The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S7 Spoilers

What do you consider a wasted episode?  It sounds like you mean any episode is wasted that isn't relationship-focused.  One reason I like TBBT is that there are a variety of different kinds of stories they tell...career, nerd interests, friendship, and relationship stories.  I'm hard-pressed to come up with any episode in the series that I would consider "wasted"--though some I like better than others.  (I'm the first to admit that Shamy stories are my favorite, but the other ones are awesome, too.)  The show isn't ending anytime soon.  If they run for 10 years total, we still have almost four seasons left, which is 100 episodes.  It's fine.

I, for one, loved the Prof Proton episode and have heard a lot of people say they did; another one would be welcome.  Who says there's only one storyline they can do with him?  The writers are imaginative enough to come up with a lot of stories.

Please be careful saying "the fans want..." because no one person can speak for all of us

While I actually agree with Shamyfan about Professor Proton and while you may have heard of many people who liked it many other didn't. I do think there is at least 90+ episodes left and we are not at the end is near point as Shamyfan claims. If I had money I would bet on at least 10. Right along with my bet that the Cubs aren't going to the World Series this year. As in regards to "filler eps" I usually think of most(not all) Shamy episodes as that. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Personally I think that Proton, who so tremendously inspired Leonard and Sheldon, the two mainstays of this show, and prompted Sheldon to say; “If it hadn’t been for you, well, who knows what would’ve become of me? You know? Instead of a world-class physicist, I could’ve wound up as a hobo. Or a surgeon.” is eminently worth a further one or two episodes.

Proton represents many things to Sheldon. According to script, he was a guiding light, which might have prevented Sheldon from staggering off the gibbering edge of insanity. Add that to Sheldon’s essentially reverse-adoption of him as “Father” in the final scene, and I think he could be construed as something fairly pivotal to Sheldon’s world-view, if the writers decided to go that way.

Proton would also add a much-needed generational dimension, which would stop the show from just being young people waffling about themselves. We used to have Gablehauser, and once a year or so, Mary Cooper stepping in, but otherwise their lives seem very age-insular.

As for “the fans want closure and movement”, I’m sure they do, but obviously they want it in different areas according to their personal affiliations. I’m a fan, and I want philosophical elaboration of Sheldon’s character, with Sheldon dealing with his place in the universe, rather than in society. I certainly don’t want some sticker-book sitcom ending of marriage, or coitus, or children. Fans come in all manifestations.

• Like 4

Personally I think that Proton, who so tremendously inspired Leonard and Sheldon, the two mainstays of this show, and prompted Sheldon to say; “If it hadn’t been for you, well, who knows what would’ve become of me? You know? Instead of a world-class physicist, I could’ve wound up as a hobo. Or a surgeon.” is eminently worth a further one or two episodes.

Proton represents many things to Sheldon. According to script, he was a guiding light, which might have prevented Sheldon from staggering off the gibbering edge of insanity. Add that to Sheldon’s essentially reverse-adoption of him as “Father” in the final scene, and I think he could be construed as something fairly pivotal to Sheldon’s world-view, if the writers decided to go that way.

Proton would also add a much-needed generational dimension, which would stop the show from just being young people waffling about themselves. We used to have Gablehauser, and once a year or so, Mary Cooper stepping in, but otherwise their lives seem very age-insular.

As for “the fans want closure and movement”, I’m sure they do, but obviously they want it in different areas according to their personal affiliations. I’m a fan, and I want philosophical elaboration of Sheldon’s character, with Sheldon dealing with his place in the universe, rather than in society. I certainly don’t want some sticker-book sitcom ending of marriage, or coitus, or children. Fans come in all manifestations.

I actually agree with everything you said but I don't understand what he's going to bring to another two episodes. In regards to a much needed generational dimension there are still many family members (Penny's mother, Leonard's father, Sheldon's Meemaw, Howard's father) that we haven't seen that could fill that void.

• Like 2

I actually agree with everything you said but I don't understand what he's going to bring to another two episodes. In regards to a much needed generational dimension there are still many family members (Penny's mother, Leonard's father, Sheldon's Meemaw, Howard's father) that we haven't seen that could fill that void.

I'd be exceedingly happy to see them as well. I think I'm interested in Proton in particular because he has vague nuances (to me) of the spectres that visited Scrooge...only far more pleasant.  The conception of a man being confronted by his destiny, in this case in corporeal form, is always fascinating. More so to my mind than incorporeal confrontation, which has less potential for empathy.  There's also elements of the Mocked Outsider, or man with a displaced purpose, in Proton, that mirror Sheldon a little, in my mind.

Edited by Count Wally de Honk
  • Like 3

The problem with those characters is that the emotional connection is different with every character in the main cast. Penny is the only one who would have any background with her mother, Leonard might like his father more than he likes his mother but Sheldon might severely dislike him over what happened with Beverly, Sheldon loves his Meemaw but no one else really cares, Howard hates his father and negative emotional connections create totally different stories. Proton on the other hand represents the same thing to both Leonard and Sheldon, a respected individual who acted as inspiration to pursue their eventual career. Sheldon may feel it more strongly, but they both feel it and even Penny likes him so anything that happens to Proton would impact multiple characters directly rather than just one.

• Like 2

Shamy  :icon_cry:  :wub:

Lenny look SO in love!

Aww Sheldon and Penny grocery shopping.

I'm SO excited for this episode!

Edited by AndyRenee
  • Like 3

I sweet Jesus. I hope not.

Come on writers. Give us something good.

Yes, you have seen the future, no Nobel Prize... Sheldon Cooper: PROFESSOR PROTON Jr.

Sheldon needs a career win.

But seriously, for an episode, the writers could ruthlessly flirt with Sheldon going full time as PPJ. There would need to be an intervention. It would be a great excuse to get Mary and Beverly in the same room.

Believe me, if there was going to be an intervention for Sheldon, that wouldn't be why.

• Like 1

The show is coming down to the wire. We may have what 2 yrs left in the series? Maybe 3? Which I doubt. We can't waste eps like they use to. The fans want closure and movement. They already dragging out shamy's relationship.

3 years is "coming down to the wire"? This show has oodles of time left in terms of TV existence. If it were a pet it would be like a tortoise, not a brine shrimp. :) (an oodle is a term for much or many: ETA to make this clearer, we have oodles of time because the show isn't going to finish for yonks :)) Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

3 years is "coming down to the wire"? This show has oodles of time left in terms of TV existence. If it were a pet it would be like a tortoise, not a brine shrimp. :) (an oodle is a term for much or many).

Please stop throwing the technical terms at us. We can only be expected to assimilate a few new concepts at a time.

• Like 3

Worrying about the significance of Professor Proton in some kind of big picture is kind of majoring in the minors.

I think they'll find some fun way to bring him back--I imagine we'll see Sheldon trying to do a PP Jr appearance (with disastrous results, I imagine--Sheldon trying to relate to children?)

But in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to be a make-or-break deal for the long-term storytelling, nor will it get in the way of anything significant.  The character simply offers the writers some additional story material to play with, much the way the gang's parents do.

Having an episode involving one of the mothers can be funny and interesting, but not necessarily significant in the big picture.  Like Rhinitis Revelation--the episode was about Sheldon getting in a fuss because, as Amy put it, his mother wasn't making him a priority, but rather, paying attention to all of his friends.

Did it change Sheldon's life?  No.  Did it affect any of the relationships?  No.  Did it affect anyone's career?  No.

It was just an interesting story about Sheldon and his mother, basically.

And that's as good a story to tell as any other, IMO.

An episode doesn't need to have long term impact to be important to the greater story, and most episodes won't, but the episodes without far reaching consequences are important, possibly even more important, since they make up the vast majority of the show. While Proton may not have a major impact on the overall story the fact that his character can be part of more than one episode is important since it doesn't require them to make another pointless character for a single episode.

• Like 3

Aww, what a pity. While I love Bob Newhart I must say that I didn't care for the Profesor Proton episode. And to think they'll waste 2 episodes on that...oh well.......

I liked that episode a lot, look forward to seeing these,  

• Like 1

Is someone we know going to next week's taping ? Too bad they have limited the amount of times one can attend a taping per production season. It means it can be harder to get tidbits from tapings in future...

• Like 1

They should just assign us a designated "Mole" and be done with it. Don't they realise that the Taping Reports provide us with the ultimately futile speculation, squabbling, hysteria, acrimonious assumptions, blood-letting, witch-hunting and repetitive hyperbole necessary to maintaining the intrinsic structure of fandom? Mark my words, they will RUE the day they banished us....

• Like 7

It always surpises me how much of the dialogue people that have been to taping reports remember! I only start remembering large chunks of lines from shows after multiple watches.

It helps that they generally do multiple takes of the same scene, but yeah I too am also quite impressed!