Emmy Nomination Thread

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jim Parsons won the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy award at the 65th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards in Hollywood today. This was the actor's fifth consecutive nomination for the award an

Congratulations to the TBBT camera crew for their win in the Outstanding Technical Direction/Camerawork/Video Control.

jim kissing his emmy

Please tell me what was "off" about the directing this year?  They've had essentially the same director, apart from one or two episodes each season, so, what? Did he all of a sudden lose his mojo or something?

As for the writing, I think it was pretty interesting and clever.  They covered a lot of ground with various different ideas, unusual ideas--Bakersfield, Re-Entry, Closet, Love Spell.  I think the writing was as varied and interesting as it's been in years past.

But the show as a whole getting a nomination is some kind of endorsement of the writing and directing, as well as the acting.  The actors wouldn't have much to do if the writing wasn't there, so if the show gets an overall nom, then that endorses the writing.

Usually if the writers get a specific nomination, it's for a specific episode, so maybe there wasn't one that stood out that much, compared to other shows.

I am going by what others say in the industry and what fans have also been saying. There were pacing problems with the show, as well as dialog problems that made characters inconsistent.  The story arcs were definitely strong and good this year, although I think S7 they will be better because they are getting away from drama and getting back to science.  But the writing was also poorly paced at times and meaner in tone which made the "funny" go away.   I think overall the writing was spotty.  You had great moments and then a lot of "meh" moments.  I still think overall it is one of the best comedy shows on air, but also being honest and fair.  I know what folks int the industry look at and am saying that other "professionals" in that industry will note those discrepancies and that is why they were overlooked.   Critics have often said the writing was spotty and inconsistent and talked about the meaner tone.  It isn't something that can be overlooked.   Too many people in that industry noticed it.  It isn't up to you and I, but the folks that vote who have experience far more than you or I would have to note these things.  All of those are going to be reflected both on writing and directing. It is just how it works in the industry.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 4

I am going by what others say in the industry and what fans have also been saying. There were pacing problems with the show, as well as dialog problems that made characters inconsistent.  The story arcs were definitely strong and good this year, although I think S7 they will be better because they are getting away from drama and getting back to science.  But the writing was also poorly paced at times and meaner in tone which made the "funny" go away.   I think overall the writing was spotty.  You had great moments and then a lot of "meh" moments.  I still think overall it is one of the best comedy shows on air, but also being honest and fair.  I know what folks int the industry look at and am saying that other "professionals" in that industry will note those discrepancies and that is why they were overlooked.   Critics have often said the writing was spotty and inconsistent and talked about the meaner tone.  It isn't something that can be overlooked.   Too many people in that industry noticed it.  It isn't up to you and I, but the folks that vote who have experience far more than you or I would have to note these things.  All of those are going to be reflected both on writing and directing. It is just how it works in the industry.

What articles are these where industry professionals and critics have been saying these things?  Can you point to a few of them?

I'm not naive about who in the industry makes such decisions, but I also would like to see where these things are being said, since I haven't come across such things.  I haven't seen articles mentioning the writing being poorly paced or meaner in tone--I've seen some comments like that from fans, but I haven't seen anyone linking any articles from industry critics mentioning spotty writing or poor pacing or mean tone.

Where are all these people who noticed it?

As for what's going to happen in S7, I don't think you can say at this point that it's going to be better or that it's going to get away from drama and back to science simply based on a couple of comments by Molaro.  I read his recent interview, too, but I wouldn't make any broad predictions about anything based on his few comments.  It's not like he laid out the whole season.  That's all very preliminary stuff.

I know that the Writers' Guild doesn't seem to have any respect for Big Bang, but that seems to have been going on for years, not just this season.

So who else is saying all of this?

I'm not trying to say the show is perfect, and I know that some episodes went over better than others, but I don't think I've seen any article that says that the writing this season has been uneven, etc.

Edited by phantagrae

Well, I certainly agree.

Stardust, we've talked about this before.  :)  We need a blend of seasons 5 and 6 and I think it would be close to perfect.

• Like 1

It's all those Modern Family men hogging up the nominations for supporting actor. Simon most definitely deserved one.

• Like 3

Happy for the show and Jim and Mayim but disappointed for the others especially Simon.  I think he did some of his finest work this past season...

Stardust, we've talked about this before.  :)  We need a blend of seasons 5 and 6 and I think it would be close to perfect.

Agree...

Also agree with the comments above about Simon.  I really believe he did outstanding work.  He is a winner in my book! ;)

Agree also with LostinSun, at least others were recognized during Critics Choice Award nomination process.  So his work is receiving at least some recognition.

Edited by stardustmelody

It's all those Modern Family men hogging up the nominations for supporting actor. Simon most definitely deserved one.

Is Modern Family an hour or a half-hour?

I was wondering about the Best Comedy category--I don't know that I've seen most of the other shows, but aren't they all very different?

Someone had said that "Girls" was more of a dramedy, and I think all of the others are single-camera shows.  "Louis" isn't an ensemble show, like MF or TBBT, is it?

And it seems like the style of humor is very different, too, in terms of whether it's kind of absurd, or dark, or whatever.

I wonder how one can compare such apples and oranges.

I agree that comparing must be very difficult because they are quite different. I think MF is normally 30 minutes, although their premiere is going to be an hour this coming season.   I have a bigger problem with the fact that Cable can compete with network because again the rules are so vastly different in the two.  I think Network should have their categories and Cable theirs.   Likewise the new Netflix/Amazon/Hulu should have their own category.  It isn't comparing apples to apples at all anymore, but definitely apples to cherries, oranges, grapes, bananas, etc. It is comparing a whole plethora of genres that all follow different rules and regulations.

Since none of the networks got a nomination in the drama arena and they were all cable shows, that should give warning to the networks.  Their relevancy is going to be thinner and thinner unless they stand up and listen.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

Yahoo called Kaley not being nominated as the biggest emmy snub.

Bottom line, professionals in her industry didn't vote for her to win.  She had lots of positive things going on during voting, plenty of press, and a Critics Choice Award co-win, and a season where she dominated most of the episodes (just shy of Jim's scenes as Sheldon),  all during the voting time which put her in a real good light and advantage for nomination.  However, those who can vote evidently passed over her as a choice for the sixth year in a row.   Not much fans can do about it but move on and support the others in the show that were nominated.

There is always a possibility that they will win, but many think this could be a year Mayim walks home with a win and Jim as well so I say it is 50-50 chance for both at this point in the game.  A lot will depend on what they submit as evidence of their work.   If they both pick good episodes they should be in great shape to win.

• Like 1

Melody if you know maybe you can tell me on what it depends on, what  does it mean "A lot will depend on what they submit as evidence of their work.   If they both pick good episodes they should be in great shape to win." What what kind of people are voting. Thank you

Would you be saying that if it was Jim or Mayim?

Yes, however Mayim and Jim both have a lot of talent and are both scene stealers all the time.  So it does not surprise me that they have been nominated.   I will admit that I thought Kaley possibly would get a nom this year because she had a lot of airtime last year and fairly good lines to work with, plus a lot of buzz in the industry favoring her as a nominee, but she also was up against a lot of very strong contenders.  I was just as surprised Jessica Walter from Arrested Development was overlooked as well.   But the voters clearly saw something in those they voted for that was stronger.