The Shamy - Season 7 Spoilers Only Discussion Thread

rachelshamyfan

I don't think most of us are expecting a speedy resolution, i.e. Sheldon returns in episode 1 and confesses his undying love and he's suddenly worked everything out in his life and relationship.  At least I'm not.  What I do expect though is that the writers have definitely set up the plot lines to lead toward change.  What I WANT to happen is to see that Sheldon has at least worked through a few things when he does return, and that while he's still the same old Sheldon, he has come to terms with some of these changes and has maybe figured out a thing or two (even though he's still struggling), and that as the season progresses, we'll see him able to slowly do what the psychic said and open himself up fully to his relationship with Amy.  But like everything else with Sheldon, it will take time.  It's not going to happen overnight, or in one or two episodes.  There's been SO much setup though, and I really do think that it WILL have a payoff.  There would be absolutely not reason to even GO there if they weren't planning for something.

Yeah, I agree. I don't expect Sheldon to come back a different person. I don't even know what kind of change will occur while he's off riding trains and ignoring the real world. I know it will make for some great comedic bits, but I don't know how it's going to help his current situation. I guess he'll probably return having done a lot of thinking. If so, I can see him walking through the door with a newly compiled list of rules that dictate how everything is going to be. He can figure out what to do with his career. He can figure out an alternative living arrangement. He can come to terms with Professor Proton's death. The comic book store will probably be refurbished by the time he comes back. The only thing he can't fix while he's gone is his relationship with Amy. I'm just hoping with everything else squared away, he'll be able to put his energy into their relationship again. I don't think this "trip" has anything to do with them as a couple, I think it's about everything getting in their way. So I see their relationship at a stand-still until he gets home. That's when they're going to hash things out.

• Like 6

Ok so I am glad you all liked the episode!! I haven't watched it yet but I cannot wait unti I can!!! The psychic scene and the tag sounds as really really interesting and if things are as you describe it guys then I am sure I will love it. Glad they kept the gulp at the tag!!! I think we can now add that at the list of Sheldon's "misfortunes" cause he was affected by her and just like the Quick he hates the fact that he loves it.

What I can tell about that story arch is that it is amazingly written especially in regards to Sheldon. From the moment they gave him that discovery that turned out to be wrong they knew what they were doing with his chatacter. Maybe they didn't know how they would reach the point they wanted but I fail to see that all was created by chance. At first he had it all, Leonard was back, his relationship with Amy was going pretty good and then he made that discovery and I think he was really happy then and probably believed that nothing could spoil that happiness. I imagine him watching his life through a cloth. He could see that something was happening and he was happy with the way he thought things happened. And then the writers ripped the cloth and left him gaze the absolute truth. You can be a genius and not have success, your mom is not a saint, Leonard is leaving, the people you love will eventually die, Amy wants more, Sheldon wants more and that's when he cannot handle it anymore. Of course the comic book store is pretty serious but I see it as kind of a symbolic thing making Sheldon realize that you cannot treat like your life is a sanctuary cause life is hard and it's hard for everyone and people with more problems than him are going through more difficult stuff. I am not trying to diminish his problems cause either way that is his life and he shoukd handle it and it's hard. I just think that he needs to realize that he isn't the center if the world,life moves on with or without him cause that's the way things work for all of us. I don't mean to sound repetitive I just wanted to congratulate the writers for creating an arch like that which majes total sense including the finale and I am sure it will continue just as strong.

What worries me is where is Amy in all these?? I realize it might be a willing choice to focus on Sheldon but I think it's vital right now to focus on Amy too. She should go through some troubles on her own in order to realize one thing or two. Yes it is wonderful that she understands him and I think it would be perfection if she was the one urging him leave at the train station. But the on the one hand she is silent and calm and at the other she bursts and accuses Leonard. She is clearly hurt and upset but the writers usually just don't care to give us an insight on her thoughts. What Michy said about her conversation with Leonard is really nice (besides I hate her being jelous of Penny). We have seen her go all stiff when anything physical happens but we don't know why or if it is significant for the story. We only get those small peeks on her personality and her emotions and then we end up with a door shut on our faces.We saw Shelnard talking about the SIK and it was wonderful why not Pamy?? What did she feel?? Was she scared?? How did Sheldon's lips tasted?? I trust the writers in general and I bet my arm that there will be mind blowing moments next season but all I want is a little trip on Amy's thoughts and feelings. To watch her grow and not become a caricature of herself who would put up with anything cause she is just Amy. I love that she understands him but if he come back and she is all cheerful and happy not insecure at all as she should be or hurt as she should be then I don't know what should I expect fron this character. I sumpathize with Sheldon damn I feel pretty bad for him but I don't know how much longer I can watch things his way. I need Amy's way because they are a couple. That's the only thing troubling me right now and it has nothing to do with season seven which in my book is a success. I just wanna know that season eight will finally deal with Amy as a real character and let her grow. She is not a doormat cause deep down she always was confident and sassy but maybe she is overwhelmed with living things she necer expected to. But she needs to come out of this phase. So fingers crossed for more Amy next season!!! ;)

• Like 3

Amy is my favorite character, so I understand the concern that she not just be left in the background with no focus on her own needs or progression.  But at this point, I'm not too worried.  I do wish they'd focus on her more, but I don't see her as a doormat currently like some other people do.  As has been pointed out, she sticks up for herself when she needs to, but at other times she lets things go, and I think that speaks more for her understanding of Sheldon than anything else.

As for season 8, I'm no longer worried at all.  While there's drama of course, we need to remember that this is first and foremost a comedy.  I think a lot of us have focused on doom and gloom over the past couple of days when we discovered the finale wasn't what we were hoping for, but I think we've all established that this can turn into a fabulous season 8 for Shamy (arguably, even better than what any of us envisioned with an ILY or something at the finale because now Sheldon can hopefully come to better grips with his feelings and what he wants from this relationship, which really needs to happen with a character like him in order to fully embrace it all).  With all the build up and with Sheldon calling her at the end of the season, it doesn't look like the writers have a breakup planned.  I can see them starting off the season with some funny plots for Sheldon on the train, and keeping things mostly light-hearted.  But I do think that when he's back, it will be apparent how he's missed her, and like I said before, I think he's really going to try to move himself toward that place he knows he needs and wants to be with Amy.  It's just going to be a progression, as is realistic for him.  I really think the two of them are going to be just fine, both together and individually.  I do hope we'll get to see a bit more from Amy's perspective though next season.

• Like 7

Beautifully said, Cecilia. Despite the issues several have with Sheldon centric story lines, I agree with your perspective on how the writers have handled it. I'd like to add to it further by highlighting how they have managed to mature his relationships with the other characters who have been with him from the beginning during Season 7.

After 7 seasons, despite the insults and sarcasm for comedic reasons, he finally sees Penny as someone who can offer advice worth taking and can sit down and discuss his issues with. The fact that in the finale, we hear that he has given her great praise to Beverley is further evidence of this. I think it is a beautiful touch that it is Penny who recognizes the need for him to get away and deal with his dilemma alone and that hug and kiss she gives him is a great way of shoeing how that relationship has grown both ways ( I know its dangerous talking about a Shenny moment in a Shamy thread but as a newbie I'll take the hits!)

After 7 seasons he can finally, warmly and openly give Leonard a hug as seen in Proton promo photos and this is a follow up to his heartfelt speech to him after his refusal of Penny's proposal ( regardless of the unnecessary kick me sign tag ).

After 7 seasons we finally see a real relationship with Howard. Some of their scenes together in late S7 have been incredibly well acted and shown real growth in both of them.

After 7 seasons, we finally see him having a real adult conversation with Raj in ep 23 outside the topic of science or geekdom

After 7 seasons, he can finally have an adult conversation with his mother and challenge her authority, her actions and beliefs.

Which brings me to Amy. She has made amazing progress with him in 4 seasons. Much has been said about the pace of their relationships growth. Many here want it to have progressed further by now but considering it has taken him so long to cement adult relationships ( far, far from perfect I know and still liable to regress) with his long time friends, maybe more time is needed for him to work out what he really feels about Amy.

Maybe the writers have it right and didn't want to resolve it before season 8. Maybe she does need time apart from Sheldon so she can work out what she really feels too.

Maybe she and Penny have more in common than we consider and while some here think it is lazy and cliched to use the same plot device, maybe Amy needs to have time with her girl friends ( Bernadette, Penny and who knows, Emily - she did bond with her in her first appearance and Emily had some good advice for Raj on their first date) exploring and opening up about her feelings like Penny did in season 4 and early 6. Maybe she needs Sheldon to finally realise he needs her like Leonard did with Penny and have him barge in and ask her out a la 5.13.

I'm not a Shamy shipper and don't have the same commitment to their story as most of you in here and was reluctant to give my opinion when many here are still quite emotional ( although it's good to see many have settled down after the initial traumatic experience ) but I do LOVE the show and I hope Season 8 will see Sheldon and Amy get there like Lenny have. And as I said it's taken the others 7 seasons to get there with Sheldon - it's not to hard to accept a 5 year success Story for Shamy, is it?

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 3

Are people expecting a quick resolution to this at the start of s8???

I would like to see it and be proven wrong but the whole point of it is that Sheldon hates all the changes going on and IMO he's not gonna come back magically all ok

i really dont want a quick resolution...

• Like 1

Are people expecting a quick resolution to this at the start of s8???

I would like to see it and be proven wrong but the whole point of it is that Sheldon hates all the changes going on and IMO he's not gonna come back magically all ok

I am not. I want to see Amy on her own for a while being bad-ass at her work! I want Sheldon to realize that freaking out and running away might have cleared his head(if at all :)), but he still needs to work a lot as far as Amy is concerned. And I want Amy to really let Sheldon go and see what happens!! I don't mind if they are not together for a better part of the season, as far as it does just by Amy's character!

So, I watched. I may give more of my two cents later. But for now I just wanted to comment on how much the psychic scene struck me for Sheldon in regards to his relationship with Amy.

He gives the psychic this long look as she is going on about how Amy is the secret to his happiness and you can just see his wheels turning. It is almost as if the psychic is uncovering one of his biggest secrets that he always wanted to hide.

This to me was again, so very revealing.  I'm now sure that I was totally right in my assumption that HE KNOWS.  He knows deep down how he feels about Amy and that she loves him.  And it scares the ever living hell out of him cause he's not ready to deal with it. 

You guys. Sheldon teared up. I watched the episode with my dad to cheer him up and even he pointed it out immediately.

Sheldon reacting to the psychic really hit me in the gut. It was perfect and a good lesson why I shouldn't jump to conclusions about episodes I haven't seen yet. The finale already sounds much more hopeful after seeing this and I find myself more and more sympathetic to Sheldon's problems.

Oh, and yes. Gulping is definitely Sheldon's tell.

Good, I'm glad I didn't imagine the tearing up cause I was convinced I was seeing it too but my husband kept saying no!  My God Jim is so winning another Emmy this year.  If he acted this scene out so brilliantly, I can't wait to see the finale (even though it will make me cringe and cry for Amy).  The taping reports didn't even come close to capturing that scene... it really just needed to be seen to understand the depth and sheer impact of it.

And lol at the Gulping, I think you can maybe add him saying "Uhm" as well.  I find when he's at a loss for words, that's when you can tell Sheldon is really affected by something ;)

But we all saw Sheldon's face tonight when the psychic said that his personal and professional life would fall into place as soon as he gave in to Amy. This is something he knows, but if he couldn't find a way to let her in when his life wasn't falling apart, how is he suppose to do it now? He was on his way. He told her that he liked her, quirks and all. He added kissing to their relationship agreement. Now everything is falling apart and he's probably pushing against the thing that scares him the most and that's Amy. Does she deserve it? Probably not. But she really isn't half the doormat we've made her out to be. Wasn't tonight's episode about her lying to Sheldon so she wouldn't have to hear about his problems anymore? It's all about the give and take. It just so happens that Sheldon is about to take a lot. It's a cluster of unfortunate circumstances that we can only hope will bring them closer together. As far as their individual needs are concerned, he needs her more than she needs him right now. Maybe that's why it's ok that she let him leave. Maybe that's why it's ok that she didn't get emotional about it. He needs her. She just has to let him come to that conclusion on his own because no amount of strong-arming is going to change things.

I agree 100%.  Especially the bolded parts, which are spot on.

• Like 2

Just been thinking of Bill Prady old tweet "if you have never experienced loneliness, you will never be able to experience intimacy" (something like that)
Maybe he was refering to this end of the season ?

• Like 2

Just been thinking of Bill Prady old tweet "if you have never experienced loneliness, you will never be able to experience intimacy" (something like that)

It was actually Eric Kaplan's quote but yeah, kind of foreshadowing much?  I have a hard time believing its not relevant.  As much as they say they don't plan in advance, I think they do, but only for the major arcs.  They don't plan it all out but I do believe they have a loose idea of where their arcs are heading then they fill in the details later on.

• Like 1

It was actually Eric Kaplan's quote but yeah, kind of foreshadowing much?  I have a hard time believing its not relevant.  As much as they say they don't plan in advance, I think they do, but only for the major arcs.  They don't plan it all out but I do believe they have a loose idea of where their arcs are heading then they fill in the details later on.

I agree, I was really thinking this applied to Raj, especially after seeing 7.23...but also because I thought it couldn't apply to Sheldon or Amy who have been alone most of their youth. But then thinking about it more, I realized being alone and experiencing loneliness is totally different. And Sheldon has never experienced loneliness, he has always though that he was so interesting all on his own (As he said at Howard's wedding, "may you find as much happiness with each other as I find on my own." I think that this trip will be about experiencing loneliness for Sheldon and the realization that he needs Amy and others in his life and he is more happy with them than alone. 

• Like 8

Can someone GIF the tag (at least the gulp) and the juicy parts of the psychic scene? My DVR didn't record the episode. I watched it live...but I think we'd all benefit from further "study" of these two moments. ;-)

Edited by Retroluv

Can someone GIF the tag (at least the gulp) and the juicy parts of the psychic scene? My DVR didn't record the episode. I watched it live...but I think we'd all benefit from further "study" of these two moments. ;-)

Here's the psychic scene in gif:

http://womenneverreallyfaint.tumblr.com/post/83793783034/s07e21-the-anything-can-happen-recurrence

There are already lots of gifs of the gulp all over tumblr, but if you want to rewatch the whole scene you can find it here: http://shamy-edits.tumblr.com/post/83776369328/shamy-edits-7x21-anything-can-happen-recurrence-tag#notes

Edited by Jaime
  • Like 2

Here's the psychic scene in gif:

http://womenneverreallyfaint.tumblr.com/post/83793783034/s07e21-the-anything-can-happen-recurrence

There are already lots of gifs of the gulp all over tumblr, but if you want to rewatch the whole scene you can find it here: http://shamy-edits.tumblr.com/post/83776369328/shamy-edits-7x21-anything-can-happen-recurrence-tag#notes

Umm....WOW.  :swoon: 

• Like 1

OK trying really hard to ignore the final and my immense dislike of it

Jim and Mayim were great in last nights episode, sad emotions and all that and the uniform thing was the one Lol I did

I hope that something good comes out of all this but I think it will be slow process and I'm not sure if my poor shamy shipper heart can take it :(

Edited by rachelshamyfan