The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

Amy's jealousy is sad but it made me think-- can you point out differences between Shelly's treatment of Amy and Penny, or Leonard for that matter (taking out the kissing and the relationship agreement, of course)? 

What do you think makes her relationship with him different from his other relationships? 

There are times when it feels like they just had her labeled, the "girlfriend" but there really is no difference, hence, i think, the jealousy or the expectation on Amy's part that he should be more open to her than to Penny

I honestly am applying my "evidence-based viewing" approach here. Because Amy's jealousy makes no sense given the context Shamy's relationship has been at since its inception. Not to mention, why would Amy be jealous when she essentially spends every waking moment with Sheldon? What happened in this episode sounds too much like it's some common girl self-insertion fantasy. Amy being insecure and trying to seduce her too-cool-for-her boyfriend, while at the same time she was complaining, apparently, that his "opening up to her" was tedious in the first place. This is one sloppy episode if I've ever seen one. It was all entirely set up or the psychic scene and that went nowehere. For the time being at least.

As for the relationship, particularly given the most recent developments, I agree with Phanta that there are overlaps but differences between the relationships. I mean, you could say this of almost anyone you know, that friendships and romantic relationships share similarities, and the main difference is the level and type of commitment and (romantic) intimacy. I do think it's easier for Sheldon to be open about his relationship with Amy to Leonard or Penny, because they're his friends. I don't think Sheldon would open up to Amy about his feelings for her until he's sorted them out completely. And that's fairly normal for anyone. 

Until recently, I was also asking the same question as you, but I think the main issue is in the way the writers hold their cards so close to their chest. It gets hard to see the difference between these relationships when you work so hard to never give any indication of straight-up feelings or attraction. And that's why it sometimes makes you question things. The problem is the inconsistency, they need to stop swinging back and forth on things, especially just so it serves as a plot device to state the obvious.

• Like 5

First time poster here. I just wanted to suggest something in regards Sheldon's relationship to Amy compared to others - I notice how people are sometimes concerned with his ease in talking with Penny or even hugging her, compared to Amy. First, I think there is more evidence than not that his relationship with Amy is very unique. But to address others' concerns, I look at it this way. Sheldon has a lot issues with being emotionally vulnerable, and when it comes to Amy, there is a lot more at stake with her emotionally than there is with anyone else, which means the stakes of getting hurt are a lot higher. This to me really is the thing with their relationship. For Sheldon, the emotional investment into Amy is higher than it is with any of his friends, so the pain of being hurt or rejected by her would be much greater, and I think the show has shown that he clearly fears this. So it's no wonder to me, that he prefers to keep things stable. In his mind, it's better to keep her near, than to take chances with her for the fear of being hurt. Furthermore, if you think about it, when we're attracted to somebody, we put a lot more weight into what they think of us, and every little touch means so much more. It's easier to touch and hug platonic friends than it is to touch or hug the person you're attracted to, because those touches aren't as loaded with all the emotions and romantic/sexual tension. This is even more compounded when you're emotionally guarded and closed off. So don't underestimate Sheldon's fear, however irrational, of being hurt and rejected by Amy.

In other words, of course it's easier for Sheldon to open up or touch others than it is with Amy, because the risk of being personally hurt by them means less to him than it would to be hurt by her. To touch her means so much more emotionally than it does with anyone else, and that carries greater risks and complications, which of course means Sheldon, with where he is at now, is going to hold back with Amy. On the flip side, we've seen multiple times in which he's sought Amy's advice and guidance, because he values her good opinion that much.

Also, I just want to say that I really enjoyed your analysis Phantgrae.

• Like 7

Hmmm, yeah, there are instances where the writers make the characters consistent/easy to read but, just like that taping earlier, indeed they have the potential to wear you out by indulging your expectation one moment and then disappointing you the next.

Well, wth, I like watching BBT just the same. It's still mostly delightful to witness the gang's self-discoveries, progressions, and regressions anyway. :) And we have wonderful episodes coming up. So, Yay!

I remember my friend got so pissed off with the way HIMYM ended; I felt so smug that I was watching BBT and told her I'm confident the writers of the show I'm fangirling on won't mess with fans that way. Hah.
Edited by Miss Carmeli
  • Like 2

Sheldon complained about Amy wanting to hold hands too much, does that mean they did actually hold hands off-screen? 

I'm OK with this complaining as long as he seems to enjoy kissing her as much as he did for 2 SIKs so far. :p

• Like 3

Seriously, this is like the Shamy version of the Shenny laundry room scene in Cooper Extraction. But with gulping and talk of "under that skirt". Oh, Sheldon.

ay ay ay bang bang! :p

Hahahaha I laughed so much at that!!! Awww I love that they do everything in a quirky way...So Shelly doesn't have to save himself anymore :p :p

• Like 3

All this 'ayyyyyy' stuff is seriously making me giggle.

Sheldon just uttering the words 'under that skirt' is enough to make me laugh. Under that skirt is a treasure trove if you just push yourself Sheldon!

Ayyyyyyyyy Lol!

• Like 4

I'm confused by this episode! Maybe when I see it, it will make more sense. I guess a lot depends on which take they use for the tag scene. I certainly hope Sheldon doesn't have the same indifferent reaction as he did with the Snow White tag scene. Otherwise it's just Amy clumsily trying to seduce the clueless Sheldon, and we've been there many times before.

I'm not sure why Amy thought the schoolgirl outfit would "work" on Sheldon. I'm guessing that's a particular fantasy for Howard because he's Jewish and it's the whole "forbidden fruit" thing  :p Plus, both Bernadette and Penny use sex to manipulate their men (in this case, to get them to accept their apologies) and that certainly wouldn't work on Sheldon (or maybe it would now, who knows???) I mentioned in chat that she would have been a lot better off wearing that Star Trek outfit she wore a while ago  ;)

Anyway, I agree with you that this is a setup for the final 2 episodes. You guys may be right that an ILY is in the works, or that Sheldon does something to show how much he cares for her (not necessarily sexual). 

• Like 6

Seriously, this is like the Shamy version of the Shenny laundry room scene in Cooper Extraction. But with gulping and talk of "under that skirt". Oh, Sheldon.

ay ay ay bang bang! :p

Hahahaha I laughed so much at that!!! Awww I love that they do everything in a quirky way...So Shelly doesn't have to save himself anymore :p :p

All this 'ayyyyyy' stuff is seriously making me giggle.

Sheldon just uttering the words 'under that skirt' is enough to make me laugh. Under that skirt is a treasure trove if you just push yourself Sheldon!

Ayyyyyyyyy Lol!

All this conversation gives me hibbie-jibbies  :girlhaha:

I think, Amy not definitely wants to seduce him, but make him to forgive her -- borrowing the idea from Bernie, yes, but it's not the same... Dunno, I find it innocent and cute and "shamy". Lllllllove it!  :curtsey:

Edited by Frieda Rainstorm
  • Like 4

I'm confused by this episode! Maybe when I see it, it will make more sense. I guess a lot depends on which take they use for the tag scene. I certainly hope Sheldon doesn't have the same indifferent reaction as he did with the Snow White tag scene. Otherwise it's just Amy clumsily trying to seduce the clueless Sheldon, and we've been there many times before.

I'm not sure why Amy thought the schoolgirl outfit would "work" on Sheldon. I'm guessing that's a particular fantasy for Howard because he's Jewish and it's the whole "forbidden fruit" thing  :p Plus, both Bernadette and Penny use sex to manipulate their men (in this case, to get them to accept their apologies) and that certainly wouldn't work on Sheldon (or maybe it would now, who knows???) I mentioned in chat that she would have been a lot better off wearing that Star Trek outfit she wore a while ago  ;)

Anyway, I agree with you that this is a setup for the final 2 episodes. You guys may be right that an ILY is in the works, or that Sheldon does something to show how much he cares for her (not necessarily sexual). 

Either Amy knows something we don't or the writers are going nuts. They always made it clear that physical appearance neer worked on Sheldon, I get that they're kissing now and things have changed, but I agree with you that a catholic school unifom would work just as much as the snow white outfit did. Star Trek on the other hand...

• Like 4

First of all thank tot for the taping report!!!!!! :) Really appreciated :) :)

Well, tbh I don't know if I like that episode or not. On one hand I realize that is a set up cause before every move Sheldon has to go through denial. So, it's definitely not bad in a way that makes me concrerned now I believe even more that something major shamy wise will happen. But it's the little stuff I don't care about.

While I like it that Bernie and Amy are hanging out alone I don't care about the reason they did. I would prefer if the did that sometimes after that convention they went together cause they like hanging out. I don't understand why Amy complains that Sheldon doesn't open up to her if she finds him tedious. Not that I cannot imagine Sheldon being very irritating about the whole thing but still..

I am ok with handholding thing. I mean he never really liked it and I don't blame him. As long as he likes the kiss I am ok with it!!! :) :) But I didn't really care about the "she talks too much" line. Same goes with the "who know what's making her ill". It's the little stuff.

I think people covered Amy's jealousy of Sheldon and Penny very well. It's absurd cause he does open up to her. I suppose she says that cause he never told her himself that he cares. But I don't know I think him kissing is enough proof that he tries for that relationship. Of course he likes it but he would never try it if it wasn't with Amy.

Finally, Amy seducing Sheldon in a hot outfit???? The thing is last time she made a sexual innuendo and got a disapproving look from Sheldon she seemed really ashamed. And she is the one that does nothing during kissing!!!!! I hope this is another example of Amy being all talk and no action. I seriously doubt even she expected for something to happen. I mean for real. I think because she is so certain he won't respond that she seems so bold.

Ok enough with complaining :p I don't think it will be a bad episode or an unfunny one. I love Sheldon and Penny bonding over their failure cause who would expect that Sheldon would struggle about his job. Definitely not him!!! I love the Amy Bernadette bonding too cause they do have a lot in common!! As koops pointed out here I think the whole ILY thing when the girls got caught is reallyyyyy interesting!!! One moments she talks to Sheldon and then she says to Penny that they love her???? Lol do you guys imagine Sheldon saying that he loves her and Amy not saying it back????? Well if that happened it would probably be cause she freezed or something :p Anyway the psychic thing is huge IMO. It's a forshadow about the goodness that will come!!!!! And the shallow when Sheldon sees Amy makes the whole scene A LOT different!!!!!!!! And way more interesting!!!!! I really hope there is kind of an eye coitus moment after that. It just confused me a little. All this time we all wonder what will be on the finale and personaly I lean towards ILY. And the psychic thing indicates that and then they go on and have that scene with Amy trying to seduce Sheldon and probably him being affected by her. I don't believe we will have sex this year but this be setting up the stage for Sheldon coming on to her and Amy backing out???? Oh girl you're so playing with fire :p

I also loved what Andy said.Forever and ever!!! I would love it even if she spelled it backwards!!! <3 <3 <3 <3

I anticipate this episode more about seeing Mayim in an Amy style hot outfit than for the actual story. Probably the fact that it come after 3 awesome episodes is what is wrong. Either way it seems like a good episode and probably funny and if the keep Sheldon being affected by her it will be another huge step about Sheldon. I'll wait and see how all these things actually play out!!!

Sorry about the rant I hope it wasn't tiring :)

eta: Ok I know I have made some mistakes but it's a bit difficult to correct that from my phone. I apologize. Plus Frieda thank you for pointing out that Amy wanted Sheldon to forgive her and not to seduce him. Actually I doubt she really knew what could happen if Sheldon wanted to be seduced. I suppose she would still be running!!!(or at least that's what I like to believe until the writers prove me wrong :p )

Edited by Cecilia
  • Like 4

I don't think Amy meant to seduce him really. I think she was just seeing what his reaction would be like. He dismissed her so easily with the Snow White outfit. But this time he actually noticed and gulped. (Hopefully they will keep that in!)

• Like 4

I see a lot of posts about how sloppy the writing of the latest reported episode is, and I do agree to a certain extent. i do think that what Amy meant by Sheldon not opening up is him not being able to fully show his vulnerable side. I'm pretty sure there are people saying "him complaining is already a sign of vulnerability" and "have you seen the other episodes? they are absolutely close!" yes, but i have several theories about what Amy meant:

1. Penny & Sheldon closeness

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who notices this, but if you compare Sheldon and Penny to Sheldon and Amy, there are several differences in the way they interact. First off, Sheldon almost always talks to Amy about intellectual topics while Sheldon usually talks to Penny about things like her career or relationship with Leonard or casual things. Have we seen Sheldon actually ask Amy about her family or something not related to anything intellectual? Yeah they do talk about her career, but never about more personal things. Maybe that's what Amy's jealous of.

2. Psychics

Basically, I think what Amy meant by her not getting Sheldon to do anything might mean doing something outside Sheldon's comfort zone. Observe the things Amy has made him do. Talk to his newborn nephew, make a hot beverage for people who are upset, apologize for being annoying. At a certain extent, it is outside his comfort zone, but not to the point that it is ridiculous to him. Psychics are the kind of things Sheldon thinks is ridiculous, yet Penny got him to go anyway. That's what I think makes her jealous. She couldn't get him to do things outside his comfort zone, particularly things regarding intimacy. Yeah they held hands, they kissed and the list goes on (which i must add, took years) but I'm refering to other types of intimacy like their dating escapades. She had to trick him just to get him to a valentines day date. Alot of things had to do with Amy outwiting Sheldon. Sheldon just went ahead with Penny (psychics) knowing what was in store, not being tricked.

3. Feelings

In another theory, I think Amy senses that Sheldon is hiding his real feeligs for her, and that's what she meant by him not opening up to her. He has made great progress when he told Amy he likes her, quirks and all, but they've never been as open about their love as Howardette or Lenny. Amy craves that.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I hope I made sense.

• Like 8

I see a lot of posts about how sloppy the writing of the latest reported episode is, and I do agree to a certain extent. i do think that what Amy meant by Sheldon not opening up is him not being able to fully show his vulnerable side. I'm pretty sure there are people saying "him complaining is already a sign of vulnerability" and "have you seen the other episodes? they are absolutely close!" yes, but i have several theories about what Amy meant:

1. Penny & Sheldon closeness

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who notices this, but if you compare Sheldon and Penny to Sheldon and Amy, there are several differences in the way they interact. First off, Sheldon almost always talks to Amy about intellectual topics while Sheldon usually talks to Penny about things like her career or relationship with Leonard or casual things. Have we seen Sheldon actually ask Amy about her family or something not related to anything intellectual? Yeah they do talk about her career, but never about more personal things. Maybe that's what Amy's jealous of.

2. Psychics

Basically, I think what Amy meant by her not getting Sheldon to do anything might mean doing something outside Sheldon's comfort zone. Observe the things Amy has made him do. Talk to his newborn nephew, make a hot beverage for people who are upset, apologize for being annoying. At a certain extent, it is outside his comfort zone, but not to the point that it is ridiculous to him. Psychics are the kind of things Sheldon thinks is ridiculous, yet Penny got him to go anyway. That's what I think makes her jealous. She couldn't get him to do things outside his comfort zone, particularly things regarding intimacy. Yeah they held hands, they kissed and the list goes on (which i must add, took years) but I'm refering to other types of intimacy like their dating escapades. She had to trick him just to get him to a valentines day date. Alot of things had to do with Amy outwiting Sheldon. Sheldon just went ahead with Penny (psychics) knowing what was in store, not being tricked.

3. Feelings

In another theory, I think Amy senses that Sheldon is hiding his real feeligs for her, and that's what she meant by him not opening up to her. He has made great progress when he told Amy he likes her, quirks and all, but they've never been as open about their love as Howardette or Lenny. Amy craves that.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I hope I made sense.

Wow!  It sounds like I missed a lot last night.  Off to read the taping report!

Edited by Anita Rez