The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

Well, he had no problem telling Penny that he was fond of Amy last season. Penny hit an nerve when she told him if he has the intend to sleep with Amy one day. It was a sensible and tense subject at that time. But he anwered to Leonard and Penny very calmly... Why does such a subject bothers him now ?  I perfer to think that the cause of his anger was the psychic trying to dig in his private life combined with all the stress about his career rather than the commitment part itself.

Yes, exactly, that's how I took it. I think he was annoyed at the topic of conversation, brought up by a psychic of all things. I also think that while he might be fine talking to Leonard and Penny about it in general, he can also get annoyed if the topic gets brought up again, because he's feeling the pressure on many sides now and he's like 'I KNOW, I KNOW, STOP REMINDING ME!'. It's a knee-jerk reaction due to the context and the way the topic is brought up. And, like I said, he probably thought that mixing his career crisis with his private life was complete poppycock and it was the final straw for him to get up and leave.

• Like 3

I've only had time to skim the last few pages of comments (because I'm sneaking a peek at work...) but I think that a few people have hit on one of things I think is key.

Amy's perspective and insecurity have a great deal to do with her little tinge of "jealousy" and how she perceives Sheldon and Penny's relationship.

As has been said in the past (by koops, I think), she has no idea what Sheldon was like before she met him.  Penny has endured him for more years than Amy and she knows how to advise him (even if he doesn't want to believe that she would know how to advise him) and he has come to trust her perspective because he knows (though I'm sure he's loathe to admit it) that she knows things he doesn't.  He asks her advice about his relationship with Amy, etc.

But Amy has no idea what it took to get him to that point, and that it's different than what he has with her (Amy.)  Just like she had to be reassured that she has changed Sheldon and that he really is into her more than she thinks, I think that she doesn't know just how much more he has opened up to her than he has with anyone else.  It's just a different part of him.

Whatever he may say and do with Penny, she's always going to be like his big sister--and one says different things to one's sister than to one's girlfriend.  And it's true for Amy, too.  She's more likely to say certain things to Leonard--like about Sheldon's relationship with Penny--than she is to Sheldon.  I don't think she'd ever ask him about his relationship with Penny, or being open with her, etc..  That's the kind of conversation you have with anyone but your boyfriend.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the psychic telling him those things.  He can't figure out what direction to go in, he doesn't really trust anyone's advice when it comes to his genius and how to put it to use, so he's going to struggle with anyone trying to help him in that arena.

And yes, he's always been self-centered and being in a relationship with Amy, no matter how much he may like her, has been a steep learning curve for him.  Think about all the ups and downs they've been through where he does something selfish and hurts her feelings and someone else, like Penny or Leonard or whoever, has to tell him to apologize.  When it comes to emotions, he's still pretty tone-deaf.  He often tries to cover up his own vulnerabilities and his true feelings (like when he tried to pretend that Leonard was the one losing out if he abandoned Sheldon to go to Wil Wheaton's party, but showed his true feelings with his "Oh, good, you picked me, you picked me.") and I think he's just not very practiced at being real about those bigger feelings and the vulnerability that goes with it.

He's still full of pride, even though he might have kissing on date night in the Rel Ag at this point.  And with his career dilemma going on, he's bound to be less thoughtful and more self-involved than ever.

And for someone to tell him that the way to solve his career dilemma is to give himself more fully into something as hippy-dippy as a romantic relationship, no wonder he uses the M-word!

I don't see there being a disjoint in their relationship between Indecision and this episode.  I think Sheldon is always going to be behind the curve when it comes to his emotional life.  Even if he can admit that he "likes" Amy, that doesn't mean that he doesn't still fall back into his selfish ways when it comes to things like his career.  While he might trust Amy's judgment about a lot of things, he doesn't always think to ask her first.  If he thinks it's a difficult question for him to figure out, how could anyone else have a better answer?

I don't know.  I'm running out of time and I'm kind of talking in circles at this point.  I just don't see this emotional/relationship level as being that much out of joint.

I think it's all about what's on the forefront of Sheldon's mind.  Just because he decides he likes to kiss her doesn't mean that all of a sudden he's going to turn into a thoughful human being, let alone a thoughtful boyfriend.  Even as he was kissing her in Indecision, he's still thinking about his console dilemma on some level.

• Like 5

Yep

Well, he had no problem telling Penny that he was fond of Amy last season. Penny hit an nerve when she told him if he has the intend to sleep with Amy one day. It was a sensible and tense subject at that time. But he anwered to Leonard and Penny very calmly... Why does such a subject bothers him now ?  I perfer to think that the cause of his anger was the psychic trying to dig in his private life combined with all the stress about his career rather than the commitment part itself.

Agree except for the last part. despite what Sheldon says, he's a big hipppy-dippy inside  :cheese:

I reached my quota of likes already so I couldn't like this one.   :girlsmile:  He's a hippy-dippy inside but there's no way he's going to let anyone see it.

I wonder if the subject of him and Amy sleeping together bothers him because he's worried Kripke will say something to her about what they discussed in Cooper-Kripke.  I would love to see Kripke hit on her in front of Sheldon.

• Like 3

I wonder if the subject of him and Amy sleeping together bothers him because he's worried Kripke will say something to her about what they discussed in Cooper-Kripke.  I would love to see Kripke hit on her in front of Sheldon.

Haha! I would kind of like to see anyone hit on Amy in front of him. It doesn't need to be a main point of an episode or anything, just would like to see his reaction. :) 

• Like 5

In regards to how sheldon treats amy, like Jim said "he needs her around but he doesn't know why" (paraphrasing) sheldon has yet o understand his feelings for amy but everything is overwhelming him right now. In the recent episodes there is a lot of talk about sex, with his mom, kissing, and the geology book to name a few. So now he may be feeling rushed, they only started kissing a few months ago in three years and now sex?! It's too fast for him, for his mind at least. The tag scene shows he does find her attractive, and it is a debate going on in his head which I think is why he got upset at the psychic, he is frustrated with himself because he can't give her what they both want. Along with this, is Rajs comment earlier in the season about him needing to be there for amy, which he has yet to do really well. She can only be there as much as he is for her. This would also explain why amy lied, she claims sheldon talks to much about his career, she won't have a chance to talk. Sheldon also claims she talks to much, they both have so much to say to each other but can't leaving them both frustrated with the situation. They need to talk and comes to terms with their feelings in order to move forward. Like the pychic said, commitment is needed and everything will fall into place.

Edited by tbhf
  • Like 6

In regards to how sheldon treats amy, like Jim said "he needs her around but he doesn't know why" (paraphrasing) sheldon has yet o understand his feelings for amy but everything is overwhelming him right now. In the recent episodes there is a lot of talk about sex, with his mom, kissing, and the geology book to name a few. So now he may be feeling rushed, they only started kissing a few months ago in three years and now sex?! It's too fast for him, for his mind at least. The tag scene shows he does find her attractive, and it is a debate going on in his head which I think is why he got upset at the psychic, he is frustrated with himself because he can't give her what they both want. Along with this, is Rajs comment earlier in the season about him needing to be there for amy, which he has yet to do really well. She can only be there as much as he is for her. This would also explain why amy lied, she claims sheldon talks to much about his career, she won't have a chance to talk. Sheldon also claims she talks to much, they both have so much to say to each other but can't leaving them both frustrated with the situation. They need to talk and comes to terms with their feelings in order to move forward. Like the pychic said, commitment is needed and everything will fall into place.

And the D&D game where their characters had sex.

• Like 2

I honestly think the reason Amy had to remind Sheldon about kissing her is because he is so wrapped up in the PS4/XBox One decision.  I know I forget to kiss my hubby when I'm that focused on something.

• Like 5

When Amy went to Sheldon's apartment wearing the school uniform, was during the same Thursday night? If it was, where has she gotten the clothes? It couldn´t be Bernie´s uniform because Bernadette is quite smaller than Amy!!! I think she went the night after!

• Like 1

When Amy went to Sheldon's apartment wearing the school uniform, was during the same Thursday night? If it was, where has she gotten the clothes? It couldn´t be Bernie´s uniform because Bernadette is quite smaller than Amy!!! I think she went the night after!

I think it is one of those moments they don't want you to think about that.   :laugh:   They probably want you to just know that she instantly had an outfit together and arranged and managed to go over his place with it on.  :laugh:

• Like 2

Guys, wasnt that last scene, the part where sheldon says "yes, yes!" similar or came from that fan video posted here a few weeks ago?

I think they've used different bits of dialogue, etc., to make it sound as if something else is happening. I don't think the taping report mentioned Sheldon actually making noise that night, just that Leonard says something about it.

That "yes, yes" sounds like that scene where Sheldon is massaging his neck the way Amy told him to. The whole thing is meant to play up the kiss moment, trying to imply that they're in there having sex. ;)

• Like 3

I kind of think this episode makes sense to me even if it sounds way heavy handed. (Sorry I’m a lurker but I like to think about this stuff in the context of my own relationship)

I agree with stardustmelody. The kissing is sweet and lovely but there’s something missing in it too. As mentioned before, Amy’s stiffness indicates that she’s not able to give in fully in these moments, and it’s hard to if you feel that your partner isn’t really giving you the emotional support that you need. Look at what was happening before each kiss … Sheldon ignoring Amy on the train and then getting angry (even if it was probably in part because he was fighting with his own feelings, not being able to show them to Amy, trying to figure out what to do/what she wants, etc.) and then Amy having to remind him to kiss her (even though he seemed happy to do it). Kissing is about context, not just the moment itself, and there’s some context missing. Some parts of their relationship are progressing but there are some building blocks that are missing to make those parts as meaningful as they could be. So maybe the end of season 7 is about Sheldon (and Amy) realizing that there’s some bonds of emotional support and trust (like trusting someone with your feelings) that are missing between the 2 of them and season 8 will be about building those bonds. I don’t think it’s ALL Sheldon either. Amy has been a little more manipulative and less trustworthy towards Sheldon too, of late, probably because the one-sidedness of their relationship is a little wearing.

I think ultimately it’s a good thing that the maybe writers, and hopefully the characters, are realizing that without a solid emotional bond between them, the physical side of things isn’t as impactful and lovely – for them or for us – as it could be. It gives them a lot of nice stuff to build upon and play out in future episodes and seasons. And it makes the milestones in their relationship about more than just kissing … check, sex … check. Also, I don’t actually want an ILY for the finale. I think it would feel like windowdressing if it comes before Sheldon explores the selfless side of himself and his relationship with Amy.

It also makes me slightly but cautiously hopeful that the writers are paralleling Sheldon's discovery of Amy as a person with the audience’s discovery of her as a character. It’s kind of amazing how little we know about her, and as the series has progressed, she’s become less of a distinct character rather than more, which seems odd because she (and Mayim) have so much comedic (and dramatic) potential. Maybe it’s wishful thinking to hope that this is some marrying of form and function situation where we get to find out and care (not that we don’t already) more about her along with Sheldon as she becomes more of her own person and less of a plot device (and one-sided support system) for him.

First just want to say welcome out of lurkdom! Terrific post.

You raise some excellent points, and I couldn't agree more re Shamy's relationship lacking the emotional intimacy necessary to move into "physical" territory. And as much as I know we all can't wait for an ILY, I think that it might feel a bit contrived at this point. As Star and others have explained so well, we need to see Sheldon act selflessly, and we need them both to be honest about how they feel and what they need from each other. We need the show before the tell. Then, an ILY will feel like a natural progression, and much more satisfying, laying the foundation for greater physical intimacy.

I also agree with you about how little we know about Amy due to the writing of the character, Sheldon's self-centeredness, a strategic attempt by the writers to enhance the impact of future plots, or some combination of the above. I'm dying to hear more about her family, dreams for the future, etc.

Given that BBT is going to go 3 more seasons, TPTB have all the time they need to make this relationship develop organically. Sheldon and Amy do love each other, but we need to discover what that means to/for each of them. For Sheldon, the realization that he's in love and emotionally vulnerable may feel like a huge burden. It may be scary. He may try to back out. He will definitely struggle to reconcile his pre-Amy life, in which he could hide behind his intellect and self-prescribed celibacy, with his new reality. And Amy's overly romanticized view of love may need to level out in order to meet Sheldon where he's at. With three seasons left, I predict a lot of growing pains for these two mixed with incredibly sweet, unique moments. All this potential for change and growth, IMO, makes them the most interesting couple on the show.

Edited by Retroluv
  • Like 7

Guys, wasnt that last scene, the part where sheldon says "yes, yes!" similar or came from that fan video posted here a few weeks ago?

It was the same person who made it.

• Like 2

Welcome out of lurkdom, Littleknee!  :bye:     Loved your post and Retroluv's follow-on post.  I agree.  As much as I cannot wait to hear him say ILY to her, unless he says it and tells her he realizes he has been a selfish person and needs to bring more to the table, I think it would be very contrived. I personally feel a very selfless act is in order next more than anything else.   But then it needs to be followed up in early S8 with continued selfless action.  He needs to show that he can consistently care about her and want to know her life aspirations, dreams, frustrations, etc.    Once they get through that phase, then I think the ILY will make a lot more sense.  

Sadly, I think there will always be a part of Sheldon that will remain selfish, so we may not get completely what we want, but even a step in that direction would be far more palatable at this stage in the game.   I do  think they love each other, and I do think he just has never really had to think about someone else's feelings, desires, dreams, hopes, joys, sorrows, etc. before. I think he has always been coddled so much by his mother, and then by his friends, that he has never really learned how that is a big part of being in a relationship.   Hopefully all of this is leading him to realize that he has to emotionally expose himself and open up to her as well as let her open up to him about who she is so that they can level the field and move forward.

• Like 9

Yes, seems like the same footage to me. That can't be a real promo, right? Unless someone has seen it on air? It's not on the CBS website, the graphics are not right under the "shocking revelation" text.

Also the posting date on YouTube was 1 April. I think someone had fun making a clever mashup!

• Like 2

Yeah. That promo is fan made. It's hilarious and well done, but it's definitely fan made.

OK... Good...figured as much....but you can never count out that the CBS promo monkeys have finally completely lost it! LOL

• Like 1

Kripke hitting on Amy would not raise any questions about her commitment to Sheldon.

It's not her fault if he's being a jerk by hitting on someone elses girlfriend :p

What I would NOT want to see IF that happens is Amy taking advantage of the situation by trying to make Sheldon jealous. But I'm very sure that wouldn't happen. It would be totaly OOC of her.

But I wouldn't mind an encountment between those two, especially if Kripke brings up what Sheldon said about their "sexlife" in 6x14.. but I guess if that was supposed to happen they would done it by now.

Edited by Jaime
  • Like 6