Cast, Crew, And Bbt News

stardustmelody

11 minutes ago, notchinc said:

What's up with no one being on the talk show circuit these two weeks?  I feel a loss of BBT cast interviews..............

Yeah the last thing I remember is Kunal on Corden but I believe it was to promote his book. I could be wrong but maybe Johnny was on there fairly recently. But there is no big promotion for the shamy story line. Guess they are just depending on the internet. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, vonmar said:

TBT (Throw Back Thursday) photo from John Ross Bowie's IG:

johnrossbowieDid not realize I still had this photo. My first episode. 2008. I'm not smiling because I don't believe that it's actually going to recur. #Tbt #tbbt  1h

12345712_523901527770105_1265167295_n.jp

I didn't realize that this episode was Kripke's first appearance.  Seems like he's been around forever! :)

On December 10, 2015 at 7:44:16 AM, SRAM said:

I think this just shows what a joke Hollywood is, they will nominate new shows but the thing is the public doesn't really think those shows are that good and that is why TBBT still leads, nothing on TV Is as good, when it comes to comedy.  New shows come and go, get their awards, then are never heard of again, while season after season TBBT dominates TV comedy, yet no awards, it defies sane reasoning.

Well, the Golden Globes are always kind of out of left field and aren't really "Hollywoody".  They're chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press, as vonmar pointed out, so they have a very different taste.

On 12/10/2015, 7:44:16, SRAM said:

I think this just shows what a joke Hollywood is, they will nominate new shows but the thing is the public doesn't really think those shows are that good and that is why TBBT still leads, nothing on TV Is as good, when it comes to comedy.  New shows come and go, get their awards, then are never heard of again, while season after season TBBT dominates TV comedy, yet no awards, it defies sane reasoning.

Well the Golden Globes are not voted by peers, but the foreign press.   And they typically do favor new shows over stable existing shows.   It is unfortunate, but a reality.   Phanta and Vonmar explained it well.

The Critics' Choice Awards nominations will be announced tomorrow (Monday, 12/14).  The announcements will be made online via Twitter, Facebook and their web site: http://www.criticschoice.com/

Critic's Choice used to have two separate award processes.  One for movies and one for television.  This year they combined them, so like The SAG Awards and The Golden Globe Awards, the nominations will be for both movies and television.  For this first combined year, any movie released in the calendar year 2015 is eligible, but for television a program is only eligible for shows that aired between June 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015.  TBBT is eligible for possible nominations for their work on Season 9 only.

http://www.goldderby.com/news/10522/critics-choice-awards-movie-television-13579086.html

On December 10, 2015 at 9:44 AM, SRAM said:

Beautifully said, SRAM.  You put it in good perspective.  I hope the cast feels the same way--they win hands down where it really matters.

--------Ginny's Comment below--had trouble with "quote"

It disturbs me that Jim Parsons was not nominated for the Golden GLobe or, today, the Critics award.  Is this just a factor of his being nominated so often in the past?  The New York Times article on the Golden Globes called him "out of favor."  But why?  

Edited by Ginny Hamilton

6 hours ago, Ginny Hamilton said:

Beautifully said, SRAM.  You put it in good perspective.  I hope the cast feels the same way--they win hands down where it really matters.

--------Ginny's Comment below--had trouble with "quote"

It disturbs me that Jim Parsons was not nominated for the Golden GLobe or, today, the Critics award.  Is this just a factor of his being nominated so often in the past?  The New York Times article on the Golden Globes called him "out of favor."  But why?  

i would have thought it's because his character is just not funny anymore. just annoying. (not jim's fault i know).

Chuck Lorre took part in a Hollywood Radio & Television Society lunch event today.

From Variety: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/dick-wolf-chuck-lorrehollywood-radio-and-television-society-luncheon-1201661235/

Dick Wolf & Chuck Lorre: TV Biz Changed More in Last Six Months Than in Six Years

“Myself and the writers I work with, we write essentially for ourselves. Would we watch it? Would we laugh at that moment?” Lorre explained, adding that the “secret sauce” to a successful show — no matter the industry’s evolution — is creating a character where the audience says, “I care what happens to you.” With a laugh, he stressed the importance of using a live-studio audience as a focus group of sorts. “I’m the stegosaurus who’s still working in front of an audience… It terrifies me every week… But at the same time, when you hear the audience viscerally laughing out loud, it’s the most gratifying thing in the world.”

HRTS Chuck Lorre Warren Littlefield Dick

59 minutes ago, ajond said:

i would have thought it's because his character is just not funny anymore. just annoying. (not jim's fault i know).

The golden globes hardly ever vote for the same things as other shows or the same people over again, the way the Emmys or SAG  awards might.

Just becaus the GGs don't nominate him doesn't mean that his character has become annoying.  You or other fans might like to say that, but that's not what such groups looks at.  If his character is intended to be annoying (and I don't find Sheldon annoying) then he would be doing a great job with his character, wouldn't he?

If the awards shows are awarding good acting, and an actor is portraying what the script calls for, and doing it in a skilled and memorable way, then that's what their looking at, not what the writing is asking for.

If the awards shows were to find Jim annoying, then that would be another thing, or if they felt the show wasn't being written well.  Maybe they do find other characters to be more interesting this season, but I don't think they're sitting around griping that Sheldon as a character has become too annoying, therefore Jim doesn't deserve to be nominated.

They've always favored, apparently, the new and fresh or innovative, so they're always looking at new or edgy things, especially for television.  A long standing show like TBBT isn't likely to gain as much attention as something like "Transparent".

I just think Jim's time has come and gone. Maybe for the shows chances to. He has already won a handful of Emmy's and a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Sheldon. Maybe at this point, he is not offering anything new to the panel. Not saying his acting performance has dropped, quite the contrary. Just these shows generally lean towards Shows or Actors who are shiny and bright. Consistent, reliable, traditional don't seem to fly with these awards shows. Jim might just be out of favour, as is the show. But he gets nominated for PCA's because he is still very popular as is Johnny and Kaley.

Edited by 3ku11

26 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I just think Jim's time has come and gone. Maybe for the shows chances to. He has already won a handful of Emmy's and a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Sheldon. Maybe at this point, he is not offering anything new to the panel. Not saying his acting performance has dropped, quite the contrary. Just these shows generally lean towards Shows or Actors who are shiny and bright. Consistent, reliable, traditional don't seem to fly with these awards shows. Jim might just be out of favour, as is the show. But he gets nominated for PCA's because he is still very popular as is Johnny and Kaley.

I agree.

The medium has changed so much since 2007.  TBBT and it's actors are hampered by the fact that they are a multi-camera show, on a traditional network, airing in prime time.  Censors limit what they can get away with, so not so edgy.   Shows (that call themselves comedies) on cable and streaming services can get away with just about anything, so they look fresher and hipper.  I don't know if the cast or the show cares about awards, I'd bet money they care about ratings and viewers.  TBBT is still very strong in both those areas.

2 hours ago, vonmar said:

I agree.

The medium has changed so much since 2007.  TBBT and it's actors are hampered by the fact that they are a multi-camera show, on a traditional network, airing in prime time.  Censors limit what they can get away with, so not so edgy.   Shows (that call themselves comedies) on cable and streaming services can get away with just about anything, so they look fresher and hipper.  I don't know if the cast or the show cares about awards, I'd bet money they care about ratings and viewers.  TBBT is still very strong in both those areas.

the networks, studios and the advertisers who ultimately pay the paychecks care about ratings aka network is not going anywhere.  Some hours/nights you'd have to buy over 25 cable networks to touch the number of eyeballs you'd get with one spot on network TV.  Now if you buy spot TV cable vs. network that number doubles if not even more.  Those that freak when they see ratings going down and thinking "oh no" are mislead.  Yes the medium has changed and advertisers are getting savy to how they spend there money but there is no medium that delivers better that TV.  More than 75%+ of advertising dollars are still placed on TV, with over 65%+ of that in some form of network TV.  And not just network TV, but those network TV stations which air the majority of high profile syndication.  

And thats kinda what Chuck & especially Dick said.  Dick said they make shows for years and years of appeal AKA syndication futures.  A lot of the "hits" on cable would falter horribly in syndication because the shelf-life just isn't there.  While all actors what to be noted for their work, in the big scheme of things, money goes to what makes money.  

Also...just a little background in case anybody cares, but on cable TV (not paid cable or services like netflix/hulu) advertisers locally can not buy internal breaks.  Those are sold 100% through the cable nets.  So NCC who sells network cable for all 210 DMAs has absolutely no internal breaks to offers advertisers both for national dollars or local dollars.  So while Walking Dead is the highest rated non-paid cable show, its almost impossible for most advertisers to get their spots in the actual program, they can get lead-in/lead-out breaks bought on a rotation.  This is not the case for the networks.  In a standard program like Big Bang, there are 4 breaks, and 2 breaks are sold 100% by the network, and 2 breaks are for the affiliates to sell spots locally & nationally.  So again, a lot of smoke & mirrors for cable.  Ok...nerding done.

Edited by kerrycec03

5 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

the networks and the advertisers who ultimately pay the paychecks care about ratings aka network is not going anywhere.  And thats kinda what Chuck & especially Dick said.  Dick said they make shows for years and years of appeal AKA syndication futures.  A lot of the "hits" on cable would falter horribly in syndication because the shelf-life just isn't there.  While all actors what to be noted for their work, in the big scheme of things, money goes to what makes money.  

How could they even syndicate some of these cable shows? I think everyone at TBBT is happy to get any nomination, but unconcerned when they don't.

Just now, vonmar said:

How could they even syndicate some of these cable shows? I think everyone at TBBT is happy to get any nomination, but unconcerned when they don't.

well they do syndicate non-paid cable shows.  Like Walking Dead for instance that airs on MyNet.  But for shows like Breaking Bad & Mad Men it would never work.  Any "binge style" program would suck in syndication.  And again, that was Dick's point.  A LOT more money to be made in syndication.  Lets be honest, Chuck & Dick's pockets are full from syndication.  Both have so many syndication deals going on for the last 20+ years.  Dick actually probably trumps Chuck in this category because I "think" one of the L&O's airs SOMEWHERE every single hour of the day lol.  

Now paid-cable shows, some do ok in syndication like Sex & The City, but its not even top 20 breaker for syndication because more networks wouldn't even consider adding it to their fringe dayparts.  So it airs on cable and does dismal.  

and aside from that, paid-cable shows aren't designed for syndication style breaks.  It would be a mess. LOL

Thank you all for this conversation about awards vs. ratings, traditional network programs vs. cable, etc.  Bottom line for me is that I have seen Jim especially move his character, allowed Sheldon to grow and change as a real person would, as a complex person would.  His acting is so subtle, so beautiful in its sensitivity.  ANd I want him to be rewarded for that.  Of course, he is:  the ratings, the income, the solid following, and yes, still nominations after all these years.  So I want to believe those of you who say he's fine with what's happening, not feeling.....slapped.

5 minutes ago, Ginny Hamilton said:

Thank you all for this conversation about awards vs. ratings, traditional network programs vs. cable, etc.  Bottom line for me is that I have seen Jim especially move his character, allowed Sheldon to grow and change as a real person would, as a complex person would.  His acting is so subtle, so beautiful in its sensitivity.  ANd I want him to be rewarded for that.  Of course, he is:  the ratings, the income, the solid following, and yes, still nominations after all these years.  So I want to believe those of you who say he's fine with what's happening, not feeling.....slapped.

Now I'm not Jim BUT what I think he'd be extremely proud of receiving a nomination for is his work this past summer on An Act of God.  As a theater buff thats his home & his real calling and while exhausting, he was so proud of that project.  So if he got a Tony nomination (which I am hopeful he will in his career at some point cause I'm not sure AAOG will get him there ESPECIALLY now that Hamilton is probably going to nabs for best actor & BUT thats a musical so who knows...JMO as a broadway follower) I think that would be perfection for him and a dream.  

Edited by kerrycec03

3 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

Now I'm not Jim BUT what I think he'd be extremely proud of receiving a nomination for is his work this past summer on An Act of God.  As a theater buff thats his home & his real calling and while exhausting, he was so proud of that project.  So if he got a Tony nomination (which I am hopeful he will in his career at some point cause I'm not sure AAOG will get him there ESPECIALLY now that Hamilton is probably going to nabs for best actor & BUT thats a musical so who knows...JMO as a broadway follower) I think that would be perfection for him and a dream.  

Play and Musical are different categories, Hamilton would be considered on the musical side and AAOG would be on the play side. So I am very optimistic for him, regarding the Tony's.  The voters just need to have long memories, back to last summer.

Just to be a Tony nominee, I think Jim would be happy.