I'm Sick Of Sheldon!

Ray Ellis

Its fortuitous that his circle of friends can cope with his behaviors. But his circumstances are contingent on how others respond to him. Maybe this is a manifestation of the anthropic principle. If they ever walked away there would be no show. Back to the lawn chairs and his castle of solitude.

Perhaps he models the consequences of his behaviors, foresees the impacts and emulates appropriate behaviors just enough to mitigate any negative consequences for himself. He is smart.

Whatever his deal, he is lucky to have only been punched once and slapped the one time. IMHO.

Bernie is champing at the bit. LOL :)

Edited by DogBoy (p.t.)
  • Like 1

Sheldon doesn't know or Sheldon does't care ...

I will try to give an example of how cruel and sick Sheldon's actions sometimes be...

The ending scene in the episode where Priya nullifies the roommate agreement where Sheldon gets Leonard to sign the new roommate agreement which hugely favors him was an act of extreme selfishness , cowardice . 

He puts his best friend's relationship in jeopardy so that he can eat and pee whatever and whenever he likes. 

We should consider that what Priya did early in that episode was logical and honest and even Sheldon could not refute her. And it seemed that she just wanted her boyfriend to have a better life.

So basically Sheldon is so selfish that he would take a chance on others relationship so he gets what he wants..

Now this act looks like it was heard or seen before right.... yes infact it was...

Will Wheaton does the same exact thing.... he wanted to win the game....but with Penny in their team it was not possible....so he took advantage of the situation and told Penny that story...which lead to Penny breaking up with Leonard.

So Wheaton took a chance on Leonard-Penny's relationship to get what he wants....

and similarly Sheldon took a chance on Leonard-Penny's relationship to get what he wants...... both of them cannot be humanely sure what was going to happen...they just took a chance .... anything could have happened...

I don't know if Sheldon has OCD or ABCD or XYZ but Sheldon cannot be oblivious to how Leonard would react is someone breaks up with him (Sheldon's own past experience)...but here he totally ignores all those things....so that he can get what he wants...

And it was not something that a sincere or honest person does...it was something a coward or a back-stabber does...

I can see why the writers did what they did , they just wanted Sheldon to win over Priya..... but if there was even 1% reality in it....the first thing Leonard should have done was to vacate the apartment and run fast and far (with probably die sheldon die on the wall of him room)...

• Like 3

this discussion is making me feel a little irksome....

I think we're all analysing the show a little too much... don't you? Ray Ellis wanted a war, and we've given him an apocalypse.

I sense I'm being too dramatic...

its just a frank and open exchange of viewpoints about responses to the characterisations and circumstances depicted in the show. Much over thinking is involved. :). Edited by DogBoy (p.t.)
  • Like 2

this discussion is making me feel a little irksome....

I think we're all analysing the show a little too much... don't you? Ray Ellis wanted a war, and we've given him an apocalypse.

I sense I'm being too dramatic...

Yes, I was just sitting down at the pub with a nice glass of merlot, thinking to myself "You silly tit, what the devil did you write all that for".

I am now chastened, and will in future migrate away from potentially emotional topics.

I'm terribly biased anyway. As far as I'm concerned, Sheldon could chase the others off a cliff and I'd still be on his side. They were probably blocking his view.

• Like 1

Sheldon tends to have that effect on me too... He's just so charming. This is probably due to Jim's charm. I probably would not like Sheldon so much if he was portrayed by someone else...

Sheldon gets away with a large amount of his somewhat overbearing nature by not being physically intimidating. I think it also helps considerably him having an attractive, childlike face, rather than a sinister or traditionally adult one. His androgyny would play a major role in this as well, I think. If he looked like Kurt, I’d probably be tempted to coldcock him.

I think the OP is just angry and wasn't making a factual statement but an emotional reaction. Because Sheldon is becoming very very annoying these days. Some of his little speeches now are just awful. He used to be scientific, which made him funny. Without that I can see why some fans could start to dislike him.

• Like 2

Sheldon gets away with a large amount of his somewhat overbearing nature by not being physically intimidating. I think it also helps considerably him having an attractive, childlike face, rather than a sinister or traditionally adult one. His androgyny would play a major role in this as well, I think. If he looked like Kurt, I’d probably be tempted to coldcock him.

But I agree with this. His androgyny saves him most of the time although over the last two seasons I think the character has gone downhill a bit.

In the past Sheldon was exonerated because they made him seem less capable of understanding what he was doing. This new awareness they have given him, opens him up to criticism over his behavior. Simple really.

Edited by Spaced_up
  • Like 1

Yes, I was just sitting down at the pub with a nice glass of merlot, thinking to myself "You silly tit, what the devil did you write all that for".

I am now chastened, and will in future migrate away from potentially emotional topics.

I'm terribly biased anyway. As far as I'm concerned, Sheldon could chase the others off a cliff and I'd still be on his side. They were probably blocking his view.

Entirely a fair comment. And I think you should not refrain from them in future.

I am still unclear if you think it would reasonable for him to imprisoned for such an act if he was foolish enough to allow himself to be caught. I sincerely am interested in how much responsibility can be attributed to him for the things he does. I believe he has no diminished capacity. I know he is not Dexter and this is again a ludicrous example, but where is the line? Conversely, why does he even have friends? He just needs contractors.

I'm very hopeful that they will give him some kind of epiphany in coming seasons. One can't complain about that because the character has changed in essence before. But that's a whole other bunfight. :) :) hehehe.

eta

this is why I don't do chat. Hehehe

you answered up thread.

"its ok if she doesn't get it, as long as she's pretty", said Penny And that's entirely ok.

Edited by DogBoy (p.t.)

It looks like my earlier post bothered some of you.... that was not my intention... I was just posting my opinions on this topic...

And I can definitely understand why many people will be always on Sheldon's side.....hell the writers always seem to on his side....

Anyway , I'm the kind of guy who likes to see new stories , new things in a show with a little bit of correctness , probably bit of morality and little bit close to reality.....

I can see many of the old Sheldon fans (believe me I'm a huge fan too) liking the Parking spot escalation episode... but for me is was a simple rehash of Panty Pinata or Hot troll episodes..... a story of Sheldon being inflexible....that's it...there is nothing new to it...same story....same equation...same constants....just different variables (penny/ howard/ raj and the tricks).... one can easily predict where the next joke is coming from...

Edited by vasu

But I agree with this. His androgyny saves him most of the time although over the last two seasons I think the character has gone downhill a bit.

In the past Sheldon was exonerated because they made him seem less capable of understanding what he was doing. This new awareness they have given him, opens him up to criticism over his behavior. Simple really.

I quite frankly don't "believe" in him since the fourth season, in terms of character depiction. But that's another tale for another time (and thread)....Incidentally, your gifs are charming! I've always enjoyed the degree of posturing Sheldon puts himself through...

• Like 1

Thing is if we stick to what writers/producers say, and what is said in the show, we might as well fold this forum, just watch the show and repeat what we see. There is a theory that all of us are on the autism spectrum somewhere, to a lesser or greater degree, and the same with OCD, we all have it to some degree. I think if a character brings about better awareness and understanding of these little understood conditions, then that's good, it's certainly got us talking, and finding out more.

Not at all. I don't care if Sheldon gets us talking about autism or asperger's syndrome or not. That is not the "raison d'etre" of the character. Sheldon is in TBBT to be funny. For example. don't care if his three knocks are because of OCD or not, it's just funny. What I think is more important is that the character be true to him/her self, and therefore believable.

• Like 1

I think this discussion could go round and round forever, so let's agree to let everyone have their own opinions. I think it will be interesting to read the book that JP used to prepare for the role, it should give me an incite into how he prepares for a role. Whether or not he used what he read I don't know until Amazon get there act together. Has anyone else read the book? @ Willo, Ray Ellis, wasn't he a famous serial killer?

Again, let me repeat this to you: it is not important whether he has Asperger's or OCD. Fact of the matter is situations have to be funny(there for the sitcom nomer).

And as far as Sheldon not being able to be himself, please!!!!!!!!! Do you watch the show? Do you remember the season 6 finale when he kept interrupting Leonard's and Penny's goodbye, and when he mentioned that the locket L gave P was on sale?

Also you say that at least Amy still cares about him implying that the others don't. Wrong again. Before leaving Leonard told Penny to please take care of Sheldon in his absence, So I really don't know what you're talking about.

• Like 1

I'm not realy sure what your point is. I originally started by saying that his so called friends, were being mean, churlish, and worst of all striking him, when it's obvious to them, and all of us watching that he has a recognised condition, all of us that aren't living in denial that is! I thought we were living in a more inclusive, understanding, and forgiving society. I think that the producers/writers fear of giving him a right and proper diagnosis, is allowing others to abuse the character Sheldon, and this is a bad signal to send out in a world where many people are on the autism spectrum! Whether it's a sit com, or a film like Rain Man, it's important that characters are shown respect, just like real people. No one would consider striking Stephen Hawking, or a character with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis condition, for not being able to speak or move! 

I'm not realy sure what your point is. I originally started by saying that his so called friends, were being mean, churlish, and worst of all striking him, when it's obvious to them, and all of us watching that he has a recognised condition, all of us that aren't living in denial that is! I thought we were living in a more inclusive, understanding, and forgiving society. I think that the producers/writers fear of giving him a right and proper diagnosis, is allowing others to abuse the character Sheldon, and this is a bad signal to send out in a world where many people are on the autism spectrum! Whether it's a sit com, or a film like Rain Man, it's important that characters are shown respect, just like real people. No one would consider striking Stephen Hawking, or a character with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis condition, for not being able to speak or move! 

A recogniized condition?   One that "all of us" recognize, except we'uns wo are jist to stupid to realize it?  Bovine fecal matter!   NO ONE has stated that he has been diagnosed by a medical professional with having a recognized medical condition on the show.   Sheldon has a tendency of being self absorbed.   All these "experts" diagnosing a character on T.V. and from there finding excuses for his inexcuseable behavior and are in denial that he is often a jerk.  If a television show doesn't specifically state or very strongly hint something, then it hasn't happened.  

• Like 2

As for 'striking' Sheldon. After all the things he's done to others he's lucky it's only been once. Consider it negative reinforcement to encourage him to modify his behaviour. Since Sheldon has no problem with 'correcting' others he has no room to complain.

Season 3 episode 3

Leonard: Okay, I know what you’re doing.

Sheldon: Really?

Leonard: Yes, you’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider correct behaviour.

Sheldon: Very good. Chocolate?

Leonard: No, I don’t want any chocolate! Sheldon, you can’t train my girlfriend like a lab rat.

Sheldon: Actually, it turns out I can.

Leonard: Well, you shouldn’t.

Sheldon: There’s just no pleasing you, is there, Leonard? You weren’t happy with my previous approach to dealing with her, so I decided to employ operant conditioning techniques, building on the work of Thorndike and B.F. Skinner. By this time next week, I believe I can have her jumping out of a pool, balancing a beach ball on her nose.

Leonard: No, this has to stop now.

Sheldon: I’m not suggesting we really make her jump out of a pool. I thought the “bazinga” was implied. I’m just tweaking her personality, sanding off the rough edges if you will.

Leonard: No, you’re not sanding Penny.

Sheldon: Are you saying that I’m forbidden from applying a harmless, scientifically valid protocol that will make our lives better?

Leonard: Yes, you’re forbidden.

Sheldon (Squirting him with a water spray): Bad Leonard.

later

Sheldon: You know, using positive reinforcement techniques, I could train that behaviour out of her in a week.

Leonard: No.

Sheldon: If you let me use negative reinforcement, I can get it done before we go to bed.

Leonard: You’re not squirting her in the face with water.

Sheldon: No, of course not. We’re talking very mild electric shocks. No tissue damage whatsoever.

Leonard: Forget it.

Sheldon: Oh, come on, you can’t tell me that you’re not intrigued about the possibility of building a better girlfriend.

Leonard: I’m not. And Penny’s qualities, both good and bad, are what make her who she is.

So from my POV Sheldon could use some conditioning and using his own methods (to build a better Sheldon) are valid. Of course getting him to sit still for 'very mild electric shocks' would be very difficult. But it would be really funny if the others squirted him with water every time he pissed them off (he'd probably be soaked in minutes). Imagine the airport scene if Penny and Leonard had had spray bottles, now that would have been funny.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2

Don't try to infer that anyone who criticizes Sheldon is somehow showing a lack of respect and even disdain for the mentally handicappped.  That is a very cheap way to try to stifle criticism of a fictional character on a comedy show that has NEVER said that he has a recognized mential disorder.  

Don't try to infer that anyone who criticizes Sheldon is somehow showing a lack of respect and even disdain for the mentally handicappped.  That is a very cheap way to try to stifle criticism of a fictional character on a comedy show that has NEVER said that he has a recognized mential disorder.  

I wouldn't take it too seriously. The people who are using that argument (that he has a diagnosed or diagnosable disorder) are Sheldon apologists, who would use any excuse to support (and stifle criticism of), Sheldon, no matter how objectionable his behaviour. While Sheldon may exhibit symptoms, that is not an excuse to indulge him. On the other hand, there is reason to believe that Sheldon can get a clue.

After being told to 'Go Away' by Leonard and then Howard, in Season 1 Episode 12.

Sheldon: Did Leonard tell you to say that?

Howard: No, I thought of it all by myself.

Sheldon: Huh. It can’t be a coincidence. There must be some causal link I’m missing.

Then later

Scene: Raj is exiting his office.

Raj: Go away. (Sheldon exits)

Sheldon: Curiouser and curiouser.

So Sheldon CAN learn. Just stop indulging him he should (eventually) modify his actions.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

I have stopped watching TBBT because Sheldon, the host of behavioural diseases that merit incarceration and Lithium, always seems to win.  He never pays for his egocentric abuse of everyone else, his narcisism, his smarmy self-satisfaction.  Even Penny punching his whining face doesn't make the abuse bearable.  In anything resembling a real world, he would have his ass kicked by everyone within a half mile,  And he deserves it!

Yeah, go ahead, flame me, tell me how wonderful Sheldon is. 

I respect your right to be horribly wrong.

Very well Ray Ellis

If you are sick of Sheldon... you have all of us from this forum... who can give you support ...otherwise :icon_rolleyes:

You can always join us in Chit Chat for a more convivial debate of somesort and forget about Sheldon ok?

• Like 1

Now, hopefully, this puts an end to this rather heated thread.

I doubt it, though.

It shouldn't , because for some its a valid response to the character. And if you trawl backwards every character has had a turn in the barrel. Characters resonate with people differently. Stuart's been about the only one I can think of who has not been beaten on at sometime. But it is easy to beat up Sheldon, because they deliberately write him so that you can oscillate between wanting to kiss or kill him. That's why he is an engaging character. Then it goes to the reader's preference, which defies argument. IMO.

TPTB want people to care about the show so they will watch and generate revenue. They don't want or need all their characters to be loved by everyone. So they gave us 7 choices, so the one character doesn't have to cater to all preferences.

You should see what people have written about Penny. This is tame in comparison. And some here deride the characters for their looks, which is an attack on the intrinsic attributes of the character, and not something that they have choice about. That also plays back to the actor, which is just rude, to some extent.

Hey, it's Sunday here, so I'm preaching! Lol :). But stay braced or get ready to use the block feature; or chill. Whatever works, but bung your 2c in whenever you can. Cheers

Edited by DogBoy (p.t.)
  • Like 1

I totally agree! People here are disliking Sheldon because he is a jerk, not because he is handicapped. He doesn't care when he acts offensive. He is insulting. He disregards other people and tramples on their rights. 

Nobody is getting mad at Sheldon because he is mentally ill (whether he is or not can be debated but it doesn't matter). They get angry because he is mean. 

Edited by Midru
  • Like 2

It shouldn't , because for some its a valid response to the character. And if you trawl backwards every character has had a turn in the barrel. Characters resonate with people differently.  But it is easy to beat up Sheldon, because they deliberately write him so that you can oscillate between wanting to kiss or kill him. That's why he is an engaging character. Then it goes to the reader's preference, which defies argument. IMO.

TPTB want people to care about the show so they will watch and generate revenue. They don't want or need all their characters to be loved by everyone. So they gave us 7 choices, so the one character doesn't have to cater to all preferences.

Yeah... I would call it rather a routinue. They don't give a toss about what people think...because of the impending success of the show anyway. :p

• Like 1

Sheldon doesn't know or Sheldon does't care ...

I will try to give an example of how cruel and sick Sheldon's actions sometimes be...

The ending scene in the episode where Priya nullifies the roommate agreement where Sheldon gets Leonard to sign the new roommate agreement which hugely favors him was an act of extreme selfishness , cowardice . 

He puts his best friend's relationship in jeopardy so that he can eat and pee whatever and whenever he likes. 

We should consider that what Priya did early in that episode was logical and honest and even Sheldon could not refute her. And it seemed that she just wanted her boyfriend to have a better life.

So basically Sheldon is so selfish that he would take a chance on others relationship so he gets what he wants..

Now this act looks like it was heard or seen before right.... yes infact it was...

Will Wheaton does the same exact thing.... he wanted to win the game....but with Penny in their team it was not possible....so he took advantage of the situation and told Penny that story...which lead to Penny breaking up with Leonard.

So Wheaton took a chance on Leonard-Penny's relationship to get what he wants....

and similarly Sheldon took a chance on Leonard-Penny's relationship to get what he wants...... both of them cannot be humanely sure what was going to happen...they just took a chance .... anything could have happened...

I don't know if Sheldon has OCD or ABCD or XYZ but Sheldon cannot be oblivious to how Leonard would react is someone breaks up with him (Sheldon's own past experience)...but here he totally ignores all those things....so that he can get what he wants...

And it was not something that a sincere or honest person does...it was something a coward or a back-stabber does...

I can see why the writers did what they did , they just wanted Sheldon to win over Priya..... but if there was even 1% reality in it....the first thing Leonard should have done was to vacate the apartment and run fast and far (with probably die sheldon die on the wall of him room)...

If we believe Sheldon is 'clued up' like Will Wheaton then your argument is sound. But the truth is, the wrtiers have always suggested that he is not. Wil Wheaton can run rings around him, so can Penny, so can anyone with an ounce of common sense.

I do not want to start the 'is he?' or 'isn't he?' argument again because I've argued this many times already but I think we have a split here. Between people who think Sheldon can't help his actions and people who think he is a callous, calculating narcissist.

I think the changes they have made in Sheldon push the character more towards the calculating narcissist theory. Which means he is in danger of becoming hated, like he is by the OP. Many people wanted growth in Sheldon and this is the unfortunate result. I prefer my Sheldon wildly intelligent and stubborn. But he has to have that innocent, vunerable centre and this is what is being lost with the new awareness. I just don't like the way they are removing the innocence that protected him to sexualise the character but leaving the arrogance. I am a massive fan of the old Sheldon, this new one pisses me off as well.

• Like 2

It looks like my earlier post bothered some of you.... that was not my intention... I was just posting my opinions on this topic...

And I can definitely understand why many people will be always on Sheldon's side.....hell the writers always seem to on his side....

Anyway , I'm the kind of guy who likes to see new stories , new things in a show with a little bit of correctness , probably bit of morality and little bit close to reality.....

I can see many of the old Sheldon fans (believe me I'm a huge fan too) liking the Parking spot escalation episode... but for me is was a simple rehash of Panty Pinata or Hot troll episodes..... a story of Sheldon being inflexible....that's it...there is nothing new to it...same story....same equation...same constants....just different variables (penny/ howard/ raj and the tricks).... one can easily predict where the next joke is coming from...

Except Sheldon was funnier in Panty because he was dead pan. In Parking lot when he's going 'crazy' in the office, it's just not funny. The quality of the jokes was not there. He was very animated and yelling at a bird out the window. It was rubbish.

• Like 1