The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S7 Spoilers

I think people use the word failure because Penny said she was a failure, because her acting career was going nowhere.

Even so, just because she uses the word failure doesn't mean that she is a failure.  While she may not be getting much traction, she has gotten some gigs, including the NCIS gig.  Just like Sheldon complaining that now he's dumber than Kripke or that Korean kid doesn't make it true.

It's frustration and a bit of hyperbole.  The mistake is when people believe that to be true when discussing her career.

When Sheldon found that his grant proposal work was way behind Kripke's work, he automatically assumed it was because suddenly Kripke had surpassed him in intelligence, which wasn't true, as Leonard and even Kripke asserted.  It was just Sheldon's ego at work.

In Penny's case, when she has frustrations she gets pessimistic, as many of us do, and views her life in the worst way.  Just like she was ready to throw in the towel and go back to Nebraska until she got the Preparation H commercial, she was ready to quit when her NCIS part was cut.  But her frustration doesn't mean that she's actually a failure.  It's just her frustration talking.

And I think most people know that most people trying to make it in Hollywood spend a good portion of their lives taking auditions, waiting tables, living on unemployment (as Jim Parsons did for many years), etc., before they get a decent part, if they do.

I don't think it is the intention of the writers to make her be a real failure, but they're not going to make her an Oscar-winner, either, just like none of the guys is going to become a famous scientist or win the Nobel.  If they're lucky, maybe one of them will get that tenure job.  Or not.

Her ups and downs are simply used as part of the story that's being told.  For a long time it was all about Leonard and his attempts to woo her, through shy badly done dates, to her finally coming around, to them breaking up, and so on.  Now that they've settled into a comfortable place, her career is being focused on as fuel for the storytelling.

And that goes along what I was trying to say. It was mentioned earlier trying to compare Penny to the other six is like comparing apples to oranges. But comparing a character on a tv show who is an actress to a real aspiring actor or actress is sort of comparing apples and oranges too.

Aren't you comparing characters on a TV show with real life physicists?  The apples to oranges comparison is based on the fact that actors fail to get parts all the time, that  is part of the life, that doesn't make them a failure.  Sheldon's failed to show String Theory works and hasn't gotten tenure, is he a failure?

OMG...this was like my third/ favorite ep. of the season ...... Sheldon was so darn cute when he woke up in bed the next morning.. ... and the end when he Left the voicemail on Steven Hawkings phone...  I also like that there seemed to be more scientific terminology implemented in this episode....  I love hearing Sheldon talk science ..lol .. I have a problem

• Like 5

I think we are getting to hung up on the semantic of the word "fail" here, and whether it is used appropriately to describe Penny's current situation or not. I never said I want Penny to have a big break, there are tons of actors who don't. And I never said that if Penny doesn't get a big break she is a failure as a person and an actress. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to see her getting some payoff from working so hard at it. And a cut role in CSI and an emhorroid commercial in 7 years does not really count as payoff in my book, especially when they have been used on the show precisely to make the point that they weren't.

Struggle and failing goes hand in hand. It doesn't mean one is a useless person in their career or that they're worth nothing. But if one doesn't fail, then there's no struggle, and, viceversa, if one can't struggle without failing. There's nothing wrong with using failure to show that someone is struggling. My "AGAIN!" was just referring to the fact that Penny herself has said "I have nothing to show for it" and they have had her fail at auditions repeatedly through the years. Her role on CSI might have given her some cash but it still meant nothing for her in terms of her career, we saw her depressed and drunk after the part got cut because she was hoping for something that would give her a little boost in her career, that people could see and hire her based on. I'm not saying they should have had her role on CSI be a success at all, I thought that was necessary at the time. But I think having her refuse Apeist, only to take it again, only for it to end with another unfinished project to be a rather lame storyline when it could have a lot more potential.

Similarly, I don't think it is necessary to have Leonard move in because of money. If they want Leonard to move in, they can find other ways to make it happen. Which is why they should have maybe saved the plot of him going away for a later season, since it went nowhere really. All those scenarios people had about Penny missing him so much while he was gone that she realizes it's time to live together because she wants him around all the time would have been much better, IMO, than him moving in to support her. 

Again, my bottom line is that I think there's so much more that can be done with Apeist and that would give Penny a chance to be something more than just one half of Lenny, and I would like that to be exploited more. That might just be me though, and if people are happy with Lenny moving in should Penny need financial help then of course I'm not going to tell you you're wrong or you shouldn't be happy. It's just different perspectives on the matter.

• Like 7

I think its time for Leonard and Sheldon to separate, I was all for them not moving Leonard in with penny until next season but the sooner the better for everybody involved and to get rid of this so called precious bond that Sheldon and penny apparently have, of which I saw none of last night

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 1

I think its time for Leonard and Sheldon to separate, I was all for them not moving Leonard in with penny until next season but the sooner the better for everybody involved and to get rid of this so called precious bond that Sheldon and penny apparently have, of which I saw none of last night

I think people are getting all worked up over the "precious bond" thing, too. Even if Leonard and Sheldon move into different digs, Penny and Sheldon will still be friends, and Molaro will still talk about whatever bond he thinks they have. It wouldn't really change a thing except the sets.

• Like 2

I think people are getting all worked up over the "precious bond" thing, too. Even if Leonard and Sheldon move into different digs, Penny and Sheldon will still be friends, and Molaro will still talk about whatever bond he thinks they have. It wouldn't really change a thing except the sets.

I highly doubt Molaro & Co. care if some on the forums complain about those two being friends (which they've been for most of the series), they know we represent a small portion of the audience. My dad told me that Sheldon and Penny's scenes together are his favorite because they're hillarious. The only ones bothered by it are some of the staunch shippers.

• Like 2

My 2 cents.

Fame is not an accurate barometer of success. Success in any career is determined by the ability to live comfortably on what you earn in your chosen profession.

Whilst it's the layman's view that fame brings money, it's not always the case. I have encountered plenty of people whose ambition is "to be famous" with no interest in honing their craft. My impression is that this was Penny's starting point but she is starting to wise up.

Auditions for professional roles happen during normal working hours. There is no reason why Penny could not work an evening shift. During my 3 year's training I worked evenings as a cocktail waitress, as well as serving in a fast food restaurant, and supplementing my income with occasional (well paid) modelling (which I had to bunk off to do) and some singagram work (mostly weekends).

For the decade I was active in the industry, I was an office temp and landed on average 3 or 4 acting jobs a year, which fits in with Tensor's 'resting actors' estimate.

Penny doesn't need to rely on anyone, but there's no shame in your life partner supporting you to achieve your goal. It's all about choice, on both sides; Leonard and Penny.

As for Penny and Sheldon's friendship, I think it serves to highlight the difference between their interactions with their SOs and makes their commitment to Leonard and Amy more marked. Juxtaposing this easy friendship with the pitfalls that come with deep emotional attachment only strengthens Lenny and Shamy IMO.

• Like 6

I typically like Sheldon/Penny scenes. But it's getting old for Sheldon to rip on Penny's lack of education and acting career. I thought suggesting breaking up with Leonard was unnecessary but Sheldon concluding that Penny was referring to Leonard was logical.

• Like 4

I like Sheldon and Penny scenes.  They have a sweet and funny friendship.  I'm a major Shamy fan, but I don't think Sheldon's friendship with Penny takes anything away from his relationship with Amy.

• Like 6

I typically like Sheldon/Penny scenes. But it's getting old for Sheldon to rip on Penny's lack of education and acting career. I thought suggesting breaking up with Leonard was unnecessary but Sheldon concluding that Penny was referring to Leonard was logical.

Well if the shoe fits....

• Like 1

If the writers do move Leonard in with Penny ( in my opinion they won't)... I can see some of the people here changing their minds to suddenly liking the scenario..

initially some of you  --- I want Penny to be independent blah blah blah.....
Penny's part gets rejected... she cries to Leonard...saying she has to go back to TCF......
Leonard ----- gets her a car / proposes to move in...

Penny   ----- happily accepts the offer.....

some of you ----  I know I said otherwise but I really like this....Penny was ready to go back to TCF....she was in a bad situation....blah blah blah blah.... :p

Well if the shoe fits....

More like beating a dead horse especially since Penny was trying to help him and he ended up listening to her advice over Leonard and Amy's.

Kenny: Have you got anything Big up yourselves? (Talking about Big Bang Theoryhere, sickos).

Do we ever! The gang is going to the movies. We'll meet a film director who believes he's too much of an artist to be doing a low budget horror movie. Plus, get ready for Kelton, a "cute-ish" and tattooed dude who runs into Sheldon and Koothrappali.

http://uk.eonline.com/news/530691/spoiler-chat-scoop-on-true-blood-the-big-bang-theory-game-of-thrones-and-more?cmpid=eonline-twitter&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_topstories&dlvrit=48939

A puppy dies every time someone makes that pun.

& promo pics. http://www.seat42f.com/the-big-bang-theory-episode-7-21-photos-the-anything-can-happen-recurrence.html

Edited by bigbangsheldon
  • Like 2