complained Leonard has always seen Penny as a sex object, yet now their relationship is maturing into a more honest relationship, now its predictable and boring, just the way it is with some people who watch this show. It has also striked me how casual and matured they are in their battles this season, opposed to the past particularly in S3 where Penny would hulk out and slam the door in his face haha, and Leonard would blame him and go "That's the one Leonard make it worser". Their used to be this sense of danger with Lenny in S3 every time they fought, so when they broke up it always felt an eerie feel of inevitablety about it, Penny was just not ready for the level of emotional commitement Leonard was seeking, its almost like he had been dating Penny since the pilot haha and Penny had only just caught up, and got used to the idea of dating a guy like Leonard. Remember her initial reason in dating Leonard back in the Season One Finalie, was her life was a mess and obviously her choice in men was not working out, so it was initially a "Experimental" relationship. Always reminded me of Monica and Chandler in S4, where she slept with Chandler, one night she turned to a friend in her moment of need, and it turned out to be the best decision she ever made. Kinda somes up Lenny. Here are some moments that show to me they belong together

- Holocast Excitation: Penny reminded of what attracted her to Leonard in the first place place, his mind. The beginning of Penny working more on her relationship

- Romance Resonance: Her "It's you" comment really struck a chord with me, with all the relationships she has been in, which were mostly physical, she had prob never been the romantic type of person. To realize with Leonard she had intrinsically been romantic this whole time, was subtle but massive moment for the character of Penny IMO.

- When Penny's car broke down, and her scream in the hallway, even though I wished Leonard kicked Sheldon's butt for his dismission of her predictament. It was saved by Leonard buying her a car, it showed to me the only person Penny can be vulnerable with and not even think of it is Leonard. I know some liked to deconstruct it has Leonard saving her butt again, but I saw it as a sign Leonard truly cares about her beyond her physical beauty, and loves her unconditionaly.

- The Proposal Scene, discussing intimacy is in such a honest fashion and Penny crying really added new depth to their relationship.

I think the writers have really portrayed a more honest, matured version of Lenny from Season Three, that uneasy eerie feeling of them breaking up is gone, its almost like they have fast forwarded their relationship to endgame.

The first part of season 7 sort of threw me for a loop, Leonard coming back really wasn't a big deal and the conflict between Leonard and Penny actually felt forced and even a little season 3ish to me. I guess it might have been a delaying tactic by the writers before they tackled the meat of season 7 which was Lenny, at least I like to think so.

The thing that always bothered my was the perception of Leonard, yes in the first episode he was taken by how HOT Penny was, but I see him falling for her during the Halloween episode, when they had their first kiss. The reason I say that was Penny in that scene was offering to do more that just kiss him and we see Leonard turning her down because he doesn't see her as a sex object anymore, he sees her as someone he would like to have a future with, she was not a one night stand to him anymore.

So Leonard has really been trying to make Penny see him as a possible mate since season one, supporting her was to him like supporting his future wife. You know if you look at the show, Leonard supports everyone and before Amy and Bernadette came along, everyone came to Leonard with their problems. The only time Sheldon went to Penny was when he thought she had more insight on a particular subject than Leonard, but he still considered Leonard first.

• Like 5

They have both been learning how to be in a relationship with each other. How to care for one another; how to talk things out; how to show support. Most importantly how to accept each other and be together as a single unit. As Leonard & Penny: Lenny

Tapatalk

• Like 3

All the points above lead to one path, two people in deep love in with each other, Lenny.  And yes, on their first kiss, sparks flew between them, that could be seen on the scene.  When he asked her out for the first time, and Leonard picked up Penny, true feelings came to the surface between them, really obvious on the scene.  And from now on until the end of TBBT, Lenny will be the main focus with the rest of the gang orbiting them. Like I said before, hopefully a Lenny spin off can happen, with howardette being the other protagonists.  Would be the second chapter in Lenny; TBBT would be the first part to their grand love story, then them as a married couple.   I could see Lenny spin off a mix of the classic tv shows,  like the " The Honeymooners " with a sprinkle of  " I love Lucy " .

Schrödinger's Cat has been one of the underlying themes of the show, no matter where Leonard and Penny were, in their quest for each other, the cat was always alive.

• Like 3

Schrödinger's Cat has been one of the underlying themes of the show, no matter where Leonard and Penny were, in their quest for each other, the cat was always alive.

. Would really like to see them mention the cat again OR have one of them wear a Schrodinger's Cat t-shirt!

Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some how would be cool the " time machine " would incorporated in an episode on season 8.  The episode with it made Leonard realize that he needed to grow up and not live in fantasy land.

As it has been said earlier in the thread, the accepted proposal was kind of anti-climactic, and by virtue of that, it managed to be so "Lenny". However, and I am NOT holding my breath for it, because I am conscious that it might never happen, I would love to see a moment of full out love, total romantiscm, completely sappy, almost soap opera style love. Not too much, but just a moment , a magical moment, if you will. Something like when Penny showed him the box to Leonard, but amped up ten fold, and to cap it off, an incredibly passionate long kiss, sort of like the one in the tequila/lemon/neck licking episode.

I'm wondering if the proposal was deliberately anticlimactic because it allows for a 'whole nine yards' proposal from Penny in S8. Maybe even a surprise wedding???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if the proposal was deliberately anticlimactic because it allows for a 'whole nine yards' proposal from Penny in S8. Maybe even a surprise wedding???

A wedding I might believe, but why another proposal? That ship has sailed. She asked, he said "yeah, okay, why not," then he asked formally, she accepted formally, and finally, they both shared the big announcement. Nothing more to do now except the actual marriage. More proposals would make no sense.

• Like 1

Perhaps it doesn't, I was just thinking of the s6 valentines day episode and Leonard wanting to be swept of his feet. Plus it would make for another lovely Lenny moment.

• Like 1

The way Penny said "We could get married" Leaves open the possibilities. They could elope and be married over the summer.

The way Penny said "We could get married" Leaves open the possibilities. They could elope and be married over the summer.

That would be nice but I think TPTB are already planning the problems our couple are going to have on the way to marriage. It seems one of the themes of this show is to put obstacles in front of this couple and then make their jokes around how they climb them. Really if you think about how the writers have made it so difficult for these two, them being together now makes them one of the strongest relationships on TV.

• Like 5

Eloping as an ultimate reaction to the problems that arise from wedding plans is a real option late in season 8 ( a logical low key action in character with their relationship) but the writers can't have it happening over the summer. It's too big an event to resolve it off screen during the hiatus. It's one of the two big plots of the new season.

Eloping as an ultimate reaction to the problems that arise from wedding plans is a real option late in season 8

That could be the cliffhanger ending for season 8 or 9. Lots of strife before the wedding and Leonard and Penny suddenly disappear.

• Like 1

That could be the cliffhanger ending for season 8 or 9. Lots of strife before the wedding and Leonard and Penny suddenly disappear.

I can see that as an option but Leonard is courageous generally and faces up to his problems. I'd be delighted if he outsmarted any issues, rather than ran away from them. He and Penny can be assertive; unless Penny's mother is really formidable they should be able to best anyone. They have been wrangling Sheldon forever, so its not like they are unpracticed. Id hope they will ignore the noise around them and do what they (Penny) want.

I don't think they will elope, but I can imagine a pre-wedding scene between the two, to emphasise that its about them. But I can't see Sheldon being excluded on the day.

(how else will he get the message? LOL).

Also, wedding in S9 - no real accommodation changes in s8.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

I can see that as an option but Leonard is courageous generally and faces up to his problems. I'd be delighted if he outsmarted any issues, rather than ran away from them. He and Penny can be assertive; unless Penny's mother is really formidable they should be able to best anyone. They have been wrangling Sheldon forever, so its not like they are unpracticed. Id hope they will ignore the noise around them and do what they (Penny) want.

I don't think they will elope, but I can imagine a pre-wedding scene between the two, to emphasise that its about them. But I can't see Sheldon being excluded on the day.

(how else will he get the message? LOL).

Also, wedding in S9 - no real accommodation changes in s8.

I'm thinking wedding in season 9 too.  I think the writers telegraphed that when Penny told Leonard that her brother was doing 12-18 months, so they needed to wait till then.

• Like 2

It's true the dynamics have been changing ever since Howard and Bernadette got married. Your going too see less and less the guys hanging out playing video games, or even the girls hanging out. The dynamics are now more coupled, then grouped. Four eggheads and their hottie neighbour, and a show about collision no longer exists. Its a show about cohesion, particularly with Lenny who are no really cohesive as a couple, and no longer in our out, they are all in and have choosen to move forward as a couple just the two of them. Yep wedding in S9 seems more plausible, I remember in Friends Monica and Chandler got engaged in S6, and married the next season but of course BBT is a different show.  

I don't know, with the couples pairing up, I could see more guys against girls conflict in the future. Like remember how Bernadette and Amy were talking on the train about their men and how Bernadette and Emily seemed to hit it off. I can see even more girls nights as they work with Penny on the wedding too.

I also think the one consistent thing with Lenny we'll see this coming season will be wedding tensions, I can't believe the writers will pass up having those two having wedding problems. When you think about their relationship, they have moved forward my mutual agreement, mostly Penny agreeing to catch up to Leonard, when they did move forward they both wanted it and it was just them, can you now see how throwing a big wedding into that could make them nervous. Penny nervous because of a set date with everyone expecting so much from her and Leonard worried that Penny is getting pushed too far and could be a flight risk. Really them deciding one morning to tie the knot and then that afternoon getting married in Las Vegas is more IC for them.

How about a Las Vegas elopement early S8 which Penny backs out of? After which they decide on a long engagement paving the way for a wedding in s9.

I wonder if Penny's daydream in the 100th will be revisited in TPTB's plan for Lenny.

IDK, but thinking about them making comedy fodder of wedding plans sort of disappoints me because it's clichéd. The idea of a guerrilla wedding does appeal to me, though an elopement is a cliché too. I hope if they elope they go to CERN. But no one will know where that is and it raises complications with getting the gang together.

I want to be surprised by what they end up doing but that plays against the fun of anticipation.

*confused*

I don't really want them to get married in Las Vegas as that will not be romantic because of the Zack thing. I want it to be somewhere like Nebraska or even LA

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I don't really want them to get married in Las Vegas as that will not be romantic because of the Zack thing. I want it to be somewhere like Nebraska or even LA

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I understand your point, but the scenerio that keeps popping up in my mind is that they plan a big wedding, which creates huge amounts of stress, especially for Penny, so they start to fight, which keeps getting worse until one of them says maybe they shouldn't get married, which makes them both pause. They look at each other with puppy dog eyes, maybe tearing up, tell each other their 'I love you's' the run off to get married that night.

• Like 2