The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nogravitasatall

Would Breaking Up Leonard And Penny Again Really Hurt The Show?

There has been debate about the likelihood of this occurring yet again. Going by history, there is an expectation that a Leonard/Penny breakup could happen. A counter argument is that it would damage the show and there is enough material in the current setup.

Would it harm or help the show if they did this?

• Like 1

I do think the writers have set themselves up for a challenge with the current situation, since they probably have at least another 2-3 seasons left, and the easiest way to keep things interesting is to split them up again. But, IMO, that's also the laziest way. On-and-off-and-on again romances are so overdone, I think one refreshing thing about the show is that they are trying to show long-term relationships, which is not something you see very often and is very realistic given who these characters are.

I also don't know how they can make another break-up believable right after they pushed Penny through so much character growth this season. She goes back to having commitment issues *again*? Or does Leonard split up with her? Why? I just can't imagine a believable scenario that doesn't involve one of them leaving for a while, and we know that's not going to happen. And from the way they ended it and the statements by Molaro, it doesn't sound like they are planning the hiatus to weaken their relationship, quite the opposite.

So, would it hurt the show? Possibly. I don't think it would be something that would destroy the show, but I also don't think it's something they should consider doing. I was frankly quite shocked to hear they were considering it at the beginning of S6. There must be other ways of writing interesting stories for these two, the question is whether TPTB want to go for the easy option or try to think outside the box.

The other option is to put them on the backburner for a while. But the question then is whether people would get annoyed at a reduced number of Lenny storylines. 

• Like 3

I think they have crossed the point of no return now.  Between it being obvious that Leonard wants to be married to her and the exchanged ILY scene that took way too long to happen I think the writers are forced to move them forward now.  I would not be surprised to see them get engaged in S7.  I really think Penny is going to give him back the power to propose though.

It is a sitcom so I am sure we will have to go through the normal wedding jitters and other nonsense but any further relationship hurdles I would not expect to last more than a couple of episodes.

• Like 1

Oh no no no I hope they don't have Leonard propose!! LOL! The one thing I was so happy about was that Penny will be the one proposing (not to mention it's perfect because that way we won't get to hear Penny's last name at the proposal either :p ) don't take that away from me!!!  :icon_lol:

• Like 3

Oh no no no I hope they don't have Leonard propose!! LOL! The one thing I was so happy about was that Penny will be the one proposing (not to mention it's perfect because that way we won't get to hear Penny's last name at the proposal either :p ) don't take that away from me!!!  :icon_lol:

Why is everyone torturing me lately with that horrid seizure face emote!!!!  STOP IT!!

I don't think Leonard proposing means we will hear her last name.  In fact stating the full name has always seemed weird to me.  I didn't do that.  The wedding is when you would hear the full names normally.

I would send you a PM with a row of those emoticons if it weren't for the fact that I know you would reply with a row of the unmentionable living creatures that terrify me to get back at me. :icon_cry:

• Like 1

I would send you a PM with a row of those emoticons if it weren't for the fact that I know you would reply with a row of the unmentionable living creatures that terrify me to get back at me. :icon_cry:

......... Which emoticons freak you out? I can't remember! 

NEVER MIND I REMEMBERED. 

PS -  :icon_lol:

Edited by CaitAmber

I thinik that they'd probably stick to Penny proposing because they have talked about how they kind of enjoy filpping the gender roles with L/P.

I don't think there's any point in breaking them up again.  They've been there/done that to many times already.  I think that there is enough to explore in having them try to figure out how to manage their relationship, especially if they have Penny picking up a few more acting gigs, maybe making her less available to Leonard, which could add some stress or strain or at least have them coming and going at the wrong times and being ships that pass in the night for an episode or two to see how they handle that sort of thing.

I think they can find some kind of antagonistic factor to play around with without going down the same old route of breaking them up.

It honestly depends how it would be handled.

I can't imagine a scenario that works without making one of them two of them really unlikeable. 

• Like 1

I can't imagine a scenario that works without making one of them two of them really unlikeable.

Yes, I was thinking it would be toxic to the characters. Career pressure might be enough to maintain any tension and drive the situations.

I was wondering if there would be any upside for them in terms of the show. They highlighted different aspects of Sheldon's character over time which gave them new material for s4-6. They have some time yet to go and will need more material for novelty. Could they even run them into marriage and out the other side (divorce) and still be funny?

If they marry L&P I think it has to be for keeps ("I'm a keeper!")  One way to go to add something as a bit of a twist is for Penny being the one to push for a permanent relationship and Leonard to be the one stalling whether because of work, being away (trust me the North Sea is a seriously bad place!) or just male commitment issues!

It would be a real departures from previous seasons.

• Like 1

Yes, I was thinking it would be toxic to the characters. Career pressure might be enough to maintain any tension and drive the situations.

I was wondering if there would be any upside for them in terms of the show. They highlighted different aspects of Sheldon's character over time which gave them new material for s4-6. They have some time yet to go and will need more material for novelty. Could they even run them into marriage and out the other side (divorce) and still be funny?

I think the problem stays the same.  Whatever causes them to divorce is going to make one of them look really bad because I don't think there is enough time to have them drift apart slowly.  The other causes would be having a baby that puts way too much pressure on them, cheating, or finances.  But even if they went with finances if Penny blew through all of his money and got him deep into debt the audience is unlikely to forgive her.  It would be out of character for him to run them into debt.

They have already said that they do not intend to make Penny a successful actress.

IMO, they only do a major break-up (one that lasts for the better part of a season or more) or a divorce is if Kaley or Johnny were leaving the show.  That might happen in a scenario where the show goes for 11+ seasons but unlikely inside of 10.

The only way I could see something breaking them up and still having the fans like the characters, is that something has to happen that impacts both characters equally bad. Like something horrible comes out about Penny's past and she is so ashamed she can't face Leonard about it and breaks up. Both characters would suffer, but the problem is now we have a drama, not a sitcom.

• Like 1

The only way I could see something breaking them up and still having the fans like the characters, is that something has to happen that impacts both characters equally bad. Like something horrible comes out about Penny's past and she is so ashamed she can't face Leonard about it and breaks up. Both characters would suffer, but the problem is now we have a drama, not a sitcom.

I agree.  It is easier to break a couple up and avoid the fallout in a drama.

The other problem I see is that they have moved at such a slow pace some of the audience (at least me) is barely caring right now anyway.  You break them up and I would root for them to find  other partners.

I think you misunderstood me, breaking them up would now create a drama. So if you want to avoid the drama, they need to stay together.

• Like 1

Mmh they already broke up once in Season 3 and got back together in Season 5 so I hope that was it and they don`t break up again.

They can have some arguments but please not another break up. (Season 4 was the season I liked least) TBBT is a comedy series not a soap opera. I would answer the thread question with "yes" in case of a soap opera but its a comedy series so I answer the thread question with a "no".

Can't see them breaking up L&P again.  They don't have to marry them off soon, and there should be plenty of situations available to create comedy with L&P as a committed couple.  The writers have invested 6 seasons evolving L&P's relationship, and it's hard to imagine trashing that now.

I wasn't aware that the writers had remarked that they don't intend to make Penny a successful actress.  I'm surprised that they tipped their cards to tell us what the future may hold.

So my response to the question is yes, at this point, I do think breaking up Leonard and Penny would hurt the show.  Since the first episode, bringing those two together has been one of the main story lines.  To mess with that (again) would be, to use a phrase from one of the episodes, just coitus-ing with the loyal viewers.  And not in a funny way...IMHO.

I wasn't aware that the writers had remarked that they don't intend to make Penny a successful actress.  I'm surprised that they tipped their cards to tell us what the future may hold.

It wasn't a flat out denial. The comment was, paraphrased here, if Penny became a successful actress, it would result in showing a lot of industry behind the scenes type things, and Molaro didn't think they wanted to do that, at this time.

Would Leonard and Penny breaking up hurt the show?  Yes, I think it would.  IMO it will not happen.   That doesn't mean that they will actually have them get married in the near future, although I wouldn't be surprised if they do become engaged, and I do think that it will be Penny who pops the question.  I don't think that them getting engaged would somehow end all of the interesting interacton between the two of them.  They would still be two very different people who would still have personal conflicts between themselves.  Then there is their families.   I would really like to see a show or two where Penny takes Leonard back to Nebraska to meet her family and friends.   Can you see the two of them going out in the middle of the night to tip some cows?

Edited by rickfromillinois
  • Like 5

I don't know where this break up stuff is coming from because I don't see this. They won't break up Penny and Leonard, unless Leonard either finds someone else or decides he doesn't love her and they become just friends. There is no indication this will happen.

Do I think it will damage the show if it did? Nope. Only if they left loose ends. If both of them were in agreement over the break up it wouldn't, I don't think the general audience would mind if the characters were happy and the show was still funny.

Edited by Spaced_up
  • Like 2

Having playing catch up (this is what i get for being a die hard psychologist workaholic), If they break them up AGAIN under any possible circumstance, your gonna hurt the show more than the season long split already there. Look the only possible way to keep the wacked out comedic aspect of the show is to throw the drama out the door, Let Sheldon(poor lil guy) have a freakin sex life, and when Leonard get's back from his trip; Have him come back to something he wouldve never expected.(i.e. penny realizing what she feel's when he is not around and comes to realize that he is the one person she cant live without). In a really funny kind hearted way. I council couples both dating and married, and from REAL experience no relationship survives a slammed marraige proposal EVER. So if they can survive that theres only one logical solution....Bazinga!!

Would it hurt the show. That depends on how boring they become. In that case it wouldn't hurt the show. I don't think a woman like Penny(or Kaley Cuoco in real life), would date a homunculus for long. Yes it the beginning, she would say,'size doesn't matter', but then she would realise that if they have children they could be homunculoid. It's evolutionarily desirable to want taller, smarter, attractive children. No seriously, with a homunculus she wouldn't be able to wear her beloved SHOES. (Men don't like being looked down on, they like to believe they are in control, and women let them believe this, will pulling their strings). Remember what Nicole Kidman said when she left Tom Cruise, 'thank god, I can wear heels again!'. 

• Like 2

Would it hurt the show. That depends on how boring they become. In that case it wouldn't hurt the show. I don't think a woman like Penny(or Kaley Cuoco in real life), would date a homunculus for long. Yes it the beginning, she would say,'size doesn't matter', but then she would realise that if they have children they could be homunculoid. It's evolutionarily desirable to want taller, smarter, attractive children. No seriously, with a homunculus she wouldn't be able to wear her beloved SHOES. (Men don't like being looked down on, they like to believe they are in control, and women let them believe this, will pulling their strings). Remember what Nicole Kidman said when she left Tom Cruise, 'thank god, I can wear heels again!'. 

Judging by Penny's former boyfriends, she may find someone taller but definately not smarter.  It really makes Penny (and Kaley) sound shallow if she breaks up with a guy because of his height doesn't it? If that was the case, isn't a little suprising that she went out with him in the first place?   How long was Nicole Kidman married to Tom Cruise?  Funny that they broke up just before the pre-nups kicked in, just about the same length of time Cruis has broken up with all of his significant others.