Penny and Sheldon: Why?

Irvine

I think this statement is important, because Sheldon admits that Penny is very attractive. Although, I can't decide whether he says that because all the other guys are drooling after her, or he really thinks so. Hm?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, you guys think it is a fact that an attractive woman can't be skilled at a video game?

That's not! Hot girls can be good gamers, too!

Right? lol (kinda hope it! lol)

Of course, they can! My ex-girlfriend is a beauty and constantly beats those arround in video games.

I might have been misunderstood. When I asked whether Sheldon hit on P. or was merely stating a fact, I meant this fact to be that Penny is pretty. Not that a pretty woman cannot be skilled at v.games.

I think this statement is important, because Sheldon admits that Penny is very attractive. Although, I can't decide whether he says that because all the other guys are drooling after her, or he really thinks so. Hm?

I think he really thinks so, but he also thinks it's not important. The fact that she's dumb (that's what he thinks! I think Penny is really smart) is more important, so he doesn't care about her.

Of course, they can! My ex-girlfriend is a beauty and constantly beats those arround in video games.

Can I meet her? LOL

Ok, back on topic, about when he said that Penny is attractive, I guess he just meant that ''he has the symmetry and low body fat that Western culture deems desirable'' (quote from ''The Pork Chop Indeterminency'' :p).

And I guess too that, to him, it's a fact that such a girl can't be skilled at video games! On which we disagree with him, but it would be a loooooong debate to prove Sheldon's wrong! :p

Can I meet her? LOL

Ok, back on topic, about when he said that Penny is attractive, I guess he just meant that ''he has the symmetry and low body fat that Western culture deems desirable'' (quote from ''The Pork Chop Indeterminency'' :p).

And I guess too that, to him, it's a fact that such a girl can't be skilled at video games! On which we disagree with him, but it would be a loooooong debate to prove Sheldon's wrong! :p

Haha, if you are a girl, then sure. LOL

Yeah, I also think now he was just stating a fact.

Oh, I would LOVE to listen to the debate. :D

• 6 months later...

Hi there. I'm new to this forum, and I stumbled upon this thread and found it in my interest to throw in my own two cents in this discussion.

Anyway, it is obvious that pairing those two would not only be Out Of Character for them (especcially for Sheldon). But worst: it might render Sheldon unfunny. Can you really picture a Sheldon with strong emotionnal feelings and all? Only a girl who understand his ''Sheldonness'' would fit him.

It is possible that OOC-ness is something to worry about if Penny and Sheldon end up in a relationship, if the writers are silly enough to forget about Sheldon's quirks and Penny's reactions to them. It is true that Sheldon would be unable to have a relationship that most of us would deem "normal," but it certainly is possible for him to have one, it all depends on the way the author approaches it.

And, really, about someone understanding his "Sheldonness," Penny has proved time and again that she does understand it, or at least is willing to tolerate it (one example being when she explained why Sheldon had to sit in his spot to Bernadette). Sheldon also has grown an obvious fondness for Penny, as he went to lengths to stay friends with her even after she and Leonard broke up. Sheldon in the beginning of the series wouldn't have looked twice at a girl that Leonard broke up with, so this is a huge growth/change in his character since then.

So, if Sheldon and Penny were to be in a relationship, it would be weird, sometimes it would be awkward, but I believe it can work. They won't be a normal couple, but it will always be interesting. They would challenge each other, Penny in making Sheldon realize that the world doesn't always revolve around him, and he motivating her to better herself in his own special way, haha.

And the no touching on Sheldon's part? He's already hugged Penny a few times of his own volition to express his thanks to her for things, so there isn't any reason he could grow to tolerate more touching. Naturally, it wouldn't be like flipping a switch and fixing the touch phobia, but over time it can happen, just like the relative comfort with hugging was developed.

Anything is possible if all variables of the characters are considered and kept intact. But, don't worry, the writers are definitely going Leonard/Penny with this show, though that relationship needs some major development if it's supposed to be lasting. Hopefully that will be brought next season.

i read a comment made by kaley cuoco saying that she could see it happening in a nightmare scene. Penny seems to talk to sheldon like he's 9 years old anymore lol. for example in the last episode she tells him to play nice.

Hi there. I'm new to this forum, and I stumbled upon this thread and found it in my interest to throw in my own two cents in this discussion.

Welcome to the forums, Syrus. I hope you enjoy visiting the boards. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm Lia. I'm very new to TBBT, but I must admit that I love this show.

Personally, I think this show is at its best when not exploring relationships within the group (i.e. not taking the Friends route). I am definitely against Penny/Leonard, and it's not so much because of the lack of chemistry but because the relationship seems to have turned Leonard into a douche. I liked him better when he was the Woobie. =/

As for the Penny/Sheldon ship, I understand why everyone likes it: the two have amazing platonic chemistry. Personally, I sail the HMS Shenny, but not in the typical way (as in I route for the platonic best friends ship over the romantic one). I love their interactions, and I find myself looking forward to every scene that they are together in. They just have this amazing comedic chemistry and you can definitely see a true friendship between the two. They both antagonise and respect each other - and out of all of Sheldon's other 'friends', Penny seems to be the only one who actually teaches Sheldon something new.

Having said that, I actually do see Penny/Sheldon happening, but in the last season (hinted at towards the end of the second last season). Why? Lorre is not an idiot. What keeps a show running - keeps audiences (especially women) coming back for more on a show that is typically catered towards men? The chance of witnessing brief moments in a platonic relationship that hint at something more.

Examples:

Mulder and Scully from The X-Files - Has there ever been a relationship that people wanted more than the red-haired sceptic Dana Scully and the 'I want to believe' Fox Mulder? Chris Carter had firmly said for years that Mulder and Scully would never be a couple, and yet...Well, the writers managed to imply a romantic relationship (and actually showed it in the last episode and last movie), which kept everyone satisfied (unlike with Moonlighting or Who's The Boss?).

Spock and Uhura from Star Trek (2009) - Audiences are divided on this: the new generation of viewers loved it; the older generation hated it. I'm mixed. I think this relationship had great potential, especially if they hadn't shown the two making out towards the end (the first kiss initiated by Uhura was fine, though). And you do see a bit of Penny in Uhura and a lot of Sheldon in Spock (duh).

Spock and Kirk from Star Trek (series and movies) - This is actually a better example of a Penny/Sheldon relationship than what I stated above.

Liz and Jack from 30 Rock - Liz and and Jack are Yin and Yang: Jack helps Liz make her life slightly less of a mess, and Liz helps Jack stay grounded when he goes off on executive power trips. They also have several almost romantic moments, which are immediately laughed off (which I can see happening with Penny and Sheldon).

-

I'm sure there are many many more examples, and maybe I'll add to them some day.

What I really want to say is that I don't think that Lorre or Parsons was 'shocked' about the popularity of the Shenny shipping. Like with Chris Carter, I think Lorre's adamant stance on not having a Sheldon/Penny relationship is a bit of a ruse, something to keep the masses from revolting (I mean, who wants a non asexual Sheldon right now, or ever?). In addition, it would serve as a cheeky surprise for audiences when it actually does happen.

Again, I'm not advocating a Shenny romance - your typical romance - until the end of the series. I think it's possible for someone like Sheldon, who is wonderfully asexual, to grow and adapt. And I'd rather that happen with Penny than with Amy or anyone else.

/rambling

OK I confess that I too am a major fan of the Penny/Sheldon idea and I finally found a way to incorporate this into the show. I think the two have great chemistry and would make very hilarious episodes together - it just can't be long term.

Soooo... if Leonard was to go away for a weekend (maybe on a trip to some scientific talk) and Penny's Dad came over again, Penny could ask Sheldon to pretend to be her bf. This is similar to what Penny made Leonard do in the 4th season, except that Leonard knew how to act the part! We could see Sheldon at libraries trying to research this role, how hard it is for him to keep this secret in front of her Dad etc.

What do you think? Possible or am I out of my mind? :D

OK I confess that I too am a major fan of the Penny/Sheldon idea and I finally found a way to incorporate this into the show. I think the two have great chemistry and would make very hilarious episodes together - it just can't be long term.

Soooo... if Leonard was to go away for a weekend (maybe on a trip to some scientific talk) and Penny's Dad came over again, Penny could ask Sheldon to pretend to be her bf. This is similar to what Penny made Leonard do in the 4th season, except that Leonard knew how to act the part! We could see Sheldon at libraries trying to research this role, how hard it is for him to keep this secret in front of her Dad etc.

What do you think? Possible or am I out of my mind? :D

Hmm, it has potential for a fanfic, although for the show, I think they'd need to go a different route.

Personally, I think it would start with a nightmare/dream sequence (maybe the whole episode), with a Sheldon/Penny scenario, which would end with Penny waking up in a cold sweat. There would be lots of denial and then Penny would finally realise she has feelings for Sheldon, beyond that of the protective older sister. Frankly, I could see Penny developing feelings for Sheldon and trying to connect with him, but it would be like banging her head against a brick wall.

The questions is how would Sheldon reciprocate?

EDIT: I say the series ender should have Penny accepting an acting role in say NZ and have Sheldon realise that he can't do his work without her there, disrupting his life, and he catches a plane to find her and tell her that she must come back. How else can he prove String Theory and win the Nobel without her stealing his milk every morning? ;)

Personally, I like no romantic relationships on TBBT.

Why not? love is the engine of our world! :icon_cheesygrin:

can be funny equally...do you remember Steve Urkel and Laura Winslow? :icon_lol:

I am a big shipper of the platonic relationships that hint at romance, like Mulder and Scully. I guess I'm a sucker for the big tease, the will-they-or-won't-they. But, in the end, it's the friendships between everyone that I prefer on TBBT (and the geekiness and woobieness of the male characters).

I do not deny the want of romances on certain shows - just not this one (for me, anyway). :)

I think what made the show great was that for Leonard Penny was out of reach and it was his pinning away for her that gave us many laughs. After they got together I found that they really didn't have much chemistry. I would like to see a return to Leonard pinning away for Penny.

I think what made the show great was that for Leonard Penny was out of reach and it was his pinning away for her that gave us many laughs. After they got together I found that they really didn't have much chemistry. I would like to see a return to Leonard pinning away for Penny.

Agreed. Leonard was also prone to act like a douche towards the other guys (Sheldon especially) when he was dating Penny (IMHO).