Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

I don't know if manipulative is the right word for the way Penny is. She just knows where to aim and doesn't pull her punches. When you cross Penny and she decides something about your behavior needs to change, you know it.

She's not manipulative in a bad way.  She just knows how to use the weapons in her arsenal to get little things done for her.  Often it is not accidental as she knows exactly what she is doing.  She's just not being all evil or anything.  She just knows how she looks and if people want to do things for her why not let them? :)  I actually find that very appealing.  Good looking people who think they are ugly kind of bother me.  Penny's not like that.

• Like 1

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

As a general rule, no. She is pretty straight forward. But when she is very angry, she can get quite devious. The Panty Pinada Polarization was proof of it. 

One thing I loved  about that episode was at the end when she was so determinedly going ahead using the duct tape to make a longer pole. She hadn't surrendered but it was a lame comebac. Then Leonard sweeps in as the hero with the solution.

This time around... Let's see how it runs.

• Like 3

I don't know if manipulative is the right word for the way Penny is. She just knows where to aim and doesn't pull her punches. When you cross Penny and she decides something about your behavior needs to change, you know it.

That, I believe, is pretty much it. If you hit her, she hits you back. Hard.

Disgusted raised a good point by wondering whether Bernadette might have been behind the whole "nightie+Bev on Skype" mission. Indeed, given Penny's rather sanguine disposition, she rarely waits to take her revenge from people : she explodes here and there, Hulk-style, and does not give much of a flying toss about who or what gets hit with the shrapnel. To her, revenge is usually dish best served burning hot.

However, she does have the ability, when need be, to plan ahead and bid her time for her vengeance to have as much impact as possible. That is why I mentioned The Panty Pinata Polarization : she waited for the exact right day and the exact right time, went to the laundry room to fill all the machines and then came back to catch Sheldon in the hallway, in order to savour her victory. That seems about as complex as what she does in 7.04, so it is fair to assume that she has come up with the idea on her own, without Bernadette's contribution. 

One thing I loved  about that episode was at the end when she was so determinedly going ahead using the duct tape to make a longer pole. She hadn't surrendered but it was a lame comebac. Then Leonard sweeps in as the hero with the solution.

This time around... Let's see how it runs.

Leonard truly saved the day and put an end to the madness. But I always assumed the pole Penny was building was merely designed to allow her to get her clothes back from the trees and phone lines Sheldon had thrown them onto. I did not think it was another escalation but rather her getting her stuff back before focusing on whatever mad idea she could come up with to break Dr Cooper. 

Edited by Chiara

Penny just knows how to deal with things in her own way. All the characters have their own little manipulative ways but we just perceive them differently. I think that's why Leonard doing this thing with his mom's book is such a big deal to people, because it's not something we usually see him do. He says himself he's not proud of it but wants to see how far it goes. So he finds that boundary and now he knows. Lesson learned! I'm sure Penny didn't mind the sex, just didn't like being the one almost tricked into it, guess that was her thing when she was younger? 

To be fair the show is about Penny and the guys (and now the girls too) not Penny and her friends. But it's like real life you tend to hang out with certain people more because of the circumstances, but you still have other friends. They don't really need to show her other friends but it would be nice to see how she has changed around them! 

Leonard truly saved the day and put an end to the madness. But I always assumed the pole Penny was building was merely designed to allow her to get her clothes back from the trees and phone lines Sheldon had thrown them onto. I did not think it was another escalation but rather her getting her stuff back before focusing on whatever mad idea she could come up with to break Dr Cooper.

I agree. I thought she had reached a plateau and wanted her stuff back, and the use of duct tape (the universal low tech solution for non-tool users- incriminates self) was just a sign of how she might have been getting out of her depth, or at least weary - but I haven't watched it for a long time. It was just the low tech duct tape that stuck in my mind. I should have been clearer in my post.

(Also, reflect on the hubris of comparing this contretemps to the decision on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, for a joke. I get the joke, but I just now thought about this - overthinking)

• Like 1

Penny just knows how to deal with things in her own way. All the characters have their own little manipulative ways but we just perceive them differently. I think that's why Leonard doing this thing with his mom's book is such a big deal to people, because it's not something we usually see him do. He says himself he's not proud of it but wants to see how far it goes. So he finds that boundary and now he knows. Lesson learned! I'm sure Penny didn't mind the sex, just didn't like being the one almost tricked into it, guess that was her thing when she was younger?

I think I am in accord with you, and I suspect my difficulty is only that Penny resorts to parental intervention and total victory. I could cop that with Sheldon, at the time, as he was still was beholden to his mum, but Leonard had made a choice to live apart. He is apparently flexing his (love) muscles and Penny pushes back, very hard. I'm sure it will be funny. I'll know soon.

Eta: I'm also sure it's inconsequential for the couple. They will be fine.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Why can't we have another nice Lenny date night with a funny ending, like the shooting date in season 5? The writers are taking the lazy route to get Lenny laughs, just using conflict. I would think that Leonard taking Penny horseback riding, because her father said she likes that, would be really funny and they did a horse episode before when she did her commercial. Anyway how about a nice date night.

• Like 5

Why can't we have another nice Lenny date night with a funny ending, like the shooting date in season 5? The writers are taking the lazy route to get Lenny laughs, just using conflict. I would think that Leonard taking Penny horseback riding, because her father said she likes that, would be really funny and they did a horse episode before when she did her commercial. Anyway how about a nice date night.

yes you're right. and most of the time there is no good reason behind their conflicts! there are so many ways to make their relationship exciting .

and like your idea about riding the horses it would be funny to see leonard is riding a horse LoL

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

yes you're right. and most of the time there is no good reason behind their conflicts! there are so many ways to make their relationship exciting .

and like your idea about riding the horses it would be funny to see leonard is riding a horse LoL

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4

It would be so simple to film, one scene with them standing around the horses, with Leonard being nervous, and another scene with them sitting on the horses, that's it. Heck Kaley could sit on her own horse. Heck they don't even have to ride, just sit there showing Leonard on a horse. It would be cute though if Penny leaned over to him and kissed him while the were siting on the horses to thank him for an awesome date.

• Like 1

It would be so simple to film, one scene with them standing around the horses, with Leonard being nervous, and another scene with them sitting on the horses, that's it. Heck Kaley could sit on her own horse. Heck they don't even have to ride, just sit there showing Leonard on a horse. It would be cute though if Penny leaned over to him and kissed him while the were siting on the horses to thank him for an awesome date.

I like something like this or how about Penny planning a special date for her and Leonard ---- Leonard has done it twice for Penny (gun range and TVD) so I would love to see what Penny would plan.

• Like 1

I like something like this or how about Penny planning a special date for her and Leonard ---- Leonard has done it twice for Penny (gun range and TVD) so I would love to see what Penny would plan.

Penny going to one of his conventions and dressing up would fit that bill. I always thought it would be cute if Leonard and the guys got dressed up for a convention, Leonard as Captain Kirk, and just before they leave, Penny surprises him by showing up dressed as Yoeman Rand.

• Like 3

Penny going to one of his conventions and dressing up would fit that bill. I always thought it would be cute if Leonard and the guys got dressed up for a convention, Leonard as Captain Kirk, and just before they leave, Penny surprises him by showing up dressed as Yoeman Rand.

I wish something like this would play out.  Won't happen cause as Penny told Leonard, she had an epiphany not a stoke in S6E21 The Closure Alternative.  Also I think it won't happen due to finance and location but it could be done for Halloween where Leonard and Penny dress-up in this manner --- sweeps begin on October 31st so it would be awesome to see it play out.

• Like 3

There was a taping last night. Anyone find any spoilers around yet? Because, you see, I'm worried about a bunch of fictional people. I'm seriously thinking I need to get a life. 

Don't we all! BTW saw the pants thing on promo #3. Not as bad as I thought... I thought they would be around his ankles, not just being un-done. Though the Ladies may have wanted more.

• Like 2

Don't we all! BTW saw the pants thing on promo #3. Not as bad as I thought... I thought they would be around his ankles, not just being un-done. Though the Ladies may have wanted more.

I agree. That scene the guys probably liked more.

• Like 1

I agree. That scene the guys probably liked more.

With Penny looking like that, I'm surprised his pants (and underwear) weren't not only lowered but in mid-air by the time she turned her computer around to reveal Beverly.

• Like 4

With Penny looking like that, I'm surprised his pants (and underwear) weren't not only lowered but in mid-air by the time she turned her computer around to reveal Beverly.

I really interested what happens after. Most guys would shout 'YOU CALLED MY MOTHER!' and the fight would start.

• Like 2

Maybe that's  on the pay per view version?

• Like 2

I really interested what happens after. Most guys would shout 'YOU CALLED MY MOTHER!' and the fight would start.

I don't think there is a big fight. In this case Leonard knows what he did was wrong and would have a hard time making an excuse.

I don't think there is a big fight. In this case Leonard knows what he did was wrong and would have a hard time making an excuse.

Hard to see him getting too mad, he taught her how to do that. [telling mother]

• Like 3

Hard to see him getting too mad, he taught her how to do that. [telling mother]

um. Disagree. The reasons he won't get mad probably wont be related to that.

If it's what it looks like, she has taunted him, pantsed him (because he has form on dropping his dacks at the door, so she could expect it would happen) AND she turned the webcam around, to show him pants down in front of his mum, so absolute intent of humiliation, in front of the woman who made him wet the bed at 14.

You think you're disgusted. Hah.

If that's what happens its a bad recycled idea. But he will suck it up, because she really does love him and she's doing this for his own good, and just saying, "hey, lets stop now I caught you out" isn't enough. (just borrowing your sign for a moment).

:)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

I hope Leonard learn from this --- should have let Sheldon and Penny take each other.  :laugh:  :biggrin:

I

um. Disagree. The reasons he won't get mad probably wont be related to that.

If it's what it looks like, she has taunted him, pantsed him (because he has form on dropping his dacks at the door, so she could expect it would happen AND she turned the webcam around, to show him pants down in front of his mum, so absolute intent of humiliation, in front of the women who made him wet the bed at 14. You think your're disgusted. Hah.

If that's what happens its a bad recycled idea. But he will suck it up, because she really does love him and she's doing this for his own good, and just saying, "hey, lets stop now I caught you out" isn't enough. (just borrowing your sign for a moment).

:)

Leonard really has nothing to learn. He got what he wanted in both instances.

From the clips I saw his pants stayed on the entire time.

To be fair I think they are just learning how to be in a real, honest, adult relationship and just need to test the boundaries to understand each others limits and how far is 'too far' with things like that. He shouldn't be using that book to get sex from her (though I'm sure she doesn't mind the actual sex part) (wonder if she had that nighty before) (they're going to use it anyway at some point we all know it) and she shouldn't be quite so mean as to show Bevs when he's whacking his pants off. A lesson for them both. It could be worse, she could have opened the laptop up to reveal Bevs in the middle of all the left boob fun?

• Like 2