The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

I didn't like them apart, but I really loved the little things that happened, showing Penny's depth of feeling( truth or dare, New Year's Eve, snowflake, Amy's brain leads, her panic at the posibility of L/Priya getting engage.

• Like 3

Yep hence why she attempted to implement that cultural system into their relationship, she seemed to care more what image their relationship sent out to society then Leonard, it was really a makeup of her background. Raj has been conditioned to Western Civilization Culture, so much of that Higher Class Culture has been beaten out of him, but like you said glimpses are their. 

I get the impression that their family is 'new money'.

Season 2 episode 4: The Griffin Equivalency

Raj: Hey, Leonard, did you see my limo downstairs.

Leonard: Yeah.

Raj: It’s bigger than the house my grandfather grew up in.

Leonard: Terrific.

Raj: It has more food too.

It could well be that as 'new money' (as the result of Raj's father being a gynocologist) they are under pressure to marry the 'right' people (right being defined as someone with a good earning potential or someone with old money and social position or preferably both {preferably Indian but under the right circumstances not}).

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

The breakup had to happen to allow both of them to grow up a bit. Penny had to grow up emotionally I guess and Leonard had to learn about the physical side of a relationship amongst other things.

Challenge wise ? Penny has to get over her commitment issues (she made some progress with that in season 6 thanks to Amy and Bernadette) and Leonard has to I guess learn to relax when other men pay Penny attention and stop fearing he'll screw things up. Lots of comedy gold to be mined there.

Splitting them up again ? It would be rather lazy on the writers part.

Raj is perhaps the character that probably should get more attention in season 7, he's seemingly cured of his

inability to speak to women without alcohol. He now has to stand on his own two feet and overcome his

many insecurities. And most importantly he has to stand up to his parents at some point. Anyway it seems

Raj is poised for some much needed growth. Amy and Sheldon ? I think they are in a good place at the moment but that 

relationship shouldn't be rushed. It's going to be a slow burner through to the end of the show. As for Howard and Bernadette, I guess

children is the next step for them. Though I expect it will be a while before anything happens on that score.

Season 6 left all the characters in good places ready and poised to grow as fast or as slow as the Writers want them to.

• Like 2

The breakup had to happen to allow both of them to grow up a bit. Penny had to grow up emotionally I guess and Leonard had to learn about the physical side of a relationship amongst other things.

Challenge wise ? Penny has to get over her commitment issues (she made some progress with that in season 6 thanks to Amy and Bernadette) and Leonard has to I guess learn to relax when other men pay Penny attention and stop fearing he'll screw things up. Lots of comedy gold to be mined there.

Splitting them up again ? It would be rather lazy on the writers part.

Raj is perhaps the character that probably should get more attention in season 7, he's seemingly cured of his

inability to speak to women without alcohol. He now has to stand on his own two feet and overcome his

many insecurities. And most importantly he has to stand up to his parents at some point. Anyway it seems

Raj is poised for some much needed growth. Amy and Sheldon ? I think they are in a good place at the moment but that 

relationship shouldn't be rushed. It's going to be a slow burner through to the end of the show. As for Howard and Bernadette, I guess

children is the next step for them. Though I expect it will be a while before anything happens on that score.

Season 6 left all the characters in good places ready and poised to grow as fast or as slow as the Writers want them to.

You know I wouldn't have mind the breakup if Penny hadn't been so mean about it.  I can understand Penny wasn't really and that is fine it's the way she humiliated Leonard in front of everyone at the bowling alley and then the booty call plus the way she treated Leonard after it happen.  I know most placed all the blame at Leonard's feet for what happen and saw Penny as the victim so it didn't bother most that Penny was just 'MEAN' and unkind to the guy.

As for Leonard needing to get his insecurities in check.  I think he did in Season Six and what made it even better those very same shoes were given to Penny to wear and I bet you anything she understands how Leonard felt all the times guys hit on her with him right there. 

As for show being more focus on Raj, I hope not.  After all the thing this character has done I really don't care that much if he finds happiness.  Raj isn't a nice person and we have more than enough example of this.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 3

You know I wouldn't have mind the breakup if Penny hadn't been so mean about it. I can understand Penny wasn't really and that is fine it's the way she humiliated Leonard in front of everyone at the bowling alley and then the booty call plus the way she treated Leonard after it happen. I know most placed all the blame at Leonard's feet for what happen and saw Penny as the one victim so it didn't bother most that Penny was just 'MEAN' and unkind to the guy.

As for Leonard needing to get his insecurities in check. I think he did in Season Six and what made it even better those very same shoes were given to Penny to wear and I bet you anything she understands how Leonard felt all the times guys hit on her with him right there.

As for show being more focus on Raj, I hope not. After all the thing this character has done I really don't care that much if he finds happiness. Raj isn't a nice person and we have more than enough example of this.

If they are going for 10+ seasons then we will see more stories and less pace as they eke out the premise. It won't be concentrated goodness. They will roam widely as they delay the final payoff.

And I do think they will play on Penny's insecurities. Leonard is a big deal and she isn't. Her big dreams aren't coming closer. There are lots of pretty wannabe actors. Leonard is a very scarce type.

Leonard picked Penny. Maybe the practicalities of that choice will be a future topic. Its not just Beverly who decries Penny's aspirations. And if she talks about psychics at a work function, Leonard will feel awkward.

Plenty of scope for humiliation all round. And comedy.

• Like 2

I get the impression that their family is 'new money'.

Season 2 episode 4: The Griffin Equivalency

Raj: Hey, Leonard, did you see my limo downstairs.

Leonard: Yeah.

Raj: It’s bigger than the house my grandfather grew up in.

Leonard: Terrific.

Raj: It has more food too.

It could well be that as 'new money' (as the result of Raj's father being a gynocologist) they are under pressure to marry the 'right' people (right being defined as someone with a good earning potential or someone with old money and social position or preferably both {preferably Indian but under the right circumstances not}).

Plus, there are remnants of the old caste system still in modern India. His parents have shown they do not expect Raj to end up with anyone except the "right" people.

• Like 1

Several times Raj has spoken specifically of untouchables. In all of the conversations involving the Koothrapalis, it is clear that daliances with white people is OK as a means of sowing wild oats, but never for anything serious. Priya's attitude all along regarding her relationship with Leonard was that it was completely unacceptable to her parents, and could never be acknowledged. It seemed that she had no intention of telling Leonard she was going back to India until it slipped out in the Skype with her parents. Raj consistently referred to Leonard's relationship with his sister as defilement. A sure clue will be that a relationship with Raj is serious if the girl is Indian, otherwise it is s temporary oat sowing.

• Like 1

You know I wouldn't have mind the breakup if Penny hadn't been so mean about it.  I can understand Penny wasn't really and that is fine it's the way she humiliated Leonard in front of everyone at the bowling alley and then the booty call plus the way she treated Leonard after it happen.  I know most placed all the blame at Leonard's feet for what happen and saw Penny as the victim so it didn't bother most that Penny was just 'MEAN' and unkind to the guy.

As for Leonard needing to get his insecurities in check.  I think he did in Season Six and what made it even better those very same shoes were given to Penny to wear and I bet you anything she understands how Leonard felt all the times guys hit on her with him right there. 

As for show being more focus on Raj, I hope not.  After all the thing this character has done I really don't care that much if he finds happiness.  Raj isn't a nice person and we have more than enough example of this.

That's part of the reason I hated the breakup episodes. First, the ILY wasn't that big of a deal in context, and actually not a surprise if serious. Contrast Penny's ILY in season 6 with Leonard's in season 3. Second, dumping him in front of his friends in a spur of the moment outburst is totally unacceptable. There is no way to put a good face on it. Third, the only reasonable way the guys should have handled it was to cut her off entirely. She should have been dead to the guys.

As much as I love Penny and Leoanrd, I'm not quite done with her needing to feel jealous. Throughout Leonard's relationship with Penny, he has known that she regarded their situation as temporary, and that she was keeping her options open. It is only recently that Penny has become invested in the relationship (recall that she was ready to dump him as boring as recently as the second episode of season 6, and has still put little or no effort nto the relationship except to be needy or jealous). There is much karma remaining for Penny to work off before she is truly worthy to be Leonard's wife.

• Like 2

That's part of the reason I hated the breakup episodes. First, the ILY wasn't that big of a deal in context, and actually not a surprise if serious. Contrast Penny's ILY in season 6 with Leonard's in season 3. Second, dumping him in front of his friends in a spur of the moment outburst is totally unacceptable. There is no way to put a good face on it. Third, the only reasonable way the guys should have handled it was to cut her off entirely. She should have been dead to the guys.

As much as I love Penny and Leoanrd, I'm not quite done with her needing to feel jealous. Throughout Leonard's relationship with Penny, he has known that she regarded their situation as temporary, and that she was keeping her options open. It is only recently that Penny has become invested in the relationship (recall that she was ready to dump him as boring as recently as the second episode of season 6, and has still put little or no effort nto the relationship except to be needy or jealous). There is much karma remaining for Penny to work off before she is truly worthy to be Leonard's wife.

But what would be the agency of that karmic comeuppance? Should Penny suffer boils? How can they, without harming the relationship, beat harder on Penny. They made her look like a drunken harlot and town bike at one stage. She has had no success at anything except staying in a minimum wage job through the great recession. She has to skive food off her neighbours and risks her life daily in an probably uninsured vehicle.

The only constant is that she has stayed confident and pretty. But age is catching up and the mirror is telling her that she's not the ingénue any more. Her confidence and looks will fade.

I'm thinking the best revenge is success. The thing she owes Leonard is to be the best girlfriend, the best partner, the best companion. And maybe eventually, the best wife.

That's a karmic burden.

(And she made a good start, by not bitching one infinitesimal iota when he said he was going away for months. But I do think they will play harder with her going forward).

ETA forgot the hyperbole alert. :)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

^I actually think Penny looks hotter then she has ever been haha but thats just me. And I don't think what she did in S3 was unacceptble lol she did run away crying it wasen't an easy decision for her, oh Leonard's poor heart, Penny had to do what she thought was right for her, people break up all the time for various reasons, doesen't make Penny a bad person because she wanted to spare Leonard the even bigger heartbreak at that point, if they dragged it out. From what I remember Will Wheaton manipulated Penny, but he just delayed the inenvtiable. I don't think Penny owes Leonard anything, neither does Leonard their are no guareentees, just promises that they want to keep to each other, Penny has matured alot in her learning to trust Leonard alot more, and compromise more in the relationship, but your right alot of work is still to be done.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

I guess I don't understand this thing about Penny learning to trust Leonard more.  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  I must be missing something here, where Leonard did something to cause Penny to mistrust him.  If anyone in the relationship should have trust issues it should be Leonard.  All you have to do is look at how Penny treated the guy for five and half years.

And what is this thing about Penny compromising? Please tell me where Penny compromised about anything of importance where their relationship is concerned.  Some act as if Penny did all the heavy lifting for years in the relationship and Leonard just sat back and took and took! Oh, that was Leonard doing the hard work in the relationship and Penny finally stepping up to the plate and putting some effort during the latter part of Season Six.

I love Leonard and Penny but I get sick of some acting as if Leonard is the one with all the faults and cause all the problem in the relationship.

• Like 3

3ku11, I agree with you. The burden I remark upon is something you carry into a relationship regardless. You don't plan on being the 2nd best partner.

I'm not a fan of karma anyway, cos the universe is random. As evidenced by the newspapers, daily. But I do hope Penny works hard to be a good companion (but not like Inara).

I guess I don't understand this thing about Penny learning to trust Leonard more. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I must be missing something here, where Leonard did something to cause Penny to mistrust him. If anyone in the relationship should have trust issues it should be Leonard. All you have to do is look at how Penny treated the guy for five and half years.

And what is this thing about Penny compromising? Please tell me where Penny compromised about anything of importance where their relationship is concerned. Some act as if Penny did all the heavy lifting for years in the relationship and Leonard just sat back and took and took! Oh, that was Leonard doing the hard work in the relationship and Penny finally stepping up to the plate and putting some effort during the latter part of Season Six.

I love Leonard and Penny but I get sick of some acting as if Leonard is the one with all the faults and cause all the problem in the relationship.

can you point me to the trust and compromise bits. I missed seeing those. Maybe I jumped in.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

can you point me to the trust and compromise bits. I missed seeing those. Maybe I jumped in.

I keep reading about how Penny has learned to trust Leonard more and all the compromising she is doing.  So, I am trying to understand the trust thing alone with the compromising thing.

If I am reading it wrong, I apologize.

I guess I don't understand this thing about Penny learning to trust Leonard more.  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  I must be missing something here, where Leonard did something to cause Penny to mistrust him.  If anyone in the relationship should have trust issues it should be Leonard.  All you have to do is look at how Penny treated the guy for five and half years.

And what is this thing about Penny compromising? Please tell me where Penny compromised about anything of importance where their relationship is concerned.  Some act as if Penny did all the heavy lifting for years in the relationship and Leonard just sat back and took and took! Oh, that was Leonard doing the hard work in the relationship and Penny finally stepping up to the plate and putting some effort during the latter part of Season Six.

Yeah I agree with you, but to be fair it wasen't Pennys fault Leonard for half of the first season followed Penny like a love sick puppy, Penny is not a mind reader she diddnt date those guys to spite Leonard, more because she diddnt really realise how Leonard felt. And what I mean about Pennys trust issues, is more in her self she struggled to trust other guys in her life, partly due to her father, he always refers to her as his little "slugger", and he has obviousley up to Leonard disapproved of her relatiionships, I feel because of that the writers have made it clear that she struggles to trust people in her life. So what I meant was Penny is learning to trust Leonard well be their for her, and let her guard down a bit more, as she dated a certain type as it really reflected her own self insecurites, it limited the possibility of an emotional attachement. So I can see where people say Penny diddnt compromise at all, heck she hardly noticed Leonard in a romantic light up until S3, that wasen't her fault she is a makeup of her own upbringing and her background, just like Leonard is a makeup of the disapproval and lack of love and recognition he recevied from his mother.. And in terms of the compromises, I was refering to that ep when Leonard wanted to move in, Penny was willing to compromise her intimacy issues, and independance just to make Leonard happy, maybe it wasen't so obvious or noticable, but IMO it was a massive gesture on her part, maybe it wasen't as noticable or obvious to everyone else.

Edited by 3ku11

I keep reading about how Penny has learned to trust Leonard more and all the compromising she is doing.  So, I am trying to understand the trust thing alone with the compromising thing.

I have to agree. Just what specifically is her damage? She's had no trouble connecting with pretty jerkwads and assholes (Kurt, the blogger, David Underhill. In fact we haven't heard about even one ex worth bothering with) But can't seem to commit to someone who actually cares about her. Sure she's been better lately but even as late as v-day she acts like she's afraid. It can't be a fear that Leonard will treat her badly after all these years. If he was going to dump on her, he'd have done it by now. Just WHAT is she afraid she's going to loose if she marries Leonard? Her 'acting career', that was always a longshot, and Leonard wouldn't stand in her way. We need and deserve some real reason.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 4

I have to agree. Just what specifically is her damage? She's had no trouble connecting with pretty jerkwads and assholes (Kurt, the blogger, David Underhill. In fact we haven't heard about even one ex worth bothering with) But can't seem to commit to someone who actually cares about her. Sure she's been better lately but even as late as v-day she acts like she's afraid. It can't be a fear that Leonard will treat her badly after all these years. If he was going to dump on her, he'd have done it by now. Just WHAT is she afraid she's going to loose if she marries Leonard? Her 'acting career', that was always a longshot, and Leonard wouldn't stand in her way. We need and deserve some real reason.

Yeah Penny comes across hyopcritical at times, she diddnt want to date Leonard because she felt he was too smart for her, yet she had no problem dating Stuart., or David Underhill who ironically was kinda a cross between dumb gym guys e.t.c. Zac and Leonard. She prob doesent want to marry Leonard if thats the case, or she hasen't commited to Leonard in the past e.t.c. I think theirs a simple explanation, she was scared she diddn't want to lose her self, I am a very independant person, so I can relate to Penny and how she feels. But I do agree Leonard does deserve alot more from Penny, but as you said you saw it alot more in S6, hopefully that continues in S7, ok im done haha.

I keep reading about how Penny has learned to trust Leonard more and all the compromising she is doing. So, I am trying to understand the trust thing alone with the compromising thing.

You're fine, I don't know what her deal has been. I just hope she has changed. I could not stomach more time on that rollercoaster so I'm investing heavily in the future.

She looks like she's changed, so I'm going to believe her. And Leonard would croak if she jumped on his heart again so I'm hoping they won't play that particular game again.

many reasons for expecting that have been run through on another thread.

When I think of Penny's karmic burden, it is more to finally realize what a catch Leonard is, and actually put some work into the relationship.As recently as the episode with the Buffy DVDs, she was balking at the "work" required to keep a relationship going and deepen it. So far, Penny has been at her best for Leonard when she was working at the relationship. I'm thinking of when she went to his lab, helping him get tenure, or supporting him going away on an expedition. She's also good when she thinks she's in trouble, as in everytime Alex shows up, or when she was such a bitch for no apparent reason at the VD dinner. What I think would balance things out a bit is if Leonard gets a little of that rock star scientist thing going, like David Underhill. A group of cute graduate students wanting to join Leonard research group would be just the thing. Leonard could actually involve them in his research, unlike Sheldon.

• Like 3

I find it ironical Penny dated alot of guys, yet their must be something wrong of her because she diddn't see what was screaming in her face the whole time, Leonards a catch! Your not getting any younger! Haha I mean come on she is young, gorgeous in her mid 20's she doesent neccessarily need to settle just because Leonard is a great guy. Anyway their seems to various opinions on Penny but its all good. 

She's an enigma.

I like to imagine theirs a time continium in TBBT, that consists of Four Dimensions; Dimension 1: Actress/ Tv Host Super Star Penny  Dimension 2. Penny that still lives with Kurt Dimension 3. Penny as we see her now and Dimension 4. World of Warcraft Penny. As that would explain her decision making alot clearly lol so she is definately an enigma ;)

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Just what specifically is her damage? She's had no trouble connecting with pretty jerkwads and assholes (Kurt, the blogger, David Underhill. In fact we haven't heard about even one ex worth bothering with) But can't seem to commit to someone who actually cares about her. Sure she's been better lately but even as late as v-day she acts like she's afraid. It can't be a fear that Leonard will treat her badly after all these years. If he was going to dump on her, he'd have done it by now. Just WHAT is she afraid she's going to loose if she marries Leonard? Her 'acting career', that was always a longshot, and Leonard wouldn't stand in her way. We need and deserve some real reason.

I, like you, have pondered this and the only explanation is she really does fear Leonard will change his feelings for her after she totally commits to him. At the moment he is on a quest for her and is obsessed with obtaining his goal. What happens when he finally has her?

The writers voiced Penny's fear that Leonard will look at what he's got with his trophy and notice that there's not much there beyond the shiny outer coating. This exchange from "The Bad Fish Paradigm" gives the reason for her fear:

Penny: So, do you think that if Leonard and I keep dating he’ll eventually get bored with me.

Sheldon: That depends.

Penny: On what?

Sheldon: Do you have a working knowledge of quantum physics?

Penny: No.

Sheldon: Do you speak Klingon?

Sheldon: Do you know any card tricks?

Penny: Okay, okay, you know, I get it, Leonard has no business being involved with a waitress slash actress who felt so insecure that she lied to him about finishing community college.

Penny has really done little to better her post-commitment position with Leonard and she knows it. She's tried to go to school, dabbled in some geeky stuff like comic books, chess, "Buffy" and D&D and tried to appreciate his work but her overwhelming bad character trait, laziness, keeps her from completing any of those connection points with Leonard successfully.

Penny's stop gap solution to this short fall in her personal resume is sex, which is very liberally applied to Leonard. But she must worry that when she marries Leonard that will start to lose its effectiveness, especially as she gets older.

All of this is a moot point if Penny were to trust that Leonard is deeper than that. He has proven to her in the Beta Test that his love for her is beyond sex. But the writers will have to eventual have a scene where Leonard explains to Penny why he loves her so uniquely.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

^Do you think Penny dated say Zac because his world views, or his card tricks, or his working knowledge of quantum physics? Lol she dated him because he was fun and casual, she is dating Leonard because he challenges her intellectually and emotionally. People keep asking what is she afraid of? Hard to say various things, but I think the main thing is deep down she doesent beleive she is good enough for Leonard, that has to with her self actulization that evolved alot, but see what happens in S7. 

I, like you, have pondered this and the only explanation is she really does fear Leonard will change his feelings for her after she totally commits to him. At the moment he is on a quest for her and is obsessed with obtaining his goal. What happens when he finally has her?

The writers voiced Penny's fear that Leonard will look at what he's got with his trophy and notice that there's not much there beyond the shiny outer coating. This exchange from "The Bad Fish Paradigm" gives the reason for her fear:

Penny: So, do you think that if Leonard and I keep dating he’ll eventually get bored with me.

Sheldon: That depends.

Penny: On what?

Sheldon: Do you have a working knowledge of quantum physics?

Sheldon: Do you speak Klingon?

Sheldon: Do you know any card tricks?

Penny: Okay, okay, you know, I get it, Leonard has no business being involved with a waitress slash actress who felt so insecure that she lied to him about finishing community college.

Penny has really done little to better her post-commitment position with Leonard and she knows it. She's tried to go to school, dabbled in some geeky stuff like comic books, chess, "Buffy" and D&D and tried to appreciate his work but her overwhelming bad character trait, laziness, keeps her from completing any of those connection points with Leonard successfully.

Penny's stop gap solution to this short fall in her personal resume is sex, which is very liberally applied to Leonard. But she must worry that when she marries Leonard that will start to lose its effectiveness, especially as she gets older.

All of this is a moot point if Penny were to trust that Leonard is deeper than that. He has proven to her in the Beta Test that his love for her is beyond sex. But the writers will have to eventual have a scene where Leonard explains to Penny why he loves her so uniquely.

Two things.

1. She was asking SHELDON!!! That's like dropping your kids off at Neverland Ranch and ignoring the sign saying 'You must be this tall to ride Michael'.

2. That was approximately FIVE YEARS AGO. Since then they've been in a relationship, she's dumped him, they've been friends, he's had other relationships and they're back together and have been for over a year. IF he was going to drop her for any frivolous reason he would have by now. In fact she was thinking of dumping him again because he wasn't exciting enough. While it's true Leonard's not great in relationships, compared to Penny he's the poster boy.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2