The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

Right, that's pretty much what I meant, but I'm saying that for me, even little things that I didn't like about the episode was pretty nonexistent until the latter half of season six. I was pretty much happy with everything until the infamous "bear paw" line came along. I don't think that I was thrilled that Amy and Sheldon officially became a couple, and the next thing we knew Sheldon was messing up and trying to fix it with jewelry (I'm one of the few who doesn't love the tiara thing like crazy. As Leonard said, it's a token thing which glosses over all the emotional problems. And to me that's pretty much what happened.) because Shamy didn't really get to have any honeymoon period. It's like they were falling for each other, and becoming best friends, then they finally make it official and boom - conflict right off the bat. There was very little of the delight or even befuddlement of "how did this happen to us," or the couple being maybe overly sensitive to each other because this dating thing was so new and they were both happy about it. It wasn't even a short honeymoon period, there was no honeymoon period at all.

But I could live with that. Anyway. I never wrote off full episodes for single lines, no. And most of the time, I generally just like an episode. If there's something that has made me wince, and thrown off the ball game, it colors the episode. I can get past it, but I'll still remember it. Such as Speckerman - other than the insanely cliche joke about "I just have to outrun you" which really left a bad taste in my mouth, it's not a bad episode. The girls storyline was pretty inconsquential, but still cute.

Yup, I agree about the honeymoon period. They never let these two have any breathing room to bask in their progress happily before the next drama, and this table episode is the most glaring example. Drama, right off the bat. 

I did like the tiara thing though, not because I'm headcanoning out of the "token gesture that glosses over emotional problems", as I know very well that is what is going on there, but because 1) I think it's very realistic for a Sheldon who's in a relationship for the very first weeks to try and pull off a stunt like that (Sheldon going off into the deep end of confronting his flaws as a boyfriend would have been too much to ask at that stage) and 2) because despite the fact that it was just a token gesture, we see how Sheldon ends up showing why he's the perfect boyfriend for Amy after all, without even trying: to quote Jim "He knows what'll get her", even if not consciously. 

So, for the stage they were at in their relationship, all that conflict was realistic. I do agree though that it would have been nice to see at least some honeymoon period with them, instead of suddenly doing a 180 in terms of their connection: from Amy being fairly neutral and Sheldon pining for her to Sheldon not really giving a crap and Amy suddenly wanting things (which is what we're still stuck with 2 years later). 

• Like 5

Sorry, Chiany, maybe what I wasn't so clear about is that I don't mean the "honeymoon" period is a one-off thing. And similarly, conflict isn't a one-off. Both are part of a relationship. So it's absurd to expect them to only have honeymoon periods. Relationships grow just as strong, if not stronger, when getting through drama as they do when being happy.

What I mean is that you need "honeymoon periods" after a particular hurdle is overcome because that is what makes a relationship healthy. I don't think it should be treated as "Ok, we did Shamy happy together before they were a couple, now let's have them have conflict all the time" because what that seems to imply is that these two should have remained friends because they were happier before becoming official than after. Which I'm sure it isn't something the writers are trying to imply here, but that's how it often comes across. I don't think this was as pronounced in S5 as it is more recently though, because we saw them be happy together in S5 too: FWF, which is one of my favorite moments of theirs, came after they became official and to me was just brilliant. How they were in a relationship and yet still enjoying each other's company with their geeky interests. They were having so much fun. I love that episode. That's the kind of stuff that reminds me of why these two are made for each other, and the kind of stuff I need to see more of. 

• Like 5

Wow.  I don't know if I'm a bad fan or just not a deep thinker or what, but I find it hard to be upset about any particular line or episode or development (or maybe lack of development is a better term) in any of the episodes.

I don't think I'd ever be accused of being a Pollyanna or anything, but I don't think there's ever been an episode that I truly dislike.  I do think that some are less memorable than others, like Speckerman, but maybe not for the same reasons as other people.

With Speckerman, for instance, I remember some people complaining that they didn't like that the guys were ultimately still "defeated" by the bully, that they didn't win, after all.  But that never bothered me about the episode, nor did the "I just have to outrun you" line.  While that may not be original, it was still true. :p

For me, the thing I found a little tedious about that episode was the Speckerman guy himself.  He was rude and crass, but somehow I didn't find him memorable enough or something.  He wasn't all that funny, or whatever.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seemed like he wasn't quite as funny or menacing, in caricature, as I would have wanted him to be.  And maybe that's because of how his character turned up again in Leonard's life--approaching Leonard for help on his supposed big idea--rather than something like Leonard just encountering him somewhere.  I don't know.  I did like the funny run down at the beginning where Sheldon was asking if he was the guy who did this or that thing to Leonard--and Leonard's responses.

But when Speckerman actually shows up, it was kind of "meh".  I don't know.  I just know it's not an episode I get excited about when it shows up in syndication.  Still, I won't turn it off or anything.  I just might not pay as close attention to it as I would other episodes.

But things like the bear paw line never bothered me for whatever reason.  I guess I just didn't take it seriously as any kind of real measure of the Shamy relationship status.  Maybe it was just Sheldon's exaggerated way of expressing that he still doesn't like holding hands at the movies--though he obviously still consents to it.

And while one could argue that it shows that Amy is still putting up with Sheldon's behavior (rather than him being willing to do what she wants), I still don't see it as any kind of real tragedy for Amy.

Anyway, like I said, those things don't bother me.

I don't think there's any one line in any episode that colors my enjoyment of any episode.  I don't mind Sheldon being the comic relief, "puncturing" the drama in any scene.  I didn't even mind him being in the car when Penny took Leonard to the airport, apart from the fact that I think the lines they wrote for Sheldon were a little clumsy and heavy handed.  But I didn't think that Penny and Leonard lost anything in their goodbye scene with Sheldon being there.

But maybe that's just me.  I may be easily pleased.

• Like 4

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the writers all of a sudden have ShAmy in bed together to begin an episode. Then spend the rest of the episode telling the audience how they got there in the first place. All this while the rest of the gang are doing their own thing, completely unaware of the situation.

Edited by Javier V
  • Like 3

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the writers all of a sudden have ShAmy in bed together to begin an episode. Then spend the rest of the episode telling the audience how they got there in the first place. All this while the rest of the gang are doing their own thing, completely unaware of the situation.

While that does seem like a nice idea, it would be a little too How I Met Your Mother for me. I'd rather the first time be in an episode when we wouldn't expect it.

I've been quiet recently... But DAYUMMM! Some juicy tidbits are coming out from Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik?

I really am hopeful at the moment for Sheldon and Amy, I might be feeling weirdly optimistic but I feel oddly encouraged about the shamy. This ship really is one hell of a Rollercoaster... Let's all just ride this high together huh!?

Oh as well! I don't think the first time with Sheldon and Amy sharing a bed will be anything sexual but completely innocent... Any ideas how this may occur?

And discuss...

Edited by BazingaHND21
  • Like 3

Oh as well! I don't think the first time with Sheldon and Amy sharing a bed will be anything sexual but completely innocent... Any ideas how this may occur?

And discuss...

All I can think is :

BAM!! Coitus!!

• Like 5

I've been quiet recently... But DAYUMMM! Some juicy tidbits are coming out from Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik?

I really am hopeful at the moment for Sheldon and Amy, I might be feeling weirdly optimistic but I feel oddly encouraged about the shamy. This ship really is one hell of a Rollercoaster... Let's all just ride this high together huh!?

And discuss...

• Like 3

"Please tune in if that happens."

WE SURE WILL JIM.

Jokes aside, I could hear him talk about Shamy all day. Guess he doesn't know much, he's usually one to spill the beans... :p

I could hear Jim talk about anything all day. The man is fascinating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1