Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Hmm. I think he dissed Leonard's choice in women and Penny, specifically. It was a joke in the broader scheme of things but it could make one think Proton might be a tiny bit disinhibited, or rude. They had just met the guy and he's making such comments? Only a little niggle. The potato and the pacemaker gag was not Penny's brightest moment either, but everyone had regressed to 8 years old for that episode. This is why I'm looking forward to the call back. Maybe it will play differently.

Yep. The line was uncalled for and I hope we will not get a repeat from this kind of dialogue in the upcoming episode. But I am so happy to see Bob Newhart anywhere that I will probably manage not to mind even if Pr. Proton's rudeness comes back.

As for the pacemaker and the potato, I agree with you to an extent. It definitely was not the brightest idea in the world. Nevertheless, Penny's reasoning was somewhat sound. She was just shown that the potato device could generate some form of energy and suddenly, Pr. Proton's pacemaker needs said energy. She put two and two together, in a rather crude and simplistic way. As far as scientific misunderstandings go, it was nowhere near Zack's assumption that the guys were about to blow up the moon with a laser beam...

• Like 3

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

That line was definitely fine. Nevertheless, compounded with "What do the two of you talk about ?", it became a bit... Off. It was nothing terrible but hopefully this time around will be more pleasant.

On a sidenote, 7.06 is titled The Romance Resonance. Considering Sheldon will be busy with his "breakthrough", I doubt said romance would involve the Shamy, though anything is admitedly possible.

So that leaves us with the Lenny, the Hernadette or Raj (and someone presumably). I wonder.

Is it weird that the episode is titled "The Romance Resonance" yet Sheldon is going to have a breakthrough?  You'd think his breakthrough would be the important part of the episode and that the title would reflect that.  Although, at least that title not immediately imply something nefarious for whichever couple it applies to.

Hmm. I think he dissed Leonard's choice in women and Penny, specifically. It was a joke in the broader scheme of things but it could make one think Proton might be a tiny bit disinhibited, or rude. They had just met the guy and he's making such comments? Only a little niggle. The potato and the pacemaker gag was not Penny's brightest moment either, but everyone had regressed to 8 years old for that episode. This is why I'm looking forward to the call back. Maybe it will play differently.

I think that the writers wrote Newhart's part to have mostly one-liners because that is what he does so well.  The "You're the genius" line which a few scenes later is changed to "What do you two talk about?" is a drastic switch in opinion.  I just think it was about the laughs that those two lines would bring.  Proton did kind of insult all three of them at some point but it was never done in a way that made him unlikable.  That's just his style of comedy that he does very well.

Yep. The line was uncalled for and I hope we will not get a repeat from this kind of dialogue in the upcoming episode. But I am so happy to see Bob Newhart anywhere that I will probably manage not to mind even if Pr. Proton's rudeness comes back.

As for the pacemaker and the potato, I agree with you to an extent. It definitely was not the brightest idea in the world. Nevertheless, Penny's reasoning was somewhat sound. She was just shown that the potato device could generate some form of energy and suddenly, Pr. Proton's pacemaker needs said energy. She put two and two together, in a rather crude and simplistic way. As far as scientific misunderstandings go, it was nowhere near Zack's assumption that the guys were about to blow up the moon with a laser beam...

I too think that Penny might be getting a little mistreated on the potato/pacemaker thing.  I'm no scientist, but I am also not stupid and I might have asked the same thing.  What would have kept me from doing it was the idea of getting TO the pacemaker to hook it up.

• Like 1

I too think that Penny might be getting a little mistreated on the potato/pacemaker thing.  I'm no scientist, but I am also not stupid and I might have asked the same thing.  What would have kept me from doing it was the idea of getting TO the pacemaker to hook it up.

Totally, if there were an external port for a pacemaker designed for attaching alternate power sources the potato would probably work great. Penny not having a working knowledge of pacemakers does not make her an idiot.

• Like 4

Totally, if there were an external port for a pacemaker designed for attaching alternate power sources the potato would probably work great. Penny not having a working knowledge of pacemakers does not make her an idiot.

This is true. I'm not informed about the electrical demands of pacemakers and it's entirely reasonable that the question be asked, as I considered they were transported back to being all 8 years old at the time. My post was badly worded because it didn't make clear that 8 year old Penny was asking the question. Nothing about idiots. :). Just a naive thought that basic science had the answer. Lovely.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Is it weird that the episode is titled "The Romance Resonance" yet Sheldon is going to have a breakthrough?  You'd think his breakthrough would be the important part of the episode and that the title would reflect that.  Although, at least that title not immediately imply something nefarious for whichever couple it applies to.

I think that the writers wrote Newhart's part to have mostly one-liners because that is what he does so well.  The "You're the genius" line which a few scenes later is changed to "What do you two talk about?" is a drastic switch in opinion.  I just think it was about the laughs that those two lines would bring.  Proton did kind of insult all three of them at some point but it was never done in a way that made him unlikable.  That's just his style of comedy that he does very well.

So true. I don't think she was being shown as being stupid, only uneducated. I ask those sorts of questions a lot and I know they sound stupid but it's just because I don't understand the concept and if I get told something I think it can apply for other things too. Just like Penny, she found out this new piece of information and jumped at the chance to find some way to use it. She's not stupid, she's trying to understand something completely foreign to her. Surrounded by geniuses of course her ideas will sound a little silly, just like if one of the guys does something 'un-nerdy' like... Leonard trying to get sympathy sex from Penny via his mums book... it just highlights these things. 

• Like 3

BTW I re-watched the first episode from last week, and it was Sheldon's Idea to call Leonard. So any complaints about calling Leonard at 5:30am (his time) are on Sheldon because he knew what time it was for Leonard, (not Penny's fault).

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

Leonard really didn't diss Penny, like the report sort of let it seem. It was actually Penny who didn't want to be with him because she was only a little upset. Really Leonard and Penny seemed OK tonight, no different than the couples game night last season.

• Like 2

I agree it was overblown and 7.02 leaded me to believe that Penny would choose Sheldon after the two talked about how they would miss spending time with each other when Leonard got back(conversation took place during them walking up stairs).

I have to believe Penny will have a change of mind after tonight episode and dealing with Sheldon over the top craziness.  I guess Penny forgot how Sheldon was during guys vs girls night.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 2

I agree it was overblown and 7.02 leaded me to believe that Penny would choose Sheldon after the two talked about how they would miss spending time with each other when Leonard got back(conversation took place during them walking up stairs).

I have to believe Penny will have a change of mind after tonight episode and dealing with Sheldon over the top craziness.  I guess Penny forgot how Sheldon was during guys vs girls night.

:-)

She basically ditched him in the laundry room.

• Like 1

:-)

She basically ditched him in the laundry room.

I know and I can't see Penny choosing Sheldon again for anything where it is a competition.

I really liked the pairing of Leonard and Bernie (she do be a little bit crazy) and Howard and Amy (only thing there was just a little bit to much singing for me).

• Like 2

Good episode, nice to see that the problems (from the report) were overblown, as usual.

They always are. It's kind of funny sometimes because I sit there like ha this is going to be awesome when we see it! So far my thoughts from the reports to seeing the episode have been right, nothing to worry about y'all! Gotta love a bit of competitive couples in games. Nobody pairs with me unless its beer pong. 

I loved Leonard diving onto the couch. That cracked me up. 

• Like 1

I know and I can't see Penny choosing Sheldon again for anything where it is a competition.

I really liked the pairing of Leonard and Bernie (she do be a little bit crazy) and Howard and Amy (only thing there was just a little bit to much singing for me).

Sheldon picked Penny. It seemed like it was out of a hat. It was neithers choice.

Sheldon picked Penny. It seemed like it was out of a hat. It was neithers choice.

It was before they actually pulling names from the hat.  After Leonard said okay let's do couple, Penny said no, no, I chose Sheldon.

• Like 2

It was before they actually pulling names from the hat.  After Leonard said okay let's do couple, Penny said no, no, I chose Sheldon.

You are correct. Probably did it just to get back at Leonard for not wanting to partner with her.

• Like 2

Quick observation.....

How did you guys like the throw back to S1E14 The Nerdvana Annihilation where Leonard slides down the cable of the elevator ---- yes, I know he couldn't climb up that easy.  I thought hmmm some continuity from the writers for a change.

btw Leonard need to keep on the pull ups so he can finally show Penny he can do one.  :laugh:

You are correct. Probably did it just to get back at Leonard for not wanting to partner with her.

This maybe true, I just thought Penny would have remember the last time they had game night and how crazy Sheldon could be.

• Like 3

She prob also choose Sheldon because of the type of competition, knowing Sheldon could come in handy, and she may feel insulted by Leonard not choosing her so to get back with him said no no no I choose Sheldon, not counting the fact how incessant Sheldon can get, and picky he is with detail poor Penny haha.

• Like 1

Quick question....

If Princeton is one of the top-ranked school in the country why all the putting down on the show (I know it's a comedy).  I was just looking at the ranking of some of the Ivy Leagues and it is usually ranked at the top, is due to being in New Jersey?

Quick question....

If Princeton is one of the top-ranked school in the country why all the putting down on the show (I know it's a comedy).  I was just looking at the ranking of some of the Ivy Leagues and it is usually ranked at the top, is due to being in New Jersey?

That would probably be the biggest reason it gets crap.

After tonight's episode I can't get the idea of another game night out of my head, specifically teams of three with Penny and Bernie on a team (I can't decide if it would be funnier to have them with Sheldon or Leonard as their third).

• Like 1

It was such a nice episode. 

I do not think the reports were exaggerated. We were told Leonard would rather not be paired with Penny and this is what happened. I doubt anyone could expect Dr Hofstadter, who may be one of the kindest men on this earth, to look at his girlfriend in the eyes and say "I would rather slap myself repeatedly in the head with a two-gallon bottle of soy milk until I faint than be on the same team as you". 

The way he reacted to Bernadette's plan (to do couples) was pretty clear; he basically went "Ok, great idea. Let's call that plan B ! As plan A, we could do pretty much anything else". I particularly liked the way Mr. Galecki played it : at the end of Leonard's proposed plan, he pinched his lips and looked around nodding a little anxiously, looking for the others' support as if asking "Can somebody please agree with me so I do not get caught by my girlfriend ?". It was brilliant (and funny) acting. The very moment Penny called him out on it, Leonard relented. Poor soul, he probably realised the hunt did not matter that much and he would rather be with Penny than anyone else anyway. Nevertheless, by then, it was a tad too late and Penny's feathers were already extremely ruffled. 

What was particularly funny about Penny and Leonard's interaction in this episode was that it focused on their main insecurities : intelligence and manliness, respectively. Penny was remarkably quick to (over)react to her boyfriend's short-lived dismissal of her intellectual prowess (or lack thereof) and Leonard was immediately hurt by Bernadette's white lie about his girlfriend describing him as a... Sheldon, cover you ears !

They spent the whole hunt trying to prove their worth to each other. That is sweet !

Quick question....

New Jersey certainly does not help ;)

But, in this case, I believe the perpetual putdowns are partly due to it being Leonard's alma mater ( ;)) on the one hand, and on the other, to it having the "lowest" number of Nobel Prize winners affiliated to it (Harvard tops the league with 144 individual laureates, Cambridge is third with 89, MIT fifth with nine less, and Princeton is seventeenth with 36 -17 in physics still-). Interestingly enough, Caltech is 19th, with 33. But no Literature or Peace awards for them... Just pure, uncut science. And economics !

Edited by Chiara
  • Like 6

That would probably be the biggest reason it gets crap.

New Jersey certainly does not help ;)

But, in this cas, I believe the perpetual putdowns are partly due to it being Leonard's alma mater ( ;)) on the one hand, and on the other, to it having the "lowest" number of Nobel Prize winners affiliated to it (Harvard tops the league with 144 individuals laureates, Cambridge is third with 89, MIT fifth with nine less, and Princeton is seventeenth with 36 -17 in physics still-). Interestingly enough, Caltech is 19th, with 33. But no Literature or Peace awards for them... Just pure, uncut science. And economics !

Thanks Occam's Chainsaw and Chiara.  I have heard other people put Princeton down to so that is why I asked the question.

Quick question....

As far as I can find there's no rivalry between MIT and Princeton. There is a rivalry between MIT and Harvard, as well as MIT and Cal Tech. My guess is the reason they had Howard dis Princeton instead is because it's hard for two people to bond if they're ragging on each other's school's. Howard's on thin ice since he was educated at MIT and now works at Cal Tech. Maybe that's part of why he gets less respect at work. Sheldon was just being Sheldon, "if I didn't go there it's a crappy school' attitude.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

i've just seen this episode ! poor leonard!! he always is the poor one !!!! it was obvious that leonard suggesting pick up names from hat wasn't because he thought penny is stupid !! he just wanted (use his words) mix things up d: i thought that leonard is more confident now but i was wrong. amy and howard were cool together. i didn't find bernie funny. and hey why bernie didn't use to be this competitive in challenges before? Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

Edited by arash

i've just seen this episode ! poor leonard!! he always is the poor one !!!! it was obvious that leonard suggesting pick up names from hat wasn't because he thought penny is stupid !! he just wanted (use his words) mix things up d: i thought that leonard is more confident now but i was wrong. amy and howard were cool together. i didn't find bernie funny. and hey why bernie didn't use to be this competitive in challenges before? Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

I don't know. Penny actually asked to be on a team with him and he suggested the mix things up. A logical conclusion is he didn't want to team with her. Why wouldn't you want to be with your girlfriend? In regards to Bernie has the group done anything competitive before. Her being bossy and loud has happened in the past. I think more the point with that was it really hit home to Leonard that he should have teamed with Penny when asked.

• Like 3

i've just seen this episode ! poor leonard!! he always is the poor one !!!! it was obvious that leonard suggesting pick up names from hat wasn't because he thought penny is stupid !! he just wanted (use his words) mix things up d: 

To add to Chrismo's points (all of which are very valid), Leonard confirmed he had tried not to have Penny on his team during one of his very eventful car rides with Bernadette : when he asked Bernadette whether she thought Penny was mad at him, Mrs Wolowitz asked back "Because you're in the right lane behind a bus and won't go around it ? I'm sure she finds it charming." to which Leonard replied  "No. Because I didn't want her on my team."

So we have to take him at his word. He could have said "Because she thinks/believes/is under the impression that I did not want her on my team"; instead, he stated unequivocally he had not wanted her to be his partner in the scavenger hunt. Now we have to wonder why.

While the "mixing things up" hypothesis could have been somewhat convincing in any other context, I think we have to assume that Leonard, like the others, thought Penny would be a liability, in spite of her ability to use the word correctly and in a sentence.

It does no mean Leonard is a blackhearted villain. It just means he is a bit blind and clumsy as far as his girlfriend's "triggers" are concerned. Will that be addressed at some point this season ? Could be...

As for his desire to apologise to Penny for having hurt her feelings, I do not think it makes him weak in any way, shape or form. Actually, I would be tempted to believe it is very respectable and brave to strive not to wound anybody, especially loved ones. Leonard is a good man. 

• Like 4