The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

Recommend A Programme Or Film.

I imagine TBBT attracts a specific audience. Which programmes or films would you recommend? (I'm asking because I can't find anything else worth watching). I can recommend 'Peep Show'. Two flatmates, one who is nerdy and obsessive, and their awkward interactions, with other people. Warning contains 'embarrassment humour'! 

Edited by gaqo

I am going to watch ...

Johnny English right now see you later... :icon_razz:by Peter Howitt (2003) with Rowan Atkinson

If you're talking to me. I did watch Blue Peter when I was young. But the other two of your choices, I'm not aware of. Tell us more? The implication of your statement says more about you, than it does me! I don't have an alley!

• Like 1

But seriously, if you want recommendations, you have to tell more about your tastes.

For example, there is no point recommending brit comedy or westers for you, if you do not care for such..

So, tell what sort of programs you like and we can better make recommendations. For example, wether you prefer brit or american detective series, or wether you prefer WW2 or vietnam based war series and so on.

I was just hoping to pick up some ideas. I was hoping fans, who find TBBT stimulating, would have some recommendations for all of us to check out. Also of course, it may lead to further discussion. I still go on YT to watch old Fry and Laurie shows. As you know alot of British humour, has its inception within the Universities, particularly Cambridge Footlights, and is both intelligent and funny.  

If your looking for a comedy series to watch then i recommend Coupling.It's similar to Friends but based in the UK.Personally i though it was very good although i didnt think much of the final series.

Not Going Out and Men Behaving Badly are also very funny UK shows.

All right, here goes

On comedy side, I recommend

Men behaving Badly

Allo allo!

Auf Wiedersehen pet

Jeeves and wooster

Yes prime minister

and a bit newer front, Coupling and Miranda!

american comedy worth seeing:

Rules of Engagement

Middle

Just shoot me

King of Queens

Detective shows:

Inspector morse and inspector lewis

Touch of Frost

Midsommer murders

Poirot

Life on Mars

and from USA: NYPD Blue, Twin PEaks

Scifi: Babylon 5. Sarah Connor chromicles, Dark Angel, GAlactica, V, The Tripods, and of course, Stargate.

War: China Beach, BAnd of Brothers.

Best WEstern: Lonesome Dove

My tastes are rather old fashioned.

Have you been watching the Danish and Swedish dramas; The killing, Borgen, Arne Dahl? I found those refreshing. I enjoy foreign programmes, films and books, because it gives me an insight into different cultures(and even different times). Enjoy 'Dogme Movement' films, anything experimental, it's sometimes hard work, but ultimately rewarding. I watched, Coupling, but it did fade as series went on. Unfortunately, TBBT, seems to be going same way. I saw some late season 6, last night. Shocked at how old, and chubby actors had become(except Sheldon, who doesn't seem to have aged at all). Also most of the plots seemed like a re-hash of earlier episodes. Better start looking for next new programme. 

Edited by gaqo

Have you been watching the Danish and Swedish dramas; The killing, Borgen, Arne Dahl? I found those refreshing. I enjoy foreign programmes, films and books, because it gives me an insight into different cultures(and even different times). Enjoy 'Dogme Movement' films, anything experimental, it's sometimes hard work, but ultimately rewarding. I watched, Coupling, but it did fade as series went on. Unfortunately, TBBT, seems to be going same way. I saw some late series 6, last night. Shocked at how old, and chubby actors had become(except Sheldon, who doesn't seem to have aged at all). Also most of the plots seemed like a re-hash of earlier episodes. Better start looking for next new programme. 

I prefer just watching old comedies, over and over again.

For example, I watch though all the seasons of Allo allo!, and men behaving badly, twize every year.

-and they are still funny!

Now thats quality. Not many todays shows can take repeated watching. For example, with BBT, I can repeatedly wach only the first two season. Rest just are not funny to watch anymore...

Have you been watching the Danish and Swedish dramas; The killing, Borgen, Arne Dahl? I found those refreshing. I enjoy foreign programmes, films and books, because it gives me an insight into different cultures(and even different times). Enjoy 'Dogme Movement' films, anything experimental, it's sometimes hard work, but ultimately rewarding. I watched, Coupling, but it did fade as series went on.

Unfortunately, TBBT, seems to be going same way. I saw some late series 6, last night. Shocked at how old, and chubby actors had become      (except Sheldon, who doesn't seem to have aged at all). Also most of the plots seemed like a re-hash of earlier episodes. Better start looking for next new programme. 

No matter how many stories can be told and how many virtual dreams and romance as yet ...we might even get fed up with the show before this is going to happen on the screen. :icon_cry: About Sheldon lately I find him a bit callous :icon_cheesygrin: (perhaps in another way is ageing too)

I prefer just watching old comedies, over and over again.

For example, I watch though all the seasons of Allo allo!, and men behaving badly, twize every year.

-and they are still funny!

Now thats quality. Not many todays shows can take repeated watching. For example, with BBT, I can repeatedly wach only the first two season. Rest just are not funny to watch anymore...

I've been watching TBBT , first five seasons, on a loop every evening(two a night), and I still find them funny. It's strange, I even know what the next funny line, or scene is going to be, and I start laughing in anticipation. I was given a book, 'Side Effects' by Woody Allen, years ago, and I still find that hilarious. His 'Moose Story' on YT, from his old stand up days is a gem as well!  

No matter how many stories can be told and how many virtual dreams and romance as yet ...we might even get fed up with the show before this is going to happen on the screen. :icon_cry: About Sheldon lately I find him a bit callous :icon_cheesygrin: (perhaps in another way is ageing too)

Yes I know some people seem to ignore it, but under the surface of TBBT(and other comedies), there is often a more serious and sometimes darker sub text. I wonder if once the comedy runs out, that's what we are left with. Am I strong enough to stop watching when this happens. I have with other favourites.

• Like 1

I've been watching TBBT , first five seasons, on a loop every evening(two a night), and I still find them funny. It's strange, I even know what the next funny line, or scene is going to be, and I start laughing in anticipation. I was given a book, 'Side Effects' by Woody Allen, years ago, and I still find that hilarious. His 'Moose Story' on YT, from his old stand up days is a gem as well!  

Hmmm. I used to watch the first season nonstop when it came out on DVD.

But not the latests ones. I mean the humour is just over the top these days, and it only makes me laugh once. In the old days the humour was more realistic, and hence, more funny.

I like 'Cable Guy' with Jim Carrey, taking us through mad obsession(that was poignant, when he was being brought up by watching TV, absorbing everything), to feel good ending! Also 'Limitless' with Bradley Cooper. Self medication can show us a state of being, open the 'doors of perception', and once we've seen it, we can achieve it, without the chemicals. I feel tuned in, connected, all neurons firing most of time!!

I like Louie , it might not be for everyone... but its one sitcom which can make you think(atleast in my case)

there is nothing traditional about it , no format , no formula like most of the shows are

Finished watching allo allo. Went through the whole series, all nine seasons!

-Boy was it funny!

NOw watching the first season on SG Atlantis.

I like everything containing Rowan Atkinson, apart from The Thin Blue Line. I thought series 1 of Blackadder was awful, though. Series 2 is definitely my favourite.

Yes, the first blackadder was rather horrible...

What about the not the nine o'clock news?

I watched a French supernatural drama, The Returned, but it was so slow. People always rave about The Killing. I tend to get put off when people hype up a show...

When I temporarily fell out with TBBT I ran straight into the arms of 3rd Rock from the Sun and Frasier. They had similarly sharp humour and stood the test of time a little longer (although 3rd Rock did flag a tiny bit after season 4.)

I know what you mean about hype setting you up to be put off, but in the case of The Killing, it was justified. Strangely it was the soundtrack which heightened the pace and intensity.