The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

Deep in their hearts, women in love don´t like their boyfriends/ husbands have a close relationship with a "long time" female friend.( And it is for men too) It is as old as the world is! I understand Amy! She loves Penny but....

I'd really like a make out session for the finale but there's a hint from the taping report which you guys already pointed out that it's more likely to be an ILY for the finale. 

I agree that at this point it would be better to treat emotional aspect in the relationship before going further in the physical step.

An ILY and a mutual kiss!

• Like 5

Welcome Lib!  :bye:    I like your analysis and Phanta's comments as well on the differences between his relationship with Penny and Amy.  Very insightful.

I was thinking about this whole comment about "talking too much" and not liking the hand holding and here are some thoughts about it.   We see the Psychic tell Sheldon [talking about the "dark haired woman he is romantically involved with] "You are having difficulty being close to her" and she says as well "He [meaning Sheldon in response to Penny questioning what he should do] He should give himself to this relationship.   Once he does, all his other pursuits will come into focus."  Penny then says "Sheldon, you get that?  Amy is the key to your happiness."  and the psychic says "Exactly.  Personally, professionally -- everything will fall into place once you commit to this woman."   It is here that Sheldon calls it all malarkey and leaves, but Penny tells the psychic that she hit a nerve (cluing the audience in that she really did hit a nerve with him).  

Okay, so think about what we have seen so far since Amy was introduced.  We see a Sheldon become immediately attached to Amy and truly enjoy everything about her.  We see him write up a detailed Relationship Agreement, ask her to he girlfriend and present her with it.   We then see him start to develop feelings of affection for her and clearly begin to fight his growing feelings of affection for her (S6 latter half).   Finally he realizes the fight is futile and enjoys having feelings of affections for her and begins to brag about his being in a relationship with her and that it is "physical... holding hands on hot days even".   He finally kisses her (initially brought on while trying to win an argument) and liked it.   So he adds kissing to their relationship.   But through ALL of this, Sheldon has yet to care about Amy's thoughts, aspirations, dreams, etc.  

Sheldon has made his dreams clear.  He wants the Nobel Prize.  He wants to have everyone know he is brilliant.   He believes he chose the higher calling and higher order Science.   He has waved off Amy's work as unimportant (at least to her and sometimes to Penny).  Sometimes he will brag about her to others, but not where she knows he has done so.  So to her, he could care less about her work, about her aspirations, about her hobbies, etc.   He always does everything "favoring him".   He never takes interest in her, well not at least since he first was getting to know her and learned about her doing surgery on her own web feet.  But he really has dismissed everything that makes Amy who she is.  He has even dismissed her family without ever knowing a thing about them.  He has never asked about her family.

Therefore, I think the finale is going to be about a selfless Sheldon. One that finds that he needs to care about Amy truly in every way.  That means listening to her, encouraging her, showing her that she means the world to him and that he loves all of her, including her love for literature, hunting men for kill as amusement, her monkeys, her family, her field of study and yes her body, mind and soul.   We need to see him totally commit that it is not a one-sided relationship (which it has pretty much been).   Sure he has loosened up on his germaphobia for her, but his heart has held back really caring about the things that make Amy tick.   Sure he adores her, but he doesn't want to hear about her day or her studies or her aspirations or hobbies and anything that interests her.  He wants her listening to him always.   This is key.  This is why she feels her relationship lacks intimacy.   He feels they are very intimate because she has always been the one there encouraging him, supporting him, listening to him, and doing activities he loves.   But she has not gotten the same back.

Amy has confused sexual intimacy with true intimacy.  She is missing someone loving her and caring about her ups and downs and her life.   Her sneaking out to meet Bernadette tells me that she was really needing that kind of relationship  Bernie does listen to her and does share common interests with her.   So after hearing Sheldon drag on and on about himself, she needed someone to ask about her.  Bernie was a willing participant to help listen.  

Amy mentioning about being jealous does begin to make sense when you think about it.   She is jealous because Sheldon does listen to Penny talk about her hopes, dreams, aspirations and offers her advice and often sides with her on arguments that show he understands Penny.  (Which by the way, I preferred the polar opposites than BFF version of these two).   So Amy is feeling a bit like she is being left out.   Sheldon gets Penny, he spends time knowing her.   But for all the hours he spends with Amy, he doesn't show any interest in the full Amy.   She feels squelched out.   So it makes sense that she would envy their relationship.  She wants Sheldon to care about her hopes and dreams (which I do think a part of him does care about, but he doesn't want to discuss or talk about for some reason).   She needs him to show enough caring that he will listen.  He will comfort her when things go wrong at work, and cheer her on when she accomplishes big things.

Thinking back about the Tiara episode...this was the first evidence that this would be a problem for them in achieving full intimacy.   So the psychic was telling him the right thing here.   It is all about Sheldon being less selfish and giving in to a truly loving and intimate relationship with Amy which means more than just the physical side, but truly emotionally giving in and being selfless.

This explanation is absolutely perfect :')

• Like 3

it is all about perception I think.  I agree with everything you say here, but Amy probably views it slightly different because when you care about someone you do "skew" events sometimes in your mind.  She cares so much for Sheldon and wants him to love her as much as she loves him.  I think he does, in his own weird way, but she doesn't sense it or feel it because he is so selfish and dismisses her feelings all the time.  She is 'perceiving' that to not be the case with Penny though and that is the difference.  What we see and what she perceives are likely going to be slightly different because she is emotionally invested in him and she doesn't have a view of half or more even of the things we see when it comes to the Sheldon/Penny friendship.  She only hears what Penny tells her and sees him taking sides with Penny against her (or Leonard) at times.  So you can understand her skewed perception.   I think that is what the writers are trying to bring out with the comment.  It came out of left field to the viewer because we have a fuller picture than Amy does and because we have never seen any incident of it.  

But I really sat and thought about the words being chosen in this episode and it started to click and make sense.  I think the intimacy issue is key and it all needs to show Sheldon "giving" and being less selfish and more caring toward her.

This is very true. It's the same thing as in Cooper Extraction. But I guess what doesn't sit quite right with me is the timing of this episode. I think all this stuff would have made so much sense back in late S6, or even early S7. Or even immediately after Table. But now it just seems misplaced. They are kissing on a regular basis, touching more than ever, she's tucking him in when he's drunk, he's been showing her off in front of people, she has had three different people telling her what an impact she's made on Sheldon in the past few months, she had Sheldon show up at her door telling her that no matter how hard "she makes the relationship with her nonsense", he likes her the way she is. I just feel like this would have resonated a lot more at another time in their relationship. I wish the writers would stick to one plot (either Shamy having drama, or Shamy having a honeymoon period) and see it through, rather than going back and forth. Of course, life is never all roses or all doom, but the pendulum swings a bit too much sometimes for it to make sense.

• Like 8

I'd really like a make out session for the finale but there's a hint from the taping report which you guys already pointed out that it's more likely to be an ILY for the finale. 

I agree that at this point it would be better to treat emotional aspect in the relationship before going further in the physical step. 

31849-why-dont-we-have-both-gif-meme-Ifm

(sorry couldn't resist)

Edited by tyleranne
  • Like 6

This is very true. It's the same thing as in Cooper Extraction. But I guess what doesn't sit quite right with me is the timing of this episode. I think all this stuff would have made so much sense back in late S6, or even early S7. Or even immediately after Table. But now it just seems misplaced. They are kissing on a regular basis, touching more than ever, she's tucking him in when he's drunk, he's been showing her off in front of people, she has had three different people telling her what an impact she's made on Sheldon in the past few months, she had Sheldon show up at her door telling her that no matter how hard "she makes the relationship with her nonsense", he likes her the way she is. I just feel like this would have resonated a lot more at another time in their relationship. I wish the writers would stick to one plot (either Shamy having drama, or Shamy having a honeymoon period) and see it through, rather than going back and forth. Of course, life is never all roses or all doom, but the pendulum swings a bit too much sometimes for it to make sense.

I do think the timing is a bit strange, but I think it is leading to an even greater emotional breakthrough for Sheldon.   See the thing that stuck out to me the most in this episode was the fact that Amy used the excuse she was sick, yet Sheldon didn't even act as if he cared or even knew what from.    Yet in S6 we had him taking care of her for days and not thinking twice about it.   So why did he suddenly dismiss the fact that she was sick. (I am surprised no one brought this out yet.)  Then it struck me, that sure it is inconsistent and poorly timed, but it is all to drive home the point they are trying to make.  :sclerosis:

Amy is a trinket to Sheldon.  He treasures the trinket and pulls it off his shelf and talks to it and even lightly fondles it, but then sets it back on the shelf when he wants to focus on something else.   All the time it collects dust between those moments.

He loves to have Amy with him.  He values her input when he wants it.  But otherwise, he really doesn't want to hear her.  He will talk and talk, fuss and fuss, go on and on, but she is to listen, offer insight now and again, and calm him.  If she has something to say about her life, she had better save that for others.   Right now that is pretty much their relationship in a nutshell.

They did time some of this strangely and drive home the points through inconsistencies and annoying lines, but I think it makes sense when you realize the poor girl is starving for someone to care about her and her thoughts and what makes her tick.   She knows Sheldon cares for her, but she doesn't feel the intimacy with him that he feels from her.   She gives him all of her, but he only gives her a little of him.  

I think they could have chosen other ways throughout the season to build to this point, but evidently they came up with where they wanted to end without thinking through the journey as logical as it could have been and thereby timed things better. :girlwink:  Honestly, I would have done the whole first two episodes different and not had Sheldon focus on getting closer to Penny (because he was already close to her) and instead had some of these issues start to come forward so that by this point in the season, they didn't have to make it come through in such a poorly timed and oddball manner.   But Molaro wanted Sheldon/Penny to be dominate and it didn't happen.  I always thought he made a very strange choice and still do in some ways, but now it makes more sense why he focused on them being closer if it was to lead to showing the contrast of how Sheldon relates to Penny versus shuts down Amy when it comes to Amy talking about what makes her tick.   If it was to lead to a selfless (or at least more selfless version) of him, I guess I can better understand their choice. I still think it could have been done different, but I don't get a say in the matter.  :laugh:

• Like 7

I do think the timing is a bit strange, but I think it is leading to an even greater emotional breakthrough for Sheldon.   See the thing that stuck out to me the most in this episode was the fact that Amy used the excuse she was sick, yet Sheldon didn't even act as if he cared or even knew what from.    Yet in S6 we had him taking care of her for days and not thinking twice about it.   So why did he suddenly dismiss the fact that she was sick. (I am surprised no one brought this out yet.)  Then it struck me, that sure it is inconsistent and poorly timed, but it is all to drive home the point they are trying to make.  :sclerosis:

Amy is a trinket to Sheldon.  He treasures the trinket and pulls it off his shelf and talks to it and even lightly fondles it, but then sets it back on the shelf when he wants to focus on something else.   All the time it collects dust between those moments.

He loves to have Amy with him.  He values her input when he wants it.  But otherwise, he really doesn't want to hear her.  He will talk and talk, fuss and fuss, go on and on, but she is to listen, offer insight now and again, and calm him.  If she has something to say about her life, she had better save that for others.   Right now that is pretty much their relationship in a nutshell.

They did time some of this strangely and drive home the points through inconsistencies and annoying lines, but I think it makes sense when you realize the poor girl is starving for someone to care about her and her thoughts and what makes her tick.   She knows Sheldon cares for her, but she doesn't feel the intimacy with him that he feels from her.   She gives him all of her, but he only gives her a little of him.  

I think they could have chosen other ways throughout the season to build to this point, but evidently they came up with where they wanted to end without thinking through the journey as logical as it could have been and thereby timed things better. :girlwink:  Honestly, I would have done the whole first two episodes different and not had Sheldon focus on getting closer to Penny (because he was already close to her) and instead had some of these issues start to come forward so that by this point in the season, they didn't have to make it come through in such a poorly timed and oddball manner.   But Molaro wanted Sheldon/Penny to be dominate and it didn't happen.  I always thought he made a very strange choice and still do in some ways, but now it makes more sense why he focused on them being closer if it was to lead to showing the contrast of how Sheldon relates to Penny versus shuts down Amy when it comes to Amy talking about what makes her tick.   If it was to lead to a selfless (or at least more selfless version) of him, I guess I can better understand their choice. I still think it could have been done different, but I don't get a say in the matter.  :laugh:

I agree with what you're saying, but I think Sheldon has been, at least in his own mind, giving her a lot by kissing. Even though he appears to be enjoying it, we have to remember that this is something he's been strictly against all his life, something he's thought was completely pointless. He wouldn't kiss just anybody. Only Amy. And I think it's huge that he's made it to this point. But I do think he needs to be more open with her. He's either in denial or being ignorant or both about how he feels, and what Amy needs from him.

• Like 6

Welcome Lib!  :bye:    I like your analysis and Phanta's comments as well on the differences between his relationship with Penny and Amy.  Very insightful.

I was thinking about this whole comment about "talking too much" and not liking the hand holding and here are some thoughts about it.   We see the Psychic tell Sheldon [talking about the "dark haired woman he is romantically involved with] "You are having difficulty being close to her" and she says as well "He [meaning Sheldon in response to Penny questioning what he should do] He should give himself to this relationship.   Once he does, all his other pursuits will come into focus."  Penny then says "Sheldon, you get that?  Amy is the key to your happiness."  and the psychic says "Exactly.  Personally, professionally -- everything will fall into place once you commit to this woman."   It is here that Sheldon calls it all malarkey and leaves, but Penny tells the psychic that she hit a nerve (cluing the audience in that she really did hit a nerve with him).  

Okay, so think about what we have seen so far since Amy was introduced.  We see a Sheldon become immediately attached to Amy and truly enjoy everything about her.  We see him write up a detailed Relationship Agreement, ask her to he girlfriend and present her with it.   We then see him start to develop feelings of affection for her and clearly begin to fight his growing feelings of affection for her (S6 latter half).   Finally he realizes the fight is futile and enjoys having feelings of affections for her and begins to brag about his being in a relationship with her and that it is "physical... holding hands on hot days even".   He finally kisses her (initially brought on while trying to win an argument) and liked it.   So he adds kissing to their relationship.   But through ALL of this, Sheldon has yet to care about Amy's thoughts, aspirations, dreams, etc.  

Sheldon has made his dreams clear.  He wants the Nobel Prize.  He wants to have everyone know he is brilliant.   He believes he chose the higher calling and higher order Science.   He has waved off Amy's work as unimportant (at least to her and sometimes to Penny).  Sometimes he will brag about her to others, but not where she knows he has done so.  So to her, he could care less about her work, about her aspirations, about her hobbies, etc.   He always does everything "favoring him".   He never takes interest in her, well not at least since he first was getting to know her and learned about her doing surgery on her own web feet.  But he really has dismissed everything that makes Amy who she is.  He has even dismissed her family without ever knowing a thing about them.  He has never asked about her family.

Therefore, I think the finale is going to be about a selfless Sheldon. One that finds that he needs to care about Amy truly in every way.  That means listening to her, encouraging her, showing her that she means the world to him and that he loves all of her, including her love for literature, hunting men for kill as amusement, her monkeys, her family, her field of study and yes her body, mind and soul.   We need to see him totally commit that it is not a one-sided relationship (which it has pretty much been).   Sure he has loosened up on his germaphobia for her, but his heart has held back really caring about the things that make Amy tick.   Sure he adores her, but he doesn't want to hear about her day or her studies or her aspirations or hobbies and anything that interests her.  He wants her listening to him always.   This is key.  This is why she feels her relationship lacks intimacy.   He feels they are very intimate because she has always been the one there encouraging him, supporting him, listening to him, and doing activities he loves.   But she has not gotten the same back.

Amy has confused sexual intimacy with true intimacy.  She is missing someone loving her and caring about her ups and downs and her life.   Her sneaking out to meet Bernadette tells me that she was really needing that kind of relationship  Bernie does listen to her and does share common interests with her.   So after hearing Sheldon drag on and on about himself, she needed someone to ask about her.  Bernie was a willing participant to help listen.  

Amy mentioning about being jealous does begin to make sense when you think about it.   She is jealous because Sheldon does listen to Penny talk about her hopes, dreams, aspirations and offers her advice and often sides with her on arguments that show he understands Penny.  (Which by the way, I preferred the polar opposites than BFF version of these two).   So Amy is feeling a bit like she is being left out.   Sheldon gets Penny, he spends time knowing her.   But for all the hours he spends with Amy, he doesn't show any interest in the full Amy.   She feels squelched out.   So it makes sense that she would envy their relationship.  She wants Sheldon to care about her hopes and dreams (which I do think a part of him does care about, but he doesn't want to discuss or talk about for some reason).   She needs him to show enough caring that he will listen.  He will comfort her when things go wrong at work, and cheer her on when she accomplishes big things.

Thinking back about the Tiara episode...this was the first evidence that this would be a problem for them in achieving full intimacy.   So the psychic was telling him the right thing here.   It is all about Sheldon being less selfish and giving in to a truly loving and intimate relationship with Amy which means more than just the physical side, but truly emotionally giving in and being selfless.

YES! Thank you.

• Like 3

"One the third take when Amy drops the coat we see Sheldon swallow and seemed affected and says his line."

What does it mean ? is Sheldon affected by Amy but he hide his feelings ? Dirty shelly :D I hope they're use third take :) ! and I don't understand why sheldon gets angry to pyschic about amy ?

iPhone 'den Tapatalk aracılığı ile gönderildi

• Like 1

"One the third take when Amy drops the coat we see Sheldon swallow and seemed affected and says his line."

What does it mean ? is Sheldon affected by Amy but he hide his feelings ? Dirty shelly :D I hope they're use third take :) ! and I don't understand why sheldon gets angry to pyschic about amy ?

Yeah, he's affected by her but tries to hide it with one of his aloof remarks. And the reason he got mad at the psychic is because she "hit a nerve" by bringing up Amy. So it's basically a sensitive topic for him and he didn't want to talk about it.

• Like 6

Yes he is affected in the third take with the swallow.  You are to get the impression his body is having a reaction that he isn't prepared for and thus his line....trying to hide the fact he is indeed feeling something.  

As far as the psychic, he is very upset when he leaves because the psychic did hit a nerve with him.  She was right about it and he has to face himself in the mirror and decide how to deal with it all.  He isn't really ready to do so and stomps off (plus doesn't want to admit she is right because she isn't a Scientist and well it destroys his whole theory on science and his belief system).  But this is all building to him having a breakthrough in his relationship, which will also bring him great success and happiness elsewhere in his life.   So he will be fine ultimately, but this is all growing pains for him and it is bringing to head a lot of the struggles he has already been dealing with.  She just happened to pick up on those immediately and that bothered him.  :girlwink:

• Like 4

I actually thought about it when tot told us on chat that Sheldon says Amy is sick. But then I figured that she probably talked him out of taking care of her (and probably he was grumpy about that). Well, at least that was my headcanon :p

But what you say about the episode really makes sense and it kind of makes it better for me. Thank you star :) You really bring up some interesting points.

• Like 7

I actually thought about it when tot told us on chat that Sheldon says Amy is sick. But then I figured that she probably talked him out of taking care of her (and probably he was grumpy about that). Well, at least that was my headcanon :p

But what you say about the episode really makes sense and it kind of makes it better for me. Thank you star :) You really bring up some interesting points.

I agree with this. I didn't think he dismissed her sickness because he didn't care but because, since she was obviously lying, she might have tried really hard to dismiss her own sickness herself and not really tell him what was wrong with her because she didn't want to be busted. That's the way I interpreted the "who knows!". And probably why he was so grumpy. 

• Like 7

I agree with this. I didn't think he dismissed her sickness because he didn't care but because, since she was obviously lying, she might have tried really hard to dismiss her own sickness herself and not really tell him what was wrong with her because she didn't want to be busted. That's the way I interpreted the "who knows!". And probably why he was so grumpy. 

I agree and it kind of hits on the point I made earlier. I think his comments came purely out of frustration and I assume this one of the big reasons he was so grumpy. Couple that with his internal crisis' with Amy, his job, ect. and there you have a recipe for Hurricane Sheldon.

• Like 6

I am not sure he consciously dismissed her being sick comment, but he is so absorbed in his own dilemma about his career that I think when she said she was sick, it was sort of one of those things that didn't register with him to ask further. I think he then realized when Leonard asked about it that he didn't really know why she was sick, but again, was so focused on his issue that it didn't seem important to know about.  He just figured it was likely something minor and she would be better soon so went about obsessing about his problem.   Still it just shows you the point they were trying to drive home.  He was so focused on himself that he didn't think to be concerned or care.  He just dismissed the thought because it was getting in the way of his obsessing on himself.   That is really what the writers are trying to point out...the relationship has been all about Sheldon...his needs, his wants...his desires...making him happy...listening to his rants, raves, praises, etc.   Amy has been second fiddle in most of it.  Sure he has done some movement (such as the kissing and liking the idea of being in a relationship finally), but it still is very one-sided.  I think they were accentuating that through this episode.

Oh and Hurricane Sheldon is exactly it.  He is in the midst of turmoil because too many things are hitting him all at once and he is struggling big time.   Until he settles his relationship with Amy, however, as the psychic told him, he will remain there.  He needs to follows his heart and once he does that...it will all work itself out.  She is truly the key to his happiness and success.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 9

I think Sheldon always felt physically attracted to Amy, certainly since TLA and has just been in major denial since. Since he's been kissing her though, such feelings are harder to hide and I can totally imagine the confusion and further denial that comes when he realises he wants to go further but she's holding back after he worked so hard on (some) of his issues. That he did that though I think is evidence he will change for her-she is worth it and she is as much a goal in his life as the Nobel right now-and he will work out how to get her. I think that's the focus for S8 for them, discvering emotional closeness, largely for the first time and then they will be able to go further physically.

• Like 6

I think Sheldon always felt physically attracted to Amy, certainly since TLA and has just been in major denial since. Since he's been kissing her though, such feelings are harder to hide and I can totally imagine the confusion and further denial that comes when he realises he wants to go further but she's holding back after he worked so hard on (some) of his issues. That he did that though I think is evidence he will change for her-she is worth it and she is as much a goal in his life as the Nobel right now-and he will work out how to get her. I think that's the focus for S8 for them, discvering emotional closeness, largely for the first time and then they will be able to go further physically.

YES YES YESSSSS :dead:

I'm loving more and more this season but the next one will be the best.

I can feel it !

• Like 6

Warning : This post is negative and very messy (and full of grammatical errors)

On my side, I'm a little less positive. I really begin to be pissed by all these negative comments from Sheldon regarding Amy. Stardust made a good evidence with valid arguments: Sheldon is too self-centered and cares about Amy only because she listens to him but he never really cares about her life, work and all, even if we all know, including sheldon himself, that he loves her.THIS is exactly what annoys me the most ! One time it's an "I like you the way you are, quirks and all" and the rest of the time he's complaining. It's very confusing. I always thought and still want to believe that he listens to her and her problems and needs and blablabla because he CARES, because she's his excpetion for everything since the first time they met. But we don't see this on screen. Sad.

The episode is very weird too :

On one hand, Sheldon is totally fine kissing Amy and dealing with the progression of his increasing affection for her and the next episode he's freaking out because a psychic ( Why the f*ck a psychic ?! I hate it) is telling him that the source of his career problem is because he's not committed to his romantic relationship :

1. Mixing Sheldon's struggle with physics and his love life together is totally stupid. they are not linked in his case.

2. Why is he freaking out ? so isn't he fine anymore ? Grr I'm tired...

and Amy, oh Amy. Why are you lying to Sheldon ? Your relationship is about trust and if you're annoyed by him, you should be brutaly honest like always and tell him. Because she does'nt want to hurt him more, he's enough troubled by his work problem, Redrose. Ok, fair point but It stills bother me.  This is the kind of thing which is OOC for me. that's it. not to mention the school uniform. very OOC too. ( but I'm still okay just because I'm digging Mayim and want eye candy :p )

The only valuable explanation is that they are building some kind of confession or  ILY coming from Sheldon for the final. This ep + the dying Proton ep are comforting me in this thought. Although I would love that, It does not seem necessary right now. We had a heavy and superb season for them with the SIK and SIK 2.0  Why can't we enjoy a peaceful honeymoon period ? more sweet things like these :

tumblr_n33t5rK7EJ1ruy5t9o8_r1_250.gif   tumblr_n39oveTuUi1rn4qwao4_250.gif

and less Drama.

We have three more seasons. I don't understand why the writers want to speed up everything now. If they want drama it's okay but why always Sheldon, and always the same problem ? He seemed totally fine and two days later he's not ? Why can't they choose to developp Amy ? They could show us how her idea of romance and intimacy were wrong and now she's not particulary ready for it with Sheldon. I would love an Amy freak out !  Why can't they show us how she is struggling ? Anyway, I know the answers but I just thing it's stupid to focus only on the main characters. They're missing so many interesting and potentially funny plots...

ok. end of the negativity.

TOMORROW we'll see SIK 2.0 !!  :dancer:

Edited by Redrose
  • Like 5

Redrose! I do think you have a point on much of that post :) But I just wanted to say that I don't think the psychic is saying that the CAUSE of his career crisis is that he's not committed to the relationship, but, rather, that once he fully commits to his relationship, things will fall into place on its own. That the solution to his problems is to commit to fully.

And I think there's several things to keep in mind. 

1) Indeed, it's a psychic. It's cheesy and it's incredibly off and predictable that a psychic would say something like this. I would take it with a grain of salt. 

2) Consequently, I think it was just a way for the writers to bring that up and hammer home that point, without necessarily meaning they believe this to be the case. It's just to get Sheldon thinking.

3) Yes, he's happier and more relaxed in his relationship, but that's partly the reason why he flips. Because he's thinking that a ) this is nonsense cliche psychic BS, but b ) it hits too close to home and c ) he HAS been making progress so he's probably thinking "what do you mean commit even more!?!"

I don't think the writers are trying to imply that the solution to Sheldon's career problems is truly Amy (although I would not be surprised if there was a connection that is much more subtle and convoluted than "love cures it all" - i.e. maybe they'll end up working together), but rather just using this as an excuse to hammer that point home.

I agree completely that the back and forth and the stupid drama is getting tiring and frustrating, because there's really no need for it. But I don't think that Sheldon's frustration with the psychic negates the progress he's made or how he feels about it.

• Like 4

Redrose! I do think you have a point on much of that post :) But I just wanted to say that I don't think the psychic is saying that the CAUSE of his career crisis is that he's not committed to the relationship, but, rather, that once he fully commits to his relationship, things will fall into place on its own. That the solution to his problems is to commit to fully.

Agree that It's not the CAUSE, but the psychic implies that it's the SOLUTION. Wich stills totally stupid. Sheldon has a career crisis so the solution is to commit more with Amy ? nonsense.

2) Consequently, I think it was just a way for the writers to bring that up and hammer home that point, without necessarily meaning they believe this to be the case. It's just to get Sheldon thinking.

3) Yes, he's happier and more relaxed in his relationship, but that's partly the reason why he flips. Because he's thinking that a ) this is nonsense cliche psychic BS, but b ) it hits too close to home and c ) he HAS been making progress so he's probably thinking "what do you mean commit even more!?!"

yes but why is this scaring him ? I think he thought about it for quite a long time now. It's hard to believe that Sheldon never thought about where all this Boyfriend/Girlfriend thing is going. He said it himself : "I'm working on it" which implies that he thought about the aftermath of a physical relationship, a more intimate one. I seriously doubt he never asked himself : "Why am I doing this ? Why do I want Amy by my side ? Why do I enjoy kissing her ?" The answer is an evidence : he loves her and he knows it. He can't miss it. Denial you'll say ? Classical Sheldon ? I don't know. He was indeed in a stage of denial before but I thought that once he decided to seriously embrace the physical stuff (maybe post SIK 1.0 ), he was slowly allowing himself to accept the situation.

Agree that It's not the CAUSE, but the psychic implies that it's the SOLUTION. Wich stills totally stupid. Sheldon has a career crisis so the solution is to commit more with Amy ? nonsense.

yes but why is this scaring him ? I think he thought about it for quite a long time now. It's hard to believe that Sheldon never thought about where all this Boyfriend/Girlfriend thing is going. He said it himself : "I'm working on it" which implies that he thought about the aftermath of a physical relationship, a more intimate one. I seriously doubt he never asked himself : "Why am I doing this ? Why do I want Amy by my side ? Why do I enjoy kissing her ?" The answer is an evidence : he loves her and he knows it. He can't miss it. Denial you'll say ? Classical Sheldon ? I don't know. He was indeed in a stage of denial before but I thought that once he decided to seriously embrace the physical stuff (maybe post SIK 1.0 ), he was slowly allowing himself to accept the situation.

It is silly, which is why it came from a psychic :p I don't think we're meant to take it literally. I think it was just there to drop an anvil sized hint to the audience as to where they might be going in the finale.

As for Sheldon, he doesn't freak out or scared, he just gets angry. He was already unhappy to be there in the first place, he was trying to debunk the woman, he believes what she says is pure nonsense. But then the psychic hit a nerve, as in got too personal, he got even more aggravated and left, because he knew there is a grain of truth to it and because it is also a pile of classic quackery that he did not want to waste his time with. I don't think that just because Sheldon is aware he loves Amy or that he likes kissing her now, he's willing to admit his feelings to the world, at least not while sober. It ties in to the issues he has with hypocrisy that were shown very well in Mommy Observation.

I don't know, his reaction to the psychic made a lot o sense to me. 

• Like 4

Yep, the psychic has hit the nail on the head and he hates that not only is she right but she said this in front of Penny.  He's also pissed that all he's worked toward is now kaput and it's going to take him committing to his relationship for everything to go his way and that's too hippy-dippy for him.

As for his hatred of holding hands I think back to how he was raised - parents fighting a lot, father drinks and mom heavily involved in her church - and it kinda makes sense.  He's afraid of saying how he really feels about Amy because things have been going really well and if he says something, acknowledges it, especially out loud then she might try to push him faster than he's ready.  And talking about his feelings is something hippies do and he's not a hippy.

• Like 3

It is silly, which is why it came from a psychic :p I don't think we're meant to take it literally. I think it was just there to drop an anvil sized hint to the audience as to where they might be going in the finale.

Yep

As for Sheldon, he doesn't freak out or scared, he just gets angry. He was already unhappy to be there in the first place, he was trying to debunk the woman, he believes what she says is pure nonsense. But then the psychic hit a nerve, as in got too personal, he got even more aggravated and left, because he knew there is a grain of truth to it and because it is also a pile of classic quackery that he did not want to waste his time with. I don't think that just because Sheldon is aware he loves Amy or that he likes kissing her now, he's willing to admit his feelings to the world, at least not while sober. It ties in to the issues he has with hypocrisy that were shown very well in Mommy Observation.

I don't know, his reaction to the psychic made a lot o sense to me. 

Well, he had no problem telling Penny that he was fond of Amy last season. Penny hit an nerve when she told him if he has the intend to sleep with Amy one day. It was a sensible and tense subject at that time. But he anwered to Leonard and Penny very calmly... Why does such a subject bothers him now ?  I perfer to think that the cause of his anger was the psychic trying to dig in his private life combined with all the stress about his career rather than the commitment part itself.

Yep, the psychic has hit the nail on the head and he hates that not only is she right but she said this in front of Penny.  He's also pissed that all he's worked toward is now kaput and it's going to take him committing to his relationship for everything to go his way and that's too hippy-dippy for him.

As for his hatred of holding hands I think back to how he was raised - parents fighting a lot, father drinks and mom heavily involved in her church - and it kinda makes sense.  He's afraid of saying how he really feels about Amy because things have been going really well and if he says something, acknowledges it, especially out loud then she might try to push him faster than he's ready.  And talking about his feelings is something hippies do and he's not a hippy.

Agree except for the last part. despite what Sheldon says, he's a big hipppy-dippy inside  :cheese:

• Like 3