The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ar Diem

Misophonia Is On The Hotseat

We have a celebrity this week, Misophonia, start asking your questions!!

Special guideline this week... No Fan Fiction related questions... Thanks.

A couple of guidelines:

1) This is an absolutely zero debate zone.

2) Follow-up questions are heavily encouraged. You are also encouraged to discuss things you find you have in common

3) Some people will be more open than others about sharing real life details. Please respect that.

4) It is not off-topic to explore something about a person like a hobby or cultural differences as long as they don't mind answering.

5) We post about TBBT so much in other forums and since it can turn into a debate so easily TBBT questions are discouraged. If you want to ask something please be careful... please.

6) Different people will answer at different paces so don't get discouraged if it takes awhile to get your answer.

7) Specific interpretations of religion and religious text are a hot mess on a message board on a good day. They really need to be avoided in hotseats because it will make future participants uneasy. The same goes for political discussions. Remember this is a zero debate zone.

8) Have fun!!

New Standard Starting Questions:

1) Why did you choose your screen name and avatar?

2) How did you find this board?

3) If you don't mind answering what is your gender and approximate age?

4) Same on general location of where you are currently living.

5) What is your favorite kind of music?

6) What is your least favorite kind of music?

7) What is your favorite cuisine?

8) Do you have any siblings, if so how many and where do you fall in the line-up?

9) Do you have any pets?

10) Hobbies?

11) What is your favorite color?

12) What celebrity would you pick to play in a movie about your life?

13) What is your favorite time of day?

14) What do you do that you find especially rewarding?

15) What animal do you think best represents your personality?

Edited by Ar Diem

1) Why did you choose your screen name and avatar?

Many people tell me my screen name sounds like a disease. That's because it is. "Misophonia" literally means “hatred of sound” and is believed to be a neurological disorder characterized by negative experiences (anger, flight, hated, disgust) triggered by specific sounds. The sounds can be either loud or soft. Actually, I chose my screen name because my niece was diagnosed with misophonia about six months ago. Most people do not believe it is real, but it is. People who have misophonia are most commonly angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, eating, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, whistling or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.

In the end, I chose the name as a way to honor my niece and because I figured people would ask me about it and I'd be able to get the word out.

My avatar frequently changes (as my mind does). The current one is pretty self explanatory.

2) How did you find this board?

My sister actually found it. She found out people were talking about my first fan fiction story "The Family Reunion Probability Theorem" a lot on tumblr and that ended up getting her here. She showed me and, after I finished fainting, I began reading and enjoying a lot of the threads on here (especially the ones that weren't about me). After that, I was hooked and joined.

3) If you don't mind answering, what is your gender and approximate age?

I am a female in my thirties.

4) Same on general location of where you are currently living.

I live in South Carolina, USA

5) What is your favorite kind of music?

I am pretty eclectic when it comes to what I like. There is very little I don't like. I don't have one particular style I like. But if I had to choose, it would be classic rock. In case you were wondering:

Favorite Bands: The Eagles & Aerosmith

Favorite Female Singers: Annie Lennox and Adele

Favorite Male Singers: Bob Seger and Billy Joel

Favorite Song of All Time: Hotel California.

6) What is your least favorite kind of music?

Hard core rap, heavy metal that amounts to nothing more than screaming in the microphone, and anything by the Wiggles. (Insert all-over body shiver of disgust on the last one especially.)

7) What is your favorite cuisine?

I love Southern food (of course), but my favorite is anything Italian. Pasta, pasta, pasta!

8) Do you have any siblings, if so how many and where do you fall in the line-up?

I am the second of five children.

9) Do you have any pets?

I am not a pet person. I grew up surrounded by them (and kids); so I appreciate them. But I have no wish to have my house covered in fur. I also like the freedom of being able to leave my house for hours on end without having to worry about hurrying home to let a pet out. I do, however, pet sit a lot for my brother (who has four dogs). I am good aunt to them, but I prefer to keep it to only being an aunt.

10) Hobbies?

Reading and writing. It's what I do all the time. It's my favorite thing in the world: Words on a page. I've been doing it since I was 14. I keep waiting on it to wane, but it never does.

I am also an avid softball player who loves to bowl. I play a fierce first base in softball, and my bowling skills are so atrocious that I have been nicknamed "Gutter Girl" on more than one occasion.

11) What is your favorite color?

Blue

12) What celebrity would you pick to play in a movie about your life?

This is a hard one. But, in the end, I think Emma Stone could best pull off my brand of snark.

13) What is your favorite time of day?

I like the time after dinner. It's when I write. I get two hours of "me" time when I can be undisturbed and as creative as I want to be. If I have to skip this for more than a day or so, I get really grumpy.

14) What do you do that you find especially rewarding?

Spending time with my nieces and nephews. They are the true joy of my life. They range in age from 23-6, which means I get a different perspective every time I am around one of them.

15) What animal do you think best represents your personality?

A pink fairy armadillo.

Edited by Misophonia

Miso baby! :wub: 

And so it begins... 

1) Aside from writing, what are some of your other hobbies? 

2) What's something a lot of people don't know about you? 

3) As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? 

4) Favourite season of the year? 

5) Do you have any phobias? 

6) Are you related to anyone famous? Living or dead. 

7) What is your 'dream job'? 

8) Coconut or cheese? 

9) Favourite movie? 

10) What do you love about being an aunt? 

• Like 1

1) What is the best thing in South Carolina? And the worst?

The Best: It's the kind of state where you can find a little bit of everything. If you like mountains, we got that. If you want waterfalls, we got that. You desire a walk on the beach, we got that. You like things more seafaring-like? We got that. Wanna see a full re-enactment of a famous Civil War battle? We got that, too. Whether it be the midlands, the low country, or the highlands, we've got it all. (Now I sound like I'm on the tourism bureau.) We have Southern Baptists, deep fried everything, temperate weather (usually), and some of the most delicious barbecue in the world. Best of all, there is an old well just outside of my town. Legend says that if you drink from that well with your one true love, you will remain in love and faithful to each other for the rest of your life.

The Worst: The humidity is killer. It's so thick you can scoop it up with a bulldozer. I lived in Baltimore, MD for a few years. I do miss having a lot of activities at my finger tips. There isn't a whole lot of that in my hometown.

Other: I also hate that, when someone from my state is interviewed on television, they always seem to find the woman in the sponge rollers and bathrobe who talks with a deep, syrupy accent, which only fuels the stereotypes of Southerners being a bunch of backward, ignorant, incestuous hicks. I would like to make a few things clear. My accent is very light. I don't enjoy tractor pulls or NASCAR. I have a high IQ, and my favorite novel is Pride and Prejudice, not Gone With The Wind. Most of all, I have not now nor will I ever marry my brother.

We're just dating.

2) If you could live anywhere else in the world, what would it be?

I spent my junior year of high school as an exchange student in Germany. I can speak the language (although I am quite rusty). I wouldn't mind living there again. I also would LOVE to live in Scotland. Any man with a Scottish accent is hot to me. Add a kilt and I might forget I have a wonderful boyfriend. :)

• Like 2

Miso baby! :wub:

And so it begins... 

8) Coconut or cheese? 

9) Favourite movie? 

Hi Cait!

Besides softball and bowling, I enjoy watching Lifetime and/or Hallmark movies with my aunt (She absolutely loves them). She watches while I pick apart the plot and make sarcastic quips about the bad, over-the-top acting, ridiculous premises, and cheesy titles. It might not be a real hobby, but I do enjoy it. I make a game out of it. Every time I make her laugh, I get a point. Every time she catches me really watching the movie, she gets a point. If I can get her to admit the movie is crap, I win. If the movie gets me to actually cry, she wins. (She's only won once in three years.)

A lot of people who know me in real life don't know I write fan fiction. I'm a writer of original stories as well and writing fan fiction isn't something my writer friends would appreciate if they knew. Besides writing, most people don't know I am addicted to watching cooking shows.

Actually, I wanted to be a pediatrician from ages 8 - 21. I even did three years of pre-med in college before I came to my senses. I also wanted to have my own practice with Winnie the Pooh wallpaper in my waiting room and a hunky male nurse named "Tad." (Don't ask.)

I love the Fall. Changing leaves, cool temperatures, and Halloween. It's the only time of year I am going to willingly stand outside for long periods of time.

I have a serious fear of heights. It seems to be a common trait in my family. I also hate bugs.

Supposedly, I'm related to Dustin Hoffman, but no one has ever conclusively proven that to me.

Full-time, best-selling romance novelist

8) Coconut or cheese? 

Cheese--as long as it isn't a weird-sounding one and nobody tries to put it on Shepherd's Pie.

9) Favourite movie? 

The Princess Bride

I have been there for the birth of each one of my nine nieces and nephews. In most instances, I am the third person in the world to hold them (after the doctor and their mothers). I knew when I held each one of them what the major aspect of their personalities would be. It was obvious even from day one. So far, two have reached adulthood, and I have been so right about their personalities that I have been able to correctly deduce what they would choose as an occupation.

Most of all, being their aunt is like getting to be their mom, but without all the craziness and drama that comes with being a parent. They respect me, but they can also talk to me when they can't talk to their parents. I love that. I am still an authority figure, but I can also be their friend without it blurring any important lines.

• Like 1

Hi Miso. I have a few questions for you:

1. What has been your most proud accomplishment to date?

2. What is your biggest regret?

3. If you had to be a Disney Princess, which one would you be and why?

4. What is the one possession you can't live without?

5. What do you do for a living?

6. Who's your favorite author?

7. If your entire family was a game of Survivor, who would you vote off the island first?

8. Who is your favorite friend on here?

9. Where do you see yourself in ten years?

10. If you were a flower, which flower would you be?

• Like 1

Hi Pemberley:

1. What has been your most proud accomplishment to date?

I am the first one to graduate from college in my family. I graduated with degrees in English as well as Communications. (Which my grandfather always said meant I could speak English. Thanks for the ego boost, Granddaddy!)

2. What is your biggest regret?

I have one, but it is way too complicated to explain on here. But it is a big one, believe me.

3. If you had to be a Disney Princess, which one would you be and why?

Belle from Beauty and the Beast. We're both brunettes, we both like to read, and we both like big, temperamental men who need a woman to stand up to them every now and again.

4. What is the one possession you can't live without?

The ring my mom left me after she died.

5. What do you do for a living?

This is complicated. In simplest terms, I'm a technical writer and project manager for a university.

6. Who's your favorite author?

Jane Austen

7. If your entire family was a game of Survivor, who would you vote off the island first?

My older brother. He knows why. :icon_twisted:

8. Who is your favorite friend on here?

I love all of my friends equally. :wub:

9. Where do you see yourself in ten years?

A published author, probably married, and still working at the university at which I am currently employed.

10. If you were a flower, which flower would you be?

Sunflower

Edited by Misophonia

1) If you were 50 ft tall would you be mad because you would not be able to ever wear skirts again?

2) If you were 50 ft tall would you be mad if you climbed a mountain and no one really cared because you had a height advantage?

3) If you were 50 ft tall what would you do for a living?

4) If you were 50 ft tall what do you think would be the easiest meal you can prepare to sustain yourself?

5) If you were 50 ft tall would you get an oversized keyboard or use a special instrument to answer this question?

• Like 1

1) What is the worst table manner to violate?

2) If you had to wear a hat for the  rest of your life what style hat would you choose?

3) What was your first concert?

4) Your biggest turn off.

5) How do you feel about clowns?

6) How many hours of sleep do you require?

7) If you and I swapped bodies for 24 hours what would I find most surprising?

8) If you and I swapped bodies for 24 hours what do you think you would find most surprising?

9) You had a bad day and I sent you a gift to cheer you up.  What is it?

10) What is the last thing you threw in the trash at home?

• Like 1

1) If you were 50 ft tall would you be mad because you would not be able to ever wear skirts again?

No. I hate skirts. I would love having the excuse not to wear one.

2) If you were 50 ft tall would you be mad if you climbed a mountain and no one really cared because you had a height advantage?

No. I would be 50 feet tall. Anything I do would be news. If I could do something without the paparazzi knowing, I would probably be happy.

3) If you were 50 ft tall what would you do for a living?

Anything I wanted to. I'm 50 feet tall. Who's going to tell me I can't?

4) If you were 50 ft tall what do you think would be the easiest meal you can prepare to sustain yourself?

Beef. It's what's for dinner.

5) If you were 50 ft tall would you get an oversized keyboard or use a special instrument to answer this question?

Over-sized keyboard

1) What is the worst table manner to violate?

Using your clothes as a napkin.

2) If you had to wear a hat for the rest of your life what style hat would you choose?

Tiara, baby.

3) What was your first concert?

Aerosmith

4) Your biggest turn off.

Condescension

5) How do you feel about clowns?

They freak me out.

6) How many hours of sleep do you require?

7) If you and I swapped bodies for 24 hours what would I find most surprising?

How difficult it is to be a woman. Bras, PMS,and crying at Hallmark commercials for no reason. Good luck with that.

8) If you and I swapped bodies for 24 hours what do you think you would find most surprising?

I grew up in a family of three brothers, sixteen male cousins, and was the only girl in the family for the first twelve years of my life. I doubt much would surprise me in the realm of manhood at this point.

9) You had a bad day and I sent you a gift to cheer you up.  What is it?

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

10) What is the last thing you threw in the trash at home?

An empty ketchup bottle

Oh .. More questions:

1. If you were stuck on a dessert island, what would you bring with you?

2. The chicken or the egg? Which came first?

3. What job/occupation would you not want to attempt?

4. Describe yourself using only one word.

5. Cornbread, biscuits, or rolls?

6. If you were a literary character, which one would you be?

7. If you could date a literary character, which one would it be?

8. Yoo-Hoo or Strawberry Quick?

9. What is your favorite place in the world?

10. We know what your talent is. What is the one thing you do worst in the world?

• Like 1

1) if you could have 6 famous people (dead or alive) for a dinner who would you choose

2) if you were President what thing would you change/bring in

• Like 1

1. If you were stuck on a dessert island, what would you bring with you?

A spoon :)

2. The chicken or the egg? Which came first?

The chicken

3. What job/occupation would you not want to attempt?

Mortician

4. Describe yourself using only one word.

Sarcastic

5. Cornbread, biscuits, or rolls?

Yeast rolls

6. If you were a literary character, which one would you be?

Anne of Green Gables

7. If you could date a literary character, which one would it be?

Mr. Darcy

8. Yoo-Hoo or Strawberry Quick?

Yoo-Hoo

9. What is your favorite place in the world?

The Inner Harbor in Baltimore, MD or basically any library in the world.

10. We know what your talent is. What is the one thing you do worst in the world?

There is a tie between bowling and singing.

• Like 1

I appreciate the PM telling me that I am really your favorite friend here but I already knew that. 

1) Hottest pepper you can tolerate.

2) Right or left handed?

3) Describe the perfect picnic.  Where do you go, who goes with you, and what do you eat?

4) How do you know that I do not know what it feels like to wear a bra?  Er, I mean, of course that would be a shock.

5) What is your favorite part of camping? 

• Like 2

-If you could be a character in The Big Bang Theory, what kind of character would you be? What would you bring to the series and what would you do?

I'd play Amy's slightly older sister. I would bring a little more background about Amy's family and childhood, and I would be computer genius who is a pioneer in software development. 

-What is your favorite Disney princess? or Prince?

Belle, of course

Li Shang from Mulan

-If you could have any job in the world, what would you pick? and why?

Since I have already answered novelist, I will pick my second choice on this: I would own a bookstore. Why? Because I love books and the idea of being surrounded by them is akin to heaven to me.

-What is it that made you love Big bang (i know you love shamy but anything else?)

Actually, I had heard of it, but didn't want to watch because I had hated Rosanne and knew that Johnny Galecki and Sarah Gilbert were on the show. As I couldn't stand their characters on Roseanne, I stayed far away from the show. However, my best friend kept after me to watch TBBT because she kept saying I would like Sheldon. "He's your type." So, I was up visiting her and she forced me to watch the newest episode that happened to be on. This was the last episode of Season 3 (where we meet Amy). The great thing was that I had the whole episode to get to know (and like) Sheldon. Then, Amy came on at the end, and I was hooked.

-Oh crap! Zombie apocalypse happened, what's one thing that will keep you away from death? (family, friends, food, fear of death?)

I have been able to shoot a .22 since I was 12-years-old. I never miss. Never.

-Zombies are coming to your house, what is one thing you would not forget to take with you?

Shotgun

-Oh no! You were swarmed into an alternate universe where shamy never existed! What do you think your life would have been without shamy or big bang?

Pretty much what it is now, minus writing fan fiction. I mean, I LOVE the Shamy, but it's not like I have a wall plastered in their pictures or anything.

-You have all the power in the world, what is one thing you would change about this world?

Take away the hate, the apathy, and the ignorance in the world. With those three things gone, what can't we do?

-Pick a book near you and turn to page 45. What is the first sentence of the first paragraph in that page?

"Then Cal came out and said, 'Where's your car?' and broke her mood."

-If you could be an author of any book in the world, what book would you pick and why?

I would love to write Twilight. I could fix a lot of things that are wrong in that book. I would also love to take a crack at the Sookie Stackhouse series.

-What is your favorite fanfiction? (dont say yours..... even if it's true LOL)

I would never choose mine.  I actually think my writing still leaves a lot to be desired. If you are asking who my favorite fan fiction author is, I plead the fifth.

-Let's play Marry/fuc/kill. Your choices are Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, and Johnny Galecki.

Uh. OK. Jim/Johnny/Kaley (Sorry, Kaley. Someone had to go, and I likes the menfolk.)

-What was your day like when you first saw Big Bang?

Actually, it was night. A busy night in May.

- Which one is smarter, Sheldon or Penny? (this is a trick question)

IQ-wise = Sheldon. Common sense-wise = Penny.

-What do you think will happen in season 7?

SIK

-If you can keep your weight and stay healthy forever, what food would you eat every day?

Pasta and fruit, but not together.

last question...

-who is your #1 fan? (MUWAHAHAHAHHAA)

My mother ;)

Edited by Misophonia
  • Like 1

1) if you could have 6 famous people (dead or alive) for a dinner who would you choose

William Shakespeare

Jane Austen

Julia Child

Elvis

Leonardo Di Vinci

Alexander Skarsgaard

2) if you were President what thing would you change/bring in

I would enact strict laws which would prohibit lobbyists from influencing politicians.

• Like 2

I appreciate the PM telling me that I am really your favorite friend here but I already knew that. 

Yeah, because THAT happened.

1) Hottest pepper you can tolerate.

Bell pepper. (Yeah, I'm a wimp.)

2) Right or left handed?

Right-handed

3) Describe the perfect picnic.  Where do you go, who goes with you, and what do you eat?

A place with no bugs, my family and friends, and we eat fried chicken, bacon ranch potato salad, lemonade, and double chocolate chip brownies.

4) How do you know that I do not know what it feels like to wear a bra?  Er, I mean, of course that would be a shock.

The cameras I have planted in your house indicate otherwise.

5) What is your favorite part of camping?

Going home

1) What does your tongue taste like?

2) Favorite smell memory.

3) I don't get how manatees are also called sea cows.  I don't see the connection.  Please explain it to me.

4) On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being would not be caught dead at one and 10 being showing up before they open to every one you can find please rate yourself when it comes to garage/yard sales.

5) Describe the worst kiss you have ever had.

6) I can go months without chewing gum but if I have some I will probably chew some everyday for weeks.  Do you have something like that, that you do?

7) A TV show you can't believe you ever loved as a child.

8) You can break a cracker but can you really break bread with someone?  Wouldn't that be better described as tearing bread?

9) You are lighting a candle.  Match or a lighter?

10) Is it safe to assume that you push yourself to write most days and not just when the mood strikes?

• Like 1

1) What does your tongue taste like?

Currently? Strawberries, shortcake, and freshly whipped cream.

2) Favorite smell memory.

Miller Genuine Draft and Old Spice = My Granddaddy

Fried Chicken, grape jelly, and Taboo perfume = Mom

3) I don't get how manatees are also called sea cows.  I don't see the connection.  Please explain it to me.

Manatees like to snack on vegetation underwater. Thus, when sailors saw them grazing on plants underwater like cows, manatees earned the nickname. In reality though, they should be called Sea Elephants as they are closer linked to that land animal than the common milk cow.

4) On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being would not be caught dead at one and 10 being showing up before they open to every one you can find please rate yourself when it comes to garage/yard sales.

3. Saturdays are for sleeping in. It's the law.

5) Describe the worst kiss you have ever had.

He and I had been friends and coworkers for two years before we decided to try dating. The first and only date we had was horrendous. His wallet was stolen while we were at the movies. (This was a fact; not one of those stories men tell women to get them to pay for things. He had already paid for dinner and the movie.) Therefore, when he realized about halfway through the film that it was missing, we had to leave to go look for it. Then, we had to wait for the cops to show up so he could file a report. Finally, when it was all over, he walked me to my car to deliver the infamous kiss. We were both really nervous and exhausted, which meant to first kiss was a dry smacking together of lips mixed with the nauseating sound of clacking teeth hitting each other. What I remember most was how much my lips stung afterwards--in a bad way. We tried again, but it was worst than the first. In the end, we decided to stay friends instead of dating. Two years later, I was a bridesmaid in his wedding, an experience that was decidedly less awkward than the kiss.

6) I can go months without chewing gum but if I have some I will probably chew some everyday for weeks.  Do you have something like that, that you do?

If there are Krispy Kreme donuts in the house, I will eat them until they are gone. It doesn't matter what flavor they are or how old they are. I will devour them. They are my crack. If they are hot and fresh, I could easily kill someone to get to them. If the BF ever proposed and I refused, he could get me to say "Yes" with a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts. (Thankfully, I don't think he has ever figured this out.)

7) A TV show you can't believe you ever loved as a child.

Knight Rider. It's painful to watch now.

8) You can break a cracker but can you really break bread with someone?  Wouldn't that be better described as tearing bread?

Depends on how long someone left the bread out.

9) You are lighting a candle.  Match or a lighter?

Match. I love the motion of blowing the match out when I'm done. I don't know why. I just always have.

10) Is it safe to assume that you push yourself to write most days and not just when the mood strikes?

I have an appointment to write every day. This is the only way it works for me. Otherwise, I won't write at all. It's like a muscle. I have to work it out every day or I'll lose it. I don't have to like what I put on the page or even keep it, but I do have to plant my butt in the chair for at least an hour every day. If the mood strikes, I can write up to six hours at a time. The longest I ever written in one stretch was six chapters, and it took me seven hours to do it and edit it to my liking.

What? That's all you people got? I thought this was a hotseat? My seat isn't even warm. LOL :icon_razz:

My browser just crashed and I lost 8 questions pretend you are me and ask yourself.

• Like 1

What has been your most impossible thought?

PS KRISPY KREAMS are NOT just donuts !!

They are an adventure in your mouth !!

• Like 1