S7 Spoilers

bigbangsheldon

I don't know why people keep insisting that Penny is going to quit trying to be an actress.  I think that she's committed to it (from what we've seen) and I don't think the writers want to change that (from what we've seen.)

Not having a big break is more realistic than not for any aspiring actor.  There are tons of actors doing commercials and bit parts or local productions in the LA area who probably got into the business thinking they were going to break through at some point, but have ended up going from small part to small part.

Now, we haven't been shown a lot of Penny working, and I think they could hint at more small things without making her really successful, but we do know that she continues to take auditions and acting classes, so it's not like she's just daydreaming about acting.

I think this is going to be an interesting episode, and may have some impact on the Lenny relationship, but I don't think it's going to involve career changes or moving away from LA or anything show-altering like that.

I don't know why losing a part would make her want to ask him to move in with her or to move away with her.  If she were to suddenly want to quit her acting career, why would she want to move away from LA when that's where Leonard's life is?  And where all of her current friends are?

Anyway, I don't have any big speculations in mind, I just think that while she might doubt herself for a moment, she's not likely to throw in the towel.

ETA: Although losing a gig on NCIS seems like a big deal, it's not a career make-or-break deal.  There will be more parts to audition for in many shows--every season there are new shows to take a crack at.

Whatever it is, it will ultimately be played for laughs, because this is a comedy, so whatever happens, no one is going to be moving away or anyting.

In Skank Reflex, she was bummed out, hadn't had a career break, was ready to leave town and give up--until she got the phone call.  While doing one commercial never really makes a career, still, she got a paying gig by auditioning for it.

She might have a crisis of confidence, and turning to Leonard will likely be part of that, but I don't think she's going to be quitting.

And who knows, maybe the hesitation has to do with her hesitating to accept the part--like maybe there's a nude scene or a love scene or something and she hesitates on those grounds, maybe because of Leonard (would he be uncomfortable if she were to do love scenes or nude scenes)--and the ramification is that this other girl gets the part...

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 5

My theory (hinted at by someone else above): After the big flop on the NCIS gig, Penny decides that she will never become an actress and that it is time to give up on the whole actress career.  She wants to move (either back to Nebraska or somewhere else in the country) and asks Leonard to come with her.  Leonard obviously hesitates since his job and life are all well established in Pasadena.

Great minds think alike ;)

Of course it will end with Leonard saying no because he cant move with work etc.  He could then ask to move in with her because as he said last season financially it makes sense. This could lead to a big moving episode in the February sweeps

• Like 2

Remember how a very sad Penny threw herself at Leonard after the incident with Kurt at the Halloween party, she would have made out with him and maybe slept with him, but he didn't let her because of the situation. What if loosing this NCIS acting job sort of breaks her and she sees Leonard as her only good thing in life, so asks him to marry her. Leonard, like in season 1, would know she is asking because of being sad and her current situation, so he hesitates and explains it to her, then tells her no, because while in grief, it doesn't count.

• Like 3

Remember how a very sad Penny threw herself at Leonard after the incident with Kurt at the Halloween party, she would have made out with him and maybe slept with him, but he didn't let her because of the situation. What if loosing this NCIS acting job sort of breaks her and she sees Leonard as her only good thing in life, so asks him to marry her. Leonard, like in season 1, would know she is asking because of being sad and her current situation, so he hesitates and explains it to her, then tells her no, because while in grief, it doesn't count.

Then the proposing score would be 2 to 1.

The way it will likely play out is that they'll have three scenes: one where she tells him about the role, another where she finds out it fell through and asks the mystery question, and a final where Leonard will come back with an answer for her (I imagine this will play out in a positive manner). Plus a few awkward moments in between. So I'm guessing this probably isn't a yes or no question if he's struggling to answer it. If it is getting engaged, I think it would end with him telling her yes once he comes back to it and understands she still wants it. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 1

And who knows, maybe the hesitation has to do with her hesitating to accept the part--like maybe there's a nude scene or a love scene or something and she hesitates on those grounds, maybe because of Leonard (would he be uncomfortable if she were to do love scenes or nude scenes)--and the ramification is that this other girl gets the part...

It's NCIS. I think nude or love scenes are probably out. Another possibility is the girl who gets the part is younger and that's why she didn't get the part

It's NCIS. I think nude or love scenes are probably out. Another possibility is the girl who gets the part is younger and that's why she didn't get the part

Whether or not there's a love scene or whatever depends on how the victim died or what the suspect might be involved in, etc..

There are any number of possibilities with that show's perps and victims.

Whether or not there's a love scene or whatever depends on how the victim died or what the suspect might be involved in, etc..

There are any number of possibilities with that show's perps and victims.

The synopsis makes it pretty clear that the part falls through, not that she turns it down for moral objections. If Penny's going to be an actress I think she understands that scenes of violence and sex would be inevitable in a steady career, especially if she were auditioning for a show that can be as grim (though mild compared to cable I'm sure) as NCIS can be. 

The synopsis makes it pretty clear that the part falls through, not that she turns it down for moral objections. If Penny's going to be an actress I think she understands that scenes of violence and sex would be inevitable in a steady career, especially if she were auditioning for a show that can be as grim (though mild compared to cable I'm sure) as NCIS can be. 

I didn't say she turns the part down.  I said that if she hesitates over some quandry about the role, that the role is then given to someone else--"he who hesitates is lost".  It's like if you're quibbling about whether or not to put an offer in on buying a house, if you wait to make your decision, someone else can come along and put in an offer and then the seller goes with it.

So, if she had some reason to hesitate, the casting agent picks someone else who will agree right away.

I'm not saying this is what happens, I'm just saying that it's one possibility for a Hesitation/Ramification scenario, assuming the title pertains to L/P.  It could totally be about Sheldon's attempts to be funny, or Raj's attempts to talk to girls.

Who knows?

I didn't say she turns the part down.  I said that if she hesitates over some quandry about the role, that the role is then given to someone else--"he who hesitates is lost".  It's like if you're quibbling about whether or not to put an offer in on buying a house, if you wait to make your decision, someone else can come along and put in an offer and then the seller goes with it.

So, if she had some reason to hesitate, the casting agent picks someone else who will agree right away.

I'm not saying this is what happens, I'm just saying that it's one possibility for a Hesitation/Ramification scenario, assuming the title pertains to L/P.  It could totally be about Sheldon's attempts to be funny, or Raj's attempts to talk to girls.

Who knows?

I just doubt there's anything she'd quander over assuming she knew what the part entailed when she auditioned. 

• Like 1

Oops, apologies to I.H.S.F.C. if I reiterated what they had already stated.  My bad ...

For whatever reason Penny doesn't get the part, NCIS is a huge show and something like that on one's resume would be a big deal.  I will defer to Tensor's knowledge of this but would that Penny already have her SAG card because of the commercial she did or not?

• Like 2

Oops, apologies to I.H.S.F.C. if I reiterated what they had already stated.  My bad ...

For whatever reason Penny doesn't get the part, NCIS is a huge show and something like that on one's resume would be a big deal.  I will defer to Tensor's knowledge of this but would that Penny already have her SAG card because of the commercial she did or not?

I'm taking this from what Tensor has said, but I think she'd have to have a SAG card considering that she got money (and royalties? I don't remember) from the commercial. I'm not sure if or how often membership needs to be renewed, or if you need to have had a paying acting job within a certain time frame of joining to maintain membership. Since the last paying job she got was in S5. I believe Ronald Reagan was president of SAG long after he'd left acting for politics, so I'm not sure. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 1

It's probably not all they're building it up to be, especially since it isn't a sweeps episode.

Sheldon tries to be funny?  Please oh please let Howard try to help him.  I would love a scene of Howard coaching Sheldon on comedy.

• Like 5

You can do non-union commercials and not have a contract in place and still get paid for doing the commercial.   Of course the more national the product or international the product the more likely you are to get a union role and contract for doing the commercial.  Once it becomes union, that is when you become a member of SAG (through membership application/fee process).   SAG is not free. You don't just get it.  You have to pay dues and you usually have to demonstrate some fairly significant work.   Penny may be borderline eligible.   She really doesn't have that much experience behind her and usually they want you to have had several non-union camera work pieces as well as a fair number of plays.   Lack of having a SAG membership could potentially have been a barrier in her getting the NCIS role.

I will wait until I read the taping report before talking about the 7.12 episode.  Right now I don't care to speculate because I honestly could go so many different directions with it and well I am not sure what these writers have in mind.   So I will zip it for now.  ;)

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 3

It's probably not all they're building it up to be, especially since it isn't a sweeps episode.

Sheldon tries to be funny?  Please oh please let Howard try to help him.  I would love a scene of Howard coaching Sheldon on comedy.

And have Sheldon start telling dirty jokes from now on?

To quote Penny: Tickets to that please :D

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think that her missing out on the role will have to do with not having a SAG card, since that's way too complicated to have to try to explain for the audience.  It's likely going to be something else, maybe something odd/funny, or maybe something that undermines her confidence, like they usually joke about her being too Midwestern or too perky or whatever.

Role-casting can be such a subjective thing, beyond just doing the lines, depending on the role, etc.

Anyway, like Stardust said, this could go so many directions...

• Like 1

Thanks Star for giving me the heads up.  I don't think you were poo-poo my suggestion of a non SAG card. 

@Phanta:  My main point was that NCIS is a huge show and not getting a part on that would have ramifications for her acting career.  You know that's twice today you've poo-poo'd my opinion.  I'm wounded... 

The reason why people are speculating that she might be considering quitting is because she's been struggling for 7 years and in that time has only booked a few gigs. One top of that she's now going back to school and taking classes that are not related to what she originally came out her for. That's called having a fall back plan and if Penny is doing that then that means she's at least started to consider the strong possibility that she might not be able to cut it. The NCIS fallout might just be the straw that breaks the camels back for her. She clearly doesn't want to spend the rest of her life waitressing at the Cheesecake factory and she isn't simply going to be happy being a theater rat. She wants to be a movie or televison star. It's looking more and more likely that this isn't going to happen for her. She obviously knows it because she's beginning to pursue other interests. She's started to invest more and more in her relationship with Leonard, which I think is at least partly due to this as well. One of the big factors for her dragging her feet with Leonard was not only commitment phobias in general but also not wanting to be tied down if her acting career actually took off, just look how most relationships in Hollywood go and you can see why.

• Like 4

Re: Penny's acting, I'd really like to see her explore the business world. She has a lot of common sense, good people skills, and is very attractive (like it or not, that makes a difference). We've seen her use these things to her advantage, and combined with the creativity she displayed with things such as the shoe app and Penny Blossoms, I bet she has a good business mind and would thrive in that environment. I'm sure growing up in and around family farms instilled some entrepreneurial spirit in her. Perhaps opening Brewbacca's with Leonard? 

I can see her getting work in things like commercials but not much else in acting. There are tons of insanely talented actors out there who simply don't make it for whatever reason. Taking that want and refocusing it would be a positive.

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 3

You can do non-union commercials and not have a contract in place and still get paid for doing the commercial.   Of course the more national the product or international the product the more likely you are to get a union role and contract for doing the commercial.  Once it becomes union, that is when you become a member of SAG (through membership application/fee process).   SAG is not free. You don't just get it.  You have to pay dues and you usually have to demonstrate some fairly significant work.   Penny may be borderline eligible.   She really doesn't have that much experience behind her and usually they want you to have had several non-union camera work pieces as well as a fair number of plays.   Lack of having a SAG membership could potentially have been a barrier in her getting the NCIS role.

I will wait until I read the taping report before talking about the 7.12 episode.  Right now I don't care to speculate because I honestly could go so many different directions with it and well I am not sure what these writers have in mind.   So I will zip it for now.  ;)

One correction.   If the project is a SAG project (and the the indications, for the commercial, with the national product and getting royalties are that it is a SAG project), you are eligible for SAG, regardless of your previous work.   One thing, is if you do join SAG, you are no longer able to work in Non-SAG projects.  You can't even work in non-union projects in theatre as Equity has a reciprocity agreement with SAG.   This would not apply to appearances tied to classes.   If we assume Penny did join SAG when she did the commercial, it would explain her not getting anything since, as it is more difficult) but still doing "Streetcar" as that was part of her class.  Remember, if you do join SAG, you are now competing for roles with other SAG members, a step up in the ability of the others you are competing against, it's more difficult.  

My daughter is an example, she had been doing roles (mostly leads or co-leads) in Professional non-Equity theaters and shows ( at Equity  theatres she was getting ensemble roles, but was not getting Equity pay.) After joining Equitym it took over a year before she got an Equity role, and then another year and a half of scattered ensemble roles.  

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2