Best Science Fiction, And Why?

gaqo

I'll have to look into 'Sci Fi'. Some are based on existing fiction; Blade Runner(Do Androids dream of electric sheep?), Deckard was based on Sam Spade character. Others like Star trek, I think were originally based on Westerns. Films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, are more as I imagine the future. There's a whole lot where humans are units, existing in future Utopian societies. Genetically controlled. I enjoy the Alien series, maybe that is based on Horror genre?

I'd say Alien is Sci-Fi/Horror. I think I saw the first one... I should watch it again and see the others.

I quite like Logan's Run and I think that A Clockwork Orange could possibly class as a dystopian Sci-Fi film... It is a speculation of the future, after all.

I think even if it's set ten minutes in the future, we can call it Sci Fi! I only saw a couple of Lost, why was it seen as Sci Fi? The Alien series is probably what the future will really be like. I even enjoyed Alien Vs Predator! I do like strong, willful women as main protagonist, exciting on all levels! There's also the apocalypse future genre. I bet it's possible to do a degree in this subject!

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

TV: Doctor Who. By miles! I've also watched a lot of Star Trek, including a marathon of the old movies on Saturday, but still, DW is more my alley, not only on the TV episodes, the whole range of DW novelizations/audio/comics are also quite good.

Star Wars.

Phillip K Dick books.

Ursula Le Guin's "The Left side of darkness"

Bradbury

Arthur C Clarke

Isaac Asimov

Metropolis

The Aliens saga

I really liked the movie Moon

2001: A Space Oddisey

Logan's Run

Total Recall

Blade Runner

The Terminator 1 & 2

Back to the Future 1&2

that's what first comes to mind, but I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff

Edited by Sursonica

@Sursonica, can you tell us, what are sci fi books like? I've only read a couple. Are the ideas too difficult to film?  I got fed up with the constant moralising on Star Trek. I don't know how many people were affected by that. It's like they had a mid-western preacher, on the writing team! While I like Directors like Fellini,Bergman,etc, I also enjoy a good action film like Terminator 1&2.

@Willow,(Science fiction: fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances, major social or environmental changes) Not that I care anyway! What is interesting is that some sci fi, written or filmed in the past refers to a specific time; nineteen eighty four, 2001 A Space Odyssey. It's interesting to see how accurate they were!

• Like 1

What are the best Science Fiction Films, programmes, books,etc, and why? Remember Star Wars is a children's film series!!!!

Star Wars, Star Trek except DS-9, TRANSFORMERS, Robocop(s), Terminator(s), Superman movies, Wonder Woman seasons 1-3,  Knight Rider, Automan, Justice League, Spiderman & His Amazing Friends, All X-men incarnations, & Pole-Position,

Soooo many.

Movies: Blade Runner, 2001:A Space Odyssey, Alien/Aliens, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr Who, Firefly, Gattaca, District 9, 5th Element, Matrix, Starship Troopers, Total Recall (remake, not so much)....those off the top of my head.

Books:
Ender's Game, Hammer's Slammers, Neuromancer series, The Mote in God's Eye, Lucifer's Hammer, 

Admittedly I haven't read much SciFi, especially the classics.

@Sursonica, can you tell us, what are sci fi books like? I've only read a couple. Are the ideas too difficult to film?  I got fed up with the constant moralising on Star Trek. I don't know how many people were affected by that. It's like they had a mid-western preacher, on the writing team! While I like Directors like Fellini,Bergman,etc, I also enjoy a good action film like Terminator 1&2.

It depends. Most Sci-Fi authors have a love for Dystopian Societies, and the moral conflicts that arise from the advance of technology. The "morals" are not as obvious as they are in Star Trek, but you definitely get that the authors are pretty much always trying to convey a message "A Brave new World", "Farenheit 451" and pretty much all of Asimov are like that. But they are still entertaining  and keep the morals as a subtext.

If you want to get a general idea, I think that "The left side of darkness" by Ursula LeGuin and the Doctor Who novelizations by Terrance Dicks are a good introduction into what most of Sci-Fi books are about. And Asimov, of course, but he's a whole gender on himself.

It depends. Most Sci-Fi authors have a love for Dystopian Societies, and the moral conflicts that arise from the advance of technology. The "morals" are not as obvious as they are in Star Trek, but you definitely get that the authors are pretty much always trying to convey a message "A Brave new World", "Farenheit 451" and pretty much all of Asimov are like that. But they are still entertaining  and keep the morals as a subtext.

If you want to get a general idea, I think that "The left side of darkness" by Ursula LeGuin and the Doctor Who novelizations by Terrance Dicks are a good introduction into what most of Sci-Fi books are about. And Asimov, of course, but he's a whole gender on himself.

I think the only ones I've read are; 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep', and 'Brave New World'. I prefered 'Music at Night' by Huxley,he was one of those writers who wrote novels and text books(like Eco). I might try 'The Left Side of Darkness', and some Asimov. I'm just getting back into reading again! 

I think the only ones I've read are; 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep', and 'Brave New World'. I prefered 'Music at Night' by Huxley,he was one of those writers who wrote novels and text books(like Eco). I might try 'The Left Side of Darkness', and some Asimov. I'm just getting back into reading again! 

I started Music at Night and never finished it. Bad me! I wanna get back to it as soon as I have some time. I adore Eco, as a residual of my venture into Semiotics back in my youth. I am actually reading right now Apocalittici e integrati about Mass Culture and Media. It was written in 1964 and it is so relevant to day it's almost unbelievable.

I read Eco's 'Open Work' (and some others), which lead me to a degree in Conceptual Art; alot of semiotics and contemporary cultural theory, which led me to Slavoj Zizek, among others. Unfortunately all that reading, put me off until now. I think my mind was full! Strangely coming on this forum has driven me to start researching(so I have a bit of an idea of what I'm saying), but I realise we need to keep inputing, and thinking! So that's positive. Just got to keep away from ship threads!

Everything :icon_biggrin:

I'm a total science fiction/fantasy/ nerd and go straight to this whenever I rent a film. I even like the bad stuff :icon_redface: .

TV:
Doctor Who
Star Trek Voyager /Next Generation.
Buffy

Fringe
X Files

Falling Skies
Sliders
Angel
The Walking Dead

Red Dwarf

Being Human

Flyfire

Hyperdrive (silly and very British)

The IT Crowd (not sic fi but I love)

Spaced (again not sic fi but have references)

Films:

Too many to remember but a few...

LOTR
Moon
Blade Runner
Serenity
Alien Trilogy
Tron
Spiderman
The Lost Boys
Attack the Block
Gattaca
Resident Evil (yes i know awful films but the games are amazing, still I have all the films :icon_redface: )

Books:
World War Z is so much better than the film and totally different!!

I've always wanted to give X-Files a try ( I liked the theme tune when I was little) but there are so many seasons it's a bit daunting!

God and I like them all, well almost all. S1-2 are sort of random monster/spooky stories. After this a conspiracy starts to hot up, evenutally it gets a bit ridiculous but it's all great fun.

• Like 1

I've seen one episode; it had one of my favourite actors, Michael Emerson, in it. I really liked the episode but I'm not sure that was because of the his presence or the actual show itself! I can always rent it from the ol' Library. That's if they will bother to get it in.

Ah the alternative reality one, that was a really good performance.

I forgot to say why I like Sci-fi and fantasy. I like almost anything of this genre because I find reality too bleak. I like escapism and anything that removes me from how disappointing the human race is. Zombies - love them. Vampires - yup. Anything set in the future because I know it's not real.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

I'm very fussy with my vampires. None of this rubbishy sparkly Twilight, please! Let The Right One In and Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula have to be my favourite vamp films.

And I love a good Zombie film - 28 Days/Weeks Later may be my favourites... I also think that I Am Legend, if you ignore the terrible CGI and the fact that they aren't really zombies, is a good film too. I've still yet to see all of George A. Romero's first Zombie film. It looks pretty gruesome.

Oh yeah, the whole Dawn of the Dead saga. I like the funny ones better than the really gorgy stuff sometimes. I only saw the first twilight film and wasn't impressed. It's all about the hot guy right? Not that he isn't hot. :p

'Let The Right One In' - got it, love it.

Another film I saw not that long ago, that I really liked was 'Submarine' not sci-fi but what a great film.

Edited by Moonbase

Shawn of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie films, it's absolutely hilarious. Especially the scene at the Pub with Queen's "Don't stop me now" playing. LOVE IT

The Resident Evil saga, even though only the 1st one was good, but whatcha gonna do. If they're on, I always watch them.

Romero's zombies, watched all of his films, still, none beats 1968's Night of the Living Dead.

As for zombies, I go with Boris Karloff's Nosferatu, Bela Lugosi's films and Anne Rice's books. Nothing else. I'm also picky with my vampires, maybe because I really like them. My main MTG deck is a vampire deck I constructed myself. I have rarely been beaten when using my army of vampires.

ETA: Is it wrong that I absolutely LOVE B-movies that combine Zombies+Aliens+Vampires such as Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Astro-Zombies? they're so bad they're good.

Edited by Sursonica

The most annoying thing about Twilight is that it has Michael Sheen (Another one of my favourite actors) in it. (I wonder how many actors called Michael I'll start liking?) 

When I first saw him in it I said out loud: ''What are you doing, Sheen? selling your soul to the Devil!'' But his reputation has not been damaged.  In fact he added a little more respectability to the films!

Robert Pattinson (Yuck)  and Whatever-she's-called will never live it down though, I bet. Like Daniel Radcliffe and Harry Potter. But that's nothing to be ashamed of.

I saw a remake of Dawn of the Dead that I actually really liked. Remakes aren't usually good.

I know these probably aren't Sci-Fi per se but I do like Guillermo Del Toro's films, particularly Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy II.

Pan's Labyrinth looks great. One to check out. I didn't know Michael Sheen was in Twilight, just goes to show how much I know about those films :)

Shawn of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie films, it's absolutely hilarious. Especially the scene at the Pub with Queen's "Don't stop me now" playing. LOVE IT

The Resident Evil saga, even though only the 1st one was good, but whatcha gonna do. If they're on, I always watch them.

Romero's zombies, watched all of his films, still, none beats 1968's Night of the Living Dead.

As for zombies, I go with Boris Karloff's Nosferatu, Bela Lugosi's films and Anne Rice's books. Nothing else. I'm also picky with my vampires, maybe because I really like them. My main MTG deck is a vampire deck I constructed myself. I have rarely been beaten when using my army of vampires.

ETA: Is it wrong that I absolutely LOVE B-movies that combine Zombies+Aliens+Vampires such as Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Astro-Zombies? they're so bad they're good.

Bad is definitely good in this genre!

This is my genre. I read outside it, but as a younger person I scoured the libraries and second hand bookstores for the stuff. The epitome for me has been Iain. M. Banks and his "Culture" novels. Hence my handle-de-jour.

The sad thing is he died recently, too young, at 59.

I too think Star Wars is over-rated. I watched and enjoyed Solaris (1972). That's science fiction.

(Dogboy was a poke at A/S from the Spoiler Alert Segmentation).

• Like 1

No matter what you say, Star Wars and Star Trek are the best for TV/Movies.

As for books:

- the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov is great

- I, Robot by Isaac Asimov is great

- Anything by Isaac Asimov is great

- The Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is great (everyone was hoping the new films would be based on these books

- The Selonian Star Wars Trilogy by an author whose name I cannot be bothered to look up is also great

Edited by viddy9

No matter what you say, Star Wars and Star Trek are the best for TV/Movies.

As for books:

- the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov is great

- I, Robot by Isaac Asimov is great

- Anything by Isaac Asimov is great

- The Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is great (everyone was hoping the new films would be based on these books

- The Selonian Star Wars Trilogy by an author whose name I cannot be bothered to look up is also great

Sure,sure. But i still try to get Splinter of the Minds Eye by Alan Dean Foster out my head. Luke seriously pashes Leia. My queasiness goes back to the reveal in "Revenge...".

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Heinlein yet. The "Future History" series is simply amazing, when the time frame in which it was written is considered. His novels,especially the so called juveniles, are very entertaining. You would be wise to stay away from his later stuff, he fell into the trap of trying to tie his disparate series all together. Asimov fell into the same trap.

Willo, gaqo (well, others also may enjoy it)you both would probably enjoy Harllan Ellison. His stories tend to have that certain twist or a skewed point of view to them. His two stories "A Boy and His Dog" and "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" are simply great.

• Like 1

I've seen one episode; it had one of my favourite actors, Michael Emerson, in it. I really liked the episode but I'm not sure that was because of the his presence or the actual show itself! I can always rent it from the ol' Library. That's if they will bother to get it in.

I didn't list Xfiles in the movies/TV cause I didn't really consider it SciFi but it's close.

There are some flat out fantastic episodes of X Files. Flat OUT fantastic. 

Off the top of my head (I have the complete collection but has been some years since I've watched them all), the vampire one was hilarious. The Men in Black was amazing. The Genie in the rug episode, great stuff! The insurance salesman who can tell when people are going to die. The guy with amazing luck. 

WWZ the book is amazing. The king of zombie books. The movie should be shot for sullying the name of WWZ.

The most annoying thing about Twilight is that it has Michael Sheen (Another one of my favourite actors) in it. (I wonder how many actors called Michael I'll start liking?) 

When I first saw him in it I said out loud: ''What are you doing, Sheen? selling your soul to the Devil!'' But his reputation has not been damaged.  In fact he added a little more respectability to the films!

Robert Pattinson (Yuck)  and Whatever-she's-called will never live it down though, I bet. Like Daniel Radcliffe and Harry Potter. But that's nothing to be ashamed of.

I saw a remake of Dawn of the Dead that I actually really liked. Remakes aren't usually good.

I know these probably aren't Sci-Fi per se but I do like Guillermo Del Toro's films, particularly Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy II.

Pan's was great. Wasn't a fan of HB2.

Dawn of the Dead the remake was pretty decent. Did you watch the extras at the end? The gun store guy's diary was hilarious.