The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

They don't really need to hide the fact that Penny and Leonard are together, anyone who looks at the photos is at least reading the press releases and will know that Leonard is back by the second episode. Hopefully they will have a photo out of their initial reunion.

• Like 2

I can see why it is a bit disheartening but I wonder how much of the writers' decision was dictated by circumstances.

As Tensor pointed out on the S7 Spoiler thread, from sundown Sept 4th to tonight (Sept 6th) it is Rosh Hashanah and it seems that both Mr. Helberg and Ms Bialik observed the holiday since neither of them was at the Wednesday night taping (while the Tuesday taping took place during the day, I believe).

It is therefore entirely possible that both actors warned the production team ahead of time telling them that they could not work on Tuesday night (Sept 4th) -regular taping night- due to religious obligations and the writers sort of worked that into the story. The probable absence of two actors on the same night might have helped them realise that Amy and Howard had yet to share any meaningful scene. So they decided to pair them up in some way and came up with the idea of the group being divided into "inorganic" binomes.

"Inorganic" may be too strong a word; what I mean by it is that amongst this seven-people group, there are pairs of characters that assembled "organically", due to mutual romantic attraction or immediate and intense friendship whereas other associations owe their existence to more circumstancial factors. For the sake of the argument, the "organic" pairs are : Bernadette/Howard; Howard/Raj; Sheldon/Amy; Amy/Penny; Penny/Leonard and Leonard/Sheldon. All either lovers or besties.

Amy/Howard is not an "organic" binome. Once you remove these two characters (and Raj, because there needs to be a ringleader and because seven cannot be divided by two), there is only one option remaining for the others. If Bernie goes with Sheldon (inorganic pairing), it leaves Penny and Leonard together (organic). If Bernie goes with Penny (sort of inorganic, though debatable), Sheldon and Leonard end up paired (organic). So to stay in keeping with their "inorganic" theme, the writers had to go for the only other combinations : Leonard/Bernadette; Penny/Sheldon.

On a more "intra" level, I do believe there might be some trouble ahead for Leonard and Penny.

Now, before anybody starts throwing sharp ones and zeroes at me, allow me to explain. Some time ago, Bangermain pointed out that the writers like to introduce the elements of an issue in the very first couple of episodes in a season only to solve the problem later on. I believe it is correct.

Season six was a textbook case : the season premiere introduced the "Penny's ILY" conundrum through the unexpected medium of a drunken and overly enthusiastic Raj. The issue made Penny stumble, caused her to make mistakes (she envisaged breaking up with Leonard) but eventually she found her way back by realising how much and why she loves him ("Sometimes I forget how smart you are" - The Holographic Excitation) and, at last, we got the long awaited ILY in The 43 Peculiarity. After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing... By Leonard and Penny's standards of course.

This season's issue, as far as the Lenny is concerned, may very well be the "Penny's physique/Penny's brain" dichotomy. The season premiere will contain a scene in which Leonard shows off Penny's remarkable anatomy to some of his crewmates and we now know that the third episode will feature a scene in which he refuses to pair up with her for fear she might slow him down in the course of an "intellectual" game. There might be something in there that will get developped a bit later in the season.

Just like Penny had to be reminded of how much she loves Leonard back in the early days of season six, this year Leonard may have to remember that his gorgeous girlfriend is also a pretty smart cookie.

There might be some to and fro; there might be some frustration along the way. But do not fear ! They will see it through.

I agree, though I have to look up binome when I get home. *Penny* moment. LOL. Usually I can fake it, but you, and Count Wally with rebarbative, stumped me. :)

eta. ha, if you had written binôme I would have been all over it.

I really enjoy coming here!

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

I don't think Leonard and Penny need to be holding hands or Leonard or Penny can't leave the room without each other to proove to the viewers they are dating lol, they are also individuals which I love about their characters. And what is this it has been the Penny show now its the Sheldon show and Leonard is now being put in the background? The writers in no way are biast or partial to particular characters, it is called The Big Bang Theory after all, every season even in Season 6 I have never seen any biast or partiality to a certain character, regardless if you think Leonard has been forced in the back ground to reinforce Sheldon I don't think thats the case, he still lives with Sheldon doesen't he? Lol. All characters seem to be involved with this ep which is great, and why is it everytime Sheldon and Penny are paired people seem to go crazy haha, what's the big deal? They have been friends for seven years and have been neighbors for the same amount of time, they just so happen to get their name out of the hat, and the writers no the two of them have brought comedic value to the show in the past, and they are completely different people who well have compltely different and opposing ways of going ahead with things, which as usual well bring that classic Sheldon and Penny banter. It's kinda nice how Penny is still wearing that locket, no drama just another day in The Big Bang Theory universe.

• Like 1

I agree, though I have to look up binome when I get home. *Penny* moment. LOL. Usually I can fake it, but you, and Count Wally with rebarbative, stumped me. :)

Although agree with above post coulden't mutli quote it haha, I don't think it is exactly the same as last years start of S6. That was different as you remember around the S5 finalie Leonard had proposed to Penny, so around the beginning of S6 Penny was considering breaking up with Leonard, as it was weird between the two and she was confused to how she really felt about him. I think she was getting scared again she started to feel the same pull the brakes feelings she felt in S3, but what happened later on prooved how far Penny has matured and grown. It wasen't up till the Science Lab Scene, that is the moment when things changed Lenny developed a new spark, and Penny was reminded of why she fell for Leonard in the first place the science and his nerdiness which is ironical. Then their was the halloween ep, and by that point Lenny was back on the track. And then Leonard's insecurities came out with that british classmate of Penny's, which Penny inadvertantly first told Leonard that she loves him. And ever since the VD ep Leonard and Penny have found a newfound trust and honesty in their relationship, Leonard is no longing being submissive or pushing Penny to much, and Penny is no longer hulking out or breaking things off when issues come along, Penny is showing alot more compromise and Leonard is now trusting himself to challenge Penny and push when needed. TBH the ILY was huge for Leonard it gave him the sense of security he needed, and I feel ever since the final car scene in S6 when they had a child in the back seat lol, they have almost become equals, and I felt Penny's ILY then was much more important then when she first said it. So their may be some problems this season but not to much that Lenny cannot deal with it.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Penny usually wants to kill Sheldon haha

Yep, this reminds me of several season 2 episodes with Penny on the edge of committing murder because of Sheldon's irritating and belittling actions.

Yep, this reminds me of several season 2 episodes with Penny on the edge of committing murder because of Sheldon's irritating and belittling actions.

Their are several car scenes in Season 2 where Penny who is not a morning person you could swear if looks could kill lol.

Be careful what you wish for ! If you let me get away with one diacritic, soon enough, I will just write my whole posts in French and you will have to deal with it ;)

I believe Chiara was comparing the locket to one she had received as a child from an admirer, that had turned her skin green.  She was contrasting the difference between love as a child and an adult. i.e. Locket that turns skin green as a child, no big deal (the thought that counts).

His name was Alexandre and I still have that necklace. One of my most prized possessions. 

• Like 3

^^^^ Rats. Now I have to go look up diacritic. :)

Penny problems. LOL

Rats . Maintenant, je dois aller rechercher diacritique. :)

problèmes Penny LOL

PLEASE don't do a whole post. Heheheheh

like Penny, I'd be caught out.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Maybe Leonard thought it would be less fighting if he and Penny were on different teams. Then he would only have to deal with her being mad that she wasn't his partner. It might also imply that he could be feeling a little smothered.

If it is a little bit the Penny show, it makes sense. As one of the core three, she's actually gotten the least attention over the years. There have been long runs in the show where she was barely on screen.Some of that was due to her accident, but the effect is the same. She is the character that needs more personal development. In order to do that, she needs to be on the screen.

It was an interesting call-back too, as Sheldon's uncontrollable need for closure interfered with the team. It could be a metaphor of Shelddon's larger professional progress, or lack therof. He is so controlled by his emotional tics and flaws that he may not be able to do work of quality. Handing a paper with an algebra mistake to Hawking shows that he's not capable of Nobel quality work. One would think that he would only have handed him a perfect paper. In the first season, Leslie corrected his board of a sign error. These mistakes are so fundamental, one wonders if his insistence on his perfection with his need for misplaced closure is limiting his career. He could learn from Penny to stay on point and not get bogged down in unnecessary details.

• Like 7

This is my first post and I believe this is the right place for it. I was just wondering if anyone else was unsure of what the purpose of sending Leonard off to the North Sea at the very end of last season was?

Here's my thinking: We all know that at the end of season 2, we got a single episode for Penny to deal with learning the guys are going to be off to the North Pole for the summer. We are then shown that Penny makes a pretty serious realization as to how she feels about Leonard and then the first episode back we see her welcome him back.

So the end of last season, we got a single episode for Penny to deal with finding out Leonard is going to be gone for four months right as things are going very well for the Lenny. Now, after reading the taping reports of the first two episodes, I'm kind of left wondering...what was the point? If it was to get her to finally say I love you, as she did in the car, that would have made sense, but she had already said it for the first time earlier in the season so that was already off the board.

Now the last few months, I have read a lot of fan fiction, some pretty amazing stuff by posters here by the way, that involved a pregnancy, a proposal, a wedding and cohabitation and to be honest that is a little more like the direction I figured this was going to head. I know a lot of people think a pregnancy would upset the balance of the show. I think it would give them a season of comedic gold with a cranky pregnant Penny, a nervous father-to-be Leonard, and Sheldon being Sheldon and the rest of the gang trying to help them all get through it. Maybe even eventually bring in a nanny for the baby that Raj falls for or something like that? If that's too much too soon, then a proposal or cohabitation because Penny has realized what she wants with Leonard? As it is, right now its kind of like, "Oh hey, Leonard's back. Yeah, I missed you but not enough to do some serious soul searching or make any grand realizations about where this is all going for us," lol.

I read an interview online a couple days ago where Kaley Cuoco thinks Penny and Leonard should split up and just be friends until the end of the show and then finally get together for good. I have to say, that would be bad. With all the growing the couple did in the past season, I think any breakup now would seriously damage the show's ability to keep us still caring whether or not they ever end up together.

As it is, I'm still wondering what was the point of sending him to the North Sea, unless there is going to be some payoff or grand realization on Penny's part that will move the Lenny forward even if its a small step?

Am I the only who is thinking this way?

• Like 1

Maybe Leonard thought it would be less fighting if he and Penny were on different teams. Then he would only have to deal with her being mad that she wasn't his partner. It might also imply that he could be feeling a little smothered.

If Leonard were the only one not wanting Penny on his team, I would definitely agree with you and say that there are many ways in which his "names in a hat" proposition could be interpreted. However, the fact that Amy reacts in the exact same fashion as him when Penny offers to pair up with her and Raj's explanation for the "everybody's a winner" trick leave little wiggle room.

Leonard would rather not have Penny on his team because he thinks she could keep him from winning the race.  

It does not make him bad; after all, he immediately feels guilty and even considers quitting the scavenger hunt when he realises he hurt Penny's feelings (it takes all of Bernadette's evil genius to keep him focused on the prize). It just makes him wrong. 

Just like when Penny called theirs a "boring" kind of love : she was not being evil; she was being mistaken. And realised it a couple of episodes later. 

Perhaps Leonard needs to go through a similar process. He is allowed to make mistakes from time to time. This may be one of those instances. 

It was an interesting call-back too, as Sheldon's uncontrollable need for closure interfered with the team. It could be a metaphor of Shelddon's larger professional progress, or lack therof. He is so controlled by his emotional tics and flaws that he may not be able to do work of quality. Handing a paper with an algebra mistake to Hawking shows that he's not capable of Nobel quality work. One would think that he would only have handed him a perfect paper. In the first season, Leslie corrected his board of a sign error. These mistakes are so fundamental, one wonders if his insistence on his perfection with his need for misplaced closure is limiting his career. He could learn from Penny to stay on point and not get bogged down in unnecessary details.

I believe you are absolutely correct. 

Sheldon's obsessions and peculiarities have allowed him to reach the status he has now. Yett they are starting, or so it seems, to slow him down. Basically, they have taken him this far but cannot take him any further. He might have to rely on other, possibly new, skills in order to develop more. He has started growing a teeny sense of self-sacrifice (he tried to be a good friend to Leonard in The Bon Voyage Reaction, even though there was nothing in it for him), a modicum of emotional openess (he communicated with Amy in The Love Spell Potential; he buys Leonard a welcome back present in the season premiere) and a wee amount of humility (when he had to work with Kripke). 

He might have to develop those qualities a bit more in the future to be more efficient in his work.

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 3

I'm gonna bring my post #1009 from the S7 Spoilers thread over here because it covers my feeling on why Leonard wanted to draw partners.

I don't think it's all that weird that Leonard and Amy didn't want to be paired with Penny. 5 of 6 competitors are scientist, the person creating the hunt is a scientist, so it would be reasonable to expect a more science based scavenger hunt. Besides even without a science base for the hunt Penny is the lowest IQ in the group, which doesn't mean much considering the group. Penny could easily have a 110 or 115 IQ (above average but not genius-level) which would make her pretty smart compared to most people, but when she hangs out with the group she's probably the only one with an IQ below 150.

The real insult to her intelligence comes from Raj. He designed a hunt that really had no intelligence requirement, all the puzzles were simple enough and no real outside knowledge was required, and yet he felt that Penny would be a liability to the point that he had to make everyone a winner. The others thought Penny would be less beneficial to their team in,what they expected would be, a more intellectual challenge, but Raj felt that anyone paired with her would lose despite the simplicity of the challenges

• Like 1

I'm gonna bring my post #1009 from the S7 Spoilers thread over here because it covers my feeling on why Leonard wanted to draw partners.

I've rethought your observations and agree and disagree with you. I agree the real insult was from Raj because he did make everyone a winner because of Penny, But I disagree in regards to expecting to be a more science based scavenger hunt. Since Penny was going to be involved it would be "unfair" to have a scavenger hunt based solely on science.  So to me logically it was going to be a more "regular" scavenger hunt. The others, espicially Leonard and Amy, should have realized that. The funny part seems to be if there had been only one winner it would have been Penny.

• Like 2

True, and if Penny had been paired with anyone other than Sheldon the win would have been even clearer since they wouldn't have wasted time finishing the puzzle.

Penny and Bernadette would have really beaten the rest.  Now that would have been really unfair. :icon_lol:

• Like 2

I've rethought your observations and agree and disagree with you. I agree the real insult was from Raj because he did make everyone a winner because of Penny, But I disagree in regards to expecting to be a more science based scavenger hunt. Since Penny was going to be involved it would be "unfair" to have a scavenger hunt based solely on science.  So to me logically it was going to be a more "regular" scavenger hunt. The others, espicially Leonard and Amy, should have realized that. The funny part seems to be if there had been only one winner it would have been Penny.

To further this point, I believe it is also worth noting that "scientists" are not experts in all realms of science. So a science-oriented scavenger hunt designed by an astrophysicist (Raj) would not necessarily be any easier to complete for a neuroscientist (Amy) or a microbiologist (Bernadette) than for a layperson (Penny). 

As proven in The Vacation Solution, physicists do not fare well in biology labs and I would assume the opposite is equally true. 

Penny and Bernadette would have really beaten the rest.  Now that would have been really unfair. :icon_lol:

Now that would have ruined the suspense. These two would have wiped the floor with the other teams. 

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 2

I read an interview online a couple days ago where Kaley Cuoco thinks Penny and Leonard should split up and just be friends until the end of the show and then finally get together for good. I have to say, that would be bad. With all the growing the couple did in the past season, I think any breakup now would seriously damage the show's ability to keep us still caring whether or not they ever end up together.

She's a lunatic if she thinks that. I know we're not supposed to make "Friends" comparisons here but that was seriously the worst thing that show ever did. As you observe, it had the effect of making it impossible to care if they ultimately got together or not.  They can do that here, but in my opinion it would ruin the heart and soul of the show, which has always been the Penny/Leonard romance.

Edited by Europa
  • Like 2

She's a lunatic if she thinks that. I know we're not supposed to make "Friends" comparisons here but that was seriously the worst thing that show ever did. As you observe, it had the effect of making it impossible to care if they ultimately got together or not.  They can do that here, but in my opinion it would ruin the heart and soul of the show, which has always been the Penny/Leonard romance.

Without knowing what interview Lenny saw and all the L/P fans on this thread I could be wrong but it may have been an old interview. I would think if it was new everyone on here would be talking about it.

• Like 1

Without knowing what interview Lenny saw and all the L/P fans on this thread I could be wrong but it may have been an old interview. I would think if it was new everyone on here would be talking about it.

Radio Times Staff published an article back on August 28th entitled "Is There Trouble Ahead for Leonard and Penny in the New Series of The Big Band Theory"  This article is supposed to be an interview with Kaley.  In it they ask if she thinks Penny and Leonard should be together?  The answer that is recorded sounds a lot like an answer that she gave on an earlier interview a couple of years ago.  I remember hearing a similar comment on one of the season videos that I have.  When I read this I wondered if they simply cut and pasted the interview.  I have a hard time believing that she would say "At the end of the day.  I think they're just really good friends for now."  now after all of the events and the ILY's of season 6.

Edited by Oldnavy
  • Like 2

Actually, it's an interview from just before season six started (I'm not sure if they had taped anything yet, thinking here of 6.01 and 6.02).

The interview I read was indeed by Radio Times staff and it was dated 8/28/13. You can find it pretty easily, she also mentions wanting Penny to go out with other people and having Lisa Kudrow come in as her mother, which I could see being interesting.

Anyway, as I originally posted, it seems the North Sea thing so far was a bit overkill unless there is a payoff down the road as a result. Otherwise, they really didn't need to send him off for any reason.

I really hope there is a reason, though. Lenny needs to move forward, even if its baby steps, like he gets a dresser drawer or something, lol.

This is my first post and I believe this is the right place for it. I was just wondering if anyone else was unsure of what the purpose of sending Leonard off to the North Sea at the very end of last season was?

Here's my thinking: We all know that at the end of season 2, we got a single episode for Penny to deal with learning the guys are going to be off to the North Pole for the summer. We are then shown that Penny makes a pretty serious realization as to how she feels about Leonard and then the first episode back we see her welcome him back.

So the end of last season, we got a single episode for Penny to deal with finding out Leonard is going to be gone for four months right as things are going very well for the Lenny. Now, after reading the taping reports of the first two episodes, I'm kind of left wondering...what was the point? If it was to get her to finally say I love you, as she did in the car, that would have made sense, but she had already said it for the first time earlier in the season so that was already off the board.

Now the last few months, I have read a lot of fan fiction, some pretty amazing stuff by posters here by the way, that involved a pregnancy, a proposal, a wedding and cohabitation and to be honest that is a little more like the direction I figured this was going to head. I know a lot of people think a pregnancy would upset the balance of the show. I think it would give them a season of comedic gold with a cranky pregnant Penny, a nervous father-to-be Leonard, and Sheldon being Sheldon and the rest of the gang trying to help them all get through it. Maybe even eventually bring in a nanny for the baby that Raj falls for or something like that? If that's too much too soon, then a proposal or cohabitation because Penny has realized what she wants with Leonard? As it is, right now its kind of like, "Oh hey, Leonard's back. Yeah, I missed you but not enough to do some serious soul searching or make any grand realizations about where this is all going for us," lol.

As it is, I'm still wondering what was the point of sending him to the North Sea, unless there is going to be some payoff or grand realization on Penny's part that will move the Lenny forward even if its a small step?

Am I the only who is thinking this way?

That's a good question... Why have the trip for so little pay off. I think in the long run (in some future episode) we'll get a pay off from the trip. The question is what. Tenure for Leonard? Inclusion on Nobel Prize? Knocked up scientist from boat after drunken party? Stephen Hawking becoming Leonard's mentor and wanting him to move to England? Leonard's work on the trip disproving all of Sheldon's work and Sheldon being fired and moving back to Texas? Who knows, but I hope it's big.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2

That's a good question... Why have the trip for so little pay off. I think in the long run (in some future episode) we'll get a pay off from the trip. The question is what. Tenure for Leonard? Inclusion on Nobel Prize? Knocked up scientist from boat after drunken party? Stephen Hawking becoming Leonard's mentor and wanting him to move to England? Leonard's work on the trip disproving all of Sheldon's work and Sheldon being fired and moving back to Texas? Who knows, but I hope it's big.

Knocked up scientist. It would hard to defend Leonard on that one.

• Like 2

I have been trying to figure this very thing out.  At this point I see no real reason Leonard needed to be send off except to give P/S screen time alone and maybe this was a short term goal, but there has to be some kind of payoff for Leonard down the line or it was a wasted trip.

As for long term it's hard to say, what it could be because Leonard isn't allowed true growth due to being stuck with Sheldon.  So it's a wait and see game though I hope the writers have something more plan than what we have read in the last three taping reports.

• Like 1