The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S7 Spoilers

No, but there is a constant risk of them spitting or throwing up on you, not to mention the dreaded diaper change, so I think Sheldon is out (I'm going to spend the holiday holding various family member's babies). I'm ecstatic for Mary though, I bet she's been wanting a grandchild for a long time! 

Maybe he'll be wearing a bio-hazard suit :p But then again, he was around Amy's germs and vomit more than once and didn't seem phased, so who knows with him. 

In any case, I honestly don't think we'll get to see the baby or anything like that, I wonder whether the episode might actually be set on Xmas day and there will just be a passing mention that Missy had a baby, rather than Sheldon actually going down to Texas to see the baby. It just seems odd that Sheldon would up and leave to see the baby unless Mary forces him or uncle-hood really brings out a new Sheldon we haven't seen before that he's willing to drop everything and fly off to see him/her.

eta: btw, I've just realized that the title of the ep has a double meaning then: Extraction as in without Sheldon and Extraction as in ancestry/offspring. Clever writers! 

Edited by koops
  • Like 4

I can see Sheldon hold a baby.... If someone forces Sheldon to hold it.

It maybe a sign that sheldon growing up.

Missy is the same age as Sheldon. Maybe it gives Sheldon a hint that he's not getting any younger and it's time to settle down.

• Like 1

Hopefully they will play 7x11 at the 7x12 taping.

Fingers crossed.

maybe not? look at how secret this tapping was,

they may not show it to the 7.12 audience

they did it for 100, they show the pilot

Some guy said he saw Leonard in his section of the taping, on Tuesday but he is not telling!

Thanks for the info --- glad to know Leonard will be in the episode, though I am a little worried about how his storyline will be written.

• Like 3

The taping wasn't secret. It's just the way it was taped. There was so much time between session, each day, that it wasn't practicle to keep them there that long. If it was a secret, they wouldn't have had the tour groups in for an audience, much less four different groups.

• Like 4

They easily could have had Sheldon home because it was his annual trip back to Texas to meet his mother's requirements of seeing family and going to church.  Using Christmas was a good enough reason to have had him trek back to Texas, so there had to be a specific reason they chose to use Missy having a child as another reason for him to be there.   We know Sheldon normally would not have gone home just because of that on his own.   He may have made progress, but I still don't see him running home because his twin had had a child.   Think, if this had been any other month, would he have gone?  Not likely.  So the mention of Missy having a baby was for a reason.

I think we are going to see that this baby has a purpose; whether it is to change Sheldon's thinking and make him realize that he may want a child realizing Amy's age could soon become a a factor, etc. or whether it is to bring the baby in some future story so that Uncle Sheldon has to babysit or whatever the reason, etc.  I do believe they intend on using this baby mention somewhere in the story.   It will be fascinating to watch and see what impact this has for future story.

• Like 6

Thanks for the info --- glad to know Leonard will be in the episode, though I am a little worried about how his storyline will be written.

Well, since he would have still known Raj, he ended up marrying Priya. :p

• Like 1

Can you just imagine the look on Amy's face if Sheldon was holding the baby when he Skype's her? :)

Haha, It’ll warm her twaddle, to quote Penny.

I think we are going to see that this baby has a purpose; whether it is to change Sheldon's thinking and make him realize that he may want a child realizing Amy's age could soon become a a factor.

That would be so sweet, I thought about it before, but it seemed to farfetch'd, so didn't post it.

• Like 1

Haha, It’ll warm her twaddle, to quote Penny.

That would be so sweet, I thought about it before, but it seemed to farfetch'd, so didn't post it.

I suspect that as Koops was predicting early in the season, that last season was about Sheldon's emotional awkening (awareness) and this season may be about his physical awakening (awareness).   I don't know if they will go there, but it is possible that they are using his twin's child storyline for the purpose of him being aware that he can't wait around forever.   He has been going very, very slow and I am not saying he will be speeding things up necessarily, but I could see him letting it start to weigh on him.  He has to realize they are nearing their mid-30's and what that means as far as childbirth years left for Amy.  I don't know if they will play it that he creates extra pressure on himself, or if they will have him realize that hey, if he wants children with Amy, he better get on the stick and start to show a little affection toward her, or what they will do.

I do think there was a reason for them to throw that into the mix.  It could easily have been explained that he went to Texas for Christmas and that would have been sufficient.   But instead they included the twin having a baby piece and that had to be for a reason.  There was significance for them bringing it up.   Now it will be fun to speculate and think about it, but I guess we will learn this in the future (whether this season or next). 

• Like 2

They easily could have had Sheldon home because it was his annual trip back to Texas to meet his mother's requirements of seeing family and going to church.  Using Christmas was a good enough reason to have had him trek back to Texas, so there had to be a specific reason they chose to use Missy having a child as another reason for him to be there.   We know Sheldon normally would not have gone home just because of that on his own.   He may have made progress, but I still don't see him running home because his twin had had a child.   Think, if this had been any other month, would he have gone?  Not likely.  So the mention of Missy having a baby was for a reason.

I think we are going to see that this baby has a purpose; whether it is to change Sheldon's thinking and make him realize that he may want a child realizing Amy's age could soon become a a factor, etc. or whether it is to bring the baby in some future story so that Uncle Sheldon has to babysit or whatever the reason, etc.  I do believe they intend on using this baby mention somewhere in the story.   It will be fascinating to watch and see what impact this has for future story.

But we don't know how Missy having a child is mentioned in the Skype call yet. It sounds like it could be anything from specifically saying Sheldon went home to meet the baby to Sheldon just being home for Xmas and him mentioning that his sister's newborn baby is loud and doesn't let him sleep at night or what have you. I'm not saying there might not be some meaning behind this baby storyline. Although I doubt it will be Sheldon pondering fatherhood at this stage, we don't even know what he is pondering when it comes to sex yet, if anything I think it'd be more about him maybe realizing he's not the child of the family anymore and start acting like a grown man - he has said "I'm not a child"/"I'm a grown man" more than once this season. But  we got very little from a very unreliable source so it's hard to tell right now whether there's a purpose to this plot or not. Now that we know there's a baby though, this "Cooper Extraction" title has lots of meanings, so I wouldn't be surprised if this were some kind of rite of passage for Sheldon, of sorts. Especially if it is indeed him daydreaming about what other people's life would have been like without him, like Phanta was speculating.

At this stage, I just hope there's not going to be snarky comments regarding family and babies that might lead to yet another Amy-is-frustrated comment. I was worried in Tenure when Amy brought marriage and family up and thankfully that was glossed over delicately.

Edited by koops
  • Like 1

But we don't know how Missy having a child is mentioned in the Skype call yet. It sounds like it could be anything from specifically saying Sheldon went home to meet the baby to Sheldon just being home for Xmas and him mentioning that his sister's newborn baby is loud and doesn't let him sleep at night or what have you. I'm not saying there might not be some meaning behind this baby storyline. Although I doubt it will be Sheldon pondering fatherhood at this stage, we don't even know what he is pondering when it comes to sex yet, if anything I think it'd be more about him maybe realizing he's not the child of the family anymore and start acting like a grown man - he has said "I'm not a child"/"I'm a grown man" more than once this season. But  we got very little from a very unreliable source so it's hard to tell right now whether there's a purpose to this plot or not. Now that we know there's a baby though, this "Cooper Extraction" title has lots of meanings, so I wouldn't be surprised if this were some kind of rite of passage for Sheldon, of sorts. Especially if it is indeed him daydreaming about what other people's life would have been like without him, like Phanta was speculating.

At this stage, I just hope there's not going to be snarky comments regarding family and babies that might lead to yet another Amy-is-frustrated comment. I was worried in Tenure when Amy brought marriage and family up and thankfully that was glossed over delicately.

I realize we don't know how it is brought up, but the fact they brought it up period has to be serving a purpose. That was the point of my statement. I have no idea what they will do with it.  But I doubt  it is the last we have heard of Missy's baby and we will learn there was a purpose (down the road) for mentioning it period.  I don't care if it was mention as an "off the cuff" comment along with his talking about going home for Christmas or not.  They usually don't throw something that significant in there without it serving a purpose (laying a foundation for something in the future).   It was a totally unnecessary thing to even mention because none of us even knew Missy was dating anyone (or married, if she is) so bringing it up ,even if just a casual mention, was for a purpose.   That was all I was saying.

I have no idea how they will use it but the clearly have some ideas they have tossed around in the writers room and thus felt they had a direction enough to bring it up.  Otherwise, that comment could have waited for some time if at all to bring up.    It may not be used for Shamy at all, but I have to believe there was a reason for it.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 3

I can see Sheldon hold a baby.... If someone forces Sheldon to hold it.

It maybe a sign that sheldon growing up.

Missy is the same age as Sheldon. Maybe it gives Sheldon a hint that he's not getting any younger and it's time to settle down.

I honestly can't picture it. That doesn't mean it couldnt happen but it would be very weird considering he's expressed children are full of germs, ect. If it did happen, my heart would explode with feels. And I think Amy would find it adorable.

• Like 1

I honestly can't picture it. That doesn't mean it couldnt happen but it would be very weird considering he's expressed children are full of germs, ect. If it did happen, my heart would explode with feels. And I think Amy would find it adorable.

I don't remember him saying children are yucky? (Other than loud and covered in goop! But I think he meant right after birth there since his mind just made a baby :p ). I think it would be incredibly weird to see, to be honest. I don't know, I think Sheldon is such a big manchild right now that he would probably be good with kids (loved him in the bookstore with the little girl!). But babies are a totally different thing from kids. Having said that, he's surprised me more than once, so who knows. What always struck me as odd is that when they were planning on the test tube baby in 4x01 he was talking as if he was going to be the one to keep it ("She would have to have access to our progeny"). I know that plan was totally insane and irresponsible and nothing to do with proper parenthood, but I do wonder how the hell he was planning on going about raising his "overlord" by himself. Leonard definitely dodged a bullet there. Can you imagine the two of them in S4 with a baby in the apartment? LOL. 

• Like 5

Funny coincidence, there is an Instagram picture today of Kaley playing a young toddler. Her and Ryan are spending the holidays in Florida. Link is in Kaley's thread.

Edited by Tensor

Uncle Sheldon, huh?  I shudder to think of him having any influence on a child, lol.

• Like 1

I have this daydream: During the Skype, Sheldon is holding the baby and says tenderly: Please, say HELLO to your aunt AMY! Nice, isn´t it????

Edited by Susana Alcira Cairó
  • Like 3

I have this daydream: During the Skype, Sheldon is holding the baby and says tenderly: Please, say HELLO to your aunt AMY! Nice, isn´t it????

Seriously, I would die. That would be so cute :girlinlove: I wish he would have brought Amy w/ him though.

I don't remember him saying children are yucky? (Other than loud and covered in goop! But I think he meant right after birth there since his mind just made a baby :p ). I think it would be incredibly weird to see, to be honest. I don't know, I think Sheldon is such a big manchild right now that he would probably be good with kids (loved him in the bookstore with the little girl!). But babies are a totally different thing from kids. Having said that, he's surprised me more than once, so who knows. What always struck me as odd is that when they were planning on the test tube baby in 4x01 he was talking as if he was going to be the one to keep it ("She would have to have access to our progeny"). I know that plan was totally insane and irresponsible and nothing to do with proper parenthood, but I do wonder how the hell he was planning on going about raising his "overlord" by himself. Leonard definitely dodged a bullet there. Can you imagine the two of them in S4 with a baby in the apartment? LOL. 

It seems to me that it is one of those things with Sheldon that is inconsistent. Because S6's halloween episode he said 'he doesn't care for children'. Based on everything we know about his character, I would automatically assume that he wouldn't like babies (or maybe just fearful of doing something wrong, germs, hurting him/her, ect.) On the other hand, he didnt knock down Amy's suggestion in Tenure Turbulence. So, once again, it's just one of those things where we have to wait and see what the heck is going on in that big bulbous brain of his.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 3

"Uncle Sheldon"

Makes me think of a famous quote...

Yoda: Unexpected this is.

I'm kinda hoping he indicates that he misses her.

In terms of Missy's baby, he's probably interested in checking for any early signs that the child has inherited his genius.

• Like 3

I suspect that as Koops was predicting early in the season, that last season was about Sheldon's emotional awkening (awareness) and this season may be about his physical awakening (awareness).   I don't know if they will go there, but it is possible that they are using his twin's child storyline for the purpose of him being aware that he can't wait around forever.   He has been going very, very slow and I am not saying he will be speeding things up necessarily, but I could see him letting it start to weigh on him.  He has to realize they are nearing their mid-30's and what that means as far as childbirth years left for Amy.

I do think there was a reason for them to throw that into the mix.  It could easily have been explained that he went to Texas for Christmas and that would have been sufficient.   But instead they included the twin having a baby piece and that had to be for a reason.  There was significance for them bringing it up.   Now it will be fun to speculate and think about it, but I guess we will learn this in the future (whether this season or next). 

Yeah that would make sense (the awakening part), I hope we get to see some of that this season.

It doesn't have to be some real sexual intimacy, but a kiss here and there, and some of that hugging that is supposed to be happening ofscreen would be great, for this season imho.

And yeah, the whole Uncle Sheldon deal must serve a purpose, it seems to big to be just a random reason for Sheldon not being in Pasadena.

Now that we know there's a baby though, this "Cooper Extraction" title has lots of meanings, so I wouldn't be surprised if this were some kind of rite of passage for Sheldon, of sorts. Especially if it is indeed him daydreaming about what other people's life would have been like without him, like Phanta was speculating.

hehe love the double Cooper Extraction meaning, well done writers!!

And yeah, I really hope it isn't just a lead to Amy is frustrated line.

I have no idea how they will use it but the clearly have some ideas they have tossed around in the writers room and thus felt they had a direction enough to bring it up.  Otherwise, that comment could have waited for some time if at all to bring up.    It may not be used for Shamy at all, but I have to believe there was a reason for it.

Yeah it might not make sense at all this episode, or it may.

I personally think we will get to see something that might reveal a little bit of what to come, but really will make sense at the end of the season...

Sheldon and babies could be very sweet, or just very disturbing.

I would have love to see the testtube baby thing as AU flashback someday, it would be so freaky to see those two (or three if you count Leonard) trying to handle that.

I would melt if that would happen, Eye Coitus incoming!!!

Because we are protective of Amy, and sense goes out the window very fast then ;)

But what's teh point of AU then? Any character can change. Don't think I'm thrilled with the Penny/Stuart pairing, but I can accept it in AU.

That's not cool. If Amy was initially attracted by the mind of Sheldon, then how and why she would be attracted to Howard? He only has a master's degree.

Because this is an AU episode! Hellooooo!!! And the premise of it is what their lives would be WITHOUT Sheldon. OK?

Oh I love the Amyhow and I could ship them if there wasn't for Sheldon but that's the point there is Sheldon!!!

And I really really wouldn't want to see that!!!My shamy heart aches!! I mean last shamy kiss was in 5th season!!!!!!!!!!No Amy and Howard all over each other!!!!

But you seem to be missing the point of this episode. If it is AU what is the point of your Shamy heart aching? What would be the point of keeping things in cannon? Absolutely none.

The idea behind the AU is "What would life be if people hadn't met Sheldon." Amy, before meeting Sheldon, was uninterested in sex or relationships and found love to be an unnecessary construct. If Amy hadn't met Sheldon, she would have continued on that way: robotic, alone and weird.

Penny dating Stuart isn't comparable because they *did* date and Penny was never against relationships if it weren't for Leonard. Amy dating Howard would be the equivalent of Penny MARRYING Stuart. If Penny has such huge commitment issues that Leonard will be the only guy she can overcome those with and settle down, having her imagine a scenario where she marries some other guy would defeat the purpose of the fact that she met Leonard through Sheldon and that changed her for the better.

I almost agree with everything you say, but there are 2 types of AU, and they are when the circumstances are changed (like not having ever met Sheldon) or the characters changing (being a little or a lot OC) or a combination of both. having said that I really don't know exactly how the episode will unfold, so I'll wait and see