S7 Spoilers

bigbangsheldon

Oh trust me I actually think this was needed and is for the best, its just a bitter pill to swallow atm. I love Amy and the thought of her continuously getting hurt and not putting her foot down just breaks my heart. Thats my only real issue in this scenario. I just don't want the writers to waste this opportunity to make both characters grow. Otherwise it was pointless and mean to just use Amy so callously as yet another plot device with little to no regard to how the whole scenario impacts her as a character in her own right. A character that deserves to be written with more care, empathy and respect than what I've seen them doing for the past 2 seasons. She's evolved way past how they write her now.

Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 7

Thanks Kaz and Del.

I thought I would wake up and this would all be a nightmare...nope.

I understand Sheldon's reaction and it is very consistent for him to run away from his problems, so I can't say that I am shocked. The only thing that really makes me angry is how he treats Amy, it's ridiculous. It is going to be a long 4 months, but I honestly hope Sheldon gets the reality check that he needs.

• Like 4

I don't think he'll truly understand and have that reality check unless the writers let Amy grow a pair and hold him off a bit when he gets back.

Oh I agree. If she acts normal when he comes back, I will absolutely lose it.

• Like 3

My feeling is if you're going to name your finale "The Status Quo Combustion" then you sure as hell better be prepared to show me something other than status quo in next season's opener. So my comment about growing a pair also applies to the writing team in that they need to have the guts to commit to this plot twist.

Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 6

My issue isn't just with how Sheldon treated her, it's with how the writers treat her as a character. They simply don't write her as a partner in a relationship, she does not factor into any of Sheldon's life decisions and even her friends do not consider her an equal partner in the relationship. I mean, how freaking arrogant is of Penny to think that it is HER place to tell Sheldon he can go off on his own without even warning Amy and then tell Amy it's "for the best"? It's not your coddamn relationship, Penny. You do not get to decide what is "the best" for someone else's boyfriend. But the fact that the writers still write Lenny as being an integral part of Sheldon's growth and evolution and Amy just a sidekick that pokes him with a stick for some sex and who needs to get a bit of screentime with him says a lot as to how they perceive this relationship. For that reason, I have no doubt she will be over the moon when he finally shows his face again next season. That's her job. 

I know that you're probably right about Amy and the thought makes me sick to my stomach. I don't see the comedy or point in making Amy look like an idiot that just constantly deals with his crap.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 3

I still have a few pages to read but after going through the comments I see several good points from different people.

-All these little things are dominos and are coming down one after another.

-Sheldon has gotten better at social situations but with all of this happening at one time it makes sense he freaks out and goes to the one person that we know can help him sort out everything - Meemaw.

-Even though Amy was only making a suggestion about him living alone or her moving in it was too soon to say anything because he already had enough to deal with.

-He truly loves Amy but needs to get away and have time to detox and then he'll realize he loves and needs her too.

-He's always had trains and a comic book store as something consistent in his life whether he lived in Pasadena or Texas.  Stuart's store burning was just another domino falling and Sheldon truly can't comprehend somewhere he's always been able to go for comfort is now gone and it may not come back.

-Him calling Amy shows he cares for her but he's so confused and stressed right now that he doesn't know which is up.

-Lenny letting him go was for the best because if they had told Amy she would've just gone after him and that would've made things worse because it would only stress him out to the point he might crack and do something crazier than go back to Texas.

I know first-hand why Sheldon reacted the way he did so while I was stunned when I read the taping report (THANK YOU, KAZZIE AND DEL!!!) after I thought about it it made perfect sense.  Am I happy about how it was handled?  Not initially, but as I said this is exactly the way I would expect someone with all of Sheldon's quirks to react.  He can't find anything positive in any of this, including knowing Amy loves him, because it's all jumbled together and he can't sort through it right now.

And that's my 0.2 cents.  :curtsey:

Well said, Anita!

As a teacher, I have taught tons of kids with Sheldon's quirks ( and I'm diagnosing conditions here). Whether you talk about S1 Sheldon or S7 Sheldon, changes to status quo can make them fly off the handle so easily and quickly. Many may not like what he has become and feel for Amy but I have been in Amy's position many times as a teacher of kids like Sheldon. They can be irrational for 10 minutes and then have a perfectly rational discussion with you when they have had time to reflect on their actions and be quite sincerely apologetic. I know he not Crazy because his mom had him tested but a Sheldon does have issues and despite what many have been saying about him and the writers' portrayal of him, from first hand experience I think his recent actions are quite consistent for someone like him. If he comes back in Season 8 like nothing has happened, it will infuriate the upset Shamies evident today but to me it would make sense if he did.

• Like 3

My issue isn't just with how Sheldon treated her, it's with how the writers treat her as a character. They simply don't write her as a partner in a relationship, she does not factor into any of Sheldon's life decisions and even her friends do not consider her an equal partner in the relationship. I mean, how freaking arrogant is of Penny to think that it is HER place to tell Sheldon he can go off on his own without even warning Amy and then tell Amy it's "for the best"? It's not your coddamn relationship, Penny. You do not get to decide what is "the best" for someone else's boyfriend. But the fact that the writers still write Lenny as being an integral part of Sheldon's growth and evolution and Amy just a sidekick that pokes him with a stick for some sex and who needs to get a bit of screentime with him says a lot as to how they perceive this relationship. For that reason, I have no doubt she will be over the moon when he finally shows his face again next season. That's her job. 

If this happens, then I will have one show less to obsess about :)

I rarely post but I have to say I don't get what is everyone so devastated about? I'm the biggest Shamy fan - and I am loving this. Sheldon's reaction is completely consistent with that of someone whose life as they know it is falling apart. He is very resistant to change, what may seem trivial to the ordinary person is life altering to him, the way he handles it is aligned to the character we believe him to be. Even though what is going on with his relationship with Amy seems really positive, it also represents significant change he is not quite sure how to process. Would someone like him being okay amidst these changes make sense in any context? This Shamy situation can provide a great catalyst for a very self centred character like Sheldon to grow through introspection. He needs to come to self realization about his feelings for Amy, perhaps lose her to really appreciate her fundamental importance to his happiness. Relationships are hard and become stronger for withstanding challenges. It can't just be smooth sailing, this rough patch feels authentic and I think overcoming it (let's be real, we know they will) lays a foundation for a for great things for our Shamy. I personally am excited to see where they take this.

Thank you!

Sorry but you shamys are looking at this from an complete shamy centric vantage point, how it effects them. You need to consider every single variable as a whole, blaming Lenny is petty and pointless, and blaming Penny because she dared shared her opinion as a concerned friend is also pathetic. She has every right seeing she and Leonard has known him the longest, that he needs to be on his own, and truley figure out if he wants to move forward with the changes hes made in his life, partic with Amy. This has zero to do with Penny overstepping the mark, Amy hd no idea where Sheldon is based on what the TR says, Lenny did. What was she susposed to do leave him their to stew, they know better then that. This whole thing qas four years in the making, was inevitable. The small steps and the more take then give Sheldon takes from the relationship, only deciding to evolve in their relationship when hes ready and on his terms ala the RA which she stupidly went along with. Pennys being saying this since s2. they need to let Sheldon no its not ok to walk all over ppl, and wat happens bo behold Sheldon gets a gf and all he does is treat her like a doormat. Its all continuity really, sheldon has progressed a ton this season with his relationship amy. Then suddennlly hes overwhelmed leaves, then rings Amy like everythings fine, four years Sheldon! Yes i know its Sheldon but something has to change.

I do agree too thst Lenny is key to his evolutionm while Amy is just a poking stick, or his doormat, who makes sex jokes, or Sheldon can treat like an actual gf when its convinient to him. And when its not he can just walk out. Lenny and everyone else do need to stay out of it, anothet thing Leonard a bad friend? Give me a break this is the same guy who has done so much for Sheldon the past seven years. I.e. Driving him to uni, comic book store, dry cleaning, ordering the right food in the right order, dealing with his hang ups and quips, his ocd tendenicies, hid habits, and generally living with Sheldon Cooper. The guy deserves a noble prize for surviving Sheldon Cooper lol. Now what he shows snarkyness or meaness. Or he only went cos he was forced too, hes a bad friend give me a break Sheldon should be lucky he has friends like Leonard, Penny, Howard, Raj etc. Life is all about evoulotion you either adapt or you perish, that is exactly what Sheldon is confronting, letting go of his old life and embracing his future with Amy, kinda like Charlie and Chelsie in Taahm. Facing your mortality is not easy.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

You should be more concerned about How Sheldon treated her. Of course he never has treated Leonard (and others) as equals so it's not surprising he doesn't treat Amy as one. Sheldon overheard Penny telling Leonard it's best that he goes off on his own. It's ultimately Sheldon's decision. Penny never told Sheldon what to do. If Leonard moves out they will be less involved in Sheldon's growth so people can stop blaming others for that. As @Kasey pointed out everyone has been enablers to Sheldon. Penny decided that he should let him  make his own decisions and you blame her for that.

• Like 4

I have to say I feel sad, for Amy. She deserves better period. She loves him. Not that it is OOC for Sheldon but to have your future with your boyfriend of fours years be dismissed so easily by said boyfriend is extremely heartbreaking. I keep thing how happy she was at then end of Cooper Extraction. She had hope.

But this is just a plot device (again) to drag things out between them. We now know what season 8 will be about. Was so hoping for something more inventive.

I have a question. When the phone call takes place in the Tag is Amy on her cell phone or the apartment phone. Didi he call her? or did he call Lenny?

[/quote

Of course there is a third possibility. Sheldon may be having such a good time that he did not call either. Amy could have called Sheldon and he decided to answer because he was in a good mood. Then that's why she was angry with Leonard because she realizes that Sheldon is enjoying his freedom without her.

Just an idle thought to ponder over the summer.

Edited by SodidIwin?

Morning guys.

I have had a lot of time to reflect on last nights taping. It was a very good episode for Sheldon.. this freak out has been on the cards and I think its going to be an amazing set up for Season 8. I like what they are doing with Sheldon's character BUT I feel the way they are doing it could be done better.

My gripe is, We got NO Shamy closure as all. All this build up with the shamy and we got nothing. Amy was concerned enough to try and find him after he stormed out, yet Lenny didn't contact her to tell her where is was. Amy should have been at the train stations as well, There SHOULD have been a moment with them there. 

x

Hope you had fun last night. I have to disagree with you about Lenny contacting her. How would that helped? IMO she would have tried talking Sheldon into staying. Amy coming would have made things worse. I think the whole idea was that Sheldon needed to figure his life out by himself. It's not like Sheldon/Amy broke up.

• Like 1

Morning guys.

I have had a lot of time to reflect on last nights taping. It was a very good episode for Sheldon.. this freak out has been on the cards and I think its going to be an amazing set up for Season 8. I like what they are doing with Sheldon's character BUT I feel the way they are doing it could be done better.

My gripe is, We got NO Shamy closure as all. All this build up with the shamy and we got nothing. Amy was concerned enough to try and find him after he stormed out, yet Lenny didn't contact her to tell her where is was. Amy should have been at the train stations as well, There SHOULD have been a moment with them there. 

Well I guess we have just over 3 months until Season 8 starts filming... If you think about it, We found out about the SIK over 3 months ago! You all better be here during the Hiatus and fanfic best be going wild.

As for me.. As upset as I am at the moment. Its not going to throw me off at all. I am still the same fan I was before I went in yesterday.  mean come on.. I saw Jim driving in his car! I have never run so fast in my life! ;) We still have at least 3 more seasons, And guess what? Anything can happen.. I will continue to travel to LA from London for tapings / scoops. I will be coming back in October at the earliest. (omg so far awayyyy :()

Now I have to pack for a Looooong ass flight back to London via Dallas with a 40 min connection.. The things we do!

x

Hope you have a pleasant and safe trip home.

One thought, I understand when you say there was no Shamy closure at the train station but I suggest that what good could have come out of Amy being there?  Would she have talked him not into leaving?  Would then that have resulted in him potentially changing to make things better for the both of them?  I think she couldn't be there because there needs to be a set up where both Sheldon and Amy grow individually first..

• Like 3

Hope you had fun last night. I have to disagree with you about Lenny contacting her. How would that helped? IMO she would have tried talking Sheldon into staying. Amy coming would have made things worse. I think the whole idea was that Sheldon needed to figure his life out by himself. It's not like Sheldon/Amy broke up.

I feel Amy should have been there. Amy always does whats best of Sheldon even if she doesn't want to. I just feel there should have been a shamy moment there. Even if it was just a goodbye. Theres been so much build up for them this season (post kiss) only to get nothing at the end. Call me biased.

• Like 6

Hope you have a pleasant and safe trip home.

One thought, I understand when you say there was no Shamy closure at the train station but I suggest that what good could have come out of Amy being there?  Would she have talked him not into leaving?  Would then that have resulted in him potentially changing to make things better for the both of them?  I think she couldn't be there because there needs to be a set up where both Sheldon and Amy grow individually first..

No, she could have gone there and be the one to let him go while Leonard and Penny tried to convince him to stay. He would have had the freedom he needed, and realize she's not pressuring him, and she would have been part of the decision making process with a selfless gesture, as hard as it might have been for her. But it's his girlfriend, and it should be her role to be there and see him off. It would have been a touching moment and would have made everything immensely better, IMO. 

• Like 5

Another line I forgot to add to the taping report. In the second scene when raj was bragging about sex with Emily, when sheldon is upset raj says something along the lines of "do you know what I do when I am upset, I have sex with with a girl, but that's just me" sheldon looks at him annoyed.

I will add that to the report when I am home. I am on my flight now :) Maybe when I have more than 3 hours of sleep I will remember more, hahaha :wink:

• Like 3

I'm glad others are finally realizing that Amy should move out of her relationship with Sheldon, as she has long outgrown it. I get that she loves him, in a more parental than romantic way, as having any sort of interaction will always be like interacting with a children. But love isn't always enough, I've seen a lot of great couples (which Shamy are not) break-up because they did not want the same things out of their life and relationship. It is extremely sad but it happens.

It is laughable to think this will magically prompt him to grow up. It won't. If he hasn't molded into something of an adult by this point he never will.

By that same token I can't bring myself to feel all that bad for Amy, as this should almost be expected. She should have figured out that he will never be suited for the kind of relationship she is looking for (he brought up marriage/family here, but she has expressed desire for that in the past). The scene with Leonard and Penny spoke to me in that it showed that all her friends are moving on with their lives while she is busy playing nanny to her so-called boyfriend, essentially stuck in the same place they were two years ago. I hate to say that she only has herself to blame for that. Penny has pointed out what a lousy boyfriend Sheldon is, she shouldn't be expected to drop everything and comfort Amy when she is proven correct.

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 4

No, she could have gone there and be the one to let him go while Leonard and Penny tried to convince him to stay. He would have had the freedom he needed, and realize she's not pressuring him, and she would have been part of the decision making process with a selfless gesture, as hard as it might have been for her. But it's his girlfriend, and it should be her role to be there and see him off. It would have been a touching moment and would have made everything immensely better, IMO. 

Agreed. And while Amy would have asked him something like "are you sure you want to do this?", she would have let him go. I see that as very IC for her. And I'm still bothered by Lenny not letting her know they figured out where he was, when they knew she was worried about him.

• Like 3

I guess I view it in a different way.  I love Amy but all her "selfless gestures" are beginning to ring like a doormat to me...

Agreed. And while Amy would have asked him something like "are you sure you want to do this?", she would have let him go. I see that as very IC for her. And I'm still bothered by Lenny not letting her know they figured out where he was, when they knew she was worried about him.

I'm going to throw this out - maybe neither Leonard nor Penny thought Sheldon was really going to go hence their non alarming reaction....