The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stardustmelody

Cast, Crew, And Bbt News

I have no opinion on absolute salary levels, but it seems unreasonable to me that KN (Raj) gets nearly as much as the big 3. Whereas the show couldn't go on without any one of the 3, Raj is quite dispensible; and he's such a crude character that the acting surely can't be comparable to that of KC, JP and JG.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

I have no opinion on absolute salary levels, but it seems unreasonable to me that KN (Raj) gets nearly as much as the big 3. Whereas the show couldn't go on without any one of the 3, Raj is quite dispensible; and he's such a crude character that the acting surely can't be comparable to that of KC, JP and JG.

The way his character is being written I would totally agree. His character isn't contributing enough to the show to justify that sort of money being paid right now.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

The way his character is being written I would totally agree. His character isn't contributing enough to the show to justify that sort of money being paid right now.

It's not Kunal's fault they give him shit material to work with.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, April said:

I agree, It's not Kunal's fault here that he is being given nothing to work with. It's the writers that are being questioned here not his acting ability, at least in my eyes.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, April said:

I absolutely agree with you. Not that it's my place to judge something like that because I'm not in charge of this show nor am I paying him but I think that Kunal is worth every penny that he is getting because I love seeing his face. If tptb want to pay all of that money and not give Kunal substantive material to work with,  then that's on them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamie_polly17 said:

I absolutely agree with you. Not that it's my place to judge something like that because I'm not in charge of this show nor am I paying him but I think that Kunal is worth every penny that he is getting because I love seeing his face. If tptb want to pay all of that money and not give Kunal substantive material to work with,  then that's on them. 

Indeed, perhaps it's very unfair (and I include myself in that group to criticize when it comes to what he gets paid and how much his character contributes for that). If they are happy to give him close to a million dollars an episode and kind of forget about him then that's their prerogative, they are the ones that decide all that.

I think the subject of money only gets brought up because of the clear lack of direction they have for his character and the future of the show itself when it comes to running costs.

The only bugbear I have right now with this show is the way they are using him these past couple of seasons, from poondog to 90% of scenes or story lines linked to the pregnancy arc. I feel sorry for Kunal, not financially but in terms of an actor and his craft he needs something challenging and better to work with right now.

The season is young so maybe it's premature to write off his character, just no more harems please writers.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonny said:

Indeed, perhaps it's very unfair (and I include myself in that group to criticize when it comes to what he gets paid and how much his character contributes for that). If they are happy to give him close to a million dollars an episode and kind of forget about him then that's their prerogative, they are the ones that decide all that.

I think the subject of money only gets brought up because of the clear lack of direction they have for his character and the future of the show itself when it comes to running costs.

The only bugbear I have right now with this show is the way they are using him these past couple of seasons, from poondog to 90% of scenes or story lines linked to the pregnancy arc. I feel sorry for Kunal, not financially but in terms of an actor and his craft he needs something challenging and better to work with right now.

The season is young so maybe it's premature to write off his character, just no more harems please writers.

I agree with everything you said, especially about the harem arc...oy...

looking back at what I said....

Ooof, I wrote my earlier thoughts while I was at work and in a rush and I don't think that I clearly stated my opinion on the matter of Kunal's salary so please allow me to backtrack a little-

I am a big believer in putting the blame where the blame goes. Kunal is not responsible for the material that he is given nor is he responsible for how much screen time he is given. That falls on tptb. In my opinion, they made/make the decision to pay him all of that money and not utilize him to a better degree. For me, I believe that he earns every cent that he gets because when he does have a line and he is on screen, he is spot on with his lines and timing, which is what I think that he should be judged on, not his storyline or how often he's  in a scene because none of that is Kunal's fault.

What's up with no talk show appearances?  Nothing planned or listed for the Thursday move!!

• Like 3

Can't find a more appropriate thread to mention that Mike Massimino has a spacewalking anecdote in the back of the current New Statesman (4-10 November).

• Like 2

Can anyone shed some light on all the rumors involving Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki leaving the show after season 10? Seems like there is a story everyday about Kaley and Johnny's salary demands, or Kaley being jealous of Bernadettes pregnancy, or Kaley's boyfriend being jealous of Johnny and asking her to leave the show  With CBS and WB not confirming yet a season 11 these rumors are running rampant.  I would suspect they have to make an announcement soon if season 10 will be the last so as they can have closure episodes. On the other hand another rumor has it that season 11 has already been agreed upon and it is just getting all the cast contracts to be signed. What's up with all this?

3 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Can anyone shed some light on all the rumors involving Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki leaving the show after season 10? Seems like there is a story everyday about Kaley and Johnny's salary demands, or Kaley being jealous of Bernadettes pregnancy, or Kaley's boyfriend being jealous of Johnny and asking her to leave the show  With CBS and WB not confirming yet a season 11 these rumors are running rampant.  I would suspect they have to make an announcement soon if season 10 will be the last so as they can have closure episodes. On the other hand another rumor has it that season 11 has already been agreed upon and it is just getting all the cast contracts to be signed. What's up with all this?

I advise you to stop reading these rumors. None of that crap is true.

14 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

What we know for now for sure is that they're currently in negotiations. Everyone went into this with the goal of making more TBBT seasons. The question is just figuring out a price tag that works for everyone.

Going from this there is the reasonable assumption that the cast is seeking a pay rise. Again, they're still figuring out the price tag so no details on this. Though there has been the suggestion that the cast -especially the original 5- are not so much after a huge raise but ultimately care about preserving the "legacy of the the show" or something along those lines, which points to them being not that greedy but just want to continue for one or two seasons and give the show a nice send off.

However, there's also the tabloid side of things that like to spin this as "cast seeks huge pay raises! show will be cancelled if demands aren't met!!" - right down to announcing nonsense like 10x07 being the last episode ever which... LOL I'm not sure why but Kaley has been singled out and made into this diva who wants all sorts of demands. Johnny is dragged into this by association. There hasn't been any credible source to any of this though. Some things are outright fabricated out of thin air.

For example: One tabloid speculated that Kaley might be jealous of Melissa's pregnancy storyline because it's getting positive attention (the linked to the Glamour article that was just praising the Bernadette storyline of that week). And from then on other sites picked it up and presented it as fact and twisted it further into some nonsense like "Kaley will quit if she doesn't get a baby, too!!11" /faceplam

So yeah, don't believe the rumours.

• Like 3

A lot of this speculation seems to have started when Kaley did that chat show appearance a few months back and said it was an expensive question when asked about the future of the show (something along those lines, can't remember the exact quote). Which is a fair point the show does cost a lot of money to make though I would think it still probably generates way more than it costs.

Anyways since then there seems to have been articles every week about the future of the show and in particular her future. 

I think it's pretty natural that there is so much speculation, when you have the no.1 comedy or around that ballpark on television and it's entering its final season (possibly) with nothing concrete on its future there is bound to be speculation.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jonny said:

A lot of this speculation seems to have started when Kaley did that chat show appearance a few months back and said it was an expensive question when asked about the future of the show (something along those lines, can't remember the exact quote). Which is a fair point the show does cost a lot of money to make though I would think it still probably generates way more than it costs.

If the reported production price of around seven million an episode is correct, it's generating a lot less than it used to.   Even though CBS doesn't pay that full amount, between the license fee and the salaries, it's not that far away.   With 11-12 minutes of ads, an episode will bring in (at 290,000 per 30 second spot) about ~6.3 million. While that is less than cost, reruns will bring in a bit more, so it appears they are at least covering the cost, for now.

But it's not even a couple of years ago when productions costs were in the 5-6 million range, and they were bringing in ~7.8 million an episode, plus repeats.  Any increase in costs, due to pay raises, may push into the losing money category.  Although Friends lost money their last two season, but NBC was willing to do that to use the audience to anchor the night for their other shows.  The question is will CBS.  

It's Warner Brothers that is making the money.  CBS covers most of the production costs, and then Warner Brothers makes additional money when they sell it for syndication.  

• Like 2

On 11/9/2016 at 5:58 AM, April said:

What we know for now for sure is that they're currently in negotiations. Everyone went into this with the goal of making more TBBT seasons. The question is just figuring out a price tag that works for everyone.

Going from this there is the reasonable assumption that the cast is seeking a pay rise. Again, they're still figuring out the price tag so no details on this. Though there has been the suggestion that the cast -especially the original 5- are not so much after a huge raise but ultimately care about preserving the "legacy of the the show" or something along those lines, which points to them being not that greedy but just want to continue for one or two seasons and give the show a nice send off.

However, there's also the tabloid side of things that like to spin this as "cast seeks huge pay raises! show will be cancelled if demands aren't met!!" - right down to announcing nonsense like 10x07 being the last episode ever which... LOL I'm not sure why but Kaley has been singled out and made into this diva who wants all sorts of demands. Johnny is dragged into this by association. There hasn't been any credible source to any of this though. Some things are outright fabricated out of thin air.

For example: One tabloid speculated that Kaley might be jealous of Melissa's pregnancy storyline because it's getting positive attention (the linked to the Glamour article that was just praising the Bernadette storyline of that week). And from then on other sites picked it up and presented it as fact and twisted it further into some nonsense like "Kaley will quit if she doesn't get a baby, too!!11" /faceplam

So yeah, don't believe the rumours.

Thanks for yr input.  I usually don't believe in the rumors but they have been running rampant lately that I thought some of them may be true

Hoping for some TBBT nominations.
Edited by vonmar
  • Like 2

Guest sladenoddy
On 11/9/2016 at 5:36 PM, FileXxX said:

I advise you to stop reading these rumors. None of that crap is true.

how do you know?