The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vasu

Has Sheldon Become More Clownish/animated?

Sheldon  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Has Sheldon become more clownish/animated in the later seasons?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can't say

I was reading some of the threads on the show forum , came across a comment about Sheldon becoming more animated as the seasons went on. Deadpan expressions are replaced by clownish/animated expressions....

I agree with that and I think there are many examples to prove the same.

Now what do you guys think??

The same thing has also happened to his voice. I wouldn't necessarily call it 'clownish' but I think he has become more animated very slowly over time and honestly I only really started noticing it in the sixth season. As to whether it's a good or a bad thing, I don't know. I'll admit I miss his lower/calmer tone of voice at times and a lot of people connect this new tone with his babyish and obnoxious behavior. Then again, his wacky expressions have always been pretty fun :).

I'm intrigued as to what the intent behind this might be. Whether it might be an indication of him opening himself up, just the writers fancying a change (or even not noticing it themselves) or perhaps just a simple change in Jim's acting for whatever reason.

Yes, I've noticed it more in his voice than his facial expressions/body language to be honest.

I think he has always had episodes where his body language and acting was more 'clownish' because that's one of the things that's funny about him (and Jim does body acting great) and because since he's often used as the comedy valve for the show, they need to amp up this aspect more in certain episodes.

But I have noticed his voice has gone consistently more high-pitch and animated over time, unlike the body-language that is turned on and off, and I don't even think it's a conscious change on the writers part or on Jim's part. I think it's just something that has escalated slowly. But I agree with Raz, I do miss his lower tones.

The same thing has also happened to his voice. I wouldn't necessarily call it 'clownish' but I think he has become more animated very slowly over time and honestly I only really started noticing it in the sixth season. As to whether it's a good or a bad thing, I don't know. I'll admit I miss his lower/calmer tone of voice at times and a lot of people connect this new tone with his babyish and obnoxious behavior. Then again, his wacky expressions have always been pretty fun :).

I'm intrigued as to what the intent behind this might be. Whether it might be an indication of him opening himself up, just the writers fancying a change (or even not noticing it themselves) or perhaps just a simple change in Jim's acting for whatever reason.

If this is done purposefully or not we might never know and if so the cause behind it...

Any way I called it 'clownish' because recently I some episodes ... the one in season 6 with the GPS , there is a scene in car when the commentery goes on Sheldon shakes his head animatedly with wierd expressions on his face and it immedietaly reminded me of Mr.Bean ...whom I have always though of a clown...  also his running style is same as of Mr.Bean as seen in one of season 5 episodes ;)

• Like 1

Sheldon has been changing a lot. I reckon from season 6 and in the last half of it.

I even spotted a new gesture that Sheldon never acted before in > 6.16 - The Tangible Affection Proof.

In particular when being unimpressed with Alex's first two thoughtful gifts she presented to him for Amy VD.

He pinched his nose and pulled his hear just as clown would do in a panto! Is attitude is showing that is callous at times.

• Like 1

I don't think he has gotten more clownish, at least not since S3.  I agree about the voice but he has used the higher pitch off and on since at least S2.

I think the problem I saw in the last half of the S6 was that the show relied to heavily on Sheldon for humor and there were times it fell short or should not have been there at all.

• Like 1

I again, don't know what to think, about why Sheldon as a character, is changing. I just don't see any reason why they would want to 'infantilise' him, make him more 'clownish'. I was almost disturbed by the way he acted in the Professor Proton episode. Sheldon was obviously the 'alpha nerd' at the beginning of the show, and eclipsed the other performers(but then I am biased!!!). It seems the only way to bring the others back into the foreground, is to make his character more ridiculous. If anything, I would have expected the opposite; as his friends helped him understand 'social conventions', Penny helped him with 'emotional understanding', Amy helped with 'personal and intimacy issues', I would have expected him to become more adult, and balanced. I love the way, when faced with a difficult dilemma, and his position is being challenged, he goes into mental meltdown, like all his neurons are destroying each other!!

• Like 2

I again, don't know what to think, about why Sheldon as a character, is changing. I just don't see any reason why they would want to 'infantilise' him, make him more 'clownish'. I was almost disturbed by the way he acted in the Professor Proton episode. Sheldon was obviously the 'alpha nerd' at the beginning of the show, and eclipsed the other performers(but then I am biased!!!). It seems the only way to bring the others back into the foreground, is to make his character more ridiculous. If anything, I would have expected the opposite; as his friends helped him understand 'social conventions', Penny helped him with 'emotional understanding', Amy helped with 'personal and intimacy issues', I would have expected him to become more adult, and balanced. I love the way, when faced with a difficult dilemma, and his position is being challenged, he goes into mental meltdown, like all his neurons are destroying each other!!

'Infantile' Sheldon , I think was present in the earlier seasons too...but the 'clownish' aspect is something that was not present before...

I too did not like Proton episode...welll mostly it was because of the boring plot

'Alpha nerd' .... I dont know how u define 'Alpha nerd' ..but many episodes where Sheldon annoys others ... it never feels he could even survive without others...

And as far as eclipsing other performers is concerned , I thought the writers never gave a chance for the rest of the characters to shine in the earlier seasons . And  I think Mr.Helberg and Ms.Bialik easily easily bettered Mr.Parsons acting whenever given proper chance....both in comical and emotional scenes

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

OMG yes!! 4 people voted no? LOL!!

Sheldon has become very camp over the last two seasons. He seems a bit more gay then he did.

OMG yes!! 4 people voted no? LOL!!

Sheldon has become very camp over the last two seasons. He seems a bit more gay then he did.

Oh, but he's such a good boyfriend for Penny!!!!! :p

Well, I think you all know what I think. HELL YES! I don't like Sheldon much now and I'm not as excited about the show as I once was.

• Like 1

Well, I think you all know what I think. HELL YES! I don't like Sheldon much now and I'm not as excited about the show as I once was.

This.

His voice has changed, his facial expressions have changed, his laugh has changed. Sigh.

Oh yes, his expressions, for example, when his voice was on the GPS, as vasu said were weird. However, similar expressions - but worse - have been seen in other Season 6 episodes; I didn't mind too much his GPS-expressions, I found them quite funny, actually, albeit weird.

Edited by viddy9

This.

His voice has changed, his facial expressions have changed, his laugh has changed. Sigh.

Oh yes, his expressions, for example, when his voice was on the GPS, as vasu said were weird. However, similar expressions - but worse - have been seen in other Season 6 episodes; I didn't mind too much his GPS-expressions, I found them quite funny, actually, albeit weird.

Urgh, that giggle he developed.

The worse part is, he's not funny anymore. He's just like any other arrogant self opinionated sci-fi geek you can met anywhere. When the subject was first brought up about Sheldon changing, you should have seen the denials and objections on this forum. Many people didn't want to admit it. 'Guard and protect the ship', is all that's on their minds.

Now it's obvious. But I don't think it's all the actor, Sheldon's dialogue has taken a turn for the worst. He says really stupid things now. Whomever is doing the bulk of the writing can't write him. The other characters are still being written well, but not not him.

• Like 3

In my vast contribution of 20-odd posts (there’s a touch of sarcasm there, trainspotters), I already feel I’ve brought this up too many times. A permanent post stating one’s opinions would be helpful. But then, who the hell really cares? I concur with everything said above.

Season five is banned in this house (much to the irritation of my housemates) because I cannot abide the ignominiousness of Sheldon’s character. When he’s flinging himself around in the Transporter Malfunction shouting O goody! I can barely look at the screen. Where’s your dignity, man! Bizarrely, when he’s essentially rutting the couch in the Cushion Saturation, this, this is not a problem. There is something elementally different in both Jim’s performance and the writing. As Moonbase noted, he now says remarkably stupid things. What the devil is all this hokey homespun redneck drivel he comes out with all the time now? This does not appear to be a man of high IQ, this is an unpleasant variant on Forrest Gump. Except Gump wasn’t a rebarbative loudmouth git.

I feel to some degree the old Sheldon has returned for minor portions of season six. The 43 Peculiarity, aside from a bit of drawl at the beginning, was essentially old school Sheldon, as was most of Parking Lot, and Bakersfield.

Oddly enough, the GPS scene that is perplexing people, I find not particularly out of character. He made similar faces in Euclid Alternative, when he was inadvertently aggravating Penny in the car, also in Staircase Implementation, when he finally claims his spot. It’s his Monty Pythonesque face (remember Graham Chapman as one of the three heads in the Holy Grail?). It’s the “y’all right there little lady” type attitude I find disturbing, and whatever drug he appears to be on when he’s acting the somnambulant “boyfriend”.

Also, stand the hell up straight, Parsons! Sheldon never used to slouch…

He's always slouched just look at season 1 and 2

I have spent a considerable and potentially excessive amount of time looking at season 1 and 2. They are my favourite seasons. Season one, indeed he had a vague lackadaisical quality to his character, but he’s a fairly tightly-strung (to put it mildly) fellow henceforth. His poise was remarkable. There is a burdened weight-of-the-the-world aspect to his season six slouchiness, and an indulgent laziness to his season five. If there wasn’t some truth to the matter, what on earth would provoke me to comment on it? It distresses me. I don’t generally wish to see things that distress me, ergo I am not voluntarily summoning or perceiving this slouching.

Urgh, that giggle he developed.

The worse part is, he's not funny anymore. He's just like any other arrogant self opinionated sci-fi geek you can met anywhere. When the subject was first brought up about Sheldon changing, you should have seen the denials and objections on this forum. Many people didn't want to admit it. 'Guard and protect the ship', is all that's on their minds.

Now it's obvious. But I don't think it's all the actor, Sheldon's dialogue has taken a turn for the worst. He says really stupid things now. Whomever is doing the bulk of the writing can't write him. The other characters are still being written well, but not not him.

I definetly think there's a conspiracy to destroy Sheldon. Maybe his 'will to power', was extending beyond the limits of the characters in the show, and the writers were feeling threatened. It's true what Sheldon said, a great mind like his comes along maybe once in a generation, and it's true of great characters like him too. I can't off hand think of many characters who were more remarkable, and hilarious(maybe early House!).

I definetly think there's a conspiracy to destroy Sheldon. Maybe his 'will to power', was extending beyond the limits of the characters in the show, and the writers were feeling threatened. It's true what Sheldon said, a great mind like his comes along maybe once in a generation, and it's true of great characters like him too. I can't off hand think of many characters who were more remarkable, and hilarious(maybe early House!).

Surely the writers don't need a conspiracy to "destroy Sheldon". Lorre and Prady own all the characters in TBBT. They can do what the hell they like with them. The fandom can squeal as much as they like,but ratings is God and due obeisance will be paid.,

I think we're just seeing what happens to most shows after a number of years. The actors get bored playing the characters the same way so they want to showcase their talents by changing the way they play them. It's like on "Happy Days" when Anson Williams wanted to use the show's popularity to launch a recording career, so they turned Potsie into a singer even though he was awful.

They also seem to be playing more and more to the adoring studio audience. I hope it doesn't turn into "Happy Days" where every actor got to make an "entrance" every show to wild applause. I fear that at some point they're going to pull a "Brady Bunch" where the characters are in a charity variety show so the actors can show off their singing and dancing skills. They already dipped their toe in it once with that godawful fantasy dance scene with Raj & Bernadette.

• Like 3

Surely the writers don't need a conspiracy to "destroy Sheldon". Lorre and Prady own all the characters in TBBT. They can do what the hell they like with them. The fandom can squeal as much as they like,but ratings is God and due obeisance will be paid.,

There's a definite polarization on this forum between creative types(open minded, imaginative,playful, drawing on many references,unlimited), and executive types(boring,dollar counters). Hi ajond,missing you!!!

I think we're just seeing what happens to most shows after a number of years. The actors get bored playing the characters the same way so they want to showcase their talents by changing the way they play them. It's like on "Happy Days" when Anson Williams wanted to use the show's popularity to launch a recording career, so they turned Potsie into a singer even though he was awful.

They also seem to be playing more and more to the adoring studio audience. I hope it doesn't turn into "Happy Days" where every actor got to make an "entrance" every show to wild applause. I fear that at some point they're going to pull a "Brady Bunch" where the characters are in a charity variety show so the actors can show off their singing and dancing skills. They already dipped their toe in it once with that godawful fantasy dance scene with Raj & Bernadette.

I think there is a lot of truth in this. I think Jim became bored and wanted Sheldon to have a girlfriend. It's a shame that he's acting him so differently because it's not an improvement.

. They already dipped their toe in it once with that godawful fantasy dance scene with Raj & Bernadette.

I really enjoyed this dance scene. I don't normally watch Bollywood movies, or musicals. But I think it gave a much needed reference to Raj's culture, and the characters(and actors), had so much fun!!!

But I have noticed his voice has gone consistently more high-pitch and animated over time, unlike the body-language that is turned on and off, and I don't even think it's a conscious change on the writers part or on Jim's part. I think it's just something that has escalated slowly. But I agree with Raz, I do miss his lower tones.

The same happened to Spongebob Squarepants and Homer Simpson. A kind of Flanderisation, I suppose. My best guess is that Jim is being directed to play a more over-the-top character. Otherwise, it could be a way of showing growth in the form of a less emotionally repressed, aloof person in order to make it more believable for Sheldon and Amy to keep going to wherever they're going. The stiff, socially indifferent and fiercely independent Sheldon of Season 2 would be much harder to envision with Amy than the current childish, unpredictable version.

Edited by nerdywordy
  • Like 2