The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S7 Spoilers

I think finding the right girl for Raj is something even the writers find a tough balancing act with this current characterization. As one poster has mentioned, he has been designed to be someone who has extreme qualities which is why finding a perfect foil to that will be tricky. My two cents is that an unusual situation calls for an unusual girl, but how unusual is unusual? Allowing Raj to interact with these many girls at this point, allowing options to be open is the safest way to get that right balance. While he may end up dating one of the current girls - Lucy, Yvette or Emily - there is still the remaining option that the writers get whatever works with these girls and add more to formulate the right character to be Raj's love interest. 

Lest we forget this is how we ended with Amy Farrah Fowler as well.

• Like 1

I, too, want to see Raj become more confident and secure within himself before really being with another person. I think its only healthy that he should have that security because otherwise all his relationship ventures will soon fail since he will either become too needy or domineering, depending on the girl involved. I think I want to see him be single and date around to gain that confidence as he's working on himself. I think Raj as he is makes an incredible boyfriend. I mean, he can watch The Bachelor with you or play video games, depending on what kind of girl you are. He can make you a great meal and be the first to play fun games with you. That's really awesome . But he doesn't get that as a character. I think it's important that he does get that he's a catch before settling down with any of the above ladies. It's really just a matter of him getting past his neediness/insecurity issues enough to be the right person for his partner.

• Like 4

Of the three of them, I kind of liked the idea of Yvette the best, but I don't think we've seen enough of either her or Emily to tell get. We haven't seen enough of them or enough of Raj with either of them under "normal" circumstances.

I like that Yvette was a doctor and was willing to do something as "silly" as singing Katy Perry to a dog. And I like that she was genuinely taken with Raj without him having to do anything to try to impress her.

Anyway, I guess well see over the next few episodes in what's left of the season.

• Like 5

Of the three of them, I kind of liked the idea of Yvette the best, but I don't think we've seen enough of either her or Emily to tell get. We haven't seen enough of them or enough of Raj with either of them under "normal" circumstances.

I like that Yvette was a doctor and was willing to do something as "silly" as singing Katy Perry to a dog. And I like that she was genuinely taken with Raj without him having to do anything to try to impress her.

Anyway, I guess well see over the next few episodes in what's left of the season.

Personally, I liked Yvette the best too. But we'll have to see more.

Honestly, I want to see how his parents will react to him dating an American. 

Edited by wanmeii
  • Like 3

I've mentioned before, and I'll say it again, it's not realistic that Raj can't hook a girl. He's conventionally handsome, with a doctorate, in touch with his feminine side and, oh yeah, Richie Rich rich. In real life he'd be swamped. I can't imagine many women skipping over his dating profile, Stuart's, yes, but not Raj's.

Even taking into account the odd dress sense and social anxiety, he's a catch....... and have you seen what the hipsters wear nowadays (or perhaps I'm just old). ;)

In real life, he'd be the only one I'd date. :)

• Like 5

I've mentioned before, and I'll say it again, it's not realistic that Raj can't hook a girl. He's conventionally handsome, with a doctorate, in touch with his feminine side and, oh yeah, Richie Rich rich. In real life he'd be swamped. I can't imagine many women skipping over his dating profile, Stuart's, yes, but not Raj's.

Even taking into account the odd dress sense and social anxiety, he's a catch....... and have you seen what the hipsters wear nowadays (or perhaps I'm just old). ;)

In real life, he'd be the only one I'd date. :)

Well, the guy had selective mutism before but now that that's out of the way, he still has a tendency to be jerk-ish sometimes which I can see turning women off. 

He's like your GBF who you can sleep with, what's not to love?

• Like 3

He's like your GBF who you can sleep with, what's not to love?

I've always thought Kunal to be the looker of the group.  (My husband even calls him a p**** magnet, which I think is guy speak for "he's handsome".)  If I were going to date one of the guys, it would totally be Raj.

• Like 4

Well, the guy had selective mutism before but now that that's out of the way, he still has a tendency to be jerk-ish sometimes which I can see turning women off. 

Do you think the right woman might be able to tell him what he says is insulting but make it sound nicer than I put it, lol?

• Like 1

Do you think the right woman might be able to tell him what he says is insulting but make it sound nicer than I put it, lol?

If you put it that way, Emily has already put him in his place once, maybe she is the girl for him. I guess I like Yvette too. Lucy is not like the other two, I can't see her helping him at all, however that said, she is the reason he can talk to girls now.

I think Raj is quite handsome, and when he makes the effort, he can look very good, like when he and Penny go to his People reception. "I am resplendent as the noonday sun, am I not?" :)

But no amount of suave dressing will overcome the way he doesn't know how to talk to women. He wants to be smooth or romantic, but he struggles with finding his "normal" self when under the pressure of trying to impress a woman.

What I liked about his meeting with Yvette was that it wasn't a date and although Raj was over the top with his concern for Cinnamon, he wasn't trying to impress her and so he was able to talk like a normal human being.

He does seem to be finding his even keel with Emily in this next episode, from what I can tell in the report.

I think Raj is quite handsome, and when he makes the effort, he can look very good, like when he and Penny go to his People reception. "I am resplendent as the noonday sun, am I not?" :)

But no amount of suave dressing will overcome the way he doesn't know how to talk to women. He wants to be smooth or romantic, but he struggles with finding his "normal" self when under the pressure of trying to impress a woman.

What I liked about his meeting with Yvette was that it wasn't a date and although Raj was over the top with his concern for Cinnamon, he wasn't trying to impress her and so he was able to talk like a normal human being.

He does seem to be finding his even keel with Emily in this next episode, from what I can tell in the report.

Speaking in ignorance of the report Ive always thought Raj didn't like/respect/trust women and he just wanted to have one because everyone else did. He has come across as a very damaged individual. He should have a relationship with his therapist, because any untrained women is getting a handful of issues to deal with that would require professional skills. LOL.

• Like 3

he just wanted to have one because everyone else did. 

I will be honest and say that there are certain times that I watch the show, this sentiment resonates with me. Sometimes, it does seem that he merely wants to be in a relationship because he didn't like being the odd one out and can't handle the idea of being alone, which in my opinion is usually a bad foundation for any relationship. It would be wonderful if the writers put a twist in the next couple of seasons where Raj discovers the joy in "single blessedness" as he dates these girls. Once he stabilizes being happy as a single person, I think that is the perfect time to introduce his official love interest. Not that I am complaining with the current girls because I do believe this will contribute much to Raj's growth.

Edited by wanmeii
  • Like 4

I doubt that they intended to have Raj be some kind of truly damaged person or to be misogynistic. I think that they primarily just go for the laughs even though it might come across oddly.

I do think that he's lonely and wants someone to share his life with. I think that's the true sentiment that comes out when he drops his attempt to be cool or to be some kind of Romeo. In that way he's very much like Howard. Howard always came across as some kind of smarmy lothario, but though he was willing to go with any woman who would have him, in the end what he really wanted was love.

I think that's also true for Raj. He tries to create this suave persona in order to portray himself as a cool womanizer, but of course he just has no idea how to behave. I think he gets a lot of his ideas from Howard or from the internet or magazines, etc..

When he is able to truly be himself, he can be quite charming.

So I guess he has a long way to go, but I don't think he dislikes women or has a problem of that nature.

Edited by phantagrae

I doubt that they intended to have Raj be some kind of truly damaged person or to be misogynistic. I think that they primarily just go for the laughs even though it might come across oddly.

I do think that he's lonely and wants someone to share his life with. I think that's the true sentiment that comes out when he drops his attempt to be cool or to be some kind of Romeo. In that way he's very much like Howard. Howard always came across as some kind of smarmy lothario, but though he was willing to go with any woman who would have him, in the end what he really wanted was love.

I think that's also true for Raj. He tries to create this suave persona in order to portray himself as a cool womanizer, but of course he just has no idea how to. Shave. I think he gets a lot of his ideas from Howard or from the internet or magazines, etc..

When he is able to truly be himself, he can be quite charming.

So I guess he has a long way to go, but I don't think he dislikes women or has a problem of that nature.

I agree.  I think he's so desperately lonely that he tries way too hard and it comes across as creepy.  He needs to get the confidence not to be so desperate, which would help him relax and be himself.  He also needs a woman who will stick around long enough to see through the facade.  Oh, and the woman would have to be willing to accept that she will always rank #3 in his life, behind Howard and Cinnamon.  :)

• Like 2

I don't think the writers mean any character to be seen as "deeply damaged" people who need fixing, but rather as very imperfect people who are trying to navigate life with their issues and differences.

Having said that, I don't think they write these characters as not having some pretty huge flaws and as if they were part of a feel-good Disney fairy tale where even the cruel witch has a heart of gold after all. I think it's more complicated than that. I agree with Wanmeii that Raj is starting off with the wrong foot from the get go because of the reason why he's so desperate to be with someone. I don't think there's anything cute or healthy in being desperate for companionship. He has never been shown to have any standards that aren't physical standards or turn down a woman. I just don't see this as a healthy way to start off a relationship, when pretty much anyone would do just as long as he's not alone.

While him dating two women at once is at least a change from the norm, it still doesn't solve the problem that he is just desperate for a relationship. I think what I would want to start seeing is him breaking up with women and turning them down and start developing some deeper standards than "She has to be at least an 8" and maybe when he stops trying so hard to impress and land a woman he will be able to showcase what's good about him a bit more.

• Like 5

I don't think the writers mean any character to be seen as "deeply damaged" people who need fixing, but rather as very imperfect people who are trying to navigate life with their issues and differences.

Having said that, I don't think they write these characters as not having some pretty huge flaws and as if they were part of a feel-good Disney fairy tale where even the cruel witch has a heart of gold after all. I think it's more complicated than that. I agree with Wanmeii that Raj is starting off with the wrong foot from the get go because of the reason why he's so desperate to be with someone. I don't think there's anything cute or healthy in being desperate for companionship. He has never been shown to have any standards that aren't physical standards or turn down a woman. I just don't see this as a healthy way to start off a relationship, when pretty much anyone would do just as long as he's not alone.

While him dating two women at once is at least a change from the norm, it still doesn't solve the problem that he is just desperate for a relationship. I think what I would want to start seeing is him breaking up with women and turning them down and start developing some deeper standards than "She has to be at least an 8" and maybe when he stops trying so hard to impress and land a woman he will be able to showcase what's good about him a bit more.

Much of what you have said about Raj here could also be applied to Leonard from season 1 to sometime in season 5. I guess the difference was Leonard did not put his foot in his mouth quite as fast.

Edited by djsurrey

Much of what you have said about Raj here could also be applied to Leonard from season 1 to sometime in season 5. I guess the difference was Leonard did not put his foot in his mouth quite as fast.

True, but I still think there are a lot of differences between Raj and Leonard, even when Leonard was still very insecure. The main one being that Leonard didn't just chase any woman that looked his way and was very much focused on Penny for most of the show. He was/is desperate when it comes to Penny, but not just any woman just as long as he's not alone. I think that's an important difference between the two.

• Like 1

I kind of want Raj to end up with Mrs. Davis. I think they would make an interesting couple but I kind of like Yvette as well. I agree that having Raj dating both Lucy and Emily is something temporary and necessary for him to grow but they are definitely not the kind of characters that would make it into the group, they just don't strike me as quirky enough.

• Like 2

I will be honest and say that there are certain times that I watch the show, this sentiment resonates with me. Sometimes, it does seem that he merely wants to be in a relationship because he didn't like being the odd one out and can't handle the idea of being alone, which in my opinion is usually a bad foundation for any relationship. It would be wonderful if the writers put a twist in the next couple of seasons where Raj discovers the joy in "single blessedness" as he dates these girls. Once he stabilizes being happy as a single person, I think that is the perfect time to introduce his official love interest. Not that I am complaining with the current girls because I do believe this will contribute much to Raj's growth.

Maybe we'll see Kunal's prediction from season 5 about Raj becoming a playboy in season 8 actually come true.

aqu9ynan.jpg

Edited by Jaime

Which one could say is the reason they are all drawn to each other.  There is no one better than the other.  No one less damaged for lack of a better word.  They all have their issues and yet they can draw strength and support from each other.  

I am also going to throw this out.  While I know that the main goal of the writers is to make us all laugh, I don't think that they forsake character traits/development/whatever for the sake of a laugh.  I think it's an integral part of coping with one's issues/quirks to a certain extent.  Without getting personal, it's what I do...

True, but I still think there are a lot of differences between Raj and Leonard, even when Leonard was still very insecure. The main one being that Leonard didn't just chase any woman that looked his way and was very much focused on Penny for most of the show. He was/is desperate when it comes to Penny, but not just any woman just as long as he's not alone. I think that's an important difference between the two.

Yes, but while he was waiting for Penny he was happy to sleep with Leslie Winkle, Dr. Stephanie, etc.

Even if Raj is desperate, I don't think that he wants a girl just to have a girl. I think that is there on one level, which isn't really that uncommon, but I think that he just hasn't known what it's like to have a strong relationship. He dated the deaf girl and Lucy and seemed to like those girls for who they were and seemed to be able to be real with them.

I think he's willing to try dating any girl because he doesn't really have any particular person in mind to go after. Right now he's more or less playing the field because he's looking for someone to start with. That he "falls in love" immediately speaks to his eagerness and his inexperience with the real emotion more than to some kind of defect in his personality.

A lot of middle school/high school kids go through this kind of thing where they think that every crush is Romeo and Juliet or "Endless Love" or whatever. I think that's where Raj is stuck, not having had any real relationships with which to gain experience and figure out all the different levels of emotion and relationship.

I think that all of his talk about wanting a woman who's "at least an 8" is just part of the gag they do with him, because, as the girls pointed out, even though he says that, he'd still take any girl who would give him the time of day.

But of course he wants to meet a good-looking girl. EVERYONE wants that gorgeous person, if they're honest. But we want a nice person too. It's like what Howard was going through with Bernie. He balked a little at the idea of settling down with her because he had this fantasy of dating someone like a movie star, not a short, pretty catholic girl, even though she really liked him, and so forth.

The difference with Raj is that he hasn't really met his "Bernie" (or Penny or Amy) yet. Sheldon wasn't desperate for a girlfriend, but still had to figure out what to do once he figured out that he wanted Amy in his life as a girlfriend. Even though Leonard has been in love with Penny since he first saw her, he also had to learn how to be more confident before he could learn how to have a balanced relationship with her.

I think Raj simply has to get some practice being himself, now that he doesn't have to drink first, so that he can get some perspective on how to have a real relationship.

• Like 2

Anybody in California here? Hope the earthquake didn't shake y'all too much

No, but I am stuck in a snowstorm in Virginia. Another one...

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 1

No, but I am stuck in a snowstorm in Virginia. Another one...

Me too. I had to go to work this morning. Now I'm suck at work watching BBT with my coworkers :D
  • Like 1