The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

Completely agree with the fact that this is the point wherein the writers really show the writing on the wall. I know they've been throwing all of these seemingly OOC!Sheldon to casual viewers but there has been change and this has been a constant elephant in the room some choose to ignore, most particularly Sheldon. While for an average person (and to an extent, Amy and the gang save for Leonard) he seemingly has been lacking, for Sheldon he has been stretching his limits and drawing the line bigger every time. The thing is, sometimes he catches himself too late. I think the scene wherein Amy tried to use her neuroscience knowledge to get him to show affection to her that one date night where she made him Strawberry Quik and spaghetti with hotdogs was very telling. Before he knew it, he was already asking for more - and I honestly think Amy does not need to manipulate him for him to react that way. Amy's own actions are a result of her own personal insecurities and uncertainties brought upon by a lot of external factors though Sheldon is not completely faultless either. The thing is, Sheldon is so drawn into her so he struggles not to get carried away too easily and constantly has to remind himself "to keep in line". I also think he was serious when he told her that living together would take the mystery away from their relationship. But what makes his situation more complex is because Sheldon will never allow his heart to defeat his mind - even when he was jealous with Stuart or Zack, he never acknowledged it ("I've considered it. I reject it."). This is a guy struggling and I hope the writers will be able to show that struggle better and not just make it seem that Sheldon is merely annoyed with Amy's advances. Thank God Jim's acting gives the character the nuances needed, but an actor can only work within the boundaries of material provided. The writers are spectacular but I do hope they give Shamy that nudge forward needed especially with regards Sheldon's inner conflicts about openly caring about the people he loves. But I think that is where the Proton episode comes in.

I can't agree with this enough!

• Like 1

I was watching earlier The Vacation Solution and even then it was wonderful how he managed to apologize in the end. Now it came more natural to him he just apologized like that.

p.s. I noticed how flirticious he was on The Vacation Solution while he was trying to apologize. Adorable!!!!

I love that episode, the way his voice breaks when he finally says "sorry".

• Like 4

I think that only Mary and Amy can pull the "real" Sheldon out from behind his mask of pride.

Yeah no doubt about it. Mary usually does it in a bit forceful way, but Amy usually does it very subtle, with her "bag of neuroscience tricks" .

That's why Sheldon "fights" back against his mother, but not against Amy, since he can see through his mothers intend (but still can't stop her).

• Like 1

It's really one of my favorite moments when Sheldon says sorry to Amy in the lab.. Think it's the biggest step in their relationship in season 5.

That "sorry" always make me think of this Shamyvideo. One of my all time favorites. The way that "sorry" is used in the latter part of it just melts my heart every single time!

http://youtu.be/-YLjwricc0U

• Like 2

Completely off topic, but I didn't realize how traumatic it would be to change my photo. 

Crown separation anxiety!  :mellow:

Is that an actual picture of you?

if so, yes, add a Crown to it.

Edited by Chiany

Is that an actual picture of you?

if so, yes, add a Crown to it.

Yes, it is indeed a picture of half my face. 

I still don't know where I would put a crown, the top of murr head is cut off. :icon_cry: 

Yeah no doubt about it. Mary usually does it in a bit forceful way, but Amy usually does it very subtle, with her "bag of neuroscience tricks" .

That's why Sheldon "fights" back against his mother, but not against Amy, since he can see through his mothers intend (but still can't stop her).

It's amazing how he fully gives in to her in this scene

http://youtu.be/6lQeVFgmxLU

Not only does he apologize - he even praises her and gives her a Texan ass-slap!  Sometimes alcohol does bring out the real Sheldon. 

To be honest, I started kinda early watching the show. Around 2009 while I was in uni. But whenever there wasn't a new episode, I would stop and probably start watching again two seasons later. Because of this inconsistency, I was wondering when does Sheldon exactly begin drinking alcohol. I recall he used to abhor it early on and only got drunk without his consent. But now he seems to be drinking and even acknowledges being drunk more casually than I expected.

It's amazing how he fully gives in to her in this scene

http://youtu.be/6lQeVFgmxLU

Not only does he apologize - he even praises her and gives her a Texan ass-slap!  Sometimes alcohol does bring out the real Sheldon. 

To be honest, I started kinda early watching the show. Around 2009 while I was in uni. But whenever there wasn't a new episode, I would stop and probably start watching again two seasons later. Because of this inconsistency, I was wondering when does Sheldon exactly begin drinking alcohol. I recall he used to abhor it early on and only got drunk without his consent. But now he seems to be drinking and even acknowledges being drunk more casually than I expected.

I wouldn't say Sheldon has ever really started drinking. He rarely ever does. The only times he's drank alcohol of his own will was in S3 to calm his nerves for the speech (and we saw how that went :p), at Howard's bachelor party because it was "a social convention" and in this ep when he accepts Mike's beer. I still think he most definitely is not a fan of alcohol and if he ever drinks they are extremely unusual or exceptional circumstances. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't say Sheldon has ever really started drinking. He rarely ever does. The only times he's drank alcohol of his own will was in S3 to calm his nerves for the speech (and we saw how that went :p), at Howard's bachelor party because it was "a social convention" and in this ep when he accepts Mike's beer. I still think he most definitely is not a fan of alcohol and if he ever drinks they are extremely unusual or exceptional circumstances. 

I agree, I think it's because he saw his father drinking a lot, and maybe after thanksgiving he fears alcohol makes him behave like his father did regarding Mary.

• Like 1

I agree, I think it's because he saw his father drinking a lot, and maybe after thanksgiving he fears alcohol makes him behave like his father did regarding Mary.

I think it's a combination of things. His father probably does play a role in his subconscious dislike of alcohol, but I also he finds drinking to be "beneath him" and to be a stupid form of behavior that he refuses to engage in out of principle. And I don't completely fault him on the latter. Although he sometimes exaggerates his aversion to unreasonable extents, like treating getting drunk and drinking a glass of an alcoholic beverage as if they're essentially the same behavior. Maybe that's because when he does drink he gets drunk, either because he doesn't know how to handle alcohol or has a very low tolerance to alcohol, so to him the two are essentially the same thing.

• Like 5

Also didn't he say something to Amy about people having a good time not achieving very much?

I think its sweet that even when they are all hanging out together say at a party or special ocassion he's the only one not drinking alcohol

Yeah he says that on girls night, before Amy kisses Penny and him.

Really, Amy? Tobacco and alcohol? Need I remind you not a lot of scientific discoveries were made by people having a good time?

• Like 1