Symbolism, Metaphor, Foreshadowing Etc. In Tbbt Show?

wannamaker

Regarding the absence of psychology (if I’m the culprit who said that), I meant more in the line of how LostinTheSun put it, that the symbolism is meant to jolt the characters into epiphanies, not the audience. Ergo, the show itself is not trying to lever-in some deeper psychological meaning to its storyline.

There’s a vast amount of purely non-symbolic psychological reasoning behind the characters. Weaknesses and human fallibility form the basis of most comedy. Lampshaded (I believe is the term) whenever Beverly comes around, but otherwise scattered throughout.

Howard’s co-dependency with his mother, and ‘ersatz homosexual marriage’ to Raj. Raj’s selective mutism (perhaps a touch of class-guilt). Leonard’s passive-aggressiveness and constant need for female approval and external validation of his qualities. Sheldon’s relentless need to distance himself from others, to differentiate himself as something special and greater, to protect from a lifetime of inevitable segregation and misunderstanding…etc.

Incidentally, I’ve always found it interesting that the four chaps and Penny were born into families that span the traditional class system. Sheldon and Penny both come from working class backgrounds (even occasionally straying into what would offensively be termed “white trash”). Howard from lower middle class, Leonard upper middle class, and Raj is essentially an aristocrat. I think partially the reason Sheldon gets so uppity with Penny could be recognition of shared origins. (Actually, this should be; “one interpretation of why” as obviously Sheldon doesn’t think anything at all, being fictional.)

Potentially one might consider the point of “looking under the surface of episodes” is not to discover the meanings that the writers have put there intentionally, but to seek out subconscious ones that are indicative of the wider populace, that the writers are part of. As Wannamaker said, the collective unconscious. Also, perhaps, to practise the recognising of symbols and symbolic framework, the better to project your own intentions into your work.

It’s also incredibly amusing. Other than Sheldon being eaten by the troglodytes being representative of his fear of absorption into the proletariat, does anyone else have any other rubbishy or faux interpretations?

(By the byroads, it was the Lunar Excitation tonight. What the hell happened to Zack “What species is THAT?” So bloody funny…

Also, I approve of the idea of Gaqo stuck in a relentless conflictual sitcom. Very Groundhog-Dayesque. Groundhog-esque? Bill-Murray-ish? Feck.)

I can see how literally and metaphorically, the bird can represent Sheldon's fears, of birds and 'fears generally'. And how confronting those fears can dissipate their effects. It wasn''t you I was refering to Count Wally, regarding absence of psychology. I think something I've been trying to express is that, it's the writers who are communicating with us. The characters are like their puppets(although I'm sure the actors bring alot of their own incites and interpretations, and would hate me for saying that!). The writers may be expressing aspects of their own lives(write about what you know, and also in a recent sit com, when the writers were brought together for the first time, they were encouraged to discuss their own life experiences and those became the basis of the show,'Freaks and Geeks'), and using the show cathartically. Sub text can also be subconscious, or as you say generally from what Jung called the collective unconscious, to which I am connected. I think sometimes I am stuck in a 'relentless conflictual sit com', but I've decided to avoid certain people on certain threads, who just keep repeating the same cliches like mindless automatons! Interesting point about class backgrounds! faux interpretation alert! The bird flys away, but inexplicably leaves Sheldon with an egg. I didn't see the bird lay an egg! And Sheldon declares he's going to be a mummy, but the baby bird never appears. WTF! Some people like Slavoj Zizek make a good living from cultural analysis, and once you read their interpretations you never see the film(or whatever) in the same way again! (faux interpretation: Sheldon will be the first androgynous human, to self fertilise, and give birth to his own progeny!) 

Edited by gaqo
  • Like 1

I can see how literally and metaphorically, the bird can represent Sheldon's fears, of birds and 'fears generally'. And how confronting those fears can dissipate their effects. It wasn''t you I was refering to Count Wally, regarding absence of psychology. I think something I've been trying to express is that, it's the writers who are communicating with us. The characters are like their puppets(although I'm sure the actors bring alot of their own incites and interpretations, and would hate me for saying that!). The writers may be expressing aspects of their own lives(write about what you know, and also in a recent sit com, when the writers were brought together for the first time, they were encouraged to discuss their own life experiences and those became the basis of the show,'Freaks and Geeks'), and using the show cathartically. Sub text can also be subconscious, or as you say generally from what Jung called the collective unconscious, to which I am connected. I think sometimes I am stuck in a 'relentless conflictual sit com', but I've decided to avoid certain people on certain threads, who just keep repeating the same cliches like mindless automatons! Interesting point about class backgrounds! faux interpretation alert! The bird flys away, but inexplicably leaves Sheldon with an egg. I didn't see the bird lay an egg! And Sheldon declares he's going to be a mummy, but the baby bird never appears. WTF! Some people like Slavoj Zizek make a good living from cultural analysis, and once you read their interpretations you never see the film(or whatever) in the same way again! (faux interpretation: Sheldon will be the first androgynous human, to self fertilise, and give birth to his own progeny!) 

Very good summary Gaqo ;)

What about Amy, eh? What class is she from? Working-class, middle-class? The writers gave the audience a lot to be guessed about about Amy background, eh?

I don't believe Sheldon would accept a date match from a computer, so I believe Amy is a replicant sent from the future to steal Sheldon's mind(hey it's all fiction anyway!). She is classless, and is using a special transmitter to control Sheldon's desire, plus she makes that Star Trek doctors uniform work! A Minx Replicant, what next!

''Frankenstein's monster'' of the Shamy.

I like that. It describes perfectly the ungainly form of the post-season 4 Shamy. I do not think the writers handled the Shamy anywhere near as well as they could have. 

I don't think TPTB have done a great job with the Shamy (they can't have their cake and eat it too, with moving Sheldon forward in the relationship) but they believe that they have. Tara Hernandez, the chief Shamy wrangler, gets positively weepy about the D&D sex-substitute scene in 6.23 and her boss, showrunner Steve Molaro told The Hollywood Reporter. "It's funny, weird, nerdy and touching. It's a huge step forward and at the same time, it isn't. I don't know where they go from here but I know they're moving forward."

They are positively delighted with what they have done and getting glowing feedback from the media they ingest. They think they are marking a trail to a bright future.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

Plus, when they sent Amy back, they cunningly made her a neuroscientist that chops up brains. You watch as soon as Sheldon drops his guard, she'll have the cranial saw out. That also explains why she has little back story, and we never meet her family!!! They did reference Frankenstein, when Sheldon went to the ball park. Leonard said, ' I'd better go,he's out terrorising the villagers'. And they reference Dracula, by just showing Sheldon in bed. Is there anything they don't reference?

• Like 1

Incidentally, I’ve always found it interesting that the four chaps and Penny were born into families that span the traditional class system. Sheldon and Penny both come from working class backgrounds (even occasionally straying into what would offensively be termed “white trash”). Howard from lower middle class, Leonard upper middle class, and Raj is essentially an aristocrat. I think partially the reason Sheldon gets so uppity with Penny could be recognition of shared origins. (Actually, this should be; “one interpretation of why” as obviously Sheldon doesn’t think anything at all, being fictional.)

This is something discussed by shennys at length. Sheldon likes to think he's superior to everyone but they have the same background and she always beats him. Maybe this is why he picks at her so much.

This is something discussed by shennys at length. Sheldon likes to think he's superior to everyone but they have the same background and she always beats him. Maybe this is why he picks at her so much.

Well he is superior! When he said that his family used to live in an aluminium house, on cinder blocks, what exactly is that?

I'm not sure if this would be classed as a symbol or a sign, but when Sheldon is trying to sneak past Amy on the stairs, he puts on a 'Groucho mask', again making reference to the origin of this show in the Marx Brothers. Again indicating that TBBT is referencing Jewish comedy; Sheldon is Groucho, Leonard is Leonard, Harpo is Raj.  

• Like 1

Also, I approve of the idea of Gaqo stuck in a relentless conflictual sitcom. Very Groundhog-Dayesque. Groundhog-esque? Bill-Murray-ish? Feck.)

I don't know about you Count Wally but in regard to the Bill-Murray-ish I like the dynamic and nonchalant acting of him. :icon_redface: I watched almost every movie he was in as an actor and Scrooged is one my favourites. Surreal/scary-funny-fetish appeareances... you name it's all there!

Edited by wannamaker
  • Like 1

Of course, Penny and Sheldon both coming from the same class background, explains why they connected. Sheldon has escaped his origins through reading and intellectual development, and maybe Penny sees Leonard as now, her only way of reaching her ambition to escape hers. I suppose people do whatever it takes to achieve the American Dream! There may be some resentment from Sheldon, he has had to work hard, but reel Leonard in, all Peny has had to do is wiggle her ass...........ets! 

@Gaqo

If just wiggling her ass would be enough...you also need other attributes to keep a relationship going, sex in itself does not do the trick!

Welll that's just to reel him in! I often think that the only reason the lift doesn't work, and they have to climb the stairs over and over again, (I know it's a set on one level thing), is so geeks can lech over Penny's ass...ets!(sorry I like that joke, so I'm only amusing myself!) Leonard's easily pleased!!!

That thing Raj does to impress women; that constellation is 'such and such', in India we call it 'yadder yadder'. That's in 'Look me in the Eye', the author uses it to trick those who think him a prodigy. 

I'm more likely to lech over Sheldon's ass... But I sense that would be more vehemently discussed in the Jim Parsons thread.

It was the Pilot tonight. The sheer blatancy of stripping a character to his underwear in the first episode and then filming him walking up numerous flights of stairs....They did something similar to Scully in X Files....

Not that I'm complaining on EITHER behalf...

Sorry, Symbolism, Metaphor...er...arse...? Terribly off topic. (cough)

• Like 1