The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

I'm so glad to see we have something to be excited about again :). Also those that were confused about Amy dating Stuart won't have to worry anymore ;). The way I saw it, I didn't actually think Amy crying alone on her birthday was that OOC. I think her whole life she had wanted friends and company but built up the robotic outer shell to protect herself from ridicule, and to stop others from seeing that they were hurting her. She probably told herself that friendship and romance were absurd and beneath her to stop her from feeling so small. It was only when people cared about her enough to help her overcome her social barriers that she saw how wonderful it all was when she had it for herself, that she felt confident enough to leave that facade behind. I'm willing to bet that she probably cried alone to herself sometimes, when no-one was around to judge her. And the fact that she was completely alone on her birthday when normally everyone would show their love and appreciation for you would have hit seriously hard, even with all her barriers.

ETA: and also thank you sooo much Monique for bringing us this joy :) we needed it!

Edited by Razberrypie
  • Like 6

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In every taping report the language of the Strawberry Quik scene is a little different, so I don't know which one is the most accurate, but the overall sense I get from the exchange is that Sheldon li

About the kiss (they showed it to us!) *he put his hands on her waist when he moved his body closer to hers. *he said, "good" after she said, "that was nice." * he spoke as if he was going to fai

Posted Images

About the screen savor: yes, the first thing we see is a picture of Amy so it looks like a wallpaper. Then suddenly, it changes to other pictures. Even Madam Currie is in the mix. LOL....in which Amy replies, "it's okay, she's dead..." LOL!!!

332.gif

tumblr_mbek82QYmr1qdlubpo1_500.gif

• Like 3

Thank you so much Monique!!!

Jim getting thicker again. I don't want thick Jim again but I don't want skinny as rail Jim either. He was the perfect weight 7x1.

I bet it drives the costume person crazy

Edited by Shamyfan

His legs looked pretty thin when he was on Conan last week.

I thought so as well...well he was thin everywhere, but his legs in particular were very thin...That suit was very tailored and skinny leg pants so it was obvious his legs were very thin (downright bony).

I think the reason why people are confused is because they're looking for plans in the writing. But I honestly don't know that there are any. I remember last season we thought they were heading for Amy to blow up at him or a break up, and instead we got Love Spell as a band aid on it all.

I especially don't think the writers are writing Amy the way they are for a reason at all, I think they just fell into the habit of writing her this way back in S6 and it's continuing to this day, because it's much easier to write her as just one of the other characters that react to Sheldon's madness than to write her as her own character that is kind of like Sheldon but not quite. In the first case, you have already a template to follow in the way the other 5 characters react to Sheldon and you just need to tweak it slightly to fit the role of "girlfriend", so that gives you just two template to work with: the "normal" characters and Sheldon. In the case of S4-5 Amy, you had three templates to work with: the "normal" characters, Sheldon and Sheldon 2.0. It's much easier not having to worry on a day-to-day basis about how to write Amy as Sheldon 2.0, because that requires stopping to think about whether the way she reacts and behaves makes sense with *her own* personality at pretty much every line and every plot. Writing her as the "normal" girl in a relationship with a weirdo is much easier to do, all the writers need to do is imagine themselves dating Sheldon. Which is pretty much what the whole plot of Fish Gut was about: Maria Ferrari Mary-Sueing her own experiences into the story.

It is utterly and completely about the change in management and how the show is being run. Prady used to say that the way they wrote Shamy was by asking themselves "Wait. This is how normal couples do it, how would Shamy do it?". Key word: wait. There is no "Wait" anymore. There is no double-checking whether it makes sense for who she was and why she was invented in the first place. Molaro said he is not good at writing jokes and therefore delegates those out to other writers, and that's how this whole sex-starved thing has probably spiraled out of control. Because they're not stopping to ask themselves "Wait. Is this going too far?". 

They don't plan very far ahead and I don't think they'll ever have Amy give him an ultimatum because that's not the way they want this relationship to progress. Despite it all, they don't want to make Sheldon move by coercion, they want him to move because he wants to. The problem is, they don't look like they're going to let him want to for a long while, because him wanting to goes against the idea some (of them) have of the character. The main problem I see with this is that the longer you write this couple like this, the longer you keep Sheldon from wanting to move on and the longer you write Amy as wanting more, the harder it's going to be to move forward because you slowly establish such a very consistently emphasized dynamic (Amy wants more, Sheldon doesn't) that it's going to be harder to change things up without making it come across as OOC. And I am beginning to worry that we are reaching that point now, and that it's unlikely we'll ever see the "old" Amy back, especially. 

eta: Actually, looking at the promo for this week, I think this episode will give us a good hint as to whether the writers even remember what Amy was like before meeting Sheldon and be consistent with that or just go with new-Amy even in flashback. From the little we know so far, it seems like they are sticking to realistic scenarios for the other characters: Bernadette ignores Howard at the Cheesecake Factory, Leonard is all clumsy and too shy to ask Penny out, Penny might be dating Zack. If Amy is anything but her robotic self at the beginning it means they don't even remember how she was and that the whole "nerdy girl who came out of her shell" explanation for her change is just an excuse for "We just wanted to change her".

Amen to all of this wrapped in a flour tortilla with a side of guacamole.

I see that even molaro who loves Lenny is OK with throwing them under the bus

They are not thrown under the bus.  While this came across "negative" in many ways, I think it is part of a larger arc that is going to be very, very good for Lenny shippers.   I am surprised they left it as such a cliffhanger though.

The main problem I see with this is that the longer you write this couple like this, the longer you keep Sheldon from wanting to move on and the longer you write Amy as wanting more, the harder it's going to be to move forward because you slowly establish such a very consistently emphasized dynamic (Amy wants more, Sheldon doesn't) that it's going to be harder to change things up without making it come across as OOC.

Koops, this has been a concern of mine and I do think we are close to that point, but after reading the taping reports, I am starting to think the tide may be close to turning. I like the fact that Sheldon tells Amy that he wished she had gone with him to Texas.  This is a huge confession from Sheldon.  He  would never have revealed that much.  She asked if he missed her...and his response not only tells her that he missed her but that he wanted her with him and with his family.  I think that is a huge revelation (far more than we have seen in a season and a half with these two).   LIkewise his putting her photo on his screensaver is amazing.  That is so not like Sheldon because it would be too "hippie dippy" for him.   So that says his feelings for her are so strong that every day he wants to see her photo on his computer screen.  That is a huge revelation  as well.  So the fact that they gave us these tidbits are such a HUGE Christmas present to Shamy fans and much needed at this time.  

Next we have him flirting in a very Sheldon-like way by using the guise of wanting to be funny to drop his drawers in front of Amy to let her get a gander at his "package" (covered by his undies, but still).   He has a smirk on his face as he does this which is a trademark of Sheldon's when he flirts with Amy...he always has a smirk.   So I think they continue to show us progress one episode later.   Sheldon doesn't know how to make a move.  He is still like an adolescent so while this is a childish way to make a move, it is very in keeping with his character.  I think this and the flower prank were his way of trying to show Amy he is making a move....but of course she probably isn't entirely understanding that because it is a bit "unusual" even from someone like Sheldon.  ;)  It isn't overt, but definitely oddball enough to be characteristic of him. 

I am hoping that going through the family experience, witnessing the birth of his nephew is bringing on the tide change we need.  I am hoping it means that Sheldon is starting to think about things and become more "serious" with Amy.

• Like 4

Koops, this has been a concern of mine and I do think we are close to that point, but after reading the taping reports, I am starting to think the tide may be close to turning. I like the fact that Sheldon tells Amy that he wished she had gone with him to Texas.  This is a huge confession from Sheldon.  He  would never have revealed that much.  She asked if he missed her...and his response not only tells her that he missed her but that he wanted her with him and with his family.  I think that is a huge revelation (far more than we have seen in a season and a half with these two).   LIkewise his putting her photo on his screensaver is amazing.  That is so not like Sheldon because it would be too "hippie dippy" for him.   So that says his feelings for her are so strong that every day he wants to see her photo on his computer screen.  That is a huge revelation  as well.  So the fact that they gave us these tidbits are such a HUGE Christmas present to Shamy fans and much needed at this time.  

Next we have him flirting in a very Sheldon-like way by using the guise of wanting to be funny to drop his drawers in front of Amy to let her get a gander at his "package" (covered by his undies, but still).   He has a smirk on his face as he does this which is a trademark of Sheldon's when he flirts with Amy...he always has a smirk.   So I think they continue to show us progress one episode later.   Sheldon doesn't know how to make a move.  He is still like an adolescent so while this is a childish way to make a move, it is very in keeping with his character.  I think this and the flower prank were his way of trying to show Amy he is making a move....but of course she probably isn't entirely understanding that because it is a bit "unusual" even from someone like Sheldon.  ;)  It isn't overt, but definitely oddball enough to be characteristic of him. 

I am hoping that going through the family experience, witnessing the birth of his nephew is bringing on the tide change we need.  I am hoping it means that Sheldon is starting to think about things and become more "serious" with Amy.

Star your post gave my so many warm feelings to my heart, especially the parts in bold! I definitely see this as a way of flirting too. Just these words "Sheldon is flirting with Amy" have my heart filled with Shamy feels! The thing that he is actually flirting with her, it is so beyond sweet I can't describe. So looking forward to this episode!

Edited by Catlina
  • Like 5

Star your post gave my so many warm feelings to my heart, especially the parts in bold! I definitely see this as a way of flirting too. Just these words "Sheldon is flirting with Amy" have my heart filled with Shamy feels! The thing that he is actually flirting with her, it is so beyond sweet I can't describe. So looking forward to this episode!

Same here, my fangirl heart (and I'm not even a girl) is melting all over the place.

I am gonna be watching this episode many, many times!!!

• Like 3

I was enjoying the view last night ;) whoops, did I just type that?

I'll bet a lot of ppl will when it airs !!

Now if we can get a shot of Amy too in her frilly nighties, I can be happy too ;)

• Like 3

You're of the male persuasion, Chiany? I always assumed you were a lady. But then that's a bad habit of mine. *rolleyes*

haha, yes I am.

And don't worry, you're not the first here to think that ;)

• Like 2

haha, yes I am.

And don't worry, you're not the first here to think that ;)

Guessing gender here is like the most difficult thing. It's always hilarious go find out that someone is a male rather than female after all this time.

• Like 2

I apparently exude a male vibe, if that's any consolation. Even more specifically a gay British guy vibe (or so I've been told) LOL.

I usually get vibes from avatars, so I always assumed you were a girl too Chiany. :p 

I usually get vibes from avatars, so I always assumed you were a girl too Chiany. :p

I am just a (hopeless) sappy romantic, especially when it comes to Shamy, hence the avatar and signature.

Maybe I should ask Raj advice on being butch....

• Like 2

I am just a (hopeless) sappy romantic, especially when it comes to Shamy, hence the avatar and signature.

Maybe I should ask Raj advice on being butch....

Haha! I also think it's because you and Star have the same one, so I always get you two mixed up. It's great to see guys come out of lurkedom in the name of Shamy! It's often been "accused" to be a girly ship on these boards but I know there's tons of male supporters and fans of Mayim, going by FB, Youtube etc, so it's nice to finally get some representation from the other gender on here too :) 

• Like 4

Haha! I also think it's because you and Star have the same one, so I always get you two mixed up. It's great to see guys come out of lurkedom in the name of Shamy! It's often been "accused" to be a girly ship on these boards but I know there's tons of male supporters and fans of Mayim, going by FB, Youtube etc, so it's nice to finally get some representation from the other gender on here too :)

No doubt there are many guys who ship the Shamy, but don't admit it.

I just don't see a problem with it, and I usually don't really care what others think about me (sounds harsher than it's suppose to be).

So this a call out to all male shippers of the Shamy, time to come out of the closet ;)

• Like 7