The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

And the coyness about his 'deal' embraces his whole personality, too. I know that the writers can't come out and say that Sheldon has a neurological condition, because then people will (correctly) get uncomfortable about mocking a person with an illness. They can't come out and say 'Oh, he's just an asshole', because then people will (correctly) ask 'Then why do people put up with him?'. So this reticence, combined with their unwillingness to let Sheldon change or to let his friends challenge him seriously, means that he comes off as a sociopathic manchild surrounded by enablers. 'The Table Polarisation', to my mind, really drives home how problematic this is. The writers have written themselves into a corner with Sheldon, and to that degree, I welcome the events of this episode, if it means that homeboy will be forced to man the _____ up.

OMG yes emphatically to all of this especially the bolded part.  But again, I don't think the writers see it and I don't trust them with follow through on it.  Period.  They've given me no reason to trust them, so I'm just along for the ride now, expectations be damned cause in the end, I still love the show at the end of the day and I'm not ready or willing to give it up.  It can be fixed, its just now way more complicated than it could have been.

• Like 3

And the coyness about his 'deal' embraces his whole personality, too. I know that the writers can't come out and say that Sheldon has a neurological condition, because then people will (correctly) get uncomfortable about mocking a person with an illness. They can't come out and say 'Oh, he's just an asshole', because then people will (correctly) ask 'Then why do people put up with him?'. So this reticence, combined with their unwillingness to let Sheldon change or to let his friends challenge him seriously, means that he comes off as a sociopathic manchild surrounded by enablers. 'The Table Polarisation', to my mind, really drives home how problematic this is. The writers have written themselves into a corner with Sheldon, and to that degree, I welcome the events of this episode, if it means that homeboy will be forced to man the _____ up.

I just have to say that I actually busted out laughing at the bolded.

True story though.

• Like 2

Wednesday I woke up at 230am to go to work and was very excited to read the taping report, fully expecting to die of Shamy feels and have the best day at work. After I read the report I was in denial, this can't be true they wouldn't do this! Very soon after I was angry. I stayed anger for a couple hours. I was the worst person to work with, I was kinda snippy and had a bit of an attitude. Around noon I was making every excuse in the book for why the writers did this. Then the depression set in, at night I always watch TBS and at least 2 or 3 episodes of bbt. When it came on I told my boyfriend it was ok if he turned it to basketball (Which I can't stand watching on tv) to say the least he was surprised. I couldn't even talk to him about it because he's unspoiled. I found out there is another Shamy shipper I work with, he was willing to be spoiled and I spoke to him about the finale, he was shocked to say the least. After talking to him I came to terms with the fact that in order to make Sheldon be the man he constantly tells everyone he is, something like this had to happen. I've never gone through the 5 stages of grief so quickly in my life. 

After really thinking about everything that has taken place this season I now truly believe that this had to happen. Sheldon stepping back and attempting to deal with all these life changes is for the best, for everyone involved. I don't agree with him basically running away, there are other ways he could have gone about leaving, but this is Sheldon. As someone who has a hard time dealing with feelings and change myself I understand the need to separate yourself from a situation in order to see the bigger picture. My greatest hope is that the writers continue this in the Season 8 opener and show the progress Sheldon has made in his self realization. I agree that he probably didn't go to see his mother. My thoughts are that he either went to visit his Meemaw or maybe even Leonard's mother.  If his Meemaw is anything like my grandmother (who I call Ma and she's from Georgia) she will whip him into shape. Southern Grandmothers usually don't play around when it come to acting out or hurting others feelings, as my Ma would say, "Don't you do her that'a way!", they also have a great way of making you feel instantly guilty. I hope they take this as an opportunity to make advance the Shamy. Forcing Sheldon to grow and realize his feelings as well as making Amy more outspoken and being more firm with Sheldon when he starts freaking out. 

Having way too much in common with Sheldon I feel bad for him. So much has happened this season and I can see why he freaked out.  I freak out if my boyfriend is playing around and says he's going to sleep on my side of the bed or if he sits in my spot on the couch. I don't know what I would do if  something I worked hard on was disproved and embarrassed me, if my mother was proven to be a hypocrite, if I felt like I wasted essentially my entire life on something that couldn't be proven, my mentor died and my favorite place no longer existed. Then to add to all that one of the constants in my life were being to taken away then feeling like your being forced either out of where you've lived for over ten years or feeling like you're being forced to live alone. Also not knowing how to express yourself to the one person who actually understands you. I would be in a constant state of panic if all of this was thrown at me. I freaked out when i got promoted at work and that was a good thing, I couldn't imagine if I felt like what I did didn't matter or if it was a dead end. 

Overall after a day of thinking about this entire situation and taking into account the other episodes( Anything can happen and Proton) I think this season was major for the overall growth of the group. Howard and Bernadette working together to take care of his mother and becoming a very strong couple. Leonard and Penny realizing what's important and advancing their relationship. Raj finally figuring out that people like him for him and in order to be happy in life he first needs to be happy with himself. Sheldon and Amy advancing in certain aspects of their relationship while trying to navigate personal issues which we will hopefully see a resolution to in the first couple episodes of season 8. 

I'm not saying the summer will make Sheldon make a complete 180 and change, I would hate if they completely changed him. I just hope that they make him more sensitive to Amy's needs and realizes he needs to treat everyone better, even if they show him actively working on it in season 8 i'd be happy. 

I seriously think this is the longest post i've ever made, but this is what i've been thinking about all day. 

You make such great points here, KayMarie!  And I'm right there with you on the stages of grief thing.  I still have moments where I feel bad about all of this, but overall, I agree that it really needed to happen and that this can definitely be a GOOD thing in the long run.    I'm personally glad that they didn't break up and that Sheldon is calling her.  It shows that he still really cares about her, and I'm really looking forward to their reuinion and how all of this change and his soul searching will play out in season 8.  I really hope the writers have something good planned for Shamy.  Judging by all the set up they've done this season, I really think that has to be the case.

• Like 2

OMG....not to get off topic, but I LOL'd at that video. I love Snoopy Come Home!

My favorite Peanuts movie and one of my all-time childhood faves... I love how they didn't pull any emotional punches back then.

Anyway... Getting back on topic here... People have offered up theories on Sheldon considering the growth and changes in his and Amy's relationship and trying to come to terms with them (the "one" convo with Raj, the bringing up of a life together in the finale, the strawberry quick, and a couple more I don't rwmember right now).

In any case we know a couple of things for sure about Sheldon: he can't keep a secret and he can't lie.

So, I think Sheldon, aside from being thrown in the emotional blender in the finale, is no stranger at the moment to the horrible feeling of "breaking up". He just "terminated" his relationship with string theory, and it sent him into turmoil.

My point is... I think Sheldon is feeling... Inadequate. Like, if the Lenny engagement had not come at such a bad time, he wouldn't have snapped at the idea of moving in with Amy. I think his reaction is reminiscent of the times he lost his sh*t trying to cover up a lie. I think he was trying to cover up the fact that he WANTS all these things with Amy but his brains and his pride can't come to terms with making the commitment while everything else in his life is falling apart and he feels so vulnerable.

I think Amy needs to shake him up a bit. I hope the next season opens with him on the train and everything that goes wrong. He'll need to get himself out of something, so he will gain some confidence in hinself. Perhaps the next step for him will be to live alone. Then when he realizes the only person he can count on is Amy SHE SHOULD DUMP HIS SORRY A** xD lol... No, seriously, Amy needs to shake him up when he returns... With men like Sheldon (I have a very similar one of my own) sometimes the only thing that works them up is saying: "go figure out what you want, and when you do, come see if I'm still available".

It worked for my mom, too, come to think of it :p

• Like 3

. My thoughts are that he either went to visit his Meemaw or maybe even Leonard's mother. 

OMG, I hope he didn't go visit Leonard's mother. 

I think part of what holds Sheldon back from totally giving himself to Amy (and I truly believe he loves her, look at how he looks at her it's with adoration and I don't think he realizes that he's doing it) is that he believes it will make him just like everyone else; he will be ordinary.  And we all know our Shelly thinks he better than everyone else.  He hasn't figured out that opening yourself up to the one person who can love you unconditionally makes you anything but ordinary, it makes you all the more special.  He's an either/or kind of guy, not a both.  He thinks if he gives in to his "baser" urges and loves Amy he'll never accomplish anything else of worth.  So you either dedicate yourself to Science and be the end all be all or you give yourself to a relationship and become mediocre at everything else. 

He needs to reach the epiphany where loving Amy and her loving him gives him all the more tools to achieve greatness. I think he'll get there sometime.  Someone needs to send that man a text that says "Behind every great man is a great woman". 

I'm sure he'll be pondering the psychics words regardless of their malarkey.

• Like 7

The more I think about it, the more I realize that what really bothers me is not so much the events of the finale, but the uncertainty and suspense of what's going to happen next.  I hate not knowing and being left in the dark.  I'm far too impatient for that, and so many things are left up in the air with this plotline.  I know Sheldon will return, and it seems like he and Amy will still be a couple.  But I hate not knowing what the writers have planned and whether they'll follow through with all of these plot points they've opened up.  If I really think about it, I can kind of get why they didn't resolve things or give us the payoff in the finale.  They want to keep us in that suspense all through the break.  They want us to pine over this and wonder and, like I said in my other post, they want us to react.

The thing is though, if they're going to set us up like this and get us all emotional, then they NEED to give us something next season.  An audience can only take so much before they decide investing in this isn't worth their time.  Just like how some of you here are already ready to throw in the towel.  I'm one of the few, it seems, who doesn't want the two of them to break up.  But I DO want growth.  I want Sheldon to remain Sheldon, but I want to see that he's been enlightened, even if only a tad.  I want to see that all of this time away to reflect on everything has given him a new perspective and that he's finally decided to take all the advice that's been hammered into him and acknowledge his true feelings for Amy and start really showing her in a meaningful way (and no, that doesn't mean sex.  I'd like them to get there eventually, but I think that's still a far ways off).  Deep down, he loves her, and to me, that really comes out in so many ways, even when he's snapping at her about their future.  As many of us have pointed out, it's those things that he knows are truths but that are scary to him that he lashes out about.  If he hadn't thought about a future with Amy, he would have never brought it up, and if he didn't know deep down that he was considering all of that, he wouldn't have stormed out of her apartment.  And I agree with everyone who has talked about the Strawberry Quik line.  That is SO telling to me.  Things ARE better with Amy, and that scares him, because let's face it, he's having emotions he's always denied his entire life, and he really has no tools handy to deal with them.

Since the writers have been so adamant about keeping Sheldon as sheldon, I think really, this was the only way (in their minds at least) to make a "change" in Sheldon and make it seem believable.  He had to go through a bunch of crap and get scared and go off and be alone for a while in order to get all of his thoughts and emotions in order and decide he needs to embrace these changes and his relationship.  So that's why although I hate the idea of not knowing where this is going, and it still hurts a bit that he ran off after snapping at Amy and then not saying goodbye to her, it also gives me hope that because of all of this, and all the foreshadowing throughout this season (the psychic, etc) that it's leading to something even greater for Shamy.

I mean, why would they even do the psychic scene otherwise?  Why have Penny confirm to Sheldon that Amy is the key to his happiness, why set us up with so much hope with the kissing and all the various other things that have happened?  Most of the important plot points do come back around at some point, but sometimes they like to drag it out.  I think they know that many people are very invested in Shamy so they're torturing us by dragging it out even further.  Look at Leonard and Penny even--their relationship went through all sorts of breakups and getting back together and all kinds of drama, and now they're finally engaged.  What I've liked about Shamy is that while they have their own sorts of issues, it's never been so overly dramatic and it hasn't been a roller coaster of breaking up and getting back together.  They actually seem more stable to me as a couple, because despite everything, and even Sheldon's freak out and almost break-up in the Table episode, there's an understanding between them, and there's also a connection--and yes, even LOVE--between them that keeps them together.  

Personally, I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, because I'm hoping it will give me something to cling to after the finale is over, and that maybe rewatching it at that point will also help shed more light on what the writers have been setting up here.  (and I REFUSE to do anything at this point but to believe that all of this IS leading somewhere.  Maybe I'm just fooling myself, but I have to believe the writers aren't that stupid.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they use the take with Sheldon swallowing when Amy shows up in her uniform.  It's little details like that that can say so much.

• Like 8

The more I think about it, the more I realize that what really bothers me is not so much the events of the finale, but the uncertainty and suspense of what's going to happen next.  I hate not knowing and being left in the dark.  I'm far too impatient for that, and so many things are left up in the air with this plotline.  I know Sheldon will return, and it seems like he and Amy will still be a couple.  But I hate not knowing what the writers have planned and whether they'll follow through with all of these plot points they've opened up.  If I really think about it, I can kind of get why they didn't resolve things or give us the payoff in the finale.  They want to keep us in that suspense all through the break.  They want us to pine over this and wonder and, like I said in my other post, they want us to react.

The thing is though, if they're going to set us up like this and get us all emotional, then they NEED to give us something next season.  An audience can only take so much before they decide investing in this isn't worth their time.  Just like how some of you here are already ready to throw in the towel.  I'm one of the few, it seems, who doesn't want the two of them to break up.  But I DO want growth.  I want Sheldon to remain Sheldon, but I want to see that he's been enlightened, even if only a tad.  I want to see that all of this time away to reflect on everything has given him a new perspective and that he's finally decided to take all the advice that's been hammered into him and acknowledge his true feelings for Amy and start really showing her in a meaningful way (and no, that doesn't mean sex.  I'd like them to get there eventually, but I think that's still a far ways off).  Deep down, he loves her, and to me, that really comes out in so many ways, even when he's snapping at her about their future.  As many of us have pointed out, it's those things that he knows are truths but that are scary to him that he lashes out about.  If he hadn't thought about a future with Amy, he would have never brought it up, and if he didn't know deep down that he was considering all of that, he wouldn't have stormed out of her apartment.  And I agree with everyone who has talked about the Strawberry Quik line.  That is SO telling to me.  Things ARE better with Amy, and that scares him, because let's face it, he's having emotions he's always denied his entire life, and he really has no tools handy to deal with them.

Since the writers have been so adamant about keeping Sheldon as sheldon, I think really, this was the only way (in their minds at least) to make a "change" in Sheldon and make it seem believable.  He had to go through a bunch of crap and get scared and go off and be alone for a while in order to get all of his thoughts and emotions in order and decide he needs to embrace these changes and his relationship.  So that's why although I hate the idea of not knowing where this is going, and it still hurts a bit that he ran off after snapping at Amy and then not saying goodbye to her, it also gives me hope that because of all of this, and all the foreshadowing throughout this season (the psychic, etc) that it's leading to something even greater for Shamy.

I mean, why would they even do the psychic scene otherwise?  Why have Penny confirm to Sheldon that Amy is the key to his happiness, why set us up with so much hope with the kissing and all the various other things that have happened?  Most of the important plot points do come back around at some point, but sometimes they like to drag it out.  I think they know that many people are very invested in Shamy so they're torturing us by dragging it out even further.  Look at Leonard and Penny even--their relationship went through all sorts of breakups and getting back together and all kinds of drama, and now they're finally engaged.  What I've liked about Shamy is that while they have their own sorts of issues, it's never been so overly dramatic and it hasn't been a roller coaster of breaking up and getting back together.  They actually seem more stable to me as a couple, because despite everything, and even Sheldon's freak out and almost break-up in the Table episode, there's an understanding between them, and there's also a connection--and yes, even LOVE--between them that keeps them together.  

Personally, I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, because I'm hoping it will give me something to cling to after the finale is over, and that maybe rewatching it at that point will also help shed more light on what the writers have been setting up here.  (and I REFUSE to do anything at this point but to believe that all of this IS leading somewhere.  Maybe I'm just fooling myself, but I have to believe the writers aren't that stupid.) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they use the take with Sheldon swallowing when Amy shows up in her uniform.  It's little details like that that can say so much.

Thank you for living in my head and writing everything that I'm thinking :good:

• Like 2

See that's the thing, we only have taping reports for the next 4 episodes of the season.  And if there's anything I've learned since I started reading the reports is that what is written there and what is seen when it actually airs can be quite different.  With Jim and Mayim especially, there is such nuance in how they deliver the material and in the case of Sheldon and Amy, that nuance and play of body language almost always conveys so much more than the actual dialogue.  That's why I'm seeing it though to the end for all 4 remaining episodes, to get the visual subtext.  I'm sure it won't negate how I feel deep down about the finale, one way or another, but it will give me the correct perspective on what the writers and the actors are trying to get accross (both in dialogue and body language).

• Like 6

In every taping report the language of the Strawberry Quik scene is a little different, so I don't know which one is the most accurate, but the overall sense I get from the exchange is that Sheldon likes it a different way than he usually does it, and he hates that he likes it. (And if Roxanne's report is correct, that he not only likes it equally as much, but likes it BETTER.) That sums up quite a few things which are happening to Sheldon, and should give you a good idea of where Sheldon's head is at. A lot of people have mentioned that what Sheldon is reacting to by taking flight is his natural aversion to change, but I think there's a lot more to it than that and the Strawberry Quik is just an example of the plethora of issues.

To me, these are: change, control, being wrong.

Ironically, there is a big change which Sheldon wants to make in his life, and that's to his career and field of study but the university is not allowing him to make it. (Ding ding ding: hello psychic prediction.) So he's considering leaving the university, because he realizes that his control over his own intellectual pursuits has just been destroyed. Moreover, he thought he could easily change his area of research and found out he was very wrong.

Meanwhile, Leonard and Penny have gotten engaged and are making plans regarding their living arrangements. Sheldon assumed that he would have input into how things would proceed, he thought he would be included in the living arrangements, and he thought that the change would happen at the usual snail's pace he's comfortable with. Boy, was he wrong. Leonard and Penny are making this change and it's out of his control.

As for Amy, that's the ultimate area where he tries very hard to keep things under control via the Relationship Agreement, and he even gloats to Raj that he's managed to get Amy into a position where she's not allowed to be with anyone else but him but at the same time he's unwilling to be fully with her. A part of him has fooled himself into thinking he really has control over the relationship and over her, but another part of him has to be aware that's not true. He also remarks, again, on the "pressure," and as we saw in the scene where she suggests they take a walk and he snaps, "it's all about sex with you," the majority of that pressure is in his head.

Now that I think about it, this is actually the result of the D&D sex at the close of last season. I keep saying that the D&D session was never mentioned again and didn't seem to have any impact on the story because Sheldon seemed to be into it at the time, but hasn't shown any sexual awakening since it happened, and that was confusing to me. Now I realize that that was the moment when Amy told him, straight-forward, that she wants more physical intimacy in the relationship and he became aware that's a need of hers he's not meeting. Since then, he's pushed back at the issue and commented on pressure - some of which is in his head but certainly not all - that I think has stemmed from that conversation. So I guess that the conversation did actually have an impact, just not in the way I, or most Shamy shippers, thought it would. (Or maybe wished it would.)

Maybe it did awaken him sexually on some level, but as we see with the Strawberry Quik, he hates that he likes it. He's not willing to accept it even if it makes him happy. The D&D sex actually added way more pressure to Sheldon to change and evolve in the relationship and he's been struggling with it ever since. Moreover, there is the kiss, something which Sheldon was in the middle of mocking when he did it and found out he was wrong about it being stupid or causing him displeasure. It had quite the opposite effect; he liked it and a part of him is giddy about it while another part of him hates it. Because it means he was wrong, because it means he loses control over his emotions, because it's all part and parcel of the direction in which he needs to change to continue to make it a viable relationship. He doesn't have the tools to handle all of this because a long, long time ago he swore all of this wasn't for him and never would be, and he's never truly made the internal adjustments necessary to embrace being in a relationship and to give up the idea of himself as a special snowflake who was above the pedestrian issues of the average man on the street.

All of those things, and more, have been going on with Sheldon this season, and it's a challenge to his entire self-perception, his ego, his personal fantasy of his life trajectory. I think that if Sheldon had his way, he would be 82 and living in that apartment with Leonard, surrounded by Nobel prizes and occasionally entertaining Penny and Amy as overnight guests. He literally thought that he was going to continue to live with Leonard and Penny would be slowly, one day a week, introduced into his life as another roommate at a pace HE was comfortable with. That entire idea reeks of delusion and denial on the grandest of scales, which Leonard took a sledgehammer to because he literally had no choice but to do so.

So Sheldon is internally going through a bad time. He thought he knew he who he was. He thought he knew where he was going. He thought he knew how he was going to get there. He thought he knew what he liked and didn't like. He thought he had control over all aspects of his life, and worked tirelessly with routines and flow charts and documents and coercion to keep it all in place. Boy, was he wrong. (And he hates being wrong.) Boy, are things going to change. (Leonard is leaving. His mother has a new man in her life. The comic book store burned down. Professor Proton died. He kisses girls now.) Boy, is he not even remotely in control. (His emotions betray with him Amy. The university won't let him change his career. Leonard won't slow down for him. He couldn't bully his mother. He can't stop death. He can't stop natural disasters. He can't prove string theory.) Throw all this and the Strawberry Quik at him, and it creates a situation which Sheldon finds intolerable and incredibly painful. All of his illusions and fantasies and even his happy place are stripped away, and he has to grow up and face reality and he's still not ready. Moreover, this is profound enough that even all of his usual tricks will not work, so he's tossing it all - his routines and his comfort zone and everything else - and he's picking up an aimless lifestyle without any people or work in it. Instead he's going to do about the easiest thing he can manage - board a train, ride it wherever it's going, stop in a hotel, sleep, and then ride the train again. The only needs he has to fill are the clothes on his back and basic hygiene, and he's right that he can easily pick up all of those things on the road via his credit card. He's going to create a new routine without any people to bug him or to care about, without any work or the demands of the office. For all I know he's going to end up watching reruns of the Golden Girls while surrounded by Nobel prizes made of cardboard and play minesweeper and cry a lot. But by god he has to answer to nothing and nobody but himself, and for awhile that's going to feel so much better than where he was in Pasadena.

But it fixes nothing. It doesn't matter what he does or how long he rides the trains. The illusion of being free while on the road is just another illusion he needs right now so he can function. He can interact with nothing but his computer and the goodie-cart lady, but it solves none of his problems. This is his last ditch effort to regain some control over his life, and to give himself some time to deal with everything that he's been in denial about for a long time, but it's still just the "pause" button. He needs to think about it and mourn all of the ridiculous things he believed in, like the idea Leonard would stay forever and, dare I say, his sexual and romantic identity, and then open himself up to the ability to formulate and grasp the new concepts, and try to expand himself far enough to embrace a new personal identity and paradigm.

This is what I assume he'll be doing while out riding the rails: thinking. And basically working on himself. The reason people are mad at him ( I think), is because he should have been doing this all along over the past 3 years he's been in a relationship with Amy, but he hasn't done nearly enough or as much as he thought he had, and that lack of effort is catching up with him now.

In the meantime, I think Amy has been left blindsided. She's worked hard to not spook Sheldon and in the long run there was nothing she could do to control him or the situation either: she thought he was a flight risk and the truth of the matter is that he was. Sadly, she's STILL treating him calmly, and not showing him her true feelings. She is still doing far too much to please him, and in a sense, she has bent over backwards to give him what he wants and to his chagrin that doesn't make him happy either. It's another thing he doesn't like - she gets his food order absolutely correct, for instance, that first time she broaches the idea of moving in with him, and it makes him grumpy and panicked. All his life Sheldon thought he wanted someone to worship him and cater to his whims, and now that Amy is here doing it he actually doesn't like it. (And I'm kind of with him on this, I wouldn't want to be babied either, and unfortunately Amy does too much of that nurturing and enabling, and it's not good for either of them, and especially not good for the relationship.) She is mature and quiet with him on the phone, but the moment she hangs up her true feelings come out as she drives Leonard out of his own apartment, whacking him with a pillow! The girl is upset, and once again, your heart breaks for her but at the same time you have to start to wonder - why is Amy putting up with this? Please don't give me the excuse that she loves him; can she truly love him when she looks out for her own needs and desires so poorly? She's put him ahead of herself, and she centers her life and happiness around him too much and clings to him, and it's undercut her, and it's undercut the relationship too.

She might be staying calm with Sheldon, but she's actually terribly upset. She should be, Amy's biggest issue is clearly being left alone, and Sheldon has abandoned her. And he did it, actually, even though she didn't really do anything to force it to happen, at least not overtly. (Although I do think that her overdrive to please him, and her drive to move in with him and to suggest it at precisely the wrong time for him to hear it is backfiring on her here.) She has made some jokes and comments about sex this season, but when Sheldon plays dumb she immediately drops it. She pulls her hand back instead of touching him, because she's unsure about how that will do over. He kisses her, and he's even the one who will take her hips and draw her closer, but she still doesn't have the courage to touch him back.

Amy has worked so hard, and she clearly loves him so much. To fail to see her get any payoff, and to abandoned when being alone is the thing she fears the most, is simply heart-breaking. She's bent over backwards to try to be the perfect girlfriend and I'm sure that in her eyes she somehow hasn't done enough when I think, in truth, she's actually done too much. I doubt that telling Sheldon to go to hell is going to help her, no matter how emotionally satisfying it would be for her to tell him off, and since she's not psychology ready or willing to let him go anymore (as she still was when she gave him her ultimatum at the start of season six) I don't think she could manage to pull that off anyway. She should tell Leonard and Penny off for their interference and condescension as well, but with Sheldon gone she wouldn't dare also lose her bestie at the same time since it would leave her in the position she's determined to never, ever be in again: alone.

The best thing Amy can do is work on herself, and learning to put her own needs front and center again. To get back some of her sass, her honesty, her spunk, and to stop keeping her mouth shut and being patient in hopes Sheldon will just organically wake up one day and realize what a jewel he has in her. As Penny used to counsel Leonard, Amy's feelings in this relationship matter, and she needs to treat herself as if that is true if she has any hope of commanding her true half of a relationship with someone as stubborn as Sheldon Cooper. She also needs to continue to cultivate her own life now that her time with the gang has given her the tools and better social skills to be able to do so.

Which brings us to the next point: the whole season was Sheldon-centric, not Shamy-centric. The role Amy plays through most of it was little more than a foil that was pushing through some of the plots that were impacting Sheldon. It's always been about Sheldon this season, and very little about Amy and what is going through her head or the development of her character. (She has no friends outside of the gang. She's the only member of the gang whose father we know nothing about.) If there is one thing I feel they need to do for next season if they want to concentrate on this relationship working or not is remember it's not all about Sheldon and spend more time fleshing out Amy. The Shamy relationship is about both characters. You have to concentrate on Amy as much as you focus on Sheldon. The lack of attention to Amy and her side of the story is partly why the relationship has seemed so one-sided in Sheldon's favor, and I hope that if the writers do listen to anything which is debated out in the wild wild fandom on the internet, they note how popular Amy/Mayim and realize that a few Amy-centric stories here and there will be in demand for next season. The attraction is to Shamy, and shipping the couple, from an extremely large section of the fanbase, and only telling Sheldon's side doesn't cut it. It's like watching both Sheldon and the writers both treat Amy/Mayim as secondary to him, and take her for granted, and I personally don't like watching it nor do I feel it suits the story they are trying to tell. It's a relationship, there must be balance, and right now it doesn't have any of that.

Anyway. It might be the best thing for them to be apart. But it sure doesn't feel good, and that's one of the warning signs about this whole kitten caboodle for me as well: gut instinct was mostly shock and distress. The initial reaction was rejection, and the majority of people were extremely upset. As someone who tends not to wear rose-colored glasses, I was not half as upset as others in the ship. You guys have heard me complain, particularly about the doormat they turned Amy into at Thanksgiving. But I didn't feel a big emotional pay off here at the end and I don't know what I think about having to come to terms with it via herculean mental effort than by natural instinct. I think a part of it had to do, too, with the groan-worthy "tradition" they have of sending someone off at the end of the season. Did they really need to keep that plot line alive? Is it really all that cute anymore to have someone leave for the summer if it's not the payoff you organically grew in the storytelling? Can I just groan at the fact that they decided they needed to do that again? Does it have to do with the fact that this actually solves nothing, that they spent an entire Sheldon-centric season pushing Sheldon forward and working on Sheldon's character development, and the pay off is that they pull a massive cop out and simply send him off, immature enough to face any of his problems, buying time and making no definitive statements or answers about his "deal" or progress or anything they've been building towards? Really, you spent a whole season concentrating on Sheldon and moving him forward and your punchline is to have him regress backwards way further than the place he started this season, at Amy's door, telling her relationships are hard, he likes her quirks and all, and he's in it for the long haul?

There's no emotional pay off here. Sheldon has gone backwards, and "dealing with it" is on hold while he rides around on the train "thinking." While Lenny Shippers make wedding plans (and congrats to them, sincerely), Shamy shippers are aimlessly dithering around "on pause." They aren't together, they aren't broken up, they're separated and we're all, literally, "on a break" and spinning our wheels until we get answers. Sorry for the cliff hanger, but those cliffs gotta hang. It's going to be endless speculation and a gazillion fan fics about Mee Maw "fixing" everything even though the whole point of Leonard and Penny seeing Sheldon off was them saying goodbye to their role as his pseudo-parenting. No more pseudo parenting. This can't be fixed with a Snickerdoodle.

It's funny, a recent interview with Molaro today has him saying: I know I have no choice but to move forward. Well, that is true. Molaro and Sheldon both must move forward; they have no choice. But they have a whole summer to think about how they are going to do it. I don't know what choices they are going to make, but if we combust the status quo only to return to it 4 months from now, I think there's going to be a lot of remotes smacking a lot of TV screens across the US. How long is Sheldon and his development going to take, and how long should we and Amy hold out until we've lost our patience and our appetite for it?

ETA: Might be the longest post I ever made. Everyone who is playing the TBBT forum game at home: DRINK.

And not the Strawberry Quik that started this mess either. Unless you spiked it. In which case, I approve.

ur post is the best thing tat i ve read today...

u ve analyzed it so well!

At least this chaotic final brings us many new awesome posters and insights.Thanks for that.

ok, so to sum up :

1) Sheldon has to accept changes.

2) Amy has to gain more self-respect.

3) Sheldon and Amy have to be honest with each other and clearly explain what they feel, what they want and where the relationship is going.

Here's the big 3 for me and what I think some of us have brillantly developped in their post. I don't know what the writers are planning, but I want that at least one of these points is solved in the beggining of S8. They can take their time for the rest but I need something to keep my hopes high and strengthen my faith for this couple.

Edit: I spoiled one friend of mine who's a casual viewer, I explained to her the final and my concerns and she said : "Whao that's so cool, what a great final !" Wanna slap her in the face at that moment... tss muggles... *and I think she saw my demonic face and immediatly change the subject...poor girl lol*

You summed it up brilliantly Rose!! Actually, at least for me the most urgent one is for Amy to gain her sass and self respect back. I would love the others too but that is a must for me.

I know I was talking about that with ky sister in the phone but she was kind enough to try and soothe me :) She is away working and I will miss her so much plus I lost my tbbt buddy :( Anyway she told me that it's only natural if the want to keep up for three more years and that it will be ok and I was all like "but Shamy doesn't need the dramaaa!!!!!"

Thanks Rose for your post and may I add that I am really glad we have new people here!!!! :)

• Like 2

Soo I finally got to the point, where I can write something ... I was sad and pissed of for Shamy whole yesterday, but today I was in my psychology class and we were talking about breakdowns and  that made me think that this was a real bottom for Sheldon. Everything that happened lead him to this and from the bottom, there is only one way to go and that is UP. So we have good ending after all because that's can be only  better and better from this point. We wanna change and grow in Sheldon and we gonna get it. And in the first place in his relationship with Amy, I think. That's AWESOME :dancing:

HAPPY EPISODE day everyone :bye:

• Like 2

Edit: I spoiled one friend of mine who's a casual viewer, I explained to her the final and my concerns and she said : "Whao that's so cool, what a great final !" Wanna slap her in the face at that moment... tss muggles... *and I think she saw my demonic face and immediatly changed the subject...poor girl lol*

Sounds like Mayim's reaction.   :p

• Like 2

I'm a newbie here, so hey everyone. :) I don't have much to say. I think you all covered everything.

But holy crud, guys. The NEGATIVITY. Dang. I can hardly wrap my brain around all this pessimism.

Some shippers are like...

a6enu2ah.jpg

And the some people are like...

yvu3anaj.jpg

So here's a picture of a puppy.

azagesyr.jpg

And here's a picture of some guy wearing a huge scarf.

aty6u5e9.jpg

Look. Baby pandas.

7azypyty.jpg

I hope you guys all feel better, because this forum is depressing me beyond belief.

*Hugs*

4uzena3a.jpg

THAT GUY WITH THE HUGE SCARF THO OMG I CANT BREATHE >.< (IReallyDontKnowWhyThatMadeMeLaughSoMuchButItDid)

• Like 4

Right. So. I got lured into fandom when I heard about the events of 'The Locomotive Manipulation'. I have been lured further out of lurkdom by my annoyance at the finale taping report.

Here's why I ship Sheldon and Amy: I think Parsons and Bialik are terrific together. Also, as a recovering academic, I have a weakness for stories about cerebral oddballs navigating the treacherous waters of love and sex. And the potential for a story like that lurks somewhere in Parsons and Bialik's performances, if not in the writing.

Because the writing? Makes me seriously question whether I'm supposed to root for these two to continue together in a romantic relationship. Is Amy using the pretence of caregiving to push Sheldon into a situation he doesn't want? Is Sheldon exploiting Amy's loneliness? If either of those two things is true, that's awful, let alone both.

And, look, if I'm honest, it's been a while since Doctors Fowler and Cooper seemed to enjoy each other's society.

So why continue? Bloody Parsons and Bialik, that's why. That pair could sell me my own shoes and charge me rent. Curse them.

But, chaps, there is a limit. If Season Eight returns and Sheldon comes home to a rapturous reception, with Amy clinging to his knees while he gazes loftily into the distance, I. will. throw. something.

What would I like? Yes to Amy breaking up with Sheldon. Come on now, writers. You like sending people away? You want to throw Sheldon into a tizzy? Some more? Here's your chance.

My proposition: Sheldon returns to find Leonard and Penny vaguely welcoming, but mostly wrapped up in their own affairs. Amy's addiction study has attracted media attention and/or a cover article in Nature and/or masses of funding, and she's monster busy. He holds forth about his Precious Insights or whatever. She hears him out, says 'The trip was useful, then. Good. Because I am serving you notice for termination of the relationship.'

Amy bonds with Emily over their shared love of cutting things and maybe a new geeky interest for Amy in the form of horror films? Then, by some mysterious dispensation of providence, Sheldon is Leonard's Best Man at the wedding, and Amy is Penny's Maid of Honour? And the two of them bitch and bicker and snipe and finally clear the air about everything that was one-sided and bullshitty about their relationship. You know, something along the lines of:

Sheldon: [suggests some random line of action]

Amy [tries a few times, then says 'This isn't working']

Sheldon; [Well, then, give up! That's what you do best!']

Amy: [sheldon, you know what Einstein said was the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result]

Sheldon: [Firstly, Einstein may not have said that. Secondly, I'm not insane. My mother had me tested.]

And so forth.

It wont happen, will it? Sigh. Will someone write me fic for this, then? Pretty, pretty please?

Also, someone with knowledge of neuroscience and physics, if you could dream up a way for the two of them to work together, that would be marvellous.

This.is.awesome.

• Like 1