The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S7 Spoilers

In many ways this sounds like a bit of a filler episode which IMO isn't necessarily bad. There is just two story lines. it could of been part of the last episode. it's like the writers are trying to stretch things are out. I have no doubt it will be a funny episode but nothing really new. Having the episode take place in generally a couple hours does save the writers from explaining what's going on with Penny and her auditions and any further Shamy development. At this point Sheldon catching his mother in the act it would have been a bigger deal 10 years ago not now. He has heard and seen Leonard and Penny in the act for awhile now. His views on sex haven't changed because of them. Their not going to change because of his mother.

I think the difference is that it's his mother.  I don't know that it will alter his views toward sex as much as it alters his view of his mother and maybe shatters some of his boyish attachment to her, or his image of their relationship--she's his Mommy and he's her baby.  It's kind of like with his Meemaw when Howard and Raj were teasing him about Meemaw doing the nasty because she liked it.

Though in that episode he claimed to have no delusions about his mother, I don't think they ever really touched on his mother having sex.

And I also think it's important that he mentions her beliefs and his upbringing.  He's seeing his mother as a hypocrite for saying one thing and doing another (and this kind of disappoints me, too, but I'm not going to get into that right now.)  And not just being hypocritical about something like if she had gone out and gotten drunk, but something as extreme as having sex outside of marriage (which really is a big deal for someone with her beliefs.) 

I think he had a little hint about his mother's less than puritanical younger years in Rhinitis Revelation when she told Penny that once upon a time she could be had for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine.  Sheldon looked a little stunned over that revelation.

Anyway, so now it's not just finding out that his mother is having this sexual relationship, but that's compounded by the fact that he actually saw her doing it.

It's one thing for him to hear Leonard and Penny going at it in the next room, but it's quite another to actually see his mother having sex with a man, and one she isn't married to, etc.

I don't know that it will change his own attitudes about how and when he and Amy might have sex, but it could open certain avenues of discussion between them.  And if it also kind of breaks certain aspects of his bond with his mother it might affect his tendency to cling to his childish self.

I think that parent/child relationships do change when the child becomes an adult and starts acting and thinking like an adult.  You see your parents in a very different light.

But Sheldon has kind of avoided that transition, both through circumstance (being a child prodigy) and through decisive choices, even going so far, in RHinitis, as to try to cast himself as a different species so that he could remain a toddler in his mother's care.

But if he now sees his mother's feet of clay--and has that moment where he is both obeying his mother's punishment of sending him to his room and insisting that he's a grown man--it may serve to push him out of the nest he has tried to remain in since he was a child.

• Like 4

@kazzie-i had notes from the show, you did a great job you

knock it out of the park for your first time.

We have a star here She had the house rocking with her

singing

glad we had a chance to talk-have a safe trip home.

I know you could have died with that kiss from johnny.

• Like 5

@kazzie-i had notes from the show, you did a great job you

knock it out of the park for your first time.

We have a star here She had the house rocking with her

singing

glad we had a chance to talk-have a safe trip home.

I know you could have died with that kiss from johnny.

Hey, mjc, can you tell us the Story/Teleplay/Director credits for this episode?

So glad you got to enjoy the show!

Also, did you notice any behind the scenes stuff? :)

Wil Wheaton will be here

Wil Wheaton @wilw 6m

. @billprady what a weird coincidence! Look what I'm doing this morning! pic.twitter.com/piVmTAMT8F

Bh-9OJnCYAA6u8O.jpg

So the Proton one will be at least 7x21.

and I wonder what Will be involved with, probably another Sheldon thing?

And once again a different director, wonder why not use the same as the one from the Mommy episode?

Edited by Chiany

Well, 7x20 is the production number for this episode, but we don't know if it will air before or after the Proton episode.  I think we have 2 weeks off this month, after the 13th, for March Madness, don't we?

The Mommy Observation airs on the 13th and it looks like Proton and this new ep will air in April, I think, but we don't know which one will go first.  Or maybe they're saving Proton for Sweeps, so it could air as late as the 24th, if that's the start of sweeps.

Or I may be talking out of my butt... :read:

And once again a different director, wonder why not use the same as the one from the Mommy episode?

This episode will air as 7.19 though, right?

Maybe mark can only direct a certain amount of episodes?

I don't know if there's any kind of rule, but there are usually about 3 episodes a season that are directed by someone else.

This episode will air as 7.19 though, right?

I don't think we know, but if they're saving PRoton for at least the beginning of sweeps, which would be late April, then this one, 7x20, will probably air before Proton, so yes, as the 19th aired episode, I guess.

And I also think it's important that he mentions her beliefs and his upbringing.  He's seeing his mother as a hypocrite for saying one thing and doing another (and this kind of disappoints me, too, but I'm not going to get into that right now.)  And not just being hypocritical about something like if she had gone out and gotten drunk, but something as extreme as having sex outside of marriage (which really is a big deal for someone with her beliefs.) 

I think he had a little hint about his mother's less than puritanical younger years in Rhinitis Revelation when she told Penny that once upon a time she could be had for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine.  Sheldon looked a little stunned over that revelation.

Anyway, so now it's not just finding out that his mother is having this sexual relationship, but that's compounded by the fact that he actually saw her doing it.

It's one thing for him to hear Leonard and Penny going at it in the next room, but it's quite another to actually see his mother having sex with a man, and one she isn't married to, etc.

I don't know that it will change his own attitudes about how and when he and Amy might have sex, but it could open certain avenues of discussion between them.  And if it also kind of breaks certain aspects of his bond with his mother it might affect his tendency to cling to his childish self.

I think that parent/child relationships do change when the child becomes an adult and starts acting and thinking like an adult.  You see your parents in a very different light.

But Sheldon has kind of avoided that transition, both through circumstance (being a child prodigy) and through decisive choices, even going so far, in RHinitis, as to try to cast himself as a different species so that he could remain a toddler in his mother's care.

But if he now sees his mother's feet of clay--and has that moment where he is both obeying his mother's punishment of sending him to his room and insisting that he's a grown man--it may serve to push him out of the nest he has tried to remain in since he was a child.

Well put, Phanta. I couldn't agree more with you.

Edited by mothandfire

Anthony Rich has directed five episodes( 1-2 a year since 2010). He was nominated, along with Mark Cendrowski for a DGA award last year. His father, John Rich, won one of his Emmys for directing an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" in 1963, a show produced by Sheldon Leonard.

• Like 2

Hey, mjc, can you tell us the Story/Teleplay/Director credits for this episode?

So glad you got to enjoy the show!

Also, did you notice any behind the scenes stuff? :)

it was Reynolds,Holland,Ferrari-story

teleplay-Molaro,Kaplan,Del broccoli

dir.-Cendrowski

It was a long show, the first 2 acts took about 10 takes, and some mistakes.

Laurie did not show until the second half, know one knew she was there

Until she was with Jim at the house.

In the DVD with the space guy got to talk with the cast. He was there it was to see

That they want him to be at there show .

Proton could be may 1 close to the may 4 star wars

it was Reynolds,Holland,Ferrari-story

teleplay-Molaro,Kaplan,Del broccoli

dir.-Cendrowski

It was a long show, the first 2 acts took about 10 takes, and some mistakes.

Laurie did not show until the second half, know one knew she was there

Until she was with Jim at the house.

In the DVD with the space guy got to talk with the cast. He was there it was to see

That they want him to be at there show .

Proton could be may 1 close to the may 4 star wars

Thanks!  So was the audience surprised to see Mary?

I think the difference is that it's his mother.  I don't know that it will alter his views toward sex as much as it alters his view of his mother and maybe shatters some of his boyish attachment to her, or his image of their relationship--she's his Mommy and he's her baby.  It's kind of like with his Meemaw when Howard and Raj were teasing him about Meemaw doing the nasty because she liked it.

Though in that episode he claimed to have no delusions about his mother, I don't think they ever really touched on his mother having sex.

Yes, I agree. I think this is definitely a pivotal point for Sheldon and is also going to vastly improve the Shamy relationship. I think we are finally going to get more of the "man" Sheldon.   I am so happy for this story. :girlsmile::girldance:

• Like 1

I wonder if Sheldon'll tell Leonard and Amy about the trip or if he'll just keep it to himself and let it be something only he and Howard know about.

Idk in one hand it'd be a nice touch to the whole friendship between Sheldon and Howard but in the other hand Leonard and Amy's reaction would be hilarious to think about :p

• Like 4

I keep picking up on words.  

Sheldon once again declaring that "He is a grown up"

Using the word Love again ( although in reference to his Mom)

Openly discussing sex.

It has to be leading o something...

• Like 3

I wonder if Howard and Sheldon will still be on their trip to Texas in the next episode.