Penny and Sheldon: Why?

Irvine

Hi there guys! Nice to meet you! Sorry that my first post here is a complaint, but I absolutely have no choice to do so 'cause I'm worried about the future of the show! Now I know it's been renewed for two seasons, and that's not the longevity of the show that worries me! Lately, I've heard a lot of fan wanting a Sheldon-Penny relationship to develops. This idea seems to take so much importance, I'm starting to worry a lot that the writers will actually do this huge mistake...:icon_cry: Just like everyone else, I really love their chemistry on screen! Sheldon is of course always funny, but is even funnier when confronted to Penny. But it seems like I'm the only one who notice that, if they are funny together, it's because of their total incapacity to ''pair up'' in any way! Sheldon is totally clueless about emotions and sentimental relationship, he could never develop a relationship with a girl like Penny! IF he ever develops a relationship with a girl, it'll have to be someone he'll respect and, for that, this other person need to have a reasonnable level of intelligence. Heck, from what I saw in the episodes, the only woman for him would be Leonard's mother! Anyway, it is obvious that pairing those two would not only be Out Of Character for them (especcially for Sheldon). But worst: it might render Sheldon unfunny. Can you really picture a Sheldon with strong emotionnal feelings and all? Only a girl who understand his ''Sheldonness'' would fit him. Yet, like I said, this Penny/Sheldon idea keeps popping up, and I'm starting to worry it'll actually happen, changing one of the funniest character ever created, forever. Am I the only one thinking that? What do you guys all think about it? And again, sorry for starting everything with a rant, but I'm really worried about the show's quality in the two (and more) upcoming seasons... :icon_cry:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you're safe. I'm the only Sheldon/Penny representant in this forum. And they've learned how to respect and igone me about that, so I hope you learn it as well xD I like it because they seen cute together. Besides it would be really funny. You might think it wouldn't but I do. But besides that, because I think shipping war it's one of the most childish things in the internet... it's not like you complaining would change the show's "destiny" o.O Like, I'm ok with Penny/Leonard. It still is a excelent show. And like I said, if you complaining about it won't help, us (Sheldon/Penny shippers) creating a whole fandom based on it ALSO won't help us. I'ts just for fun. If Chucky decides to go with Penny/Leonard, so that's it. So why do you worry so much about what other people might think it's good for the show anyway? o.O Let us be disappointed in peace. (Geez, this is starting to look like the whole Zutarians vs. Kataangers all over again u.u (Avatar, in case you guys don't know))

I'm worried about it because the only way it might work is to totally change Sheldon's nature. By doing so, it is likely to render Sheldon unfunny (because the most part of his ''funnyness'' is due to is innability to understand human relationships). And I also worry because I've noticed that writers have a tendency to ruin shows by listening to the fans' desires! It happens quite often actually. Don't worry, I don't ''hate'' you because you think it would be a good idea or anything. Just saying that would be bad. And, mostly, I would like to know how you can see them with each other without making both of them totally OOC? Little Edit: Another little question: Assuming they'd date, how would they have a good sexual relationship if, as we all know, she's not allowed in his room? :p

Exactly! Like, imagine Sheldon, the total robot, HAVING to deal with a relationship! Imagine him finding out how to deal if every single aspect of a sexual relationship xD I dunno, for me at least it would be really funny. And I don't think he would be THAT OCC. It's like the episode he had to sleep in penny's ap. He said a "thank you penny" that was at the same time cute and in character. And what show did you see that the writers actually listened to the people on the internet? o__o I dunno, but every show/book/film I happen to have some ship in it, it ends up being the other way arround ç_ç The ONLY exception it's Ron/Mione in the Harry Potter books. Actually I think that happens because the fandon it's based in something people know it's never going to happen. Like, why would you write a fanfic if your couple of choice has already hooked up in the show/book/film? xD Well, I got a little bit carried alway, but what I was trying to say is that, believe me, if a certain shipper is growing strong, it's because it's NEVER going to happen xD To be completly true, when Lesile (have no idea how to write her name, sorry) was still in the show, I had the feeling that her and Leonard would be together for real and then Penny would be free for Sheldon. Maybe, just MAYBE, that's what Chucky was trying to do. But she left the show so... xD And as for the room, it would be a good plot xD Imagine if they start date and stuff and she goes into his room just to say hi and he doesn't let her xD I think her reaction would be hilarious. But trust me, after the season 2 finale, Penny is going to end up with Leonard.

Hmm, from what I heard, Harry/Hermione was the favorite shipping, so Ron/Hermione is not really fan-following. One easy example that comes to my mind is the serie Heroes, where they got ride of time-travel (thus of Hiro, who used to be one of the favorites in the first season) and simplified the plot so much it's not as interesting, because people hated its complexity. There is also the Robin/Barney thing building up in How I Met Your Mother. I actually like it, but just like Sheldon wouldn't be Sheldon if he hooked with Penny, Barney won't be as ''Barneyish'' anymore once he's officially with Robin. As for all the hilarity that may ensue from a Penny/Sheldon relationship (such as, we both mentions, the ''going in the room'' thing), I completely agree on that! It would be hilarious. That's not my problem with this relationship. My problem is it can't just build up, exactly because of that kind of hilarity. The only way it might work is to slightly open Sheldon's mind to a romantic and sexual relationship (which is hard enought by itself) with a girl he considers an ''inferior mind'' and with DNA, he obviously thing, wouldn't provide offsprings worthy of his genius (now, that's just OOC). But yeah, I'll totally agree with you: If they ever manage to open Sheldon's mind, shortly, to a relationship with an ''inferior mind'', then close it back soon after the relationship starts so he can revert back to his old self, a Penny/Sheldon relationship would be extremely funny! My problem is just that it couldn't work without changing Penny and Sheldon's opinion of each other, which is what makes their actual situation very funny! In summary: Yes, funny, but too OOC... BTW, I saw the Season 2 Finale, and yeah, I prefer that (makes more sense), but I can't help but wonder if the Season 3 Finale won't build up for a Season 4 Penny/Sheldon because ''that's seems to be what people wants''.

Well i don't think that the writers would make a mistake like you are imagining. Not only it is not Sheldons nature to get a girlfriend like Penny but think about all other relationships in the show! Leonard/Sheldon for example: i think Leonard would then really like to kill Sheldon while he is sleeping ;) Sheldon/Howard: Howard would be more than emberassed about that! Sheldon get a hit on Penny, while Howard has absolutely no chance... I think even Leslie would change her opinion about Sheldon... a stronger relationship between Penny and Sheldon would change the entire show, i think. Nevertheless i like the end of "the bath item gift hypothethis" when Sheldon hugs Penny. But that should be a "one time event" ;)

me too i don't think that there will be a real relationship between them but i'd love to see them in a fake relationship for some reason. both trying to act like they really like each other i think that would be hilarious.

@Irvine OMG WHAT WORLD DO YOU LIVE?? O_O of COURSE Ron/Mione was the favorite of the fandom o.O for god's sakes, don't gimme a heart atack @[email protected] And like I said a billion times, it's Penny/Leonard, you can rest in peace now xD I think Chucky likes to tease us with the hug and the ap. episode xD @SirKinoc Leslie is not on the show anymore xD but I think of all reactions, hers would be the best one. Even funnier then Leonard's reaction! @torak OMG that's an perfect plot! Care to develop? xD

@waffles sure. actually i've already been thinking about it alot but i did't come up with a good story so far. first i thought of other movies where they fake relationships and usually its because of their jobs and one of the two wants to get promoted. so sheldon, physicist at a university... not so much. penny, cheesecake factory waitress...not so much either. so i tried to come up with a better idea and the only remotely useful situation i could think of was some kind of gameshow for couples like "The Newlywed Game" meets "Who wants to be a millionaire" so mixed questions about the couple and general knowledge. And the reason for them to participate would be a winners price like $10.000 + a trip to idontknow where sheldon always wanted to go but never had a chance to.

OMG THAT'S PERFECT XDDD and to add up to another topic, one of the questions would be "what's penny last name?" XDDD It would be, like, the last quention and if he miss it he would lose everything xD That's just perfect torak! You got yourself a fan xD

I did come out with the idea of penny's last name hehehe. I just think that I prefer that it still remains penny-leonard, penny and sheldon is a more friend relationship, plus penny have taken care of sheldon as a little brother or a son, singing him a llulaby, or vapor rub or going to him for reasonable explinations, help, advice in logical direct way, I don't know, In my opinion I hope that it remains that penny is only interested in leonard.

Hi there, I also think Penny and Sheldon more have a brother-sister-relationship, I don't see Sheldon having sexual interest in anyone. Torak's idea is still funny though... or they could also do a "nightmare scene" where Leonhard dreams about Penny getting involved with Sheldon after seeing them having a nice interaction or something... and I just remembered that in one Star Trek TOS episode, Spok gets infected by some sort of alien virus and becomes all emotional... that could be an option to explore Sheldon's sexual site :icon_biggrin:

Guys, quick though: can you IMAGINE how paranoic Sheldon will be in this season with all the swine flu going on? xD Anyway, I still prefer Sheldon/Penny, what can I do? xD And OMG, I actually dreamed about that "episode" me and torak were talking about o_o THAT'S creppy...

Actually, you're safe. I'm the only Sheldon/Penny representant in this forum. And they've learned how to respect and igone me about that, so I hope you learn it as well xD I like it because they seen cute together. Besides it would be really funny. You might think it wouldn't but I do.

But besides that, because I think shipping war it's one of the most childish things in the internet... it's not like you complaining would change the show's "destiny" o.O Like, I'm ok with Penny/Leonard. It still is a excelent show. And like I said, if you complaining about it won't help, us (Sheldon/Penny shippers) creating a whole fandom based on it ALSO won't help us. I'ts just for fun. If Chucky decides to go with Penny/Leonard, so that's it. So why do you worry so much about what other people might think it's good for the show anyway? o.O Let us be disappointed in peace.

(Geez, this is starting to look like the whole Zutarians vs. Kataangers all over again u.u (Avatar, in case you guys don't know))

lmaoo I totally get the avatar reference...those ship wars were fierce! I almost lost an arm! And shows have listened to forums! Look at Mike and Bryan from Avatar! you ever seen Ember island Players? xD

I'd love Penny and Leonard to get together, but this is too soon! Both of them still have to grow up, especially overly jealous Leonard!

I've seen all episodes xD since brasilian dubbing sucks, I had to download then in english. I'd LOVE to buy the DVD's, cause I'm really NOT into piracy (except for music xD), but they don't sell it here ç_ç I do the same thing with TBBT, but at least I have season 1 DVD IF Bryke had listened to the fandom, it would be zutara and tokka all the way xD But they're into the wrong pedophilia ship (kataang, insted of tokka), so... Although I was into maiko WAAAAY more then zutara xD Yeah, maybe if Leonard grow up a little I'd be interested in the ship. As far from now, I think Sheldon/Penny would be more interesting xD They are totally oposite from each other, I really like that kind of ship. Penny/Leonard it's just too damn cliche to catch my atention xD

After watching the second season, I kind of had feelings towards the pairing. They spent a lot of time together and they seemed to connect more. True, it is unlikely, but it does create great chemistry. And though he seems asexual, it is quite possible for him to become sexually aroused by the bumpkin. Besides. The Leonard/Penny thing is growing old. Its very high-school-cliche.

I read that they are going "full speed" with leonard and penny and new things to work on, penny as leonard's more lasting girlfriend and how the rest of the gang will deal with it, I read it in an interview that I think it was done in comic-con so it was not a spoiler jejejeje the producers said it!!! http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b135650_The_Big_Bang_Theory_Rocks_Comic-Con_With_Hot_Hookups_and_Loads_of_Facial_Hair_.html

There's been a question at the ComicCon this year regarding Penny/Sheldon:

Not being a PS shipper I was quite relieved to see that the writers/cast didn't like the idea either. Jim Parson said himself Sheldon "wouldn't be enough man for Penny" :) With the PS shippers being so loud there maybe the anti-Shippers should also make themselves a bit more visible???

Like I said, the reason you can't find enough Lenny things on the internet, it's because there's no fun making then. They already got together (twice) on the TV, why would you make an fanfic about it? Anyway, it's not because Chucky said so that I'm stoping loving Sheldon/Penny. If fandom psicology worked out that way, the Avatar fandom wouldn't be the cause of the biggest ship battle since HP xD

I think no one wants you to stop Sheldon/Penny, I find their scenes hilarious and enjoy them, I just can't see them in a physical relationship without completely changing their characters. So I just hope the writers won't go that way despite all the shipping. And honestly, I don't see Leonhard/Penny either. We had so many episodes where it was clear that Penny is attractive to the "average" tall/muscular/symmetrical face guy. I don't see how that could change, you can't really change the biochemical pattern your brain goes for :icon_wink: And on the other hand, Leonhard jumped on any female that was available. So I more see his attraction to Penny as "she's there and I like her, but it could be anyone else". To me relationships evolve when you are physically attracted AND have something in common. I don't see Penny being attracted to any of the guys or them having anything in common with her. I think Penny and Sheldon are hilarious together because they are so different and they just have to argue. Like brother and sister. And Leonhard and Penny are becoming good friends, that care and help each other.

Hmm, glad to see there is still some anti-Shenny! ^_^ And, just like FemaleNerd said, I don't want you to stop liking this shipping or supporting it. I'm just afraid that, with all the Penny/Sheldon love there seems to be around, it might happen. That would just be so un-Penny and, especcially, SOOOOO un-Sheldon! Actually, since my last coming here (which was a while ago, sorry about that) I rewatched all the episodes, and 2 quotes, both from the same episodes, struck me as a proof that they couldn't get along: FIRST Sheldon: [...] of the handful of women Leonard's been involved with, [stephanie]'s the only one I have ever found tolerable. Penny: Well, what about me? Sheldon: The statement stands for itself. SECOND Sheldon: [...] should that happen, I would ask you to find some way to suppress your libido. Penny: I could think about you. Seeing any love in there? I don't! But these interaction, those two parts for exemple, are extremely funny, but they couldn't say that kind of things to each other if they were to date! Also recently saw a video were Parsons said he'd be least shock to learn that Sheldon's not a virgin (from some night at Comicon or something) than that he'd start something with Penny! But he also said he'd be interested in his character falling in love, and all the reactions that may occur from it! They'd just had to find, as Leonard would put it ''a female of his species!'' ^_^ Back to the Leonard/Penny thing that you mentionned, FemaleNerd, I agree with some parts and disagree with others. For exemple, it's true she usually got attracted to the ''hot'' guys, but even herself is conscious of the destructive nature those relationships had on her. I`m pretty sure she's aware that, at least, Leonard wouldn't be a total jerk on her. So points for her. They also poited out that there is, in fact, physical attaction (or as they put it in the show, ''the cat's alive''). But I totally agree with you that they have few things in common. That's actually kinda why they stopped dating right after the first date, Penny being insecure about their difference of intelligence and all, for exemple. Yet, if we have to search who among the 4 has the most things in common with Penny, it would be Leonard, as he is the one who is the most open to socializing... Well, ok, there may be Howard, too, but I even like the She/Pen more than the How/Pen, seriously! Talking too much I guess! ^_^ That's what happen when you were away too much! Hopefully I'll stay now! lol

Well, you guys might think Shenny would ruin the show, but I think a serious Lenny would o.o Why? It would be boring. I mean, the whole show it's based on Leonard's flaws attemps of getting Penny xD If they start to date for real, it would be boring. What else would be left for the guys to do? I mean, their two kisses were funny to watch and all, but only because it didn't work out. Besides, if things get serious, one of them would have to move to another one's ap xD That would just ruin it.