Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Well, I have to say, I'm disappointed. I was so looking forward to watching some of you spend the next few weeks obsessing over how some minor detail spelled utter doom for the Lenny. You have all failed me, I'm severely disappointed.

not utter doom for lenny .... and not to play spoilsport.....

but since you asked.... the whole idea Penny keeping all the things Leonard gave to her in a box is kind of based on *cough**Friends**cough*...... someone had to say it... :diablo:

Edited by vasu

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

Glad and surprise to see some more continuity by the writers with Lenny again.

One of Penny's mementos:  

The thank you letter he had written after they had sex for the first time.  After reading this I thought of S3E04 The Pirate Solution where Penny tells Leonard he doesn't have to thank her after each time they have sex (Howard is there cooking breakfast).  So I can so see Leonard writing the thank you note.

Just a thought:  Wonder if the snowflake was in the box too.

What's more interesting to me is in that scene after she tells Leonard he doesn't have to say thank you every time they have sex, he says "you're going to get a letter in the mail, just throw it away."  She in fact does the opposite and keeps it.  Great continuity with a twist.

• Like 1

The note is indeed a great callback. Made all the sweeter by the fact that we know their first time was extremely underwhelming. No matter how disappointed he may be, Leonard always says "please" and "thank you". The perfect (if slightly odd) gentleman !

As for the snowflake, it may very well be in the box. Or it might have its own little shrine somewhere...

Well, we know she kept it on her nightstand, when Leonard was dating Priya(the girls found it).  But we haven't had many scenes in her bedroom since they got back together.  I couldn't see very well in the first bedroom scene in "The Extract Obliteration" when Leonard gets up, since it's dark.  However, in the second scene, (where Leonard tells her he rewrote her paper), there appears to be the Red Bag under the Blue Clutch.  Also, there appears to possibly be a small reddish bag on her nightstand in "The Decoupling Fluctuation", when Sheldon comes in to ask her not to break up with Leonard.  I can't say for sure, as to see it, I had to blow it up, which makes it fuzzy, and I'm unable to be sure about it being the bag.    I can't completely identify them, but those are possibilities.  If someone else remembers a different episode since 5.13 please look and let us know.  

• Like 1

I agree. I thought she had reached a plateau and wanted her stuff back, and the use of duct tape (the universal low tech solution for non-tool users- incriminates self) was just a sign of how she might have been getting out of her depth, or at least weary - but I haven't watched it for a long time. It was just the low tech duct tape that stuck in my mind. I should have been clearer in my post.

(Also, reflect on the hubris of comparing this contretemps to the decision on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, for a joke. I get the joke, but I just now thought about this - overthinking)

Leonard also has said Sheldon is one lab accident away from becoming a supervillian, so he wanted to head things off before things got really out of control.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Well, we know she kept it on her nightstand, when Leonard was dating Priya(the girls found it).  But we haven't had many scenes in her bedroom since they got back together.  I couldn't see very well in the first bedroom scene in "The Extract Obliteration" when Leonard gets up, since it's dark.  However, in the second scene, (where Leonard tells her he rewrote her paper), there appears to be the Red Bag under the Blue Clutch.  Also, there appears to possibly be a small reddish bag on her nightstand in "The Decoupling Fluctuation", when Sheldon comes in to ask her not to break up with Leonard.  I can't say for sure, as to see it, I had to blow it up, which makes it fuzzy, and I'm unable to be sure about it being the bag.    I can't completely identify them, but those are possibilities.  If someone else remembers a different episode since 5.13 please look and let us know.  

In 6-02 (The Decoupling Fluctuation) it appears to be her smart phone [laying diagionally on a white book, in front of a pink and black alarm clock](it looks like the same phone she picked up in "The Extract Obliteration" to check the time and she used to call Leonard on the first episode of this season. As for the red item under the clutch, it could be the bag that came with the show flake. It appears to be too thin to have the snow flake in it (check episode 4-17 when they are handling the snow flake while Penny is changing [aprox. 17:20-18:01]). There appears to be a red pen with a white eraser next to the flat red object (bag?) and it looks much thicker. She may have moved it to her box of things she got from Leonard for safe keeping.

Edited by eirwinrommel

I can by the phone explanation, but you would think she would keep the bag and snowflake together. If it is the bag, the snowflake could be under the clutch, which wouldn't change the thickness of the part of the bag we can see.

Coming back to complain that I haven't got anything to complain about anymore

Holidays - tick

Dedication to each other - tick

Romantic gestures - tick

Wild monkey sex - tick

Durability - tick

Grown up relationship - tick

Surviving the mother - tick

They have really firmed up the terms of their relationship and Penny's box is the record of the duration. And its so cute that she doesn't need the big declarations and values the little things. I'd not be worried about the locket anymore either. She knows what's meaningful, she just doesn't need to trumpet things about.

I think the slow burn is now their careers, and the rest of their families. Two down (Wyatt and Beverly) and maybe six to go. And the Hawking trip can't go to waste.

But its Leonard and Penny. One can't get too comfortable.

(still looking forward to a wake-up scene - I'll just wait quietly)

• Like 2

Well this is not the first time Penny has kept something of  value of Leonard's, I remember when they got back together in S5, Penny revealed she had kept Leonard's Asthma Inhaler the past two year's in case he needed it haha that was a really great moment, really showed too that Penny was finnally ready for a serious commitment. 

Well this is not the first time Penny has kept something of  value of Leonard's, I remember when they got back together in S5, Penny revealed she had kept Leonard's Asthma Inhaler the past two year's in case he needed it haha that was a really great moment, really showed too that Penny was finnally ready for a serious commitment. 

daydream....

daydream....

Your point is? I don't have an encyclopedia of all the event's that have occured on the show, and tbh I don't think it make's a difference if it wasen't real, I mean the fact the writer's put it out their who's to say Penny diddn't keep Leonard's Asthma Inhaler the whole time, their's no one saying that she diddn't.

Okay quick thoughts. I personally really enjoyed it, found it funny, and so not as bad as people were making it out to be from the taping report on here. You can see that he didn't plan to use his moms book to 'manipulate' her, he just realized when she offered to not go to the football game that he could do that. Then he decided to test that out. And it's so cute that Penny is willing to drop her plans, and come over to his lab etc to make him feel better. 

Then at the end, he really was traumatised in his child hood, blimey! So I kind of don't blame him! 

Plus there were some really awesome Leonard & Penny moments there to enjoy ;) 

• Like 2

I gotta say after watching that episode I don't feel as betrayed by Leonard as I thought I would. Penny kind of asked for a bit of that. While he definitely should not have kept at it knowing it was wrong, Penny did kind of start it. She pulled a Leonard by not letting go of the subject of his mother's book even though she knew he didn't want to talk about it. So yeah, I found it not so horrendous and laughed as I think I was supposed to :)

Edited by JonRS92
  • Like 1

Then at the end, he really was traumatised in his child hood, blimey! So I kind of don't blame him! 

This is why some of us don't find his mother funny in the less.  I mean you have to wonder how Leonard turned out so decent as he did with Beverly as a mother.  Emotion abuse isn't funny to me and that is what does to Leonard over and over.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 2

This is why some of us don't find his mother funny in the less.  I mean you have to wonder how Leonard turned out so decent as he did with Beverly as a mother.  Emotion abuse isn't funny to me and that is what does to Leonard over and over.

If this was real life, Leonard would have serious woman issues and would probably be a serial killer. We would be watching his story on Criminal Minds.

• Like 5

Loved this episode! more than i actually thought i would to be honest. The Lenny interaction was just perfect, i loved how attentive Penny was being with him. As soon as she realized he was genuinely upset she done what she could to make him feel better and that is just adorable.

Of course Beverley is a mess of a mother, but shes just one of those extreme personalities that pop up in these types of shows. The ping pong paddle thing definitely gave me a laugh out loud moment followed by some major cringeing. Overall though, great little episode, this season is looking pretty great for us so far, roll on episode six! <333333

• Like 3

Looking at this, Leonard just went with the opportunity, there was no planning (at first) to manipulate Penny. Not to mention all the ammunition it gives Penny to tease Leonard. Also, unless Leonard's brother is about 7 years younger then him it gives a lie Beverly's contention that they only had sex for reproduction.

Season 2 episode 15:

Beverley:  Aside from a pro forma consummation of our marriage, his father and I only had intercourse for the purposes of reproduction.

BTW I've seen that Python documentary, It's pretty good.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2

Your point is? I don't have an encyclopedia of all the event's that have occured on the show, and tbh I don't think it make's a difference if it wasen't real, I mean the fact the writer's put it out their who's to say Penny diddn't keep Leonard's Asthma Inhaler the whole time, their's no one saying that she diddn't.

That whole sequence was in Leonard's mind. As was the sex with Penny, the fight with Penny, everything. That was the whole point, Leonard thought about what would happen, thought it would be a disaster, but thought the chance it might work out somehow, was worth it, so he could be with Penny. But, the whole thing was in his mind.

• Like 2