S7 Spoilers

bigbangsheldon

I may actually cry when Professor Proton dies.  I feel affection for Bob Newhart, which has made me especially fond of PP.  This whole episode sounds like one of the most poignant ones they've done, while also keeping it funny.  I'm thinking maybe they'll submit it for Emmy consideration.

They very well could submit this one.   If I recall, for the show they can submit three.  I would guess this and Scavenger would be two that they would submit.  Not sure what they would pick for the third, maybe Romance?   Submissions are due March 17 so they still have three more that can be taped that could be candidates for submission. ;)

Delsino, thanks for the updates and the report in general!  :give_rose:

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

I hope the Star Wars references are general enough that you don't have to be an expert to understand them.  I haven't seen SW since I was a teenager (won't say how many years ago that was, lol).  I know the basics, but not the details.

As an aside, wonder if George Lucas knew Star Wars would be such a big deal it would permeate popular culture in this way.

Here is the 3:15 min version that is relevant to the setting.

Weird Al did a longer version for ep 1 (the ep the guys wanted to skip). This version got more than 7 mil views!

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

I just realized.. Penny quit her job in January, and now the show is set in May. Surely something's working or not working by now?

Tell me writers. :icon_cry:

That's a good question, I just can't imagine she had that much saved, or is leeching on L & S for some time already.

They need to address it soon.

• Like 2

The time jump is frankly baffling. I mean, they had the two major events of the season (SIK and Penny) and then suddenly jumped ahead 3+ months? Was it really necessary just to coincide Proton's death with SWD? Couldn't they have a SW theme episode in March? I mean, I understand ignoring small details for the sake of the plot, but 3-4 months for an unemployed person who was barely scraping by as it was is a long long time. 

• Like 7

Not every episode is based on a time or a seasonal part of the year variant. Professor Proton's first 2 episodes had no time of year aspect to it. Other then the date they aired those two episodes, it was irrelevant if it was the fall, winter or spring outside because the time of year didn't play into the storylines.

Not every episode is based on a time or a seasonal part of the year variant. Professor Proton's first 2 episodes had no time of year aspect to it. Other then the date they aired those two episodes, it was irrelevant if it was the fall, winter or spring outside because the time of year didn't play into the storylines.

Except that this one has.

Star Wars day is on May,4th.

Always.

The time jump is frankly baffling. I mean, they had the two major events of the season (SIK and Penny) and then suddenly jumped ahead 3+ months? Was it really necessary just to coincide Proton's death with SWD? Couldn't they have a SW theme episode in March? I mean, I understand ignoring small details for the sake of the plot, but 3-4 months for an unemployed person who was barely scraping by as it was is a long long time. 

It would make a lot of sense for them to film this episode now but air it in late April or early May.  The other two PP episodes have been aired during sweeps so it would be odd if this one were different.  As Melody pointed out, Emmy episodes are due in March, so if they wanted to submit this one they needed to film it out of order. 

• Like 1

It would make a lot of sense for them to film this episode now but air it in late April or early May. The other two PP episodes have been aired during sweeps so it would be odd if this one were different. As Melody pointed out, Emmy episodes are due in March, so if they wanted to submit this one they needed to film it out of order.

Right. That would make sense. But would they have enough time to film the episodes to fill up the slots in March if they film them so out of order? Wouldn't they end up running extremely close to the deadlines?

• Like 1

Well if you don't count this PP episode, they still have one in the bank and they are planning on taping this Tuesday, I think. Since there is no new episode till two weeks, they will have least have two in the bank and the PP episode before a new episode.

• Like 1

Then in this case, the episode taped next week would have to address Penny's situation.

Or at least mention something.

I hope so, it would make sense, since anyway you look at it, at least one month of show time has passed, so money should now be an issue with her or she should have had a little success, like at least another commercial, maybe for 'Priceline'. (LoL). I would love to see Shatner in an episode.

• Like 3

I'm sorry filming one episode out of order is fine, but filming ones that air in May now is just something I don't think TBBT will do, they don't even write that far ahead. 

The time jump is real.

I don't know. Perhaps when a big Big  name like Bob N is involved normal routine does not apply. For example usually celebrities play themselves on TBBT.

I don't know. Perhaps when a big Big  name like Bob N is involved normal routine does not apply. For example usually celebrities play themselves on TBBT.

Not only a big name like Bob Newhart, but possible Emmys at stake.  This sounds like a very poignant, unique, and funny episode--basically, Emmy fodder.  Also, it doesn't hurt that most of the emotional moments are between the two actors who won Emmys last year for these roles.

• Like 1

I should have explained my earlier post a little better. I just used PP's other 2 episodes as examples to show that not every episode has been based on what time of year or day it is.

With respect to Penny not currently being employed, We know that in Episode 14 (The Convention Conundrum) that she has not found another job. For whatever reason the writers don't find this to be of too much importance since Episodes 15 thru 17 make no mention of her employment. I imagine before Season 7 ends there will be at least 1 episode that delves into this subject.  

Edited by carl1970

With respect to Penny not currently being employed, We know that in Episode 14 (The Convention Conundrum) that she has not found another job. 

We don't know she hasn't in 7.14 for sure . She doesn't split the check with A/B but that could've happened any time in the show, even when she was at TCF. We just don't know anything at all.

Once we heard about the episode, my first thought was that they wanted to film it for Emmy submission but that it would not air until May sweeps.  It just seemed very odd they would have a show talk as if it was May two weeks after it was supposedly Valentine's Day.   Submission for Emmy's is March 17.   There are three more taping days between now and then.  

2/19 Taping 7.18 The Friendship Turbulence*  *Currently unverified.
3/04 Taping 7.19
3/11 Taping 7.20

March does not have any new episodes airing after March 13. If 7.18 airs 3/6, then another episode would air 3/13.   They tape again on 3/25 and 4/1.   After March 13, they don't air again until April 3.  So they have two fully edited tapes ready to go by then and one taped, but not edited episode.   We know they cut things close at the end of the year (starting in April usually) and so it could be that 7.17 is for later in the year.  

To submit to Emmy's it has to have already been taped.  Therefore, it is feasible that they knew they wanted this episode for sweeps and went for it.   As tmp said, it is a very poginant episode with emotions all over the place and shows the range of a lot of the actors.   It would not surprise me if they knew they had a good one for submission and wanted to get it laid to tape in time to submit.  I don't know if that is what they had in mind or not, but it would not surprise me.  

The one thing that strikes me is when they announced about Bob returning, it said later in the season.  That may have been a clue.

For all we know, it still could just be a strange jump, but I guess we will see soon enough. 

Edited by stardustmelody

This could also explain why the table is gone. There may be an episode coming before the PP one where they get rid of the table or mention it's reason for no longer being there.

LOL Maybe that is what the friendship turbulence is about! 

• Like 2