The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S7 Spoilers

When Newhart agreed to do the guest shot in season 6 one of the conditions he set was to return for two more episodes. This was how Chuck Lorre, who correctly views Bob as a comedy god, got him to agree. I'm not sure why Newhart wanted to make mulitple appearances but maybe he wanted to be associated with such a popular show and introduce himself to a new generation of TV fans.

I think he just didn't want to do a flash-in-the-pan kind of thing--as someone said, that sort of thing looks like stunt casting.  Fortunately, since Lorre and Prady, et al, know what an asset he is, I'm sure they were happy to have him available to develop.

Since his character has already been introduced, I think it will be more interesting to have him do some more stuff next time around.

• Like 3

While it was fine for one episode that was enough for me. I love Bob Newhart but to be kind he's a little past his prime. To me anymore episodes with him is like beating a dead horse. What is he going to add to the show?  Hopefully I am wrong and the two episodes he's on are hysterical. But I'm not holding my breath.

The first episode was used to establish the Prof. Proton character (it's not like they'd mentioned him before). Now that we know who he is and something about him, they are free to give us a better story. Now they could have gone a different route and used his Dr. Robert Hartley Character (as a college or teacher for Leonard's mother) (even the Dr. who said [incorrectly] that Sheldon wasn't crazy) and they wouldn't have had to do as much set-up.

• Like 3

He is a window into the future, too. What happens with celebrity..., though also a reflection on how celebrity has changed. Washed out TV star. I'm good with it.

Washed out TV star?

he is a warning to Penny that chasing a career in entertainment won't necessarily lead to anything worth having.

Um, yeah, no.  Are you joking or really being serious?

I see what he means. It's almost impossible to hang on to celebrity. Look how many actors you never hear from after their T.V. Show goes away. Hell, look at Lindsey Lohan. If it weren't for bad publicity she'd be forgotten by now. From what I see, the only way to keep yourself popular is to create your own production company and hire yourself to make movies or T.V. shows. Otherwise you're at the mercy of others who decide if they want to hire you. Or like Jennifer Aniston milk the publicity over her break-up with Brad Pitt.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

As stated by others I was referring to the character, not Bob Newheart. Newheart may not work as much as he used to but he is not washed up and I would never imply otherwise.

• Like 3

The Professor Proton episode had nothing to do with trying to hang on to celebrity or being a washed up celebrity.

Prof Proton was not trying to hang onto his past fame. He was lamenting the fact that his celebrity as a TV kiddie show star had eclipsed the fact that he was a real scientist, not just a kiddie show host.

He was only continuing to do the shows because the scientific community wouldn't take him seriously.

That has nothing to do with Penny's career choice or anything like that.

The Professor Proton episode had nothing to do with trying to hang on to celebrity or being a washed up celebrity.

Prof Proton was not trying to hang onto his past fame. He was lamenting the fact that his celebrity as a TV kiddie show star had eclipsed the fact that he was a real scientist, not just a kiddie show host.

He was only continuing to do the shows because the scientific community wouldn't take him seriously.

That has nothing to do with Penny's career choice or anything like that.

Penny is an aspiring actress, Pro Proton was a scientist kiddie show star like you said, that had nothing to do with Penny's career choices. But complaining that scientific community never took him seriousley. Unless Penny decides to take on a similar role lol then their is nothing Penny can take to attribute to her career.

For my part, I wasn't arguing with you, Phanta. I just assumed you thought they were talking about Newhart, rather than Proton.

It does apply to Penny though, Proton had minor success on TV but it cost him far more. Penny wants what Proton had; fame, success, and recognition, but Proton is the proof that it may not be worth getting.

• Like 1

It does apply to Penny though, Proton had minor success on TV but it cost him far more. Penny wants what Proton had; fame, success, and recognition, but Proton is the proof that it may not be worth getting.

Good point.  Hollywood fame can have its price.

I just said it was a window. They don't have to look through it. But TV does consume people and product. Look at Mischa Barton from "The O.C.". Easily what Penny could experience.

• Like 1

It surprises me that people can watch something like this and totally make up something that was never implied...

IMO.

People read texts differently. I'd offer that it's not even a controversial notion. He wanted to popularise science and his scientific career was sacrificed to that end. Then, ironically, he was washed up as a scientist and a presenter. More abstractly, he wanted something, gained celebrity (intended or not) and it changed his life for the worse. Maybe that wasn't the objective of the character, so not purposeful, yet it is implicit in his story and there is the cautionary lesson. That aside, it's probably going to be interesting and funny. Out on this. :) Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

I'm not going to sugar coat it.

I'm already had enough w prof proton.

Story done. Next.

Why bring him back? I know tht was the deal in order to get him on the show but still.

The show is coming down to the wire. We may have what 2 yrs left in the series? Maybe 3? Which I doubt. We can't waste eps like they use to. The fans want closure and movement. They already dragging out shamy's relationship.

Like the first hawking ep. Tht was ok. Kinda cool. Second hawking ep. I was done. Didn't like tht ep.

The only storyline that is is tht Sheldon takes over prof proton spot? But Sheldon did tht already in the last ep.

We will see...

Edited by Shamyfan

It surprises me that people can watch something like this and totally make up something that was never implied...

IMO.

And while I respect your opinion, it surprises me that you cannot see why people would think that way, and the way I see the episode, what other people have said is not such an unreasonable inference.

• Like 4

I think you might be missing the bigger worry about the Proton Resurgence. Is this going to be the career recognition that Sheldon didn't see coming? Professor Proton Junior?

NO!!!!!!!!

Aside from that I love the Newhart (I used to watch the Newhart show where he played a psychiatrist(Yeah, that old)) if they have something for real for him to do this time, I'll tolerate it better. 

If it is just a chance for Jim and Johnny to get their Bob worship on... it was sweet, but how much more do we need.

• Like 1

I sweet Jesus. I hope not.

Come on writers. Give us something good.

Edited by Shamyfan

I sweet Jesus. I hope not.

Come on writers. Give us something good.

Sheldon needs a career win.

But seriously, for an episode, the writers could ruthlessly flirt with Sheldon going full time as PPJ. There would need to be an intervention. It would be a great excuse to get Mary and Beverly in the same room.

I'm not going to sugar coat it.

I'm already had enough w prof proton.

Story done. Next.

Why bring him back? I know tht was the deal in order to get him on the show but still.

The show is coming down to the wire. We may have what 2 yrs left in the series? Maybe 3? Which I doubt. We can't waste eps like they use to. The fans want closure and movement. They already dragging out shamy's relationship.

Like the first hawking ep. Tht was ok. Kinda cool. Second hawking ep. I was done. Didn't like tht ep.

The only storyline that is is tht Sheldon takes over prof proton spot? But Sheldon did tht already in the last ep.

We will see...

What do you consider a wasted episode?  It sounds like you mean any episode is wasted that isn't relationship-focused.  One reason I like TBBT is that there are a variety of different kinds of stories they tell...career, nerd interests, friendship, and relationship stories.  I'm hard-pressed to come up with any episode in the series that I would consider "wasted"--though some I like better than others.  (I'm the first to admit that Shamy stories are my favorite, but the other ones are awesome, too.)  The show isn't ending anytime soon.  If they run for 10 years total, we still have almost four seasons left, which is 100 episodes.  It's fine.

I, for one, loved the Prof Proton episode and have heard a lot of people say they did; another one would be welcome.  Who says there's only one storyline they can do with him?  The writers are imaginative enough to come up with a lot of stories.

Please be careful saying "the fans want..." because no one person can speak for all of us.

• Like 7

Tht was my opinion. I never said fans.

I've heard ppl say that ep was ok not great. I liked the other storyline better. Thts IMO

I consider Speckerman ep ( my least fav of all series), the ep when the prof sleeps w Leonard( can't think of name) ep. and a few more eps "filler eps".

It doesn't have to be relationship ep. I love cast eps. Love car is one of my fav eps of the series

If they go 10 seasons. I will be shocked. I say s9

Like I say. We will see how this season turns out