Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

I took it to mean that he wanted to have coitus with Penny without being bothered by Sheldon. (Remember what happened when they came back from the Magnetic North Pole?)

Leonard: "I didn't tell Sheldon so we could have a few days alone."

Penny: "Oh, that is so romantic!"

Leonard: "Sure... that's why I did it."

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The idea of it being romantic just didn't cross his mind but obviously they were being cute and did have some romantic time together. I thought that was quite funny :) 

tumblr_mtrh1d1QJY1sp407ko3_500.png

tumblr_mtrh1d1QJY1sp407ko4_500.png

I found it really adorable just how much Penny missed him. "All this time I've been sitting here doing nothing but miss this guy." :wub: 

It's so true though, he had a lot to keep him busy and distracted out there but you can tell he did miss her because he came home early just to spend time with her, and also getting everyone to say hi to her on the boat even if he was drunk, and how proud he was "I swear that's my girlfriend" obviously he's been talking about her a lot!

Aaaaaah amazing.

• Like 7

I took it to mean that he wanted to have coitus with Penny without being bothered by Sheldon. (Remember what happened when they came back from the Magnetic North Pole?)

Notice that when he said "a few days" Penny had no problem with it.  Going back to last season when Leonard wanted to move in with her, if he'd said something along the likes of 'I'd like to live here for a few days while I find somewhere else to live'. She might have eventually asked him to stay rather than see him leave (and have Sheldon across the hall).

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 3

Notice that when he said "a few days" Penny had no problem with it.  Going back to last season when Leonard wanted to move in with her, if he'd said something along the likes of 'I'd like to live here for a few days while I find somewhere else to live'. She might have eventually asked him to stay rather than see him leave (and have Sheldon across the hall).

YES :wub: I thought this too. She seemed so excited by the prospecting of spending a few days with Leonard, and Leonard alone, practically living together just for that short amount of time. It felt like Penny really did miss him all that time and seeing him genuinely made her so happy, and spending time with him and saying it was romantic was just cute - like all she wanted to do, was be with him. 

• Like 4

Yeah, ok, I can see that. All is well :)

Notice that when he said "a few days" Penny had no problem with it. Going back to last season when Leonard wanted to move in with her, if he'd said something along the likes of 'I'd like to live here for a few days while I find somewhere else to live'. She might have eventually asked him to stay rather than see him leave (and have Sheldon across the hall).

I didn't catch that but that is a nice development.

I don't even think it was just about having sex without Sheldon getting in the way. Leonard probably had a whole list of reasons why he wanted to stay with Penny for a few days, and was probably quite prepared to whip them out one at a time if she reacted to him living with her for a few days the same way she reacted to him moving in in S6. Romance probably didn't even make the list, but when she said it was romantic, well there's no point in turning down an such excellent explanation of his motivation.

Also I totally get why Penny wanted to keep her movie role a secret. It had nothing to do with appearing topless in a movie, it had everything to do with appearing in such a terrible movie. The title alone is so cringe-worthy no one in their right mind would want to be associated with it.

• Like 5

While I agree  with most of what has been said here I was a little underwhelmed by Leonard's demeanor. This might very well be just a personal preference but I was hoping to see him being more passionate. On the point of who missed whom the most it's reasonable that Penny had a harder time because she is the one who stayed and kept on going about with her normal routine (with the added "bonus" of having to take care of Sheldon), and Leonard is the one who left, and for all intents and purposes went on an adventure.  

• Like 4

I don't even think it was just about having sex without Sheldon getting in the way. Leonard probably had a whole list of reasons why he wanted to stay with Penny for a few days, and was probably quite prepared to whip them out one at a time if she reacted to him living with her for a few days the same way she reacted to him moving in in S6. Romance probably didn't even make the list, but when she said it was romantic, well there's no point in turning down an such excellent explanation of his motivation.
Doesn't that bother you a little bit though? We're fans of this relationship shouldn't it bug us a little bit that seeing Penny just to see her wasn't a priority? Sex and not wanting to go back to Sheldon so soon doesn't seem like the stuff good romance is made of. Now maybe there was more to his feelings but he didn't really show it with words.

It's great to counterbalance sometimes. Leonard don't have to always run after Penny like a puppy. It's not like he loves her less, he's just more confident.
I would think that Leonard should be very careful not to allow his confidence to blind him to simple kindness. He's been gone for 4 months, acting like he missed his girlfriend just for her not being around isn't going to set him back in the confidence department. I would think Penny would be grateful to have been missed. Keep in mind this is not mean to detract from his fun. 7.1 was great in dealing with that. 7.2 came across different than I expected but I guess it is all in how you read his actions. I get where both sides are coming from here. Edited by JonRS92
  • Like 2

Doesn't that bother you a little bit though? We're fans of this relationship shouldn't it bug us a little bit that seeing Penny just to see her wasn't a priority? Sex and not wanting to go back to Sheldon so soon doesn't seem like the stuff good romance is made of. Now maybe there was more to his feelings but he didn't really show it with words.

I never said he didn't do it because he missed her, I just said it wasn't about romance. The last time Leonard tried to do romance for the sake of romance was in "Tangible Affection", and look how that turned out. I actually think it's better that a lot of the romantic things that Leonard and Penny do are kind of accidental, it makes it seem more real and less sappy than if all their big romantic moments were planned out in advance.

• Like 2

There are all sorts of things and all sorts of thoughts when you are coming back from being away from someone. Having done a one year and three six month and several three month trips away, you are always happy, grateful, excited, etc, etc, etc.   Just because a GUY, doesn't specify romance, doesn't mean that coming back means any less to him.  I won't lie, sex is a very important component of it, but not something you're going to be able to do for 18 hours a day.  There will be plenty of time for cuddling, touching and just being with the person you love and missed.  I think it's kind of nice (and romantic) that Leonard wanted to stay away from Sheldon.  He knew damn well that if he let Sheldon know he was home, he wouldn't have any time with Penny alone.

• Like 5

Leonard's return was fine. It was not perfect but it was definitely fine : after learning that he would be back a couple of days early, he immediately thought of spending the extra time with his girlfriend, which in and by itself was a lovely and touching idea, regardless of the exact nature of his motivations. The delivery was, I felt, a tad underwhelming but still firmly in the perfectly OK range. So no problem there, as far as I am concerned.

HIs showing of the horror movie to his colleagues played out well. He was clearly inebriated and wanted to show off. His adorably silly and smug face when the other "sea dogs" started chanting his name pretty much confirmed that. Even the suggested series of events leading to the viewing of the cinematographic masterpiece that is The Serial Apeist made perfect sense : Leonard was drunk and boogying the night away when he received Penny's call, he obviously had talked about his girlfriend to his crewmates before given their lack of surprise when he asked them to greet her by name; after the call was disconnected, one of his new pals must have gone to him and asked further details about this Penny he had told them so much about so Leonard decided to up the ante and show them exactely the object of his affection... Hence the improvised viewing and the "That's my girfriend I swear to God". 

He was merry; he wanted some extra street cred'... He showed the movie !  

I would think that Leonard should be very careful not to allow his confidence to blind him to simple kindness. He's been gone for 4 months, acting like he missed his girlfriend just for her not being around isn't going to set him back in the confidence department. I would think Penny would be grateful to have been missed. Keep in mind this is not mean to detract from his fun. 7.1 was great in dealing with that. 7.2 came across different than I expected but I guess it is all in how you read his actions. I get where both sides are coming from here.

I smell our yearly dose of dramatic drama...

Leonard has every right under the sun to feel confident. There is no reason for him to doubt anymore : no reason to doubt Penny's love for him (she finally confirmed it in The 43 Peculiarity), no reason to doubt his worth as a scientist (he was picked by Hawking to go on a scientific mission), no reason to doubt his social skills (he managed to make new friends on the boat)... All contributing factors to him feeling much more secure than he ever has . 

The problem, if problem there is to be (and considering it is TBBT and Leonard we are talking about, there will be a problem), may be that he does not have the skills to handle self-confidence. He has never had to develop said skills because, well, he is Leonard and, in his mind, he is the eternal Charlie Brown. 

He is bound to make mistakes, to mismanage this newly found sense of self and, possibly, to go a teeny bit astray. I cannot fathom him doing anything truly awful for he will forever be a deeply good and kind man at heart, but he could go slightly wrong. Completely by accident. 

The first couple of episodes introduced that possibility, I believe. We got a tiny foretaste of a new, cockier Leonard whose heart is no longer as on his sleeves as it used to be...  

Anyway, everything will be fine. Even if he messes up, Penny will forgive him (after she kicks his tushie, Leonidas style). She has to now : they are a team. 

• Like 3

TBS  is showing Season Six starting tonight through Sunday Night.

For some reason these episodes aren't included in tv listing:

6.08  The 43 Peculiarity

6.11  The Santa Simulation

6.13  The Bakersfield Expedition

6.19  The Closet Reconfiguration

6.20  The Tenure Turbulence

6.23  The Love Spell Potential

I never said he didn't do it because he missed her, I just said it wasn't about romance. The last time Leonard tried to do romance for the sake of romance was in "Tangible Affection", and look how that turned out. I actually think it's better that a lot of the romantic things that Leonard and Penny do are kind of accidental, it makes it seem more real and less sappy than if all their big romantic moments were planned out in advance.

You could very well be right.  Mine is a personal preference.  I would have preferred that it wasn't as up to interpretation as it is.  If they had eliminated that one line entirely I think I would have been very happy (not that I am not happy now).  I know that the writers try and go for the laugh even while giving us the emotion and maybe I was hypersensitive to it after worrying a tiny bit about 7.1.

There are all sorts of things and all sorts of thoughts when you are coming back from being away from someone. Having done a one year and three six month and several three month trips away, you are always happy, grateful, excited, etc, etc, etc.   Just because a GUY, doesn't specify romance, doesn't mean that coming back means any less to him.  I won't lie, sex is a very important component of it, but not something you're going to be able to do for 18 hours a day.  There will be plenty of time for cuddling, touching and just being with the person you love and missed.  I think it's kind of nice (and romantic) that Leonard wanted to stay away from Sheldon.  He knew damn well that if he let Sheldon know he was home, he wouldn't have any time with Penny alone.

All true, though like I said, I might have handled wanting to avoid Sheldon a little differently.  But I am not a pro writer and millions of viewers must mean they are doing things right (And I agree with that most of the time.  I do have some personal preferences though)  When I read the taping reports I had no problem with the premise of avoiding Sheldon.  It does make sense for Leonard to want to be with Penny for a little bit before Sheldon knows he's back.  We all know that.  And I also know that a lot happens or is implied that we do not see.  The choice of what was included just threw me a little.

Leonard's return was fine. It was not perfect but it was definitely fine : after learning that he would be back a couple of days early, he immediately thought of spending the extra time with his girlfriend, which in and by itself was a lovely and touching idea, regardless of the exact nature of his motivations. The delivery was, I felt, a tad underwhelming but still firmly in the perfectly OK range. So no problem there, as far as I am concerned.

That was my point. After anticipating it for this long I guess I expected a bit more. It was by no means a bust for me.

I smell our yearly dose of dramatic drama...

Leonard has every right under the sun to feel confident. There is no reason for him to doubt anymore : no reason to doubt Penny's love for him (she finally confirmed it in The 43 Peculiarity), no reason to doubt his worth as a scientist (he was picked by Hawking to go on a scientific mission), no reason to doubt his social skills (he managed to make new friends on the boat)... All contributing factors to him feeling much more secure than he ever has . 

The problem, if problem there is to be (and considering it is TBBT and Leonard we are talking about, there will be a problem), may be that he does not have the skills to handle self-confidence. He has never had to develop said skills because, well, he is Leonard and, in his mind, he is the eternal Charlie Brown. 

He is bound to make mistakes, to mismanage this newly found sense of self and, possibly, to go a teeny bit astray. I cannot fathom him doing anything truly awful for he will forever be a deeply good and kind man at heart, but he could go slightly wrong. Completely by accident. 

The first couple of episodes introduced that possibility, I believe. We got a tiny foretaste of a new, cockier Leonard whose heart is no longer as on his sleeves as it used to be...  

Anyway, everything will be fine. Even if he messes up, Penny will forgive him (after she kicks his tushie, Leonidas style). She has to now : they are a team.

I would agree with all of that. There has to be some kind of issue this season and this may be it.  I actually hope that this is in fact the issue because then I will know I was okay to have noticed maybe a slight lack of tact on Leonard's part in that reunion scene.

TBS  is showing Season Six starting tonight through Sunday Night.

For some reason these episodes aren't included in tv listing:

6.08  The 43 Peculiarity

6.11  The Santa Simulation

6.13  The Bakersfield Expedition

6.19  The Closet Reconfiguration

6.20  The Tenure Turbulence

6.23  The Love Spell Potential

Those are the best episodes IMO, I hope that is some kind of mistake.  Now I did not look too closely at it last weekend, but TBS may go out of order a bit on weekends.  Maybe Monday it picks back up again.  That's just a shot in the dark on this one though as I have not looked at the guide.

• Like 1

I don't find it funny.

Well, I look at it this way.  First, I usually I take this stuff seriously and I wanted to take a small break from that :)  Second, maybe, just maybe, Penny is busting Leonard's chops over whatever is in that book and if she is then Leonard playing on her sympathies to manipulate her wont seem like such a jerk move.

That last photo is kind of funny. Penny looks all happy and Leonard looks so miserable.

I don't find it funny.

I think everything is open to one's interpretation. An example of this was in the last episode. Leonard hid in Penny's apartment and she thought he did it to be romantic. Then Leonard said something like that's the reason I did it but you knew he was lying. My original interpretation and I believe @Jon's was he was trying to avoid Sheldon. Others thought it was he just wanted to have sex with Penny. I never thought that originally but after thinking about it they were probably right. Just like @Molly's picture above. Your first interpretation is that It looks like Penny is feeling sorry for Leonard for troubles with his mother, In reality it was Leonard playing the pity card for sex.

• Like 2

Thank you eirwinrommel. Those pictures are gorgeous. Ms. Cuoco always looks particularly lovely with wavy hair. 

I don't find it funny.

At that point in the episode, if I remember correctly, Leonard himself is sort of cracking jokes at his mother's books himself (portraying it as the track record of every fluid that came out of his body during his formative years, or something to that effect). Now, we know he does it as a way to defuse his embarrassment but I do not think it not be overly insensitive of Penny to joke back. I do not get the feeling, from this picture or from the taping report, that she is being mocking. She is merely playing along, looking for photographic evidence of what he describes.

She will be more receptive to his "pain" later in the episode...  something Leonard will exploit for his own gain  ;)

As for the book itself : Dear Heavens ! The Disappointing Child ! Could Beverly not think of a slightly more traumatic title ? 

On the one hand I am disappointed it is not the much vaunted Needy Baby Greedy Baby; on the other, I like that it is not. It allows one to keep on wondering whether said work (and its fascinating content in re. Penny) does exist or is a figment of Leonard's imagination. 

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 2

I got a chance to rewatch the first two episodes before I got a chance to catch up on the forum, which was interesting. There are a couple of points I noticed. Most importantly, while in the usual way for syndication, the two episodes are treated as separate, unrelated episodes, in reality, we got a one hour premiere. Since this is not something they've done before, the writers wanted to make all of the points they did together. Consider the first and second scenes of "The Hofstader Insufficiency", then the last scene of "The Deception Verification". They are bookends.

Sheldon's dream starts off with him going off on something no one else would even remark upon, yet he has to call Leonard as soon as he discovers it, and then refuses to let Leonard put a word in edgewise. When Penny and Sheldon called, clearly it was because Sheldon, as usual, has no ability to defer his desires. He knows what time it is in the North Sea (5 AM or there abouts, I forget exactly, but clearly in the deep of the night. Being Sheldon, he wants to talk to Leonard, so he's calling RIGHT THE HELL NOW!). He then spends some time adding to Penny's misery to the point where he is clearly manipulating her to be the reason they call Leonard. He can't admit that he misses Leonard. The bookend is the second episode, where we find out what "missing" Leonard entails. Catering to Sheldon's whims. Boy does Leonard ever look excited (holds up Sarcasm sign here). Is there any doubt that Leonard's motivation to return early includes a large dose of wanting a few days without Sheldon with Penny?

Further, if Leonard wanted to kill a few days without Sheldon, if Penny weren't uppermost in his desires, he could have done it anywhere. Shoot, he was in England with a bunch of new friends. He surely could have entertained himself nicely for the several days between getting off the boat and flying back to Pasadena. Keep in mind two other things I would suggest. Either he planned to come back early, as changing one's transcontinental tickets with only a few days notices would be breathtakingly expensive, or he was willing to take a huge financial hit to come home to see Penny early. So he either plans to come back several days before he told Sheldon he would, therefore reserving time alone with Penny, or he paid a huge amount of money to run back to see her as soon as possible without Sheldon.

After consideration, his respond to Penny saying it was so romantic was actually accurate on two fronts to me. First, he had to be as horny as the proverbial sailor, and probably didn't think that what he had planned for Penny at that exact moment fell into the romantic category. The porn movie category might be more appropriate (as in pounding the bed into splinters and we all speculated would happen when discussing the S6 finale). Second, romance and Penny have been shown to be enemies. Whenever Leonard tries to be romantic, Penny has not responded well. She's always been on board to what I'm she he did have planned (several days of sex) so when she says romance, he should be suspicious. Who is this Penny that is all romantic? What has she been doing for four months? Reading romance novels? This could be bad. I believe that we've been trained to immediately consider Sheldon to be the big problem. I suggest that I would be a little off-put if I were Leonard coming home and having Penny start talking about romance. It is out of character for her. Leonard has on more than one occasion been suspicious when Penny gets gooey and romantic. Recall the VD episode, where after they agree that Leonard is never going to propose again, and it will be on Penny. Penny then gets dewy eyed and shy, then says she has a very important question to ask him, using his full name. Leonard was highly suspicious of where it was going. So romantic Penny is something that he's not comfortable with, since it isn't something he's seen much. For five and a half years, he's been chasing her. Even after "The 43 Peculiarity" with the ILY, things were still not smooth sailing. It is only after the VD episode that things settled down at all, and now they are both in uncharted territory. Penny acting romantic, and Leonard confident? What planet is this?

Finally, when we bemoan the lack of romance, we have to recall that these writers are comedy writers with an edge. Chuck Lorre does the hiring, and romance is not a feature of his work. I suggest that these writers are not chosen because writing romantic comedy is their strong point. That they appear to be bad at it is starting not to surprise me. There are other shows that are romantic comedies. TBBT isn't one of them, in spite of many ships in our forum. I actually think they do OK for this particular show, as it isn't about basically normal sitcom people. It is a comedy about a bunch of nerds who have no clue, and as is apparent now, a waitress/actress who apparently has no clue either, as in how to be in a proper romantic relationship. 

By the way, the Howard/Raj/Bernadette arc in the second episode was very, very funny. Bernadette just standing there watching Howard and Raj feel each other up was priceless!

• Like 6

I got a chance to rewatch the first two episodes before I got a chance to catch up on the forum, which was interesting. There are a couple of points I noticed. Most importantly, while in the usual way for syndication, the two episodes are treated as separate, unrelated episodes, in reality, we got a one hour premiere. Since this is not something they've done before, the writers wanted to make all of the points they did together. Consider the first and second scenes of "The Hofstader Insufficiency", then the last scene of "The Deception Verification". They are bookends. Sheldon's dream starts off with him going off on something no one else would even remark upon, yet he has to call Leonard as soon as he discovers it, and then refuses to let Leonard put a word in edgewise. When Penny and Sheldon called, clearly it was because Sheldon, as usual, has no ability to defer his desires. He knows what time it is in the North Sea (5 AM or there abouts, I forget exactly, but clearly in the deep of the night. Being Sheldon, he wants to talk to Leonard, so he's calling RIGHT THE HELL NOW!). He then spends some time adding to Penny's misery to the point where he is clearly manipulating her to be the reason they call Leonard. He can't admit that he misses Leonard. The bookend is the second episode, where we find out what "missing" Leonard entails. Catering to Sheldon's whims. Boy does Leonard ever look excited (holds up Sarcasm sign here). Is there any doubt that Leonard's motivation to return early includes a large dose of wanting a few days without Sheldon with Penny? Further, if Leonard wanted to kill a few days without Sheldon, if Penny weren't uppermost in his desires, he could have done it anywhere. Shoot, he was in England with a bunch of new friends. He surely could have entertained himself nicely for the several days between getting off the boat and flying back to Pasadena. Keep in mind two other things I would suggest. Either he planned to come back early, as changing one's transcontinental tickets with only a few days notices would be breathtakingly expensive, or he was willing to take a huge financial hit to come home to see Penny early. So he either plans to come back several days before he told Sheldon he would, therefore reserving time alone with Penny, or he paid a huge amount of money to run back to see her as soon as possible without Sheldon. After consideration, his respond to Penny saying it was so romantic was actually accurate on two fronts to me. First, he had to be as horny as the proverbial sailor, and probably didn't think that what he had planned for Penny at that exact moment fell into the romantic category. The porn movie category might be more appropriate (as in pounding the bed into splinters and we all speculated would happen when discussing the S6 finale). Second, romance and Penny have been shown to be enemies. Whenever Leonard tries to be romantic, Penny has not responded well. She's always been on board to what I'm she he did have planned (several days of sex) so when she says romance, he should be suspicious. Who is this Penny that is all romantic? What has she been doing for four months? Reading romance novels? This could be bad. I believe that we've been trained to immediately consider Sheldon to be the big problem. I suggest that I would be a little off-put if I were Leonard coming home and having Penny start talking about romance. It is out of character for her. Leonard has on more than one occasion been suspicious when Penny gets gooey and romantic. Recall the VD episode, where after they agree that Leonard is never going to propose again, and it will be on Penny. Penny then gets dewy eyed and shy, then says she has a very important question to ask him, using his full name. Leonard was highly suspicious of where it was going. So romantic Penny is something that he's not comfortable with, since it isn't something he's seen much. For five and a half years, he's been chasing her. Even after "The 43 Peculiarity" with the ILY, things were still not smooth sailing. It is only after the VD episode that things settled down at all, and now they are both in uncharted territory. Penny acting romantic, and Leonard confident? What planet is this? Finally, when we bemoan the lack of romance, we have to recall that these writers are comedy writers with an edge. Chuck Lorre does the hiring, and romance is not a feature of his work. I suggest that these writers are not chosen because writing romantic comedy is their strong point. That they appear to be bad at it is starting not to surprise me. There are other shows that are romantic comedies. TBBT isn't one of them, in spite of many ships in our forum. I actually think they do OK for this particular show, as it isn't about basically normal sitcom people. It is a comedy about a bunch of nerds who have no clue, and as is apparent now, a waitress/actress who apparently has no clue either, as in how to be in a proper romantic relationship. By the way, the Howard/Raj/Bernadette arc in the second episode was very, very funny. Bernadette just standing there watching Howard and Raj feel each other up was priceless!
Just out of curiosity, since we spent the break talking about how both Leonard and Penny have matured and changed, why can't Penny be more into romance now? I viewed that VD episode a bit differently. When Penny asks Leonard to be her valentine I didn't think Leonard's apprehension was about being Leary of romantic Penny but more along the lines of "is she actually going to ask me to marry her?" Even if it is just for a second I think that's what he is thinking. With all the progress Penny has made and her maturing and maybe now understanding a bit more what her feelings are, I dont see why she can't be starting to be more romantic. Edited by JonRS92

I think for some of us  were thinking  Penny had just left Sheldon. She was surprised by Leonard in her apartment and he wanted to keep quiet to avoid Sheldon. While everyone seemed correct that Leonard wasn't being romantic @Hammerman's "horny as the proverbial sailor" makes perfect sense.