The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ethan Hopkins

Should Sheldon Be Using Something More Complex Than Ubuntu?

Haha, perhaps you're right. I do love Ubuntu though, it's extremely simple yet very refined (which is why I'm using it right now). Having said that, I did create my own Linux OS on my other laptop, but it was too simplistic and took up too much room and, by contrast to Ubuntu, was not very refined.

We all have our preferences. Why should Sheldon be any different? Personally, I use Linux Mint on my laptop for rolling my own personal releases of Android. (Takes a couple of hours, though, which is why I have it on my laptop instead of on my main desktop machine.) I prefer Mint because it gives me the advantages of Ubuntu with a sane, familiar GUI that's not the abomination known as Unity. :)

• Like 1

Sorry to sound stupid, but are these computer operating systems?

I remember one episode Sheldon was at his laptop and complaining that Microsoft Vista was too user friendly. So maybe he uses more than one.

Sorry to sound stupid, but are these computer operating systems?

I remember one episode Sheldon was at his laptop and complaining that Microsoft Vista was too user friendly. So maybe he uses more than one.

Yes he did say that about Vista.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. There are many

Unlike MS Windows which is a propriety operating system Linux is a free and open source operating system kernel. One can obtain other open source components/projects to put together a full custom operating system or they can save a lot of time by choosing one of many Linux distributions (a group of maintainers build the system and distribute it). Ubuntu is one of the most popular distributions. It is based on Debian (which means the maintains use Debian as a base and make changes to make it fit their needs better).

I have been using Debian it self for about a year. There are many different reasons to use Linux. Most recently I have been using it on older systems on which windows is not running well for on reason or another. I have also used it on the Raspberry Pi that I spent time evaluating a year ago.

Should Sheldon be using Ubuntu. I don't know. It was nice to hear him even mention a Linux distribution. Perhaps he has more important things to think about than the underlying operating system since he is a physicist and not a computer scientist. On the other hand Sheldon is kind of paranoid about some things. Richard Stallman is not impressed with Ubuntu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZakKwQ-gFM

If you listen to that you will hear him talk about GNU/Linux. GNU is a collection of utilities that typically get distributed with the Linux kernel in order to create an operating system that is Unix compatible. One core part of the GNU is the GNU compiler.

Edited by djsurrey

That's fine, because I'm not impressed with Richard Stallman. He's a complete whack job.

:shok:

:prankster: The topic is if Sheldon would use Ubuntu so I don't get your point. :laugh:

What ever you may think of Richard Stallman he blazed a trail that has made an incredible difference. The Linux kernel is released under the GPL just like the GNU project. The GPL comes directly from Richard Stallman. Linux runs successfully on everything from embedded systems to supercomputers. A lot of popular and familiar websites are running on Linux machines. So what I am saying is even if you think he takes an extreme position I'd say we are all quite lucky that back in the 1980's he took a stand and made a difference. :good: I don't think we would have  FOSS had it not been for Richard Stallman.

By the way in April 2014 windows XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft. I don't intend to upgrade my computer just so it can handle the requirements of windows 7 or windows 8. I'll just load Debian on our home computer that is still running XP. The other two computers in my house already run Debian. :dancing:  Freedom is a good thing.

Edited by djsurrey