The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
newfan

Sheldon like Data?

Does anyone think that Sheldon is becoming more like Data? Lack of facial expression, use of long words, especially interest in 'human mating habits' and 'compulsory social conventions'.

I think he might be a robot^^ so somehow data, yes :D like in one episode Raj, Howard and Sheldon are talking about that....

No I don't think that Sheldon is supposed to be a robot, just socially dysfunctional. He studies human behaviour like a scientific experiment. However, he does offer Leonard valuable love advice in 'The Fuzzy Boots Corollary'. But I do love his (maybe justified) meglomania.

I haven't seen the 2nd series yet but, to me, his use of intelligent sarcasm means that he is the new Niles Crane. Data is not sarcastic.

Ah yes... so many connections, spindly body, slightly bulbous eyes, socially awkward and a delightful dry wit. What a shame there is no equivalent of Maris.

Is Sheldon really sarcastic? i mean until the end of season one he hasn't got the hang of sarcasm. What i want to say is, that when Sheldon uses sarcasm deliberately shouldn't he be able to observe sarcasm used by others like Penny or Leonard?

Sarcasm is the use of sharp, cutting remarks or language intended to mock, wound, or subject to contempt or ridicule (Oxford English Dictionary). Leonard: "Our children will be both brillliant and beautiful" Sheldon: "Not to mention imaginary" 3D chess: "you suck on so many levels" "Hello, Oompa Loompas of science."

Wow, you are able to quote.... Only by using "sentences of sarcasm" you think Sheldon is AWARE of using it? And if he is, WHY is he not able to see it? or hear it? ;) Remember Leonard with his sarcasm sign in the second episode of the first season? "Do i have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time i open my mouth?" Or when he keeps asking "was that sarcasm?" Or Sheldon lending Penny money... i could go on, but i think i made my point :)

Wow, you are able to quote....

Only by using "sentences of sarcasm" you think Sheldon is AWARE of using it? And if he is, WHY is he not able to see it? or hear it? ;)

Remember Leonard with his sarcasm sign in the second episode of the first season? "Do i have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time i open my mouth?"

Or when he keeps asking "was that sarcasm?"

Or Sheldon lending Penny money... i could go on, but i think i made my point :)

Hmmm. interesting point. He just says things either to show his superiority, or maybe makes a logical point which just happens to be phrased in a sarcastic manner. It could be that he doesn't know it is sarcastic.

In any case , whether he knows it or not is irrelevant because the writers put it in for comedic effect and would not be interested in whether he realises it is sarcastic or not. It's only there for the laugh.

In any case ' date=' whether he knows it or not is irrelevant because the writers put it in for comedic effect and would not be interested in whether he realises it is sarcastic or not. It's only there for the laugh. [/quote']

Yes of course it is for the laugh! that is understandable!

I myself played theatre for 5 years and every role you are playing is a concrete role. i mean when sheldon is supposed to be sarcastic he IS sarcastic or at least the role should be played like it is sarcastic ;) And of course the other way round: When he should NOT be sarcastic...

Nevertheless, we'll problably never know^^