The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

I've been trying to process and organize my thoughts and I'm still struggling, but I'll give it a shot.

Obviously, disappointment set in pretty early on. I wanted this episode to end well for Shamy and I definitely had my hopes up. This was not what I had in mind. But I think my biggest problem with it has to be the timing. We all knew that Sheldon was going to freak out, but I don't know if anybody guessed he wouldn't be any better by the end of the episode as he was at the beginning. I certainly didn't think they were going to build all of these obstacles throughout the season just to leave it unresolved until next season. I probably should have, but I didn't. This storyline would have been better as the first part of a two parter episode. That's probably how they're going to treat it when the show returns, but like I said, timing is an issue. If Sheldon's breakdown could have started in the previous episode, I can't help but feel like there would have been more time for everything and some of these scenes wouldn't be so cut and dry and hard to swallow. 

One thing I've been seeing a lot of you saying is that Sheldon is fine (per his phone conversation with Amy) and I couldn't disagree more. I know we're all hoping there will be some kind of pre-taped scene with Sheldon looking upset after hanging up the phone, but even if there isn't, I don't think we need it. Sheldon Cooper just left by himself via train with none of his belongings and absolutely no plans. Why did he leave? Because his life is falling apart. He isn't fine, you guys! This is the opposite of fine. He doesn't even like when he's forced to take paid vacations, now he's going to be some bag in the wind hippie with no structure or routine to keep his head on straight? We don't need to see him visibly upset to know he is. The only problem I see is that Amy should know he isn't ok. That wouldn't fly over her head like everything else did in this episode. 

I don't agree with the way Sheldon is treating Amy, but I don't think it's fair to say he's regressing because these circumstances are unprecedented. The writers haven't been shy about tearing his life to shreds lately. The worst thing that has happened to Sheldon before this season was being forced to take a paid vacation or drinking out of Leonard's water glass. In the last 7 episodes, the foundation of his childhood was deemed a lie and his relationship with his mother is strained as a result, his childhood hero/father figure died, the field he's dedicated his life to is declared a dead end and his university won't let him make the switch to something else, his roommate is moving out, and his happy place has burned down. These are all very difficult things for anybody to accept, much less someone like Sheldon. And these aren't optional endeavors that he can choose to ignore. These are things he can't run away from and that brings me to Amy.

Adding Amy to the mix complicates Sheldon's life even more. He accidentally kissed her on Valentine's day and as a result, included it into their date night routine. This is something he probably never saw for himself and the idea that his feelings for her are growing without his approval must be really hard for him to accept. It wasn't easy for him when his life was in order and everything was coming up Sheldon, how is he suppose to handle it now? We all know that he has feelings for Amy that won't go away just because he wants them to. He's never wanted to want her, but he always has and probably always will. That's where the problem with their relationship stems from. Sheldon is looking at his relationship with Amy as an obstacle like all the other problems in his life. It isn't until he sees Amy for what she is (the best thing to ever happen to him) that things will start looking up. We just have to keep the faith that this trip he's on will spell things out for him. 

OMG so agree.  Still feel so sad for AMY.  Hope it doesnt take the writers until season 10 to straighten this out.

Edited by Shamyyes

Actually, season 7 is my favorite except for the finale. I just can't stop watching Indecision Amalgamation, I love the butter scene, the kiss, Amy leaning against him, Raj's romantic astronomy, Leonard's joke about Penny shouldn't eat the bananas.

We got a lot of Shamy in this season :

- Their make-up words

- This cute little lump of wool.

- I like you for who you are, quirks and all.

- That's the most romantic thing I've ever heard.

- The coy smile (7.07)

- Smell the flowers, please.

- Ain't she great?

- Sheldon cares for you more than you think: Screen Saver

- Train kiss, Amy's lips tasted like the brownie.

- Date night end with kiss.

- Sheldon's arm around Amy's shoulder when he was drunk.

All of this

Actually, season 7 is my favorite except for the finale. I just can't stop watching Indecision Amalgamation, I love the butter scene, the kiss, Amy leaning against him, Raj's romantic astronomy, Leonard's joke about Penny shouldn't eat the bananas. 

We got a lot of Shamy in this season : 

- Their make-up words

- This cute little lump of wool.

- I like you for who you are, quirks and all.

- That's the most romantic thing I've ever heard.

- The coy smile (7.07)

- Smell the flowers, please.

- Ain't she great?

- Sheldon cares for you more than you think: Screen Saver 

- Train kiss, Amy's lips tasted like the brownie.

- Date night end with kiss.

- Sheldon's arm around Amy's shoulder when he was drunk. 

I agree. As much as I love season 4 and 5, season 7 had very good moments. Except The Table Polarization. Pointless. (Not counting the episodes that haven't aired yet).

But after The Indecision,  shamy didn't have many scenes together nor significant ones.It's five in the row. What's up with that?

Edited by silver

Adding Amy to the mix complicates Sheldon's life even more. He accidentally kissed her on Valentine's day and as a result, included it into their date night routine. This is something he probably never saw for himself and the idea that his feelings for her are growing without his approval must be really hard for him to accept. It wasn't easy for him when his life was in order and everything was coming up Sheldon, how is he suppose to handle it now? We all know that he has feelings for Amy that won't go away just because he wants them to. He's never wanted to want her, but he always has and probably always will. That's where the problem with their relationship stems from. Sheldon is looking at his relationship with Amy as an obstacle like all the other problems in his life. It isn't until he sees Amy for what she is (the best thing to ever happen to him) that things will start looking up. We just have to keep the faith that this trip he's on will spell things out for him. 

Your post was all brilliant, but this part in particular. It's the latter bit that I struggle with, keeping the faith. But it's so true. Until he keeps seeing her as an obstacle, things are never going to change. I don't know if the trip will do it, or something else. I often think that the only way for him to do it is to get so involved in something with her that he forgets what he's even doing and before he realizes he snaps out of it and it dawns on him that "Hey, this is pretty amazing and she's amazing and it's not scary or complicated at all". Kind of like he did with kissing. And I don't mean sex. It's one of the reasons, amongst others, that I'm so vocal about them working together. I think if they put aside the complications of sex and intimacy to the back of their minds and worked together for a common goal it would do them a hell of a lot of good as a couple. Or maybe, like our wowbagger suggested, now that the wedding is coming they can get involved with that as Best Man and Maid of Honor (although that might hit too close to home and open a whole can of worms). But something along these lines.

eta: I just want to say that I am absolutely loving the discussion and all the new posters that have joined us today! So many great insights. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 8

Your post was all brilliant, but this part in particular. It's the latter bit that I struggle with, keeping the faith. But it's so true. Until he keeps seeing her as an obstacle, things are never going to change. I don't know if the trip will do it, or something else. I often think that the only way for him to do it is to get so involved in something with her that he forgets what he's even doing and before he realizes he snaps out of it and it dawns on him that "Hey, this is pretty amazing and she's amazing and it's not scary or complicated at all". Kind of like he did with kissing. And I don't mean sex. It's one of the reasons, amongst others, that I'm so vocal about them working together. I think if they put aside the complications of sex and intimacy to the back of their minds and worked together for a common goal it would do them a hell of a lot of good as a couple. Or maybe, like our wowbagger suggested, now that the wedding is coming they can get involved with that as Best Man and Maid of Honor (although that might hit too close to home and open a whole can of worms). But something along these lines.

I actually would like to see Amy say she wants to take a break from their boyfriend/girlfriend relationship and just go back to being friends for a while. I think it would definitely make Sheldon realize how much he misses the intimacy of being her boyfriend he would have, but also I would like to see them focus on rebuilding what has been lost and possibly a joint work project can help them do that.  I think that they were far more intimate and smitten when they were not complicated by being officially in the relationship.   They were already in a relationship, just without the label.  I doubt they will go there in the show, but honestly I think it would do a world of good to get back and try to rebuild this thing.  Right now I can't say it is a terribly satisfying relationship.

• Like 8

I actually would like to see Amy say she wants to take a break from their boyfriend/girlfriend relationship and just go back to being friends for a while. I think it would definitely make Sheldon realize how much he misses the intimacy of being her boyfriend he would have, but also I would like to see them focus on rebuilding what has been lost and possibly a joint work project can help them do that.  I think that they were far more intimate and smitten when they were not complicated by being officially in the relationship.   They were already in a relationship, just without the label.  I doubt they will go there in the show, but honestly I think it would do a world of good to get back and try to rebuild this thing.  Right now I can't say it is a terribly satisfying relationship.

Sigh. My heart hurts thinking about this because their relationship already moves slower than paint dries. I agree it might be for the best, assuming it does wake Sheldon from his self-induced nightmare and he comes to realize that Amy isn't the problem, but the solution. It's all so confusing. There has been an abundance of progression this season and yet, here we are, talking about Shamy as if they've lost their spark. I like to say that when things progressed physically, their emotional bond diminished, but then I think of all the small, sweet moments we've gotten and I'm left baffled at where we are. I don't even know what this is anymore. 

• Like 5

So, if Amy had broken up with Sheldon as the season finale cliffhanger, you'd be happy with that?  It's okay to play the break-up card as long as Amy gets to be the one in power?

I don't see that as being a healthy step, either.

I agree. I think the issue is that he essentially threw a line at her that would be the make or break for tons of couples: he mocked the idea of marrying her, starting a family and growing old together. I know he probably said it in jest, because she threw living together at him and he was upset and he took it and ran with it like he often does, but that doesn't change the fact that 1) he might have been serious in his mocking and 2) he needs to learn that something like that can have massive consequences. And that counts for the writers too, I don't understand why they constantly need to hammer home that Sheldon despises everything Amy seems to want from their relationship. There was no need to go there.

Amy has hinted at wanting all of that in the past, we don't know where he priorities lie and whether she would put Sheldon above that, if he doesn't want it (not that I think it is fair for Amy to give everything up, but that's for another topic). But all we know so far is that there is a good chance that Amy might want it all with him and if he's not even willing to contemplate it, but even goes so far as deriding the concept, then I honestly think this is more than reasonable ground for her to call it off. She's invested four years of her life into a relationship with him and they're still much further behind than where she would like them to be and he keeps throwing these zingers at her that seem to indicate an unwillingness to move forward. She can't keep waiting around forever for him to "find himself". This isn't so much about Amy teaching him a lesson to me, because I think it would devastate her to break up with him, this is about Amy putting her own needs first for a chance.

Now, the question is: either he comes back from that trip having a clearer head and being more open to her, he comes back from his trip having a clearer head and letting her go to live her life, or he comes back from that trip all the same or even more selfish than before. In the latter case, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for Amy to call it off, and it's got nothing to do with power trips. And I agree that if they ever got back together later, it would be under much different circumstances.

• Like 8

I don't think we read the same thing because I didn't see stardustmelody say anything remotely close to what you're implying. 

Sheldon left after throwing a fit about how Amy wanted to move in and that would probably lead to engagement and babies and living happily ever after. That implies that Sheldon would be unhappy making any advances in their relationship. I can recognize that he's hurting and not thinking straight, but if you take his word at face value, they might as well end their relationship. There is nowhere left to go. Amy suggesting that they could terminate the relationship agreement if he isn't happy with how things are or where they're headed feels like a logical step forward to me. Not as an ultimatum, but as a helpful suggestion to ensure that Sheldon is happy and she doesn't end up hurt. From there, Sheldon would have to figure out if he's happier with Amy as a friend or if he misses the physical component to their relationship as boyfriend and girlfriend.

If they mutually nullified the relationship agreement and remained close friends, nothing would really change for us as the audience. There would be no more pressure for Sheldon to change/perform and Amy wouldn't be vulnerable to getting hurt. I don't believe Sheldon ever would have agreed to hold hands or kiss if he hated it from start to finish so this will open the door to Sheldon instigating physical contact in future episodes and that would change Shamy's dynamic if they were to ever get back together. This solution wouldn't be about who gets the upper hand, but rather respecting each other's feelings, boundaries, dreams, and wishes.

I don't think SHeldon was saying that he didn't want to make any advances in their relationship, but that moving in together (and all the subsequent steps that he heard in his own head) was too much for him, especially at that moment.  Now, I think he totally misinterpreted what she said, and that the panic he had was because of everything else that was going on.

I don't think he was at all implying that he would not be happy with her in the future.  But Amy taking his words at face value, especially since she already knows he was in distress when he said those things, and suggesting that taking a break from their relationship, seems to me to be counterproductive.

And I don't think that taking a break from the relationship so that he can figure out how much he misses her is very adult, either.

I think that the only real way for them to get on the same page is for them to talk it out honestly and openly, like they did in the Raiders episode.  For her to say something like, I didn't mean to push you, or to say that they need to talk about how he spoke to her, how he treats her or whatever.  And he needs to apologize for yelling at her, needs to admit what it is he wants from the relationship or whatever.

But I don't think that it's true that Amy has never had any power in the relationship.  Sheldon thinks he has the power, but in reality, it's Amy.  Whether or not she chooses to use it is a different issue.  But because she knows the RelAg as well as he does, she knows how to use it when she has to.  She knows how to manipulate him if she has to, like in Table, or even in Indecision in the butter scene.  She knew how to set up the Locomotive scenario to make it work for both of them (though her attempts to manipulate him into feeling or acting romantic backfired on her)

If she chose to, she could put her foot down--as she has in the past.  But I think she chooses her battles.

When they were just friends, she still had power over him because he has always been smitten with her, not matter how cool he tries to play it.

I don't think she has subsumed herself for him.  I think she has made an informed choice to be with him and to deal with him as he is.

Does that mean it's going to be all sunshine and roses?  No.  But that doesn't mean that she needs to take a break from him.

In a way, he's giving her a break.  But I don't think it means that she needs a break from him in order to be happy or to enjoy their relationship again.

I think that whether or not the writers choose to have them working together or having fun doing stuff together is a separate issue from wether or not they need to take a break from each other.  Especially if the point of them taking a break is supposedly to "teach him a lesson" or whatever.

• Like 2

What I hate the most of all this is the fact that Amy could win the award as the saddest character of the season. I know that award usually goes to Stuart, but even he got to catch a break in the finale! (honestly, it was about time!, he could be a tertiary character but I hate to see him portrayed as eternally pathetic)

Also, I'm irked at the fact that this wasn't even Shamy-drama, it was pure Sheldon-drama, with Amy getting the worst part of it. I mean, Lenny were the ones that ignited the fire in the first place in this ep and they actually had the chance to get their heartfelt moment with him! It irks me because probably for next season start everyone would be more than happy to be Sheldon-free except Amy, who probably will be shown as being eager to have him back, just to make some super-funny jokes about him not missing her at all or ignoring her cheerful welcome. 

Ha-ha.

• Like 8

Can I just ask, when Amy was hitting leonard with the pillow and saying "why did you let him leave?" Was that a funny scene or an emotional scene? Like, did the audience laugh? And thanks for posting the report!

Yeah, it was meant to end it on a humorous note. Mayim was cracking up and trying to hide her face from camera so that we wouldn't see it because, well, she was kind of killing it. Especially when they did it the second time and Johnny climbed over the couch and across the floor and out his own front door. It was pretty funny if you look at it objectively, but in the context of the episode, honestly, my heart just broke for Amy. 

I'm trying to catch up on all the posts I missed since last night because I have so much to say!

• Like 3

I agree. I think the issue is that he essentially threw a line at her that would be the make or break for tons of couples: he mocked the idea of marrying her, starting a family and growing old together. I know he probably said it in jest, because she threw living together at him and he was upset and he took it and ran with it like he often does, but that doesn't change the fact that 1) he might have been serious in his mocking and 2) he needs to learn that something like that can have massive consequences. And that counts for the writers too, I don't understand why they constantly need to hammer home that Sheldon despises everything Amy seems to want from their relationship. There was no need to go there.

I talked in chat about that line a lot last night.  I admit that it might just be my own personal headcanon, but while I understand how that line would upset Amy, I think behind the sarcasm there was truth and fear in his statement.  He jumped to the subject of marriage, kids, and growing old together.  That didn't come from Amy.  It was something that was already on his brain for him to spit it out like that.  He just scared and not prepared for it, but I didn't take it as something was truely mocking.  I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's the way I took it.  

Edited by nickelette424
  • Like 3

Really Mayim? I adore you, but maybe its better to not say anything rather than encourage a finale that makes your character look like nothing but a doormat.

And personally speaking, if they were going to go the dramatic route I would myself DEFINITELY have been rejoicing if they had restored balance and Amy broke up with Sheldon.

Edited by AndyRenee
  • Like 6

I actually would like to see Amy say she wants to take a break from their boyfriend/girlfriend relationship and just go back to being friends for a while. I think it would definitely make Sheldon realize how much he misses the intimacy of being her boyfriend he would have, but also I would like to see them focus on rebuilding what has been lost and possibly a joint work project can help them do that. I think that they were far more intimate and smitten when they were not complicated by being officially in the relationship. They were already in a relationship, just without the label. I doubt they will go there in the show, but honestly I think it would do a world of good to get back and try to rebuild this thing. Right now I can't say it is a terribly satisfying relationship.

I would 100% support this scenario.

• Like 1

But, in the end, he's SHELDON.  He has issues.  He's never going to be like other people.  And he's not very good at expressing or even acknowledging his emotions.  Yes, it definitely sucks for Amy, and I have spent many an episode feeling SO sorry for her.  But as has been pointed out, she GETS him.  She's the only one who really does.  And I think Sheldon knows that--even though their relationship has changed since they've become a couple.  He goes to her with his problems, he asks for her opinion before making decisions.  She's still the one he goes to.  And the thing is, I don't think Sheldon MEANS to be mean to Amy.  He's just so clueless, and he reacts or speaks without thinking.  And yes, Amy should get upset with him more, but it's not like she never does.  And when she does get upset, Sheldon knows about it.  And he doesn't like when he upsets her.  He's brought himself to apologize to her (which is super hard for him) and he always tries to make amends in those situations, even if it's only in his crazy Sheldon-y way.  And then, as has been pointed out, there are the times when he figures things out for himself, like when he stops halfway down the hall to turn back around and take care of her when she's sick.  She brings out this side of him because she's different.  Because his feelings for her aren't the same as his feelings toward his friends or other people.

I know that many of you are mad at Sheldon right now, and I actually laughed at the comment about him being a douchebag, because let's face it, he totally is sometimes.  But like I said, I think he's seriously clueless about it so many times because his psychological issues make him blind to it.  Not that that's any kind of excuse at all to treat Amy in any other way than what she deserves.  But I do think that he has definitely been changing, but change--especially in a person like Sheldon--doesn't happen over night.  Sheldon has always run away from his problems and from change, and in this season, he has dealt with a LOT and has grown up a little bit along the way as well.  And I think up until the finale, he has actually dealt with all the change quite admirably, especially for him. 

I think his words to her and to Stuart about her, are a product of being scared and confused.  Yes, she should be hurt by what he said to her, but she also understands how his mind works and I'm sure she knows that he's overwhelmed.  She knows not to take it as personally as it would be taken from anyone else.  I don't think his comment to Stuart is supposed to be meant as some horrible thing that's ruining his life, I think it's more that it's another change that he's having to deal with, as someone else said, and he's just completely overwhelmed and confused.  Now that I've had time to clear my head, I think his leaving really HAD to happen in order to effect change.  He needs to be alone with himself for a while to really figure out everything that has been said and that is happening, and to sort his feelings out.  My heart was breaking for her by the end of this, and I'm sure she's going to be hurt, and yes, I hope they make sure she lets Sheldon know this.  But what I love about Amy is that she so totally understands him, and that's why their relationship works and why she's the only one he's ever even considered being with romantically.  I'm not saying that's always fair to her--he definitely needs to start stepping up.  I don't want to see her treated as a doormat, and I have to be honest that it bugs the crap out of me how she's left out of important scenes sometimes just because they want to focus more on Penny and Leonard (and let me be honest, I'm pretty miffed at them both after having read what goes on in this episode).  I don't want Sheldon and Amy to break up, but I do agree with all of you who said that she needs to put him in his place and let him know how he's hurt her and make him do the work for once in the relationship.  That would be great to see.  And I think it could have a lot of comedic potential too, so I don't think we should rule it out as a possibility.

I think Amy knows deep down that Sheldon really does care for her.  She may even get that he loves her (I still honestly think he really does, and I'm REALLY hoping this comes out of his mouth and through his actions in season 8).  And contrary to what some others have said about her self-confidence, I think the fact that she doesn't completely freak out about things in this episode shows that she DOES have at least an ounce of self-confidence and that she's confident in the relationship.  It's definitely sad though that he leaves without saying goodbye and now she gets to miss him and wonder what's going to happen while he's gone and when he gets back.  But I'm truly hoping this is the catalyst their relationship needs to move forward.  Sheldon always runs away from truths he doesn't want or isn't yet ready to face.  I think with all of these life-altering things going on, Amy's suggestion about moving in together set him off, because he's thought about it.  He knows he loves her, knows it's a possibility they might actually get married someday, etc, and that's a huge change, and now he's forced to face that reality instead of pushing it aside, and combined with everything else, it scares the crap out of him. 

What I've noticed is that when Sheldon embraces something, he truly EMBRACES it.  Even kissing Amy.  He obviously enjoys it on the train, he wrote it into the relationship agreement, and when he kisses her on date night, he's happy to do so.  He even tells Stephen Hawking "I kiss girls now".  And yeah, I get that that's not necessarily love, but it shows that he's embracing a part of himself that he has always otherwise denied--the need or like of physical contact.  The need or want to be with someone, etc. 

Whether we have faith in the writers or not, I really don't think they'd set all of this up in season 7 with the slow progression into more intimacy and the repeated reminders of how important Amy is in his life just to start season 8 as though none of this ever happened.  And I especially don't think they'd set all of that up and then just drop it.  I think they really just wanted a strong reaction out of everyone and to throw us for a loop.  Good writing, and good art of any kind, makes us feel strongly and invokes emotions.  They want that from us at this point.  They know a lot of people are invested in this, and they want to leave us in suspense, wondering what's going to happen from here.  I just really hope they give us the payoff we're hoping for.

I think the fact that he recognizes that Amy loves him is huge.  Yes, he ran away, but it wasn't just because of her--it was a culmination of so many things.  And he's still calling her--that's very telling and encouraging.  He's not really running from HER.  She's still the one he's turning to while he's on this trip.  He needs her.

So while this is not at ALL what I was hoping for from the season 7 finale, I think there are still great things for Shamy ahead.  I really do believe that Sheldon loves her, and I really do think we're going to see that.  I just refuse to believe that they would set all of this up for no payoff at all.  Things move slowly on this show, especially where Sheldon is concerned, but we're getting there.  This may feel like a giant step backward, but I think it's really what had to happen to get him into the place he needs to be to finally move forward.  I think Sheldon is just really starting to see how important she really IS to him, and how important he is to her, and that scares him.  He wants to be in control of his emotions at all times.  In fact, he doesn't even feel comfortable HAVING emotions many times, so he's rebelling against it a bit.

The bottom line for me is this:  The writers have set up so many plot points--the talks about how physical intimacy some day is a possibility, the D&D game, telling Amy how he feels like what they have is extremely intimate, taking care of her when she's sick, their first real kiss, and his liking and repeating of the kiss, the repeated mentions of them living together, even the little scene where he wakes up practically naked and we're led to believe for a second that Amy is in bed with him, and especially all the stuff about how she's the key to his happiness and how he should appreciate her.  I don't think they would keep going down this road if wasn't leading SOMEWHERE.  I REALLY have to hope that the writers aren't that dense, and that they have a plan.  Everything just takes more time with Sheldon, and sometimes it's like he has to be hit over the head with a brick to get it.  Like his mother says "You have to take your time with Sheldon."  It's a recurring theme.  But just seeing how much progress he's made and the fact that they've even given him a girlfriend to begin with, and the fact that they've even said that they can see the possibility of the two of them getting physical eventually, it really makes me believe that things will work out--not just physically, but emotionally between the two.  Sheldon will continue to grow and push back against that growth at his Sheldony pace, which is aggravating at times, but which is also why the end result will be so rewarding.

Welcome!  You've summed it up nicely.

Sheldon did what he did and said what he said because he's scared and doesn't know which way is up.  He isn't really equipped emotionally to handle all this change at one time so no matter what he says it's going to come out mean and negative.  His going away is the best thing for him and Amy because this way he can figure everything out without feeling any pressure from anyone.

My son is exactly like this and getting away from everything gives him a chance to step back, evaluate things and only then can he actually vocalize what he wants to say.

• Like 1