Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

Given that Penny seems to have gone to some length to set up her negative reinforcement to Leonard, she's probably coached Beverly.

Might have to consider the possibility that Beverly coached Penny.

As a general rule, is Penny really that manipulative?

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 1

Might have to consider the possibility that Beverly coached Penny.

As a general rule, is Penny really that manipulative?

As a general rule, no. She is pretty straight forward. But when she is very angry, she can get quite devious. The Panty Pinada Polarization was proof of it. 

Edited by Chiara

As a general rule, no. She is pretty straight forward. But when she is very angry, she can get quite devious. The Panty Pinada Polarization was proof of it. 

True dat, she goes right for the weak spot, Sheldon's obsessions, Howard's insecurity, "you are going to grow old and die alone". Raj medical condition "If you have something to say to me, say it to my face" 

Sweet girl next door, my ass. :shok:

Not sure if that is manipulative/devious, or just "going Nebraska"

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 1

Actually I think Penny can be very manipulative. She's just not ways evil about it. As some have said she can get very devious when she feels wronged but she has also shown a penchant to exploit her looks to her own advantage. Free drinks, getting out of jury duty, and maybe a break on her electric bill. So, yes, I think she can be manipulative it's just not always in an evil way.

• Like 2

She wore it for two episode's in a row, she is also no longer holding onto the snowflake Leonard gave her too. I don't think she need's to wear it constantly to validate her relationship with Leonard, she well prob wear it again eventually, so yeah think you are worrying about nothing.

You are correct that she doesn't need to wear it constantly, but why woudlon't she want to? I mean women are not required to wear their engagement ring constantly but they (mostly) do, because they want to, right? Same thing for men and women with their wedding bands. Not that the locket is the same thing, but.....

i don't think we need to worry too much, but I also don't think it's nothing.

You are correct that she doesn't need to wear it constantly, but why woudlon't she want to? I mean women are not required to wear their engagement ring constantly but they (mostly) do, because they want to, right? Same thing for men and women with their wedding bands. Not that the locket is the same thing, but.....

i don't think we need to worry too much, but I also don't think it's nothing.

Maybe someone who has paid a bit more attention to detail can answer this but is it possible that Penny just doesn't like to wear jewelry? Has she over the course of the seven seasons worn many necklaces or rings and such?

Maybe someone who has paid a bit more attention to detail can answer this but is it possible that Penny just doesn't like to wear jewelry? Has she over the course of the seven seasons worn many necklaces or rings and such?

Nope, not really. Occasionally she does, but never anything overly noticeable or significant, usually just some earrings. Even in the Holographic Excitation he asks her 'you wearing any jewellery?' and that would have been a costume note for her not to wear any, but we never really see anything that would make us think she cannot wear an outfit with accessories ever. 

i think there isn't a very special reason for not wearing the locket . one reason could be she wore that because she had missed leonard and after 7 02 when leonard came she didn't need it anymore to help her about missing leonard thing or maybe penny is not that kind of women who like to wear this things because from first season until now i can't remember her wearing any lockets or any kind of this things! Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

Edited by arash

i think there isn't a very special reason for not wearing the locket . one reason could be she wore that because she had missed leonard and after 7 02 when leonard came she didn't need it anymore to help her about missing leonard thing or maybe penny is not that kind of women who like to wear this things because from first season until now i can't remember her wearing any lockets or any kind of this things!

Or... maybe people are simply letting their imaginations run away with them and are turning a whole lot of nothing into a whole lot of something.

• Like 2

Nope, not really. Occasionally she does, but never anything overly noticeable or significant, usually just some earrings. Even in the Holographic Excitation he asks her 'you wearing any jewellery?' and that would have been a costume note for her not to wear any, but we never really see anything that would make us think she cannot wear an outfit with accessories ever. 

Maybe the locket bought on clearance started to turn her neck green... :prankster:

Edited by Kasey
  • Like 1

I believe that the last time we saw any of Penny's old friends was in season 3 when they watched football on Saturdays.  I don't think we know whether or not she still has those friends, but it seems like as Penny has grown up and matured a bit more that her friends are the guys and Amy and Bernadette.  We've seen less party Penny and more domestic Penny.  As such, her circle of friends has changed.

Didn't she also come to the guys' apartment and opened the door with a bunch or girl friends, but they didn't even reaize because they were playing Halo (I think). Don't know if that was before or after football watching Saturdays.

Didn't she also come to the guys' apartment and opened the door with a bunch or girl friends, but they didn't even reaize because they were playing Halo (I think). Don't know if that was before or after football watching Saturdays.

it was before the football watching

it was in season 1. in fact when i saw this scene yesterday i asked about penny's friends. now it's a little odd there is no sign of them. it can be fun if writers bring them back for a few episodes

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

it was before the football watching

it was in season 1. in fact when i saw this scene yesterday i asked about penny's friends. now it's a little odd there is no sign of them. it can be fun if writers bring them back for a few episodes

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

I think if we see any of Penny's old friends again it will be in the context of her being either repulsed by them or just watching sports again.  Her growth over the past couple of seasons would seem to indicate her moving on.  Amy, Bernadette, and the guys are her main friends now.

Not that it is terribly important, but i would like to see Penny with some friends, perhaps fellow actors, or someone from outside the regulars for a change of pace.

I think those were her friends from her Kurt days, so it would make sense that she would slowly distance herself from them. Her friends now would probably be other girls from work, like Cheryl, but they wouldn't be as close as Bernadette and Amy. Remember Bernadette was a friend from work, she introduced to Howard.

• Like 1

She is distant, clinical and... Not that good at her job. This is what makes her funny to me. She is a world-famous expert on child-rearing yet we are given proof after proof that she made terrible mistakes (nothing mean-spirited) when raising her own kids, especially her middle son.  So for all her remarkably complex syntax and intimidating vocabulary,  she has never had any idea how to be a "good" parent (like most parents) so she messed up (like most parents).

I agree with you, thats where the comedy comes from.

As to her appearance in 7.04, at first I was wondering what she would say but now I don't think she has any lines. Hope I'm wrong about that.

• Like 1

The most likely friends for Penny would be those from school now. It is likely that her friend from before the guys have moved on, gotten married (i.e. Gretchen) and just don't run in the same circles anymore.

I wouldn't automatically assume that the locket was of poor quality because he got it on clearance. Sheldon making such a point of telling her was to further his own needs - to get Penny to move the car. I highly doubt that Leonard would go cheap in any regard for Penny. Especially in his going to the North Sea for four months don't forget me present.

I find it interesting that Penny can get Beverly on the phone to a make a Skype appointment at a specific time, for Penny's convenience, when her son isn't entirely sure she would take his call. I'm not sure what to make of that, other than Beverly either is helping Penny because they are "homegirls" or to further he research into Leonard's development.

• Like 3

I don't think bringing Penny's friends back from seasons 1-3 would be all that good.  She seems to have really grown since then and to bring back some of those friends or even Kurt would seem to be regressing.  I agree with what some of the other have said, that her main friends are Leonard, Sheldon and the others.  I am sure that she does have friends at work and from her classes, but I really do not see what they would add to the show.   

• Like 1

I agree with what some of the other have said, that her main friends are Leonard, Sheldon and the others.  I am sure that she does have friends at work and from her classes, but I really do not see what they would add to the show.

The gang are her friends. All she has at school and work, are acquaintances, or people she knows.

• Like 1

I don't remember Penny ever being manipulative in a callous, vindictive, or malicious way in general. She has been mainupulative in the past inadveratantly, by using her looks for money, food e.t.c. And I disagree that Penny is not a sweet girl next door, generally she is, like Leonard said in S2 "Usually your easy going, go with the flow sweet Penny, but when you get angry you turn into the Hulk" haha. Like when she told Howard he is going to die alone, to be fair though that was Howard's fault she pushed Penny to far, and he got an reaction good or bad he got an reaction haha. And in the Panta episode, Penny was devious in getting back at Sheldon from banning her from the apartment. but I don't remember actual manipulation, if their was we have to assume Penny is smarter then Sheldon, and seeing that is not the case lol don't think so. And when it come's to Alex I don't remember her manipulating Alex at all, I remember she showed a lot of insecurities, feeling's she thought she never thought she would have, as just like with Leonard who has insecurities over guy's hitting on her who are much taller, bigger then him, Penny has the same insecurities about Women who posses qualities beyond just external qualities. I remember Amy was manipulative but not Penny. And as everyone has said her Penny no longer hang's out with the friend's you saw male and female in the first three season's, because she has outgrown them. She was 21, idealistic, and had dreams of becoming a movie star, most of her peer's she had then and socialized with reflected her personality, identity, and ideals then. Like with Kurt, most likely she had mutual friend's through Kurt, but when they broke up and Penny started to mature, she became less interested in being friend's with people for their external qualities. You could argue Bernadette and Amy had a huge influence on this change, Penny started too look more in friendships and relationship's, other then commonlarities or values through being in that world of the acting community. She is now 27 so now she is outgrowing her former self when she was 21, their is no need to bring Penny's old friend's back they no longer have any relevance. 

• Like 1

I don't remember Penny ever being manipulative in a callous, vindictive, or malicious way in general. She has been mainupulative in the past inadveratantly, by using her looks for money, food e.t.c. And I disagree that Penny is not a sweet girl next door, generally she is, like Leonard said in S2 "Usually your easy going, go with the flow sweet Penny, but when you get angry you turn into the Hulk" haha. Like when she told Howard he is going to die alone, to be fair though that was Howard's fault she pushed Penny to far, and he got an reaction good or bad he got an reaction haha. And in the Panta episode, Penny was devious in getting back at Sheldon from banning her from the apartment. but I don't remember actual manipulation, if their was we have to assume Penny is smarter then Sheldon, and seeing that is not the case lol don't think so. And when it come's to Alex I don't remember her manipulating Alex at all, I remember she showed a lot of insecurities, feeling's she thought she never thought she would have, as just like with Leonard who has insecurities over guy's hitting on her who are much taller, bigger then him, Penny has the same insecurities about Women who posses qualities beyond just external qualities. I remember Amy was manipulative but not Penny. And as everyone has said her Penny no longer hang's out with the friend's you saw male and female in the first three season's, because she has outgrown them. She was 21, idealistic, and had dreams of becoming a movie star, most of her peer's she had then and socialized with reflected her personality, identity, and ideals then. Like with Kurt, most likely she had mutual friend's through Kurt, but when they broke up and Penny started to mature, she became less interested in being friend's with people for their external qualities. You could argue Bernadette and Amy had a huge influence on this change, Penny started too look more in friendships and relationship's, other then commonlarities or values through being in that world of the acting community. She is now 27 so now she is outgrowing her former self when she was 21, their is no need to bring Penny's old friend's back they no longer have any relevance. 

Well, with the Alex thing, she didn't manipulate Alex, but when she met Alex in the guys' apartment, she quickly drug Leonard away for sex which could be construed as manipulation of Leonard.  Depends on how you look at it I suppose.

Well, with the Alex thing, she didn't manipulate Alex, but when she met Alex in the guys' apartment, she quickly drug Leonard away for sex which could be construed as manipulation of Leonard.  Depends on how you look at it I suppose.

Yeah but like I said that was more based on insecurities she was having, and they were well justified seeing later on Alex ended up pratically asking Leonard out knowing he was dating Penny. So through her insecurities it was almost stamping her authority on their relationship, like back off girlfriend or something lol.

Yeah but like I said that was more based on insecurities she was having, and they were well justified seeing later on Alex ended up pratically asking Leonard out knowing he was dating Penny. So through her insecurities it was almost stamping her authority on their relationship, like back off girlfriend or something lol.

LOL, I kind of viewed it as Penny's way of reminding Leonard of what he has at home :)

• Like 2