The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rachelshamyfan

The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

Welcome!  You've summed it up nicely.

Sheldon did what he did and said what he said because he's scared and doesn't know which way is up.  He isn't really equipped emotionally to handle all this change at one time so no matter what he says it's going to come out mean and negative.  His going away is the best thing for him and Amy because this way he can figure everything out without feeling any pressure from anyone.

My son is exactly like this and getting away from everything gives him a chance to step back, evaluate things and only then can he actually vocalize what he wants to say.

Thank you, Anita! 

To be honest, even though this is really how I see things, I keep flip-flopping between thinking everything will work out just fine, and being depressed about the whole thing.  I was thinking up fanfic plotlines a while ago and was actually tearing up.  So I'm glad to see you agree with these thoughts, and it's nice to have that perspective about your son.  I really do hope that when Sheldon returns, things won't just go back to how they were, but that he'll at least be able to tell Amy how he feels.

• Like 2

Oh, Sheldon loves Amy. He's afraid that's all. What a baby. Lol. But then again, when it comes to matters of the heart,who isn't? I can totally relate with Sheldon. Let me digress a bit, just recently, I realized I'm in love with a close friend and it coincided with my realization that I don't like the field I am in. I ran away too. I left grad school, changed work twice and changed apartments thrice. That's three cities in one year! It wasn't easy but I needed to find myself, so to speak. And it turned out well.

Anyway, like strawberry quick with syrup, he knows he is better with her than on his own. He doesn't dislike it; he said the drink was yummy as I believe he knows his life will be once he commits fully to her. But it scares him because it is yet another change. 

He is, moreover, aware that her suggestion to move in is well-meaning: it's because she loves him. And I don't think he disregards her feelings, otherwise he wouldn't have called her. He  checked in with her after he has calmed down, which isn't exactly a dick move. Had he called her before or upon boarding the train, he would have given her the same treatment as when he was he was in her apartment.

I also liked that he said he's doing well because if he said he's not, his call would not have appeased his worried girlfriend. It goes without saying that that doesn't make the situation easier for him and I think Amy knows that. I choose to see this as an indication that he is actually being considerate. 

Also, in my opinion, Amy is not being a doormat here. In previous episodes this season, we saw her several times calling him out for his bad behavior towards her (raiders, workplace, locomotive). She just chose not to do so in this case. And there's a beauty in it. She understands him and even though it distresses her too, she steps back to allow him to resolve his issues. She did not berate him for leaving and instead let him know she's glad he is okay. She is so perfect for him. And I think in his own messed up ways, he is trying, struggling to be perfect for her, too.

Lastly, as has been pointed out, they both need this space. It's the first time since they became a couple that they'll be apart from each other under uncertain terms. I think it will make up for an interesting reunion next season.

Oh, wow. There now. I feel better. 

Thank you so much for that post, Miss Carmeli!  That was beautiful, and you made me feel better too!  I totally agree with this!  And now I'm looking forward to the next season.  :)

• Like 3

Oh, Sheldon loves Amy. He's afraid that's all. What a baby. Lol. But then again, when it comes to matters of the heart,who isn't? I can totally relate with Sheldon. Let me digress a bit, just recently, I realized I'm in love with a close friend and it coincided with my realization that I don't like the field I am in. I ran away too. I left grad school, changed work twice and changed apartments thrice. That's three cities in one year! It wasn't easy but I needed to find myself, so to speak. And it turned out well.

Anyway, like strawberry quick with syrup, he knows he is better with her than on his own. He doesn't dislike it; he said the drink was yummy as I believe he knows his life will be once he commits fully to her. But it scares him because it is yet another change. 

He is, moreover, aware that her suggestion to move in is well-meaning: it's because she loves him. And I don't think he disregards her feelings, otherwise he wouldn't have called her. He  checked in with her after he has calmed down, which isn't exactly a dick move. Had he called her before or upon boarding the train, he would have given her the same treatment as when he was he was in her apartment.

I also liked that he said he's doing well because if he said he's not, his call would not have appeased his worried girlfriend. It goes without saying that that doesn't make the situation easier for him and I think Amy knows that. I choose to see this as an indication that he is actually being considerate. 

Also, in my opinion, Amy is not being a doormat here. In previous episodes this season, we saw her several times calling him out for his bad behavior towards her (raiders, workplace, locomotive). She just chose not to do so in this case. And there's a beauty in it. She understands him and even though it distresses her too, she steps back to allow him to resolve his issues. She did not berate him for leaving and instead let him know she's glad he is okay. She is so perfect for him. And I think in his own messed up ways, he is trying, struggling to be perfect for her, too.

Lastly, as has been pointed out, they both need this space. It's the first time since they became a couple that they'll be apart from each other under uncertain terms. I think it will make up for an interesting reunion next season.

Oh, wow. There now. I feel better. 

^^^this exactly.

I'm a newbie here, so hey everyone. :) I don't have much to say. I think you all covered everything.

But holy crud, guys. The NEGATIVITY. Dang. I can hardly wrap my brain around all this pessimism.

Some shippers are like...

a6enu2ah.jpg

And the some people are like...

yvu3anaj.jpg

So here's a picture of a puppy.

azagesyr.jpg

And here's a picture of some guy wearing a huge scarf.

aty6u5e9.jpg

Look. Baby pandas.

7azypyty.jpg

I hope you guys all feel better, because this forum is depressing me beyond belief.

*Hugs*

4uzena3a.jpg

• Like 8

You aren't wrong, Puppy Tornado. I start to snap out of it and then I come back here and now I feel like Sheldon just broke up with me after saying terrible things and I'm going to be alone and unhappy all summer.

tumblr_inline_n46jxfXrPW1qlk9ya.gif

Edited by shamyyellow
  • Like 3

Aw, shamyyellow, don't be that way. :( If you're going to stick around, then there's no point in being negative. It's apparent that we all still have faith in the relationship -- or else we wouldn't be here. So let's calm down and try to make the best out of what we've got. If there's anyone who isn't willing to do that, then you're always free to walk off the plank of the Shamy ship. No one's stopping you.

Here's some pictures of the happy times to cheer us up. :)

y5u5ebu2.jpg

evetu5yb.jpg

e7y6ajet.jpg

ytujypa3.jpg

yba9u7ah.jpg

he4e6ery.jpg

unagazab.jpg

juqaje7u.jpg

Don't give up on them!

Honesty, everyone. This is a fandom, not a let's-try-our-hardest-to-ruin-everything-and-make-everybody-cry-dom. Some of you are like the schoolyard bullies who grab the kickball and flatten it with their hands, ruining the fun for us all. What's the point? It is what it is and there's nothing we can do about it. We have absolutely no power over what Sheldon and Amy choose to do. That's up to the writers. Not to us.

Sure, it's fun to delve in fantasies and write fanfiction and think of headcanons, but at the end of the day we don't have any real influence over the show. And if you aren't enjoying it, if it becomes too much for you, then don't torture yourself. Back away and take a breather. That's what I did last season, and I after recently watching the train kiss, I hopped right back onto the ship with more energy than ever. Honestly, people. Just like Sheldon needs to take a break from his life, some of you need to break up with the show. This negativity is ridiculous. Go and knit a sweater or something... distract your mind, go to the gym, do some yoga, listen to relaxing music... Take a pill.

And what's up with the Lenny hate? You're all calling them shit friends, and that doesn't make any sense at all. I can't even remember one rude thing either of them have ever done to her besides the incidents in the finale. They've just got wedding fever, and they're a little self-involved... They're only human. Hey, they were with her when she was on the phone with Sheldon. They're good people. If Amy's hurting, they'll help her. Sure, the fact that they didn't bring her to the train station is confusing -- maybe they didn't want to waste time? They didn't know when his train was leaving, so it's rational that they'd want to get there ASAP in order to catch him before he left. Without that variable, I'm sure they would have picked up Amy. But I wouldn't overthink it -- again, there's really no point, and most of it's just sloppy writing.

e8a9abar.jpg

epyve4aq.jpg

We all love you, Ames. :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/24/2e7y7u6u.jpg

• Like 2

Wow...such interesting discussion relating to the finale.  I will admit when I saw the taping reports (Muchos gracias to the intrepid reporters:  Kazzie, Michy, delsino, and MJ!) that I was a bit bummed with the "Sheldon leaves and was yet again sort of a jerk to Amy scenario" (more on that later), but also was glad to see that Raj and Stuart had some happiness for once.  Did not see the Stuart/Mrs. W(Debbie!) possibility on the radar at all...so, good one writers!  I will be all kinds of glad if Stuart goes back to the character he was early in the series...not the anti-depressant taking, perennial "Eyore" that has appeared in more recent seasons.  I like the Emily character (Jane Bennett...yay!), and hope they can explore some fun things with her and Raj in the future, and not have it turn into another Raj dating disaster so quickly.

I'm also glad the writers finally got on board with the Lenny engagement...mainly for the Leonard character (no slam on Penny intended!).  He's such a good guy, (how he turned out so well with his nightmare of a mother is a wonder! ;-) and I am happy for his happiness.

Now to the Shamy...Oh Shamy, what shall we do with you.  It was clear from the past few taping reports that Sheldon was headed for epic meltdown, so many changes all at once!  Actually, I think they've had the character handle things surprisingly well...he's not curled in a fetal position on his bed, nor building a death ray!  I think him leaving to sort things out is not that bad of a proposition.  He'll hopefully figure out what is important to him...and the "riding the rails" setting has the potential for some funny adventures...what if he meets up with some itinerant geologists, real hippies, or degenerate carnival folk!

But my poor Amy...give that girl a hug and a cookie!  I can imagine she has whiplash what with things going along so well with the kissing, etc...then the barb from Sheldon about their future (I know he doesn't mean it deep down...but still pretty harsh!) and him taking off.  All is not doom and gloom though...he did call her to check in, and the strawberry quick line, "No it's better..." is pretty telling where Shelly's heart really is).   I hope her understanding and forbearance with Sheldon will be worth it in the end (I actually know it will...the show is way too invested in the Shamy to give up now!)  I just hope TPTB don't put her through too much more of a ringer on the way.

What I would like to see next season, is for the Shamy to return to the honest communication they established early on in the relationship...I can hear Amy saying to the returning Sheldon,  "I'm glad you worked some things out, I really, really missed you, now...some of your recent behaviors are not acceptable!"  (recalling the pet name discussion ;-)   Then I would like the storylines to focus more on the fun Shamy "couple of weirdos" aspects, with little relationship steps thrown in from time to time.

I am looking forward to the stories our awesome fanfic writers will come up with to keep us somewhat sane over the summer!

Oh, sorry I have rambled on here...strange to be sort of invested in fictional TV characters...but nevertheless, I am. 

p.s. of course everything I said above could change once the episode actually airs! (other that what I would like for the Shamy going forward ;-)

• Like 4

Can somebody explain this strawberry quik thing to me? I've seen the significance of it mentioned quite a few times but the way Kazzie transcribed the conversation, I can't seem to find the double meaning. I can see how it might mean something if worded differently, but I'm kind of lost. I'm normally so good at reading into things too.

Strawberry Quik is Sheldon's favorite pink fluid (barely beating out Pepto-Bismol).  So he really likes it.  It usually comes as a powder you add to milk.  Evidently, Amy has the syrup, which Sheldon says tastes better.  But, it's a change, which is why he doesn't want to like the syrup.  

• Like 5

I saw it in the mini taping report from someone on FanForum...someone previously posted it here...but I couldn't find it...so here is the original post:

http://www.fanforum.com/75644843-post215.html

(hope it is OK to snip part of that post and copy here, let me know if otherwise)

Though one line that stood out for me that I don't think has been mentioned so far was, when Sheldon was upset that Amy used the syrup instead of the powder for his strawberry milk, Amy argued that it doesn't matter because they taste the same. Sheldon says something like, "No, the syrup tastes better, and I don't like it!"

Of course, that's completely Sheldon, refusing to accept change even if the new is something better than the old. And maybe the writers only threw it in as a joke, but I also sort of viewed it as a sign that Sheldon could (will probably?) end up liking the changes, once he gets over his objection to change itself.

I agree with others that this wasn't simply a throw away joke line, he knows things will be better in the end...just having a hard time getting there!

Edited by bhreg
  • Like 4

The starwberry quick line, the phone call and Penny saying he needs this is what is saving me from being really upset about this episode - but I will give a final verdict when I see it play out

• Like 1

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING! Wonderful post!

Seriously, you should have come out of lurkedom much sooner! As for the latter point of your post, I have like two or three ideas already. If only they let me write for the show... if only. That's what upsets me the most about Shamy, that there's so much to do with them IN SCIENCE that is perfectly fitting for the show, comedic and could advance their relationship that I truly don't understand why the writers waste time on this stupid push-and-pull over sex to drag things out. Give them a project to work on and keep them busy! 

Aww, thank you! I heart your posts muchly, but apparently I have (already!) run out of likes.

Oh, lord, yes. Remember when Amy was a brilliant, successful scientist? Remember when Sheldon had wider interests in general (and in science in particular) than his own (see Doctor Hofstadter, Beverley)? Remember when Doctors Cooper and Fowler had fun together? 

So, yes, give 'em a project! Keep 'em busy!

• Like 2

I ran out of likes, so I'm just gonna quote.

(blushes) aww, thanks, pisquenta! (waves) I should confess that- as vexing as these latest developments have been- the wealth of humour and insight that rage has unleashed in you lovely people has been terrific.

• Like 1

I've been trying to process and organize my thoughts and I'm still struggling, but I'll give it a shot.

Obviously, disappointment set in pretty early on. I wanted this episode to end well for Shamy and I definitely had my hopes up. This was not what I had in mind. But I think my biggest problem with it has to be the timing. We all knew that Sheldon was going to freak out, but I don't know if anybody guessed he wouldn't be any better by the end of the episode as he was at the beginning. I certainly didn't think they were going to build all of these obstacles throughout the season just to leave it unresolved until next season. I probably should have, but I didn't. This storyline would have been better as the first part of a two parter episode. That's probably how they're going to treat it when the show returns, but like I said, timing is an issue. If Sheldon's breakdown could have started in the previous episode, I can't help but feel like there would have been more time for everything and some of these scenes wouldn't be so cut and dry and hard to swallow. 

One thing I've been seeing a lot of you saying is that Sheldon is fine (per his phone conversation with Amy) and I couldn't disagree more. I know we're all hoping there will be some kind of pre-taped scene with Sheldon looking upset after hanging up the phone, but even if there isn't, I don't think we need it. Sheldon Cooper just left by himself via train with none of his belongings and absolutely no plans. Why did he leave? Because his life is falling apart. He isn't fine, you guys! This is the opposite of fine. He doesn't even like when he's forced to take paid vacations, now he's going to be some bag in the wind hippie with no structure or routine to keep his head on straight? We don't need to see him visibly upset to know he is. The only problem I see is that Amy should know he isn't ok. That wouldn't fly over her head like everything else did in this episode. 

I don't agree with the way Sheldon is treating Amy, but I don't think it's fair to say he's regressing because these circumstances are unprecedented. The writers haven't been shy about tearing his life to shreds lately. The worst thing that has happened to Sheldon before this season was being forced to take a paid vacation or drinking out of Leonard's water glass. In the last 7 episodes, the foundation of his childhood was deemed a lie and his relationship with his mother is strained as a result, his childhood hero/father figure died, the field he's dedicated his life to is declared a dead end and his university won't let him make the switch to something else, his roommate is moving out, and his happy place has burned down. These are all very difficult things for anybody to accept, much less someone like Sheldon. And these aren't optional endeavors that he can choose to ignore. These are things he can't run away from and that brings me to Amy.

Adding Amy to the mix complicates Sheldon's life even more. He accidentally kissed her on Valentine's day and as a result, included it into their date night routine. This is something he probably never saw for himself and the idea that his feelings for her are growing without his approval must be really hard for him to accept. It wasn't easy for him when his life was in order and everything was coming up Sheldon, how is he suppose to handle it now? We all know that he has feelings for Amy that won't go away just because he wants them to. He's never wanted to want her, but he always has and probably always will. That's where the problem with their relationship stems from. Sheldon is looking at his relationship with Amy as an obstacle like all the other problems in his life. It isn't until he sees Amy for what she is (the best thing to ever happen to him) that things will start looking up. We just have to keep the faith that this trip he's on will spell things out for him. 

Wonderful, insightful post, but I've bolded the bits with which I superdoubleplusagree and wish I'd thought of myself. I agree that Sheldon's life is being systematically dismantled right now, and it makes sense for him to go into a tailspin. 

I also completely agree that this episode makes sense viewed as the first of a two-parter. And I am still hoping that the second part ends (or, hey, begins!) with Amy saying 'enough is sufficient', and showing Sheldon the door or window. Because, yes, she signed up (literally) for a relationship with a selfish manchild, but she is not obligated to stick it out indefinitely. You have Penny and Bernadette! You have Emily! You have your career, Amy! Don't sell yourself short.

If, after some distance, Amy and Sheldon rediscover their pleasure in each other's company, and then give it a go on a more equal footing, that would be lovely.

Until then, I am slightly concerned that Amy will continue to be Sheldon's mother/psychiatrist/confidant/enabler, with occasional smoochies. I mean, wow. I know the show likes going there, but-um.

• Like 9

Well, every taping report has the language of the Strawberry Quik scene a little different, so I don't know which one is accurate, but the overall sense I get from the exchange is that Sheldon likes it a different way than he usually does it, and it hates that he likes it. That sums up quite a few things which are happening to Sheldon, and should give you a good idea of where Sheldon's head is at. A lot of people have mentioned that what Sheldon is reacting to by taking flight is his natural aversion and reaction to change, but I think there's a lot more to it than that and the Strawberry Quik is just an example of the plethora of issues.

To me, these are: change, control, being wrong.

and more....

And not the Strawberry Quik that started this mess either. Unless you spiked it. In which case, I approve.

BRAVO!!!!  Totally agree with your post above Lio and with Koop's post just below it.   Kudos to both of you for expressing exactly what I have been feeling about this mess of a finale.  

It continues to baffle me how TPTB still seemingly refuse to acknowledge that the show has four leads now.

I totally agree with this and they need to understand this before S8 begins or they will start seeing people lose interest in Shamy and the show.  It really has become clear that Mayim has a huge following and is adored by fans.   They love Amy and want more of Amy's story told, her family introduced and for her to be a bigger part of the overall equation on the show.   Sure we all love her as Sheldon's girlfriend, but we love her as the bestie to Penny, the good friend with Bernadette, the new friend to Emily, the friend to Howard and Raj as well.  She is an important part of the group, and to see her end up totally alone in this episode without any happiness just breaks my heart. 

I would have thought with two Emmy nominations and a SAG award nomination by now they would have figured this out!   It drives me nuts that fans get it and they don't.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 7

Now I am one of the biggest Sheldon and shamy fans going and am generally very positive but yesterday was extreme

OK 24 hours after hearing what was initially some dreadful scenario story about Sheldon and Amy and where are they going, should they stay together or not and all that goes with it, I have reduced my initial crazyness over it

Although I still think that the way Sheldon lashed out at Amy was wrong especially when he didn't react as badly when amy made the same suggestion in tenure and I think Amy should dump his sorry ass for that alone, but we know that ain't gonna happen seeing as the writers will just let her get on with things like they are all OK

Sheldon needs to come back with fresh perspective and a better understanding of his very patient girlfriend and or Amy needs to find her spine and tell him things will need to change, I just feel very sad for Amy because she will be expected to put up with it and that's not good either

It also seems that the line I really hate in tonights episode about Amy being jealous of penny comes true in the finale as penny is sooooooo understanding of Sheldon's problem

Also dear writers less emphasis on the so called special relationship of s&p would be nice

Sorry if this came out in a rambling mess but still trying to process

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 4

Poor Amy my heart breaks for her, Sheldon is a complete jerk he needs to sort himself out, Amy deserves better - he knows that, he doesn't know how to treat her better he better realise this, sure he has to figure out other things in his life but he better fricking figure out where he is with Amy and start treating her well!

• Like 1