S7 Spoilers

bigbangsheldon

Just a thought on why Amy imagined Penny and Sheldon. They already have a pretty blonde on the payroll and they want to get value for money instead of going for a new hire. These guys control their production costs, I'm telling you. :). Its a sweet, hermetic money making deal they've got going here.

I could be worgn.

I doubt that they're strapped for cash.

I doubt that they're strapped for cash.

Oh, they are rolling in money. They are just very efficient. I have this hypothesis that Messrs Prady and Lorre built TBBT carefully to work well and effectively. They are an indoor cat as Mr Molaro remarked, they don't splash out on wacky sets each week, and they have a carefully chosen coterie of affable talent.. And if they needed a pretty girl and they use Penny, it works on many levels, one of them being cost.

Also I call your attention to Mr Galecki's comment about how they don't want in known widely that they are not working the same kind of hours as say "The New Girl". And as a sign of application of efficiency also note that the prop master was one of the guys at the shooting range when Leonard popped a cap in his foot. I think they run a tight ship and they don't waste anything and they are masters of their format. Cost control is one of those things.

As i said, I could be worng.

I don't think it's about "how can we save money?". For something like having Penny come on to Sheldon, I think it really is about who it is that does it.

It's not about having just anyone coming on to Sheldon, so, hey, let's use a pretty girl we already have on contract. It was about Penny being who she is and coming on to Sheldon, who doesn't respond.

I'm sure that if they wanted to make the point with any random girl, that's certainly not somewhere where they'd make a budget cut.

The guy at the shooting range didn't have any lines and was just an extra. The function of Penny in the fantasy was specific to her.

They don't want to have to build new sets for Penny to have a regular acting job, but that's also about practicality. They'd probably have to pretape such things or it would complicate the current studio layout, and, more to the point, they don't necessarily want to tell that story.

• Like 1

I don't think it's about "how can we save money?". For something like having Penny come on to Sheldon, I think it really is about who it is that does it.

It's not about having just anyone coming on to Sheldon, so, hey, let's use a pretty girl we already have on contract. It was about Penny being who she is and coming on to Sheldon, who doesn't respond.

I'm sure that if they wanted to make the point with any random girl, that's certainly not somewhere where they'd make a budget cut.

The guy at the shooting range didn't have any lines and was just an extra. The function of Penny in the fantasy was specific to her.

They don't want to have to build new sets for Penny to have a regular acting job, but that's also about practicality. They'd probably have to pretape such things or it would complicate the current studio layout, and, more to the point, they don't necessarily want to tell that story.

I agree it has nothing to do with budget. It has everything to do with Amy's fixation that Penny is so beautiful and therefore a threat to her (whether based on reality or not). What other girl could she have dreamed of hitting on Sheldon that the audience would recognize? Bernie? Not likely.

As for Penny's acting career. If they are not interested in telling that story, for whatever reason, they really need to give her a viable other option of some semblance of success. She needs a heavy dose of self worth other than having a great friend base. It is just becoming very sad to watch on a comedy show IMHO.

I agree it has nothing to do with budget. It has everything to do with Amy's fixation that Penny is so beautiful and therefore a threat to her (whether based on reality or not). What other girl could she have dreamed of hitting on Sheldon that the audience would recognize? Bernie? Not likely.

As for Penny's acting career. If they are not interested in telling that story, for whatever reason, they really need to give her a viable other option of some semblance of success. She needs a heavy dose of self worth other than having a great friend base. It is just becoming very sad to watch on a comedy show IMHO.

I don't think Amy imagined Penny hitting on Sheldon because she sees Penny as any kind of a threat.  I think it's more about Sheldon being impervious to Penny because Penny is probably the prettiest girl Amy knows--therefore showing that Sheldon isn't interested in Penny.

The other reason I thought of was that in all of the fantasies, the friends manage to skewer each other--the fantasies are all vehicles to poke fun at each other, like Penny imagining that Leonard would wet his pants, then Leonard paying her back by having she and Zach wet their pants in his fantasy, all the fat suits, etc., so Amy's fantasy about Penny and Sheldon may be a way of telling Penny that she would try to hit on Sheldon (maybe she's hinting that Penny would be attracted to Sheldon because Amy thinks he'd be attractvie to anyone--like she did with Alex) and that she would fail, because Sheldon wouldn't be interested.  Either not interested in sex at all or not interested in intimacy before he met Amy (as he has said.)

I don't think it's that they're not interested in talking about her acting career in general, it's just that they're not wanting to have her get a steady gig, and therefore overcome her struggles.  They're all struggling to some degree, with their careers or personal lives and this is part of her struggle, as is the truth with most aspiring actors.  I would like to have them throwing her a bone a little more often--and this NCIS role is kind of like that--just to show that she's getting at least some bit parts, even if she doesn't suddenly become some kind of star.

Or maybe let her have a gig in some local theater productions.

Anyway, I don't think they'll ever go to either extreme for her--either getting a steady job on a show or having her abandon her career.

• Like 1

I don't think Amy sees Penny as a threat. She does she her as an extremely beautiful woman (although that hasn't come up lately) but that doesn't mean that she considers her a threat!! Before season 7 begun the writers actually said about the first episode that although Penny and Sheldon come closer Amy doesn't get jealous because she doesn't see Penny as a threat. Personaly I think that my best friend is an extremely beautiful woman but I know that she would never ever be a threat to me because she is not that kind of person to do something like that(just like Penny).

I think that the choice could be budget related but even if it is this is just a part of the reason she was chocen. As I said before Amy considers Sheldon to be a desirable man so in her mind it is plausible that Penny could be interested in him if things were different (if Amy didn't exist). Plus it had to be someone recognisable as you said and Bernadette wouldn't be as good as Penny for this. And these two are the only choices. So it had to be Penny.

• Like 1

Hahahaha! I knew when I pushed the post button I shouldn't of used the word "Threat". To all Shamy shippers out there I didn't mean it...really I didn't! I agree with both Phantagrae and Cecilia. What I meant was that Penny was the most beautiful girl Amy could associate with and therefore use her for the dream to hit on Sheldon. And by Sheldon having nothing to do with her some how makes Amy winning out over the beautiful girl. If you get what I'm trying to say. But I never have felt that Amy has thought her bestie was a threat to her even subconsciously.

• Like 1

Reading all these theories as to why Amy dreams of Penny hitting on Sheldon...to be honest, I have no idea why they had her dream anything period about Sheldon.  The whole point was "life WITHOUT Sheldon" so his being in the dream never made sense to me, nor having Penny hit on him made sense to me because we know that Amy thinks Penny is pretty, yet she also does not feel any threat by Penny.  So the whole dream makes no sense to me and I still wonder why they put it in the show other than I know Molaro has a bit of a crush on Kaley and loves to use Penny whenever he can.  He also loves to put Kaley and Jim in scenes together as much as he can.  There is no real explanation as to why this scene exists.  it stands out like a sore thumb because it makes no sense.   If they are all dreaming about life without Sheldon, he is not supposed to exist.  None of them would have been dreaming a single thing that included him because the point is that he doesn't exist as far as they are concerned.  Yet this dream includes him in it.   So I still am puzzled by why it is in there and feel it is the one thing that should have been edited out because it really does not belong in the episode.

• Like 1

Buried somewhere in the Shamy thread, there is a additional snippet of the show where Amy wonders if Sheldon will ever feel the same way  she does, that's when Leonard shows her the screen saver. Amy's dream might reflect her fear that if Penny can't interest Sheldon, what chance does she have.

Buried somewhere in the Shamy thread, there is a additional snippet of the show where Amy wonders if Sheldon will ever feel the same way  she does, that's when Leonard shows her the screen saver. Amy's dream might reflect her fear that if Penny can't interest Sheldon, what chance does she have.

I still think it was totally unnecessary.  I really don't understand the need for it other than a bunch of pervs wanting to see Kaley in a state of undress.   There really was no need for the scene. 

I still think it was totally unnecessary.  I really don't understand the need for it other than a bunch of pervs wanting to see Kaley in a state of undress.   There really was no need for the scene. 

And you got a picture of Sheldon spanking Amy?

• Like 2

May I suggest we wait for the actual episode, you made your point by now ;)

Maybe after seeing it, we will all agree with you that it was pointless.

As much as I enjoy it, I have to agree with you. Seems like a pretty weird story, because, like you said, they imagine a life WITHOUT Sheldon. So I don't know where this is coming from.

I really don't understand the need for it other than a bunch of pervs wanting to see Kaley in a state of undress.   

Yes, please.

Maybe after seeing it, we will all agree with you that it was pointless.

Not likely, 20 million viewers can't be wrong. After this 25 million is a real possibility.

• Like 1

LOL. I found the pic on tumblr, it's the only one I can find though (apparently I'm the only one searching in the Kaley tag. ;) ) .  I'm actually laughing at the scene already cause I can tell how over the top it's going to be.

I also think Amy might be teasing Penny that if she never met Sheldon this would happen (cause she knows what Penny thinks of Sheldon ;) ) then Penny's like, ewwwwwwwwww!

• Like 2

Though it could be that Sheldon has no interest in Penny and he has Amy as his screensaver.  To me it's a Pro Shamy statement.

• Like 2

The scene may seem pointless now but Monique posted all the dream sequences and not the stuff in between, that means that it could have easily come about because of a conversation the gang were having that was separate from the main "theme". People go on tangents all the time, It's likely to make much more sense when it airs. They wouldn't just stick it in there without any lead up or explanation.

• Like 1