The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S7 Spoilers

I don't see it as a bad thing that they don't plan very far in advance.  The last couple of years I was obsessed with the show Smash (mainly for the music), whose producers/writers planned the entire season arcs in advance.  It was a disaster for the plot.  They had so much plot to get through, they ended up having to rush through major developments and depth was sacrificed.  By contrast, TBBT writers follow what feels right, which makes developments seem far more natural.  Regardless, whatever they're doing is working pretty well.  They're not perfect, but they're still damn good.

I loved Smash too!

• Like 1

Ehh, I don't like that kind of propaganda.

Obviously that’s not what the forty or so posters here are getting, but it’s what the forty or so posters at the HQ forum are. And for the 25 million who watch the show and post inane emoticon comments on Facebook, there are another 25 million who find the show abhorrent and distasteful. I am deeply unhappy to find myself joining this latter group.

All I can see is that you're speaking for the minority of the audience. Just because you have a "slightly" different opinion, doesn't mean we "don't get it". Get what? That Sheldon is indeed able to change? If you hate that show so much, why don't you just stop watching? Why are you here?

Btw, I will laugh about the Shenny HQ while I'm watching episode 7.23 on May 8.

Edited by FileXxX

I think if they changed Sheldon and continue to change him it can only be for one reason: the MAJORITY of the show's audience has responded positively to it. The first SIK video on youtube has over 3 million views. As long as people keep responding positively to the character's evolution, they'd be crazy to have him make a regression. 

Personally I find it intriguing where they have taken the character. During discussions with friends, we don't put it past Amy to possibly be medicating Sheldon on the sly, which would be questionable and quite despicable, but it creates interest. I like to see a guy like Sheldon deal with change and romance, all of these things are part of a normal human being's life, and keeping a one-dimensional character one-dimensional for 10 years would have gotten stale in a damn hurry. Heck, they even discontinued some of the most memorable running gags from the first seasons (I can't even remember the last time Sheldon said "Bazinga"). This is conducive of a show that keeps evolving and takes the pulse and preferences of its audience in mind. I know they could possibly kill the show if they rely TOO heavily on the romance issues, or the mundane over the nerdy, but it's a line I think they've been treading quite well so far.

Dunno, just my 0.02...

• Like 4

I think if they changed Sheldon and continue to change him it can only be for one reason: the MAJORITY of the show's audience has responded positively to it. The first SIK video on youtube has over 3 million views. As long as people keep responding positively to the character's evolution, they'd be crazy to have him make a regression. 

Personally I find it intriguing where they have taken the character. During discussions with friends, we don't put it past Amy to possibly be medicating Sheldon on the sly, which would be questionable and quite despicable, but it creates interest. I like to see a guy like Sheldon deal with change and romance, all of these things are part of a normal human being's life, and keeping a one-dimensional character one-dimensional for 10 years would have gotten stale in a damn hurry. Heck, they even discontinued some of the most memorable running gags from the first seasons (I can't even remember the last time Sheldon said "Bazinga"). This is conducive of a show that keeps evolving and takes the pulse and preferences of its audience in mind. I know they could possibly kill the show if they rely TOO heavily on the romance issues, or the mundane over the nerdy, but it's a line I think they've been treading quite well so far.

Dunno, just my 0.02...

Speaking as someone that works at a state agency that regulates stuff like this I don't see it happening because it's against the law.  The doctor prescribing her med would be yanked into a hearing and either have to pay a huge fine, be required to take classes (in person) and might even have their license suspended.  Now if you're talking herbal stuff I can see that.

I also want to see Sheldon deal with change and romance but it's going to take him a while because his social skills aren't there yet.  He's the type of person you have to say 'you need to do xyz' when it comes to his relationship with Amy.

Speaking as someone that works at a state agency that regulates stuff like this I don't see it happening because it's against the law.  The doctor prescribing her med would be yanked into a hearing and either have to pay a huge fine, be required to take classes (in person) and might even have their license suspended.  Now if you're talking herbal stuff I can see that.

I also want to see Sheldon deal with change and romance but it's going to take him a while because his social skills aren't there yet.  He's the type of person you have to say 'you need to do xyz' when it comes to his relationship with Amy.

Well they DO drink a lot of tea! xD

I wonder if Amy uses loose tea and a tea ball.  That would explain a lot....   :girlhaha:

• Like 1

I wonder if Amy uses loose tea and a tea ball.  That would explain a lot....   :girlhaha:

Yeah, they are nowhere near teabagging yet. ;)

• Like 3

Yeah, they are nowhere near teabagging yet. ;)

*snort*

• Like 1

Unless we are talking Long Island Ice Tea, because we have seen how those affect Sheldon.

• Like 2

Unless we are talking Long Island Ice Tea, because we have seen how those affect Sheldon.

And there are some alcohols that are tasteless so it would be easy for her to slip a little "lemon" in his tea.

• Like 1

I think that the writers have some major goal post ideas that they know they're going to get to at some point--Leonard and Penny getting married at some point, Sheldon and Amy progressing, Raj getting a girl--they just aren't tied to a specific timeframe. Or maybe they have a feeling that they'll do something during their current season, but maybe they want to save certain things for a sweeps period. Or like with Bob Newhart--they probably had an idea about what kind of story they wanted to do with him, but of course where it fell in the season had to do with Bob's availability.

So they can write all kinds of stories in between the goal posts and can write an episode or two that lead up to one of the major stories, or set it up.

I think it gives them a lot of flexibility without being locked into a strict order of events.

• Like 4

Ehh, I don't like that kind of propaganda.

All I can see is that you're speaking for the minority of the audience. Just because you have a "slightly" different opinion, doesn't mean we "don't get it". Get what? That Sheldon is indeed able to change? If you hate that show so much, why don't you just stop watching? Why are you here?

Btw, I will laugh about the Shenny HQ while I'm watching episode 7.23 on May 8.

Not to start an argument here, I feel in my waters that Sheldon is problematic. My rationalization is that he makes more people happy than unhappy, so now I don't bang on about his changes (it spoiled tmp's day once). Now it's just his GTB side that I get riled about. Not much else to say really.

Not to start an argument here, I feel in my waters that Sheldon is problematic. My rationalization is that he makes more people happy than unhappy, so now I don't bang on about his changes (it spoiled tmp's day once). Now it's just his GTB side that I get riled about. Not much else to say really.

No, you never spoiled my day.  I just mentioned I was having a rough day.  It's all good.  :)

• Like 1

But when has the writers EVER cared about realism. Howard wouldn't be able to go to space, the tenure situation, Sheldon foaming the board, the arctic fiasco. To name a few times they ignored realism or just plain common sense. For the sake of the show

I agree with Phanta.  I think they have major goals and direction, but the week to week stuff they write very close to taping time.   I think that way they can react to changes going on like the recent big bang theory breakthrough that occurred recently they were able to get written in quickly.   But also, it is like Mayim said, life always throws you surprises.  This way they can react to those surprises more quickly.   But they seem to always be in a trajectory forward in a specific direction for each of the characters and couples so I think they definitely have a plan on the direction they are heading and what goals they want to achieve.

• Like 1

You're absolutely right, but it wouldn't be the first time they've done that on the show.  Howard put something in Sheldon's milk, and Bernie mentioned putting Benadryl (I think) on Howard's ice cream. 

Good grief BangerMain dear chap, don’t drop that dead rat on our porch!

Sheldon was an adult in S1, an eccentric adult in S2, an eccentric alien adult in S3 and some form of camp robot in S4. The two episodes and several scenes where he was specifically portrayed as a child for comedic effect (Guitarist, Spaghetti, Thespian) only highlight how much of a contrast there is between such behaviour and his usual mildly pompous dignity. He was also highly emotional (I see Vintage Sheldon called an “emotionless robot” a lot around here…this is so preposterous I’m not even going to dwell on it) and generally well-meaning, as your own thread in the Show forum demonstrates. The infantilism (as opposed to childlike qualities) and outright malice, the callousness and the obnoxiousness all began in S5 and has continued to this current pantomime horse’s arse we have now.

I’m fairly certain that no Sheldon Purist I’ve ever encountered has been “reassured” by the massively gormless, rednecky, dummy-spitting and spiteful git of the past three years. Don’t blame this monstrosity on us by god! This is not our Sheldon at all. He’s long dead. They sawed the horn off the unicorn to try and turn it into a carthorse and the fecker keeled over.

THIS is the Sheldon the "purists" admire and want to return;

http://www.shennyhq.com/#!sheldons-quirks/c5sj

If you'll notice, the only thing close to the GTB (Nograv's Giant Tyrannical Baby) is 9# Sporadic Super Villainry...and that's not even genuinely malicious. Just sort of inept dastardliness. 

And let me prefix the next bit with mile-high neon flashing signs spelling out the words "In my opinion", as though that isn't obvious.

I’m not a romantic person in the slightest. I watch Casablanca for Louis and Rick’s friendship for chrissake. But reading some of the comments I've seen in relation to Stuart’s shop burning down and Sheldon’s subsequent likely collapse, make me feel like I’m bloody Casanova in comparison…Because is it not a little ghoulish to wish emotional and psychological breakdown on one member of a relationship in order to advance a “ship”? And is it not similarly ghastly that one member has to be broken down, traumatised, and robbed of his identity and purpose before he “accepts” the relationship? I hope to god that’s not what happens in the finale…

If Sheldon has to be in a relationship for whatever bizarre, unnecessary reason (The most frequent praise for early Sheldon was for how refreshing it was to have a character that wasn’t interested in relationships. So they put him in a relationship. The logic of this is hard to pinpoint.), don’t take everything away from him so the poor blighter has no option.

In a similar vein, WHY did Penny have to be fired before she could marry Leonard? Why the devil does everything else in their lives have to be taken away from these two characters before they can “commit” to their relationships? Surely Amy and Leonard are worthy of attention in their own right? I’m not fond of either character, but it bugs me how the writers are simultaneously devaluing them, whilst offering them up as the sole answer to both Penny and Sheldon’s problems, which THEY created as well.

I was initially drawn to this show because it seemed to portray a motley crew of misfits and individuals that had created a unique world for themselves, and stalking throughout this world was a self-sufficient and complex being of tremendous intellect and occasional lunacy, observing the foibles of mankind. I scarcely recognise them anymore, they’ve all become so bland and sitcom standardised.

For me, unfortunately, it feels like the whole show has become about hobbling the individual. The messages I’m getting from it are; “Your dreams are worthless” “Self-sufficiency is mere hubris” “Being asexual or single is unacceptable” “Bow to convention and normalacy.” The whole Trainspotting rant essentially. Which if you haven’t encountered is here; http://images.rawdod.com/14328-large.jpg

Obviously that’s not what the forty or so posters here are getting, but it’s what the forty or so posters at the HQ forum are. And for the 25 million who watch the show and post inane emoticon comments on Facebook, there are another 25 million who find the show abhorrent and distasteful. I am deeply unhappy to find myself joining this latter group.

As for the finale, I’m mainly concerned about Stuart, who for me is the only sympathetic character left. I hope Sussman didn’t argue with Lorre and get written out, post conflagration, like Sheen got written under a train. I like both Sussman and Lorre, the mad bastard. This might potentially cause a conflict of interest…

@Cecilia - I also admire the diplomacy, tact and kindness frequently present in your posts. If only I could follow your example!

I have little to add to this, you've captured it all so perfectly. Bravo! I don't find this a romantic story either. It's all about breaking people, its disturbing and delusional. Love should be given freely and this Sheldon is not an approvement. He's a squealing buffoon changed so he can be broken and reassembled.

• Like 4

You're absolutely right, but it wouldn't be the first time they've done that on the show.  Howard put something in Sheldon's milk, and Bernie mentioned putting Benadryl (I think) on Howard's ice cream.

Yeah, but that's just stuff they already had at home--Howard's mother's Valium or whatever, and OTC Benadryl. It's not like they were getting prescription meds for the sole purpose of drugging people.

I have little to add to this, you've captured it all so perfectly. Bravo! I don't find this a romantic story either. It's all about breaking people, its disturbing and delusional. Love should be given freely and this Sheldon is not an approvement. He's a squealing buffoon changed so he can be broken and reassembled.

Sez you.

Oh good, people moaning about "vintage and or "moany squeely" Sheldon

People need to face facts, Sheldon was never going to be ending up like that, the whole premise of the show is for the geeky guys to become more socially aware and I am enjoying every aspect of seeing Sheldon grow

• Like 3

Oh good, people moaning about "vintage and or "moany squeely" Sheldon

People need to face facts, Sheldon was never going to be ending up like that, the whole premise of the show is for the geeky guys to become more socially aware and I am enjoying every aspect of seeing Sheldon grow

Don't think I would say that was the "whole premise" but I agree that from the beginning Leonard attempted to broaden his social circle to include Penny. In Sheldon's case it was more thrust upon him. It has been fun to see also see Penny adjust to the guy's ways. Like when Penny explained Sheldon's spot to Bernadette or her recent line after she did not ask for an explanation of Sheldon's behavior.

Leonard: Aren't you going to ask?

Penny: What is this, my first day?

• Like 1

Yeah

Its just that there is enough hatred rambling about Amy and the terrible things she has done to Sheldon on the shenny hq site without bringing it back here again

Good grief BangerMain dear chap, don’t drop that dead rat on our porch!

Sheldon was an adult in S1, an eccentric adult in S2, an eccentric alien adult in S3 and ...[snip]

Really? In episode 4 of the first season we have:

Sheldon: Fine. We’re travelling forward at, good Lord, 51 miles an hour. Now let’s assume that your brakes are new and the callipers are aligned, still, by the time we come to a stop, we’ll be occupying the same space as that Buick in front of us, an impossibility that nature will quickly resolve into death, mutilation and… oh look, they built a new put-put course.

"...oh look, they built a new put-put course."

He is sounding suddenly like a kid and it is near the beginning of the first season!

He creates a luminous fish night light. Sounds like the imagination of a juvenile mind to me.

Leonard: What’s with the fish?

Sheldon: It’s an experiment.

Leonard: What happened to your scrambled egg research?

Sheldon: Oh, that was a dead end. Scrambled eggs are as good as they’re ever going to be.

Leonard: So… fish.

Sheldon: I read an article about Japanese scientists, who inserted DNA from luminous jellyfish into other animals, and I thought hey, fish nightlights.

Leonard: Fish nightlights.

Sheldon: It’s a billion dollar idea. Shhhhh!

A billion dollar idea? It's a joke. The point is Sheldon has had his childish tendencies from near the beginning of the first season..

• Like 5