Cast, Crew, And Bbt News

stardustmelody

From The Wrap:  http://www.thewrap.com/chuck-lorre-dick-wolf-to-speak-on-building-tv-empires-at-hrts-event/

Chuck Lorre, Dick Wolf to Speak on Building TV Empires at HRTS Event

The Hollywood Radio and Television Society will host  Dick Wolf  and  Chuck Lorre  for a conversation on creating some of television’s most successful programming, the trade organization announced Monday.....

Chuck Lorre is co-creator/executive producer of the hit CBS sitcom “The Big Bang Theory,” as well as the critically acclaimed comedy “Mom.”

He is also the executive producer of the Melissa McCarthy sitcom “Mike & Molly,” while previously having co-created/executive produced the hit comedy “Two and a Half Men.” Before that, Lorre created hits such as “Cybill,” “Dharma & Greg” and “Grace Under Fire.”

HRTS’ partners Digital Rapids and Limelight Networks will present a live stream of the panel on Dec. 14 from The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, CA. 

chuck-lorre-dick-wolf.jpg

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that the cast is liberally populated with Jewish actors, but I can only think of two black actors who have been featured. I'm puzzled because I thought US legislators would push for a more cross-racial representation. Or is that just not of any significance is US television? This is a serious query and I would like to get some serious feedback. Thanks

16 hours ago, bigbangozfan said:

I've noticed that the cast is liberally populated with Jewish actors, but I can only think of two black actors who have been featured. I'm puzzled because I thought US legislators would push for a more cross-racial representation. Or is that just not of any significance is US television? This is a serious query and I would like to get some serious feedback. Thanks

There are no legislative diversity mandates for us television.  I don't think they cast actors based on their race, ethnicity or religious beliefs, and I think it would pretty ridiculous to do so.

I don't think the casting directors are looking to "liberally populate" the cast with any particular type of person.  That Simon and Mayim and Melissa happen to be Jewish is separate from their ability to act.

In the original pilot, there was no Howard or Raj, but they were added later.  I imagine Howard was intended to be a Jewish character, but Bernadette is a Polish Catholic character and Amy has no specified religious or ethnic background.

They don't choose actors or characters for their ethnic background, but for their acting ability.  The only time race matters is if there's a specific reason that a character is a specific race, like someone being Asian or Indian or black, dependíng on the set-up or the storyline.  And often a characters name may be modified to fit the specific actor cast in a guest role.

Ted Wass directed a first-season episode of TBBT, titled "The Grasshopper Experiment". Now that Mayim Bialik has joined TBBT, what does anyone think about the possibility of Ted Wass directing another episode of TBBT in the future?

Ted Wass was Mayim Bialik's co-star on Blossom, portraying the title character's father. Blossom was Wass's last acting role, and Wass has focused only on directing episodc television since Blossom ended.

From Variety: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/tv-best-supporting-performances-thanksgiving-1201648999/

TV’s Best Side Dishes: Supporting Stars We’re Thankful For

Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik // “The Big Bang Theory”

It's easy to forget way back when "The Big Bang Theory" was just the four guys and Penny (Penny! Penny!), but the show has become richer and deeper since fleshing out the female cast, despite some glitches, creatively and otherwise, in Sheldon and Amy's unorthodox romance.

06-bigbangtheory.jpg?w=683

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎27‎:‎23‎, phantagrae said:

There are no legislative diversity mandates for us television.  I don't think they cast actors based on their race, ethnicity or religious beliefs, and I think it would pretty ridiculous to do so.

I don't think the casting directors are looking to "liberally populate" the cast with any particular type of person.  That Simon and Mayim and Melissa happen to be Jewish is separate from their ability to act.

In the original pilot, there was no Howard or Raj, but they were added later.  I imagine Howard was intended to be a Jewish character, but Bernadette is a Polish Catholic character and Amy has no specified religious or ethnic background.

They don't choose actors or characters for their ethnic background, but for their acting ability.  The only time race matters is if there's a specific reason that a character is a specific race, like someone being Asian or Indian or black, dependíng on the set-up or the storyline.  And often a characters name may be modified to fit the specific actor cast in a guest role.

Exactly, very well put. I think like Raj on TBBT. Bill Prady said that it was based on people he new so maybe there was an indian guy amongst the computer programmers I believe he said they were .

Just as a reminder, tomorrow, December 3rd, is the last day to vote and you can vote more than once.

People's Choice: http://vote.peopleschoice.com/#!/home/all

TBBT...Favorite TV Show & Favorite Network TV Comedy

Jim &  Johnny...Favorite Comedic TV Actor

Kaley...Favorite Comedic TV Actress

Also..

Jim's movie "Home" is up for Favorite Family Movie

Edited by vonmar

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

Just as a reminder, tomorrow, December 3rd, is the last day to vote and you can vote more than once.

People's Choice: http://vote.peopleschoice.com/#!/home/all

TBBT...Favorite TV Show & Favorite Network TV Comedy

Jim &  Johnny...Favorite Comedic TV Actor

Kaley...Favorite Comedic TV Actress

Also..

Jim's movie "Home" is up for Favorite Family Movie

Thank you for the reminder! :) 

SAG Award nominations will be announced tomorrow (Wednesday 12/9)...

Anna Faris (Mom, The House Bunny) and Anthony Mackie (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Hurt Locker) will announce the nominees for the 22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards® on Wednesday, Dec. 9 at the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood, Executive Producer Kathy Connell announced today.

The nominations announcement will be carried live on TNT, TBS, truTV, sagawards.tntdrama.com and truTV.com at 10 a.m. (ET) / 7 a.m. (PT). SAG-AFTRA President Ken Howard will introduce Faris and Mackie. 

http://www.sagawards.org/media-pr/press-releases/anna-faris-and-anthony-mackie-announce-22nd-annual-sag-awards-nominations

The Golden Globe nomination will be announced tomorrow. (Thursday 12/10)

Angela Bassett, America Ferrera, Chloë Grace Moretz and Dennis Quaid will announce the nominees of the 73rd Golden Globe Awards on Dec. 10.

They will be joined by the previously announced Miss Golden Globe, Corinne Foxx, Hollywood Foreign Press Association President Lorenzo Soria and Executive VP of Television at dick clark productions, Barry Adelman.

The announcement will take place at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, and it will be live streamed on www.GoldenGlobes.com beginning 5:15 a.m. PST (8:15 am EST) and the “Today Show” will announce the second set of categories at 5:38 a.m.

Personal note: I m not as hopeful nomination-wise for TBBT at the GG.  The Hollywood Foreign Press tend to like shiny new things and an older show like TBBT might not hold much appeal to them, but who knows?

http://www.thewrap.com/angela-bassett-chloe-grace-moretz-to-announce-2016-golden-globes-nominees/

So happy that BBT got a SAG nomination. This is for SEason 8 or 9? Golden Globe bit far fetch. The way it works you take a member of the forum press out for lunch, you get a nomination ;). Hope BBT and Jim wins. Big Veep fan. But Big Bang my fav comedy series, and really deserves it for its big run this past decade.

4 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

So happy that BBT got a SAG nomination. This is for SEason 8 or 9? Golden Globe bit far fetch. The way it works you take a member of the forum press out for lunch, you get a nomination ;). Hope BBT and Jim wins. Big Veep fan. But Big Bang my fav comedy series, and really deserves it for its big run this past decade.

Golden Globes and SAG are both for the calendar year...so 2nd half of Season 8 and 1st half of Season 9.

SAG is actors voting for actors, it is what is called a "guild award"

The Golden Globes are voted on by The Hollywood Foreign Press which consists of 90 voting members representing 55 different countries.  

22 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Golden Globes and SAG are both for the calendar year...so 2nd half of Season 8 and 1st half of Season 9.

SAG is actors voting for actors, it is what is called a "guild award"

The Golden Globes are voted on by The Hollywood Foreign Press which consists of 90 voting members representing 55 different countries.  

Oh cheers, appreciate your views on this site. 1st half of S9 has been VERY good, so if they win the SAG it well be for that I think.

36 minutes ago, Ginny Hamilton said:

It looks as if TBBT is not nominated for any Golden Globe awards--just announced.

I think this just shows what a joke Hollywood is, they will nominate new shows but the thing is the public doesn't really think those shows are that good and that is why TBBT still leads, nothing on TV Is as good, when it comes to comedy.  New shows come and go, get their awards, then are never heard of again, while season after season TBBT dominates TV comedy, yet no awards, it defies sane reasoning.