Emmy Nomination Thread

rachelshamyfan

I hope BBT wins one day but I think it has a few things going against it.  First, Emmy likes to keep rewarding the same people and shows year after year after year.  That's good news for Jim.  I know a few streaks were broken this year but they were shows that are going to keep going for a long time.  With dramas and comedies, I fear that if they do not win it within their first few years then they aren't ever going to unless they give award it to a show in its final season like Breaking Bad this year.  That seems to be the prevailing theme of the Emmys recently.   I bet BBT wins the People's choice again this year though and that's the only award I think is worth winning because that is the only award your audience is giving out.

Edited by JonRS92

With dramas and comedies, I fear that if they do not win it within their first few years then they aren't ever going to unless they give award it to a show in its final season like Breaking Bad this year.

Friends didn't win until it's eighth year(out of ten)

:banghead:  :negative:  :angry: :-(

Is there an emoticon of someone sticking themselves in the eye with a fork? Or being sick into their hat?

I'd opt for either of them, if I knew how to access such things...

Modern Family...Good grief.

I just had a look at the smiley face icon for the first time. I am terrified by the wealth of variations.

I'm going to put this apparent cliched French individual saying incomprehensible things into a bakelite telephone as my first ever emoticon, even though it has no bearing on the topic at hand.

:bubaphone:

Modern Family! Sacrebleu!

• Like 2

I hope BBT wins one day but I think it has a few things going against it.  First, Emmy likes to keep rewarding the same people and shows year after year after year.  That's good news for Jim.  I know a few streaks were broken this year but they were shows that are going to keep going for a long time.  With dramas and comedies, I fear that if they do not win it within their first few years then they aren't ever going to unless they give award it to a show in its final season like Breaking Bad this year.  That seems to be the prevailing theme of the Emmys recently.   I bet BBT wins the People's choice again this year though and that's the only award I think is worth winning because that is the only award your audience is giving out.

True I agree and that is true within some shows, but bear in mind MF was loosing to Glee for a few years, before it started it's run, so it's not true in every case. Friends was arguably the biggest tv show of it's generation, but wan once in ten years. I think their are still a lot of conservative voters on the Emmy panel, who are still overlooking the tradational format sitcoms like TBBT, Friends, Taahm e.t.c. Maybe feel it's to formulaic, niche e.t.c. Who knows. Maybe TBBT need's more dramatic matarial to contend with, funny thing is the writing in MF from what I have heard has gone down hill, quality has diminished. TBBT beat out MF in ratings took the #1 Primetime slot, and is the most watched scripted show in the states and the world. But clearly ratings aren't the only factor, TBBT is going to be one of those shows the world loves but when it come's down to critical acclaim and awards always overlooked.

Edited by 3ku11

True I agree and that is true within some shows, but bear in mind MF was loosing to Glee for a few years, before it started it's run, so it's not true in every case. Friends was arguably the biggest tv show of it's generation, but wan once in ten years. I think their are still a lot of conservative voters on the Emmy panel, who are still overlooking the tradational format sitcoms like TBBT, Friends, Taahm e.t.c. Maybe feel it's to formulaic, niche e.t.c. Who knows. Maybe TBBT need's more dramatic matarial to contend with, funny thing is the writing in MF from what I have heard has gone down hill, quality has diminished. TBBT beat out MF in ratings took the #1 Primetime slot, and is the most watched scripted show in the states and the world. But clearly ratings aren't the only factor, TBBT is going to be one of those shows the world loves but when it come's down to critical acclaim and awards always overlooked.

Yeah, there are always the exceptions.  Seinfeld too only won once I think in the middle of their run so it is possible.  I have two other theories as well.  The first is that I think MF has a few things going for it that the industry insiders like.  I'm not going to get into them because I don't want to offend anyone.  I just shook my head when I read in two places that MF declined but was going to win anyway.  What sense does that make?  You shouldn't be able to just skate by and win your business' top prize.  The second thing is, I think Emmy is becoming a lot like Oscar in that it awards things that it wants people to see.  Oscar especially is almost like a promotional tool for projects that the public isn't going to see but Hollywood wants to make anyway.  That kind of plays into what you said about ratings not being everything.  Emmy isn't as bad but they may be moving there.  I looked up the rating for BBT and I was actually pleasantly surprised where they were last year.  The #1 comedy and the #3 show among all types. 

• Like 2

Yeah, there are always the exceptions.  Seinfeld too only won once I think in the middle of their run so it is possible.  I have two other theories as well.  The first is that I think MF has a few things going for it that the industry insiders like.  I'm not going to get into them because I don't want to offend anyone.  I just shook my head when I read in two places that MF declined but was going to win anyway.  What sense does that make?  You shouldn't be able to just skate by and win your business' top prize.  The second thing is, I think Emmy is becoming a lot like Oscar in that it awards things that it wants people to see.  Oscar especially is almost like a promotional tool for projects that the public isn't going to see but Hollywood wants to make anyway.  That kind of plays into what you said about ratings not being everything.  Emmy isn't as bad but they may be moving there.  I looked up the rating for BBT and I was actually pleasantly surprised where they were last year.  The #1 comedy and the #3 show among all types. 

Yeah I agree IMO the Outstanding Comedy should acknowledge excellence in quality, writing, directing, and ratings. MF was neither of those things this year, yet it is what the Emmy's want to see portrayed to the media and the public, it is getting old. I always felt Friend's got the same treatment, should of wan far more then it's solitary one Emmy, but their are a lot of politics that come into play for sure, and I Think Friends like TBBT is one of those shows everyone loves, the whole world loves so popular, yet when it comes down to awards too many conservative voters, who don't have a clue what Comedy means, it is all about image and money really.

• Like 1

Is there an emoticon of someone sticking themselves in the eye with a fork? Or being sick into their hat?

I'd opt for either of them, if I knew how to access such things...

Modern Family...Good grief.

I just had a look at the smiley face icon for the first time. I am terrified by the wealth of variations.

I'm going to put this apparent cliched French individual saying incomprehensible things into a bakelite telephone as my first ever emoticon, even though it has no bearing on the topic at hand.

:bubaphone:

Modern Family! Sacrebleu!

LOL  :biggrin: 

indeed there is an impressive arsenal of emoticons here, and allow me to congratulate you on your first use - i think it IS relevant in a way....

here's something with a fork (or the closest thing i found):  :diablo: 

modern family - i saw a few years ago an episode or two and didn't find much reason to continue....

• Like 1

I like MF in the first three season's but since then the writing hasen't been so good, and it hasen't been as funny as it was. Maybe the Emmy's see it as more diverse then TBBT, based on the cultural social convention of the Modern Family, tbh tho Middle Class families doesen't seem so "Modern" too me, although they do have two gay guys and a kid haha. I like Sarah Hyland haha but apart from that, I find TBBT more enduring then MF.

oh, just a minute.... sorry for my ignorance, i don't usually follow closely the Emmy awards..... i never checked it but always assumed that TBBT won at some point the Emmy's best comedy show award, as Jim Parsons did....

so.... no?.... never?....

how bizarre! 

Nope it has been nominated for S4, S5, and S6. But never wan, it is odd seeing how succesfull and popular TBBT is, but like I said earlier Friends diddn't win till it's 8th season, so TBBT can still win still at some point if it goes for three or four more seasons.

I am hoping the series comes back stronger and even bigger next season and sweeps up those awards. I have to say that my favorite part of last night was probably Jim and Bob presenting. Those two are so cute together. I'm looking forward to more Professor Proton shenanigans this season :)

Other than that, these shows are a torture to sit through. Goodness me, so much filler and so many commercials. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 1

I am hoping the series comes back stronger and even bigger next season and sweeps up those awards. I have to say that my favorite part of last night was probably Jim and Bob presenting. Those two are so cute together. I'm looking forward to more Professor Proton shenanigans this season :)

Other than that, these shows are a torture to sit through. Goodness me, so much filler and so many commercials. 

I actually thought Jim and Bob looked awkward. Bob looked a little confused (probably his age) and it seemed IMO Jim looked uncomfortable handing out awards. Kaley seemed more of a natural when she was on the stage compared to Jim. I did like Jim's acceptance speech.

I actually thought Jim and Bob looked awkward. Bob looked a little confused (probably his age) and it seemed IMO Jim looked uncomfortable handing out awards. Kaley seemed more of a natural when she was on the stage compared to Jim. I did like Jim's acceptance speech.

I thought it was the awkwardness that made them so adorable. They both don't seem very comfortable with being on stage like that which mad it so endearing to me. And I loved the joke on the Emmy "Are you rubbing it in?". LOL.

It took Friends 8 years to finnally win but yes their are still alot of politics within the industry, alot of conservative people and voters who still are againgst the tradational format of multi-camera sitcoms and comedies. I think Friends was the last tradational sitcom to win could be wrong, and that was 11 years ago. I think their are a lot of voters within the industry internally who want certain shows to be portrayed in the media, this Is just from what i've heard. Really emphasised by the fact from what I've heard (MF S4 has yet to air in NZ yet) MF has declined alot this season. If thats the case why would the Emmy's recognise MF as the most outstanding comedy when it hasen't been this season? Don't get me wrong I do like MF in the first three seasons, and it has deserved all it's recognition up till now, but MF has had its run. The Emmy's should be awarding Excellence in Comedy based on that season, not the shows reputation, but obviousley their a lot of politics at hand here. I think TBBT well eventually win it deserves too.

I like MF in the first three season's but since then the writing hasen't been so good, and it hasen't been as funny as it was. Maybe the Emmy's see it as more diverse then TBBT, based on the cultural social convention of the Modern Family, tbh tho Middle Class families doesen't seem so "Modern" too me, although they do have two gay guys and a kid haha. I like Sarah Hyland haha but apart from that, I find TBBT more enduring then MF.

But... if as you say they gave them the Emmy for diversity, they are wrong. I mean there is nothing wrong with diversity itself, but the Emmy is supposed to reward (as it has been said in this thread) excellency in writing, direction, acting, and overall quality, so...

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 1

But... if as you say they gave them the Emmy for diversity, they are wrong. I mean there is nothing wrong with diversity itself, but the Emmy is supposed to reward (as it has been said in this thread) excellency in writing, direction, acting, and overall quality, so...

Oh yeah obviousley but as in diversity I was more refering to MF format, and it's cultural impact. Although TBBT is more unique then MF, the show put's socially awkward socially inept nerds in situations dealing with work, love, life e.t.c. And the Science is what made the show so famous, and now the show has IMO getting better and better in it's more serialized format with the focus being on relationships, which I know everyone has a different opinion on that, but at the end of the day these are not nerds but people, and to prevent stagnitism all sitcoms need to change and evolve over time, TBBT coulden't of stayed in it's initial premise for ever, and I think it is too the show's advantage that they have progressed the relationship's. MF more deals with the "Modern Family", TBBT is a tradational sitcom that is more Friends then a comedy series like MF that is more a conservative type comedy opposed too TBBT which is more broader, so MF is more a "modern" show touch wood haha. Like I said their are still a lot of conservative older voters in the industry who still have for whatever reason a problem with the multi-camera sitcom, it may have to do with it's format, but for some reason MF is a favorite within the industry right now, although MF has been very good in the past, and have liked it especially in the first three seasons, but it has declined the past few seasons. But even though like you said MF has declined in writing, direction, and overall quality e.t.c. But still the Emmy's recognised MF has the "Outstanding" Comedy. But like I said their are a lot of politics at play here that goes into shows being awarded, that go beyond just is this show better then this show, this show has better ratings then this show e.t.c. Why do you think Friend's only wan one Emmy in ten years? Assuming everyone thinks Friends is the holy grail of comedy here haha.

Edited by 3ku11