The Big Bang Theory Forums

I'm glad that different people are expressing preferences, and ideas. For those that just keep repeating the same worn out ideas(canon,canon), they are the equivilent of grave diggers. Glacial relationships aren't viable, chemistry plus passion burns brightly! I'm so bored of canon fodder, and if anyone quotes viewing figures, it's Sheldon that makes the show popular(there are plenty of shows involving boring couples, but only one with a Sheldon!). 

Exactly what are all those millions of viewers tuning in to see Sheldon do? :icon_wink:

• Like 1

Yes that idea of lining a couple up from the beginning, is just old fashioned and lazy writing. Yes I'm talking to you TBBT writers, this is the post- Postmodern period; of freedom and experimental creation, referencing everything, we are not expecting a nineteenth century novel.

Of course, the producers only concern is what are the great majority of the viewers expecting to receive from the writers. Those viewers are paying the rent and don't want to be disappointed. If they don't get what they expect they vote with their eyeballs (on Nielsen ratings machines).

I'm wondering if pausing some of the relationship themes - at a satisfying point - and letting the show play comedy hi-jinks for a couple of years might be on the cards. Crudely put, if everyone got hooked up, then just lived at that level would the lack of URST kill the show?

For me, no.

When I take the realistic pill, I know that over 4 seasons I'm probably going to see Leonard and Penny, and/or Sheldon and Amy, break up and get back together. Everything will seem fine, and then there will be drama created out of nowhere. They'll do this for their storylines or they will do this because they feel they have to keep the relationships entertaining, or take them through some sort of phase as part of their development.

Oh, and for ratings. Drama drives ratings - right?

Personally, I find them all hysterical and fun and stable just the way they are right now, and I feel there's plenty of funny and sweet and interesting things to have them do - particularly if they stick to comic books and pop culture and those things they do together which are interesting or domestic. My favorite Leonard/Penny scene features them simply washing dishes together (who says they have nothing to talk about?), and Sheldon and Amy going to book readings, doing Fun With Flags, or perhaps going to a lecture on sidewalk safety is always hilarious. Not to mention that my favorite Howard and Bernadette moment came when the two of them were simply going to change the smoke detector.

If the show is creative, I think there's a lot of interesting references and jokes and adventures that the gang can have together without the necessity of Penny suddenly thinking of breaking up with Leonard even though we've been shown absolutely no reason why she would want to do so, or Sheldon suddenly regressing to being 6 years old in the back of the car when Leonard and Penny are having a sweet moment, or Sheldon going from smitten with Amy to indifferent and back to being smitten again in .60 seconds. I just read an article about two people who fell in love with a certain egg over breakfast, and then decided to learn to engineer their own sous-vide to cook them that way. I could see endless jokes and sight gags over Sheldon and Amy coming home from breakfast determined to reverse engineer a sous-vide. Howard offers to help but they reject it because despite the fact he's an engineer, they need to prove they're smarter, and after finally launching over two dozen eggs all over the apartment they let him help, and everyone falls in love with sous-vide eggs. Except Leonard, who still has egg shells in his hair from their earlier experiments and about wants to kill them.

Sounds like an old-fashioned TBBT episode to me. But anyway - relationships are made up of the small and funny things, and TBBT is capable of doing this; I think that charming and fluffy and funny is precisely where the strength of the show lies. In fact, at times I have been braced for the show to go for drama in the phony way a lot of other sitcoms go for it, only to have the characters stay rational, or at least true to character. (We all know Penny can Hulk out, but then, I usually can understand where her Hulk episodes are coming from.)

As for Leonard and Amy forcing themselves on anyone, I find that as ridiculous as not seeing what Leonard and Penny have to talk about when we've seen 6 seasons of them, you know, HAVING CONVERSATIONS. It's remarkable, but somehow the two of them manage.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 4

I am sure that those professionals who write for or produce the number one comedy on television will give the criticism and advice from those who have no idea what they are talking about all of the attention that such criticism and advice deserves. 

LOL!

That's why they are depositing million dollar chunks of money while those of us making suggestions on how to totally destroy\redesign their successful enterprise are a source of amusement to them.

Take the Penny in the beginning, and compare her to when L was trying to get her to like what he likes,programmes,etc.

Did she end up changing into a "Buffy" fan? So Leonard failed miserably.

For me, no.

When I take the realistic pill, I know that over 4 seasons I'm probably going to see Leonard and Penny, and/or Sheldon and Amy, break up and get back together. Everything will seem fine, and then there will be drama created out of nowhere. They'll do this for their storylines or they will do this because they feel they have to keep the relationships entertaining, or take them through some sort of phase as part of their development.

Personally, I find them all hysterical and fun and stable just the way they are right now, and I feel there's plenty of funny and sweet and interesting things to have them do - particularly if they stick to comic books and pop culture and those things they do together which are interesting or domestic. My favorite Leonard/Penny scene features them simply washing dishes together (who says they have nothing to talk about?), and Sheldon and Amy going to book readings, doing Fun With Flags, or perhaps going to a lecture on sidewalk safety is always hilarious. Not to mention that some of my favorite Howard and Bernadette moment came when the two of them were simply going to change the smoke detector.

If the show is creative, I think there's a lot of interesting references and jokes and adventures that the gang can have together without the necessity of Penny suddenly thinking of breaking up with Leonard even though we've been shown absolutely no reason why she would want to do so, or Sheldon suddenly regressing to being 6 years old in the back of the car when Leonard and Penny are having a sweet moment, or Sheldon going from smitten with Amy to indifferent and back to being smitten again in .60 seconds. I just read an article about two people who fell in love with a certain egg over breakfast, and then decided to learn to engineer their own sous-vide to cook them that way. I could see endless jokes and sight gags over Sheldon and Amy coming home from breakfast determined to reverse engineer a sous-vide. Howard offers to help but they reject it because despite the fact he's an engineer, they need to prove their smarter, and after finally launching over two dozen eggs all over the apartment they let him help, and everyone falls in love with sous-vide eggs. Except Leonard, who still has egg shells in his hair from their earlier experiments and about wants to kill them.

Sounds like an old-fashioned TBBT episode to me. But anyway - relationships are made up of the small and funny things, and TBBT is capable of doing this; I think that charming and fluffy and funny is precisely where the strength of the show lies. In fact, at times I have been braced for the show to go for drama in the phony way a lot of other sitcoms go for it, only to have the characters stay rational, or at least true to character. (We all know Penny can Hulk out, but then, I usually can understand where her Hulk episodes are coming from.)

As for Leonard and Amy forcing themselves on anyone, I find that as ridiculous as not seeing what Leonard and Penny have to talk about when we've seen 6 seasons of them, you know, HAVING CONVERSATIONS. It's remarkable, but somehow the two of them manage.

Then I think that's what we are going to see. Breadth, not heights. And not a lot of real damage. Maybe just normal wear and tear.

I'll have to recalibrate myself. It would be novel not to live on the L/P knife's edge. Hehehe.

(or under a piano/anvil - who doesn't love the old 'toons)

I'm wondering if pausing some of the relationship themes - at a satisfying point - and letting the show play comedy hi-jinks for a couple of years might be on the cards. Crudely put, if everyone got hooked up, then just lived at that level would the lack of URST kill the show?

This is exactly what Steve Malaro has hinted for season 7. There will be more emphasis on careers and science.  You could see them trying this approach out in the "Tenure" and finale episodes. The relationships are in place (except for Raj) and they should allow them to progress in the background at what ever they consider is a natural pace for each couple.

Real "life" is that these are thirty-something professional men and women and they should have their careers as a primary concern and allow their family lives to slide in and out of attention when needed, like the rest of other people in their positions.

This will keep a lot of viewers happy, should be funnier and allow them to minimize the relationship drama.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

This is exactly what Steve Malaro has hinted for season 7. There will be more emphasis on careers and science. You could see them trying this approach out in the "Tenure" and finale episodes. The relationships are in place (except for Raj) and they should allow them to progress in the background at what ever they consider is a natural pace for each couple.

Real "life" is that these are thirty-something professional men and women and they should have their careers as a primary concern and allow their family lives to slide in and out of attention when needed, like the rest of other people in their positions.

This will keep a lot of viewers happy, should be funnier and allow them to minimize the relationship drama.

Then all the S1-3 fans that left will return ! The ratings will jump... by 2%.

• Like 1

LOL!

That's why they are depositing million dollar chunks of money while those of us making suggestions on how to totally destroy\redesign their successful enterprise are a source of amusement to them.

I often wondered about this and any other show.  I know they appreciate their fans and want them to be happy but how many times do they just shake their heads and say "silly fans" at some of the stuff they hear and read...

Recanted... Recanted ... Recanted... Lol.

totally an ignorant guess haha

Too late!  You don't screw with the moving finger, the moving finger screws you! Your only hope now is to post something so heinous that Tripper erases it all. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

After viewing some of the "homages" to the ship in the various shipping threads, I wonder where that point might be?       Orbis non-sufficit

After viewing some of the "homages" to the ship in the various shipping threads, I wonder where that point might be? Orbis non-sufficit

tru dat. Ineffable.

Disgusted, you are the "Music Man".

I just feel like I need to give something back to the Shamy, after my latest reign of terror.

• Like 3

I just feel like I need to give something back to the Shamy, after my latest reign of terror.

And we appreciate it, I'm sure. Safety Dance with me, my Lenny friends.

I know I will probably get shot down for saying this, but, being a slightly obsessive teatime and DVD re-watcher of the show, I have started to feel that with romantic relationships in TBBT there is often a lack of deep-rooted affection. There's buddy affection and family affection, but I never really feel the love between the couples (apart from Howard and Bernadette). To me Lenny seems like a bit of a sympathy/convenience pairing. I know I keep saying this, but I can't see what the two of them talk about! As for the Shamy, I thought there was more of a fondness emanating (Is that the right word? It doesn't feel right) from Sheldon towards Amy when they were just friends.

I think Leonard is hideously needy; it just comes across as ''whipped-ness'' as I like to call it.

''Just tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it'' he says to Penny after the catastrophe that was his hasty declaration of love.

I feel that if you give fictional characters what they thought was unattainable (i.e. Penny given to Leonard) it scrapes off some of their charm. That's not me saying I wanted him to moon over her throughout the show with no success - that's just cruel, and I'm sure there are ways out of a rut like that.

Howard didn't end up with his dream Megan Fox-style woman after all, and I think that is why he has changed the least during the later seasons.

This perfectly describes how I feel about the canons on the show.  ;) 

Has Leonard changed over time?  Has he become more self assured and less needy?   Has his self confidence developed to the point where Penny now thinks it is possible for him to find someone else?   Speaking fo needy, does anyone else need someone to drive them to work, to stores, or to the dentist?   Does Leonard need somone to do his laundry?  Cut his meat?   Get his meals for him?   It seems to me that at one point or another there are characters who have been much more needy then Leonard.

Edited by rickfromillinois

Has Leonard changed over time?  Has he become more self assured and less needy?   Has his self confidence developed to the point where Penny now thinks it is possible for him to find someone else?   Speaking fo needy, does anyone else need someone to drive them to work, to stores, or to the dentist?   Does Leonard need somone to do his laundry?  Cut his meat?   Get his meals for him?   It seems to me that at one point or another there are characters who have been much more needy then Leonard.

The Leonard we saw at the end of season 6 is far from the Leonard we saw even in season 5. Penny now worries about keeping him happy. Leonard is nearing the pinnicle of his profession and season 7, I'll bet, we will see even more career rewards coming his way. He is confident and independant and does not need a personal "support" team when he goes to the North Sea.

We are seeing the evolution of Leonard into his finally realizing that he is the "Alpha Dog" of the pack.

Edited by BangerMain

In my opinion, Sheldon has merely instigated a vague state of feudal serfdom.

As for Howard, that strikes me as dependence, not neediness...

Yes! I think Sheldon is demanding rather than needy. 

The Leonard we saw at the end of season 6 is far from the Leonard we saw even in season 5. Penny now worries about keeping him happy. Leonard is nearing the pinnicle of his profession and season 7, I'll bet, we will see even more career rewards coming his way. He is confident and independant and does not need a personal "support" team when he goes to the North Sea.

We are seeing the evolution of Leonard into his finally realizing that he is the "Alpha Dog" of the pack.

I agree with what you saying. Just as I wrote earlier I think season 7 is going to be Leonard's day. They are focusing on his character. As soon as they announced he was going away I thought the next season would be Lenny and Leonard. And I know the shamy's feel cheated but that's the way it goes, it's Leonard's turn. 

Obviously, I have other preferences myself :( so I know how they feel but if I had to guess, I think this is what is ahead in S7. 

Personally I don't think Leonard's character is interesting enough to carry the alpha dog position but I just have this feeling they could be going this way. He's okay (no hate here) I just adore Sheldon and think he's the star of the show. 

Edited by Spaced_up
  • Like 2

Yes! I think Sheldon is demanding rather than needy.

I agree with what you saying. Just as I wrote earlier I think season 7 is going to be Leonard's day. They are focusing on his character. As soon as they announced he was going away I thought the next season would be Lenny and Leonard. And I know the shamy's feel cheated but that's the way it goes, it's Leonard's turn.

Obviously, I have other preferences myself :( so I know how they feel but if I had to guess, I think this is what is ahead in S7.

Personally I don't think Leonard's character is interesting enough to carry the alpha dog position but I just have this feeling they could be going this way. He's okay (no hate here) I just adore Sheldon and think he's the star of the show.

I just like you. Cos I ran out of likes.